Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning!

Big ben had no running game to speak of. had to go out and win the game with his arm. he put it up 43 times and completed 33 and threw for almost 400 yards against a very good defense. There's no guarantee that brees could do that when not in softie confines of his weak division! that was big boy football last night and ben stood up and stood out. the guy is clutch, mobile and a "winner". what has brees ever won?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning!

Try the second best QB behind Brady. Manning has teh stats but cant win the big game. Big Ben can and so he is the 2nd best QB. Brees is good but no title means not a top QB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning!

Last night Big Ben proved nothing more than that if you let a quarterback (any quarterback) stand in the pocket for a week and a half he will eventually find an open man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

2 missed FG's and winning the coin toss.He may not be an elite QB but he sure is lucky.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

In Response to Re: Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning!:
    Try the second best QB behind Brady. Manning has teh stats but cant win the big game. Big Ben can and so he is the 2nd best QB. Brees is good but no title means not a top QB.
    Posted by MVPkilla

WOW! killa with an actual  point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

In Response to Re: Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning!:
    2 missed FG's and winning the coin toss.He may not be an elite QB but he sure is lucky.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-

hey cow, that doesn't happen if tavares jackson is your QB. luk, mojo, karma, tuck rule... those are things that ONLY seem to happen to the best. part of their aura! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Last night Big Ben proved nothing more than that if you let a quarterback (any quarterback) stand in the pocket for a week and a half he will eventually find an open man.
    Posted by prairiemike

His last pass was not lucky. That was just great instinct.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Posted by cowtherabbit-

Just a correction - one missed field goal and one blocked. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning! : WOW! killa with an actual  point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by choircontrarian

????

Do you even understand the irony in what you are writing?  You've gone 0-fer in making a point in any of your posts. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning!:
    Big ben had no running game to speak of. had to go out and win the game with his arm. he put it up 43 times and completed 33 and threw for almost 400 yards against a very good defense. There's no guarantee that brees could do that when not in softie confines of his weak division! that was big boy football last night and ben stood up and stood out. the guy is clutch, mobile and a "winner". what has brees ever won?
    Posted by bubbakilla

You give Drew Brees Worthlisberger's defense and recievers and he will turn the Steelers into the greatest team ever assembled. He isn't good just because he can stay in the pocket and get ampled time to make a decision in a zone defense with 0 pass rush. If Albert Haynesworth was still on the Titans we would be talking about how the Steelers looked flat and feeble. If you're stupid enough to say Ben is better than Peyton you must have started watching football last week. Peyton Manning can win the big game. If he had the Patriot defense (01-04) or the Steelers' defense he would probably have 4 or 5 SB rings by now (Ofcourse, so should Tom if he still had the 03 defense or the Steelers' D. If he had a reliable defense he beats the Colts in '06, he beats the Giants in '07)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

1a.) Tom Brady 1b.) Peyton Manning (They are the two best QBs I've seen in my lifetime. They are tied in my eyes, I can't put one over the other.)
    3. Brees
    4. McNabb
    5. Philip Rivers 

Trust me, Roethlisberger doesn't join the list until we reach the double digits. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

22.6 QB rating in a SB negates all thoughts of that. They won a SB against Seattle and he had zero to do with it in that game

9/21 2 picks 0 TD's and 123 yards

Randel El was a better QB than him that game

He's still one of the best in the league though by default. He not better than Brees or as much as I hate to say it Philip Rivers either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Insane. No one touched on the 17 yard sack to get out of FG range? That's elite?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Re: Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning! : hey cow, that doesn't happen if tavares jackson is your QB. luk, mojo, karma, tuck rule... those are things that ONLY seem to happen to the best. part of their aura! 

I'll give him this,he wins a lot of games,but he isn't going to the HOF based on his stats. 1 TD and 2 INT's isn't exactly what an elite QB should be doing,and yes the best QB's seem to have that little xtra bit of luck on their side.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph60. Show tph60's posts

A strong  argument can be made that Ben is already the top clutch QB in the league right now. He  seems to get stronger and  more accurate as the game goes on.  He seems to have no fear in crunch time. One of the toughest things to do is rally your team after it has just had a punch in the gut--like the Cardinals gave the Steelers, and the Giants gave to the Pats.  Ben was able to take the Steelers 88 yds (after penalty) down the field with the SB hanging in the balance. Tom Brady could not rally his team in similar circumstances. Peyton Manning has had problems in many playoff games.And Ben already has more 4th quarter comebacks since 2004 than any other QB. When  the game is on the line, I want the ball in  Big Ben 's hands.

In Response to Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning! : You give Drew Brees Worthlisberger's defense and recievers and he will turn the Steelers into the greatest team ever assembled. He isn't good just because he can stay in the pocket and get ampled time to make a decision in a zone defense with 0 pass rush. If Albert Haynesworth was still on the Titans we would be talking about how the Steelers looked flat and feeble. If you're stupid enough to say Ben is better than Peyton you must have started watching football last week. Peyton Manning can win the big game. If he had the Patriot defense (01-04) or the Steelers' defense he would probably have 4 or 5 SB rings by now (Ofcourse, so should Tom if he still had the 03 defense or the Steelers' D. If he had a reliable defense he beats the Colts in '06, he beats the Giants in '07)
    Posted by 49Patriots

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

I don't know how to explain Ben. He makes plays and wins games but looks awful doing it. He looked alternately awful and awesome last night.

He holds the ball so long that it allows him to find guys against a weak rush. It also allows him to take 19 yard sacks when he can't slip away. He's big, and is slippery, but after watching that game last night I'm convinced he's due to take some Bledsoe like shots (Mo Lewis hit) throughout his career.

He doesn't read and exploit a defense as well as Brees, Brady, and Manning (he's also younger than those guys) but he makes plays and is a winner which is what you want in a QB. I put him behind these 3 but he's a stud.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning! : A strong  argument can be made that Ben is already the top clutch QB in the league right now. He  seems to get stronger and  more accurate as the game goes on.  He seems to have no fear in crunch time. One of the toughest things to do is rally your team after it has just had a punch in the gut--like the Cardinals gave the Steelers, and the Giants gave to the Pats.  Ben was able to take the Steelers 88 yds (after penalty) down the field with the SB hanging in the balance. Tom Brady could not rally his team in similar circumstances. Peyton Manning has had problems in many playoff games.And Ben already has more 4th quarter comebacks since 2004 than any other QB. When  the game is on the line, I want the ball in  Big Ben 's hands.
    Posted by tph60

Tom Brady couldn't Rally his team? Have you watched any of the other superbowls he has played in, I'm pretty sure he rallied his team in all of those, and correct me if I'm wrong, but before the catch by tyree, didnt brady just march down the field and score a touchdown. I dont think any QB ever could drive down the field in 33 seconds cause thats how much time he had. In fact he almost made a throw to moss which could have resulted in a touchdown. So dont bring that point into play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangGator. Show MustangGator's posts

1a.) Tom Brady 1b.) Peyton Manning (They are the two best QBs I've seen in my lifetime. They are tied in my eyes, I can't put one over the other.) 3. Brees 4. McNabb 5. Philip Rivers  Trust me, Roethlisberger doesn't join the list until we reach the double digits. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Wow, McNabb over Rivers.  The same McNabb that was benched last year?  Hey, should throw Kerry Collins up there since winning titles seem to be what matters when ranking best QBs.  Didn't he when a championship with the NYG?  Can anyone say Quarterback ratings, yards, etc.  Lets  just lay it out on paper in order of championships. In that case, yes Brady is number one. Peyton and Collins would then be tied as best. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Last night Big Ben proved why he is the THIRD best QB (not Brees), behind brady and manning! : hey cow, that doesn't happen if tavares jackson is your QB. luk, mojo, karma, tuck rule... those are things that ONLY seem to happen to the best. part of their aura! 

Chance favors the prepared mind.  The better you are, the luckier you will get.  These are two of the most true statements in life.  So I guess my bad luck is due to me being...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Ben is a winner.  I could care less what his stats are and what his QB rating is.  He wins games period.  He has been a winner since he entered the league.  He's had what, one off year?  Some players just have the intangibles that make them real good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

This is a joke right?  Nobody actually thinks that Big Ben is legit the 3rd best quarterback in the league do they?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

You have to like the guy, although I'm no Steeler's fan.....he can't keep taking hits like he did Thurs night...that O-line looked lost in the first half....much better in the 2nd half. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Posted by MVPkilla

Once again with the ridiculous comments.  Wonder why objective experts have manning first - see sporting news.  Go watch Brewski with whine on ESPN

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adonadio. Show adonadio's posts

This is a great thread. I think if you rate a QB on his ability to flat out win then Ben is second behind Brady no questions here. His winning percentage since 2004 is only second to Brady. If you rate statistics than he is not even in the top 10 but this is where it gets tricky. The Steelers are not a pass happy team, although lately their run game has been awful going back to last year. I also think Tomlin trusts Ben now to throw it 40 times a game like he did on Thursday and come up with the plays to win down the stretch.

While he does hold on to the ball too long, he also makes great plays and is elusive as well so you take the good with the bad. With Troy out now for a few weeks, I think you will see the Steelers really open things up on offense as they will be forced to score more points to win.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

There seems to be a never ending debate on what exactly makes a QB "great". From a standpoint of putting up stats, you have to put guys like Manning, Brees, Marino, and even Rivers into that category. But if you favor the intangibles, like just winning games and making clutch plays even when you don't have glitzy numbers, Brady and Roethlisberger have to top that list. For those who cite Ben's pitiful numbers in SB40, you have to remember he had a QB rating of around 120 for the first three playoff games that season. He is surrounded by a good team, but the guy comes through in the clutch. He does hold onto the ball too long, and takes a lot of sacks he maybe shouldn't. But the plays he makes when extending plays more than make up for it, IMO. So while we'll never agree on who is the best simply because we have such diverse qualifications, it I had to choose a QB to lead my team, Ben would probably be second behind Brady. Not to belittle guys like Manning, Brees, or Rivers, but I put more weight on getting the job done when push comes to shove.

Sections
Shortcuts