Last night did turn out as many expected.. right?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Last night did turn out as many expected.. right?

Well, how many here, with all the missing players and youth of this team, to a great degree thought last night's game may have been the "ugly" game it turned out to be?

As the week led up to this game, more often than not, most here scoffed at the point spread the Pats would win by 10+ points.  Many believed the Pats would struggle against the Jets, who always plays the Pats tough, with all those first line players missing from the offense.  The youth of the receiving corps still needs time to get in sync with TB off of the results of the game against the Bills.  2 games do not make a smooth running machine out of the gate.

There was the occassional wishful thinking this would be a blowout win, but, most said no.  Yes, that first possession leading to a TD may have caused an upswelling of a blowout, but, the remaining 56 minutes of the game deflated those thoughts.

Looks like the game showed the Pats, at this juncture, are the team we think they are right now.  It needs time to be that SB contender we want it to be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Re: Last night did turn out as many expected.. right?

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Well, how many here, with all the missing players and youth of this team, to a great degree thought last night's game may have been the "ugly" game it turned out to be?

As the week led up to this game, more often than not, most here scoffed at the point spread the Pats would win by 10+ points.  Many believed the Pats would struggle against the Jets, who always plays the Pats tough, with all those first line players missing from the offense.  The youth of the receiving corps still needs time to get in sync with TB off of the results of the game against the Bills.  2 games do not make a smooth running machine out of the gate.

There was the occassional wishful thinking this would be a blowout win, but, most said no.  Yes, that first possession leading to a TD may have caused an upswelling of a blowout, but, the remaining 56 minutes of the game deflated those thoughts.

Looks like the game showed the Pats, at this juncture, are the team we think they are right now.  It needs time to be that SB contender we want it to be.

Wow! That's way too rational for this place!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

^ - What was I thinking?  (-;

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

^ - What was I thinking?  (-;

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

Well, stop it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

You are on the money with this.  The media was more optimistic about the Pats than the fans on BDC were.  I think we got what we expected and the win we hoped for.

Did you hear Rex when he was asked if that first TD was a blown coverage?  He said yes it was and  added something like " the first clue is that there was no one there"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

You are on the money with this.  The media was more optimistic about the Pats than the fans on BDC were.  I think we got what we expected and the win we hoped for.

Did you hear Rex when he was asked if that first TD was a blown coverage?  He said yes it was and  added something like " the first clue is that there was no one there"

It wasn't a blown coverage. The entire secondary bit on the play fake. For it to be a blown coverage they would have needed to be in coverage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It wasn't a blown coverage. The entire secondary bit on the play fake. For it to be a blown coverage they would have needed to be in coverage.

[/QUOTE]

The truth!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I posted yesterday before the game 19-17...I wasnt expecting the PAts offense to be quite as bad as they played, but lets give the rain 6 points.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That is the second thing baffling me about this. 

Eveyone on this board knew it was going to be tough going without Gronk and witha  totally fresh corps (except a few who didn't want to admit it, and some others who were waving pom poms).

The questions were: Can the running game carry the offense? No. Will the rookies be ahead of the curve? No. Can the second year defenders make this into a defense that can win those low scoring games? So far ...a resounding yes.

And I think those answers were the expected answers.

The other thing baffling is how all of a sudden everyone seems to think that receiving football coaching or leadership should be like receiving life advice from Stuart Smalley. That's a story for another thread. 

To be honest, I'm just shocked that there aren't more defensive threads praising that unit. Yes, Buffalo and the Jets are probably two of the worst offenses in the NFL ... but in two weeks, without the usual high score, consistent field position, and consistent first down support from the offense that they've been accustomed too, they've allowed just 24 points on an astounding 29 drives!!

That is less than a point per drive. It's really incredible how they've hung in there. That is a result from how much Dennard, Jones, et al, have improved. 

But instead we get like five wierd threads about how a vet yelled at a rookie. lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

People panic if everything isn`t perfect. Im just going to try and enjoy the little things about the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

People panic if everything isn`t perfect. Im just going to try and enjoy the little things about the season.

Absolutely, this is going to be a great ride this year!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Some of the comments I heard during the week on TV reminded me of the old SNL skits about   Da Bears and Ditka.  Who would win if Brady was playing the entire world and he didn't have any receivers or backs?  Oh, Brady would win.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

All I know is our defense is playing solid with simple sheming.  If they spice it up a bit i think they can be even better.  

The WR's are lost, yet they are still getting seperation.  This group will become explosive in time.  Dobson, Thompkins and Edelman all got deep for catchable balls.  Thompkins made a great play which was reviewed... Dobson just missed and TB over threw Edelman.  Wither those catches are made the game is not close. 

The pats are still 2-0 in the division, and now have 10 days to get the WR's on the same page as TB.  

They should be favorites with Tampa Bay coming to town, but I understand they have a great run D. Hopefully the WR's take at least a small step forward just before Pats head out to Atlanta.  That will be a measuring stick game IMO.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Eveyone on this board knew it was going to be tough going without Gronk and witha  totally fresh corps (except a few who didn't want to admit it, and some others who were waving pom poms).

The questions were: Can the running game carry the offense? No. Will the rookies be ahead of the curve? No. Can the second year defenders make this into a defense that can win those low scoring games? So far ...a resounding yes.

The other thing baffling is how all of a sudden everyone seems to think that receiving football coaching or leadership should be like receiving life advice from Stuart Smalley. That's a story for another thread. 

To be honest, I'm just shocked that there aren't more defensive threads praising that unit. Yes, Buffalo and the Jets are probably two of the worst offenses in the NFL ... but in two weeks, without the usual high score, consistent field position, and consistent first down support from the offense that they've been accustomed too, they've allowed just 24 points on an astounding 29 drives!!

That is less than a point per drive. It's really incredible how they've hung in there. That is a result from how much Dennard, Jones, et al, have improved. 

But instead we get like five wierd threads about how a vet yelled at a rookie. lol

It is amusing seeing all the people complaining that none of our old folks home WR from last season could get any separation are now panicking after 2 weeks and want BB to bring back Jenkins or even Moss.  Hell I even saw a thread about Branch although perhaps it was in jest.  The expectations for these rookie WR were completely out of whack.  AJ Green is the only rookie WR in like the last 5 seasons to break 1000 yards and he is a freak.  The problem now is that no Gronk, Hern, Vereen or Amendola means more pressure on the rookies to produce.  I knew Amendola had injury issues and Gronk might miss a few games, but I think the loss of Hernandez in particular blindsided the team and Vereen was obviously a big loss as well.  Hopefully we get them all back when the games really matter.

P.S. I agree about the defense.  Amazing how some posters refuse to give them any credit and will come up with any excuse to dismiss ridiculous efficiency stats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Nope....

On the road against the Bills I felt was our sloppy game.

I really felt pretty good that some home cooking against an arch rival would lead us to play better.

I did not expect us to be worse..I believe in the BB mantra...you try and get better every week....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

It is amusing seeing all the people complaining that none of our old folks home WR from last season could get any separation are now panicking after 2 weeks and want BB to bring back Jenkins or even Moss.  Hell I even saw a thread about Branch although perhaps it was in jest.  The expectations for these rookie WR were completely out of whack.  AJ Green is the only rookie WR in like the last 5 seasons to break 1000 yards and he is a freak.  The problem now is that no Gronk, Hern, Vereen or Amendola means more pressure on the rookies to produce.  I knew Amendola had injury issues and Gronk might miss a few games, but I think the loss of Hernandez in particular blindsided the team and Vereen was obviously a big loss as well.  Hopefully we get them all back when the games really matter.

P.S. I agree about the defense.  Amazing how some posters refuse to give them any credit and will come up with any excuse to dismiss ridiculous efficiency stats.

Most of that is rooted in the board-consuming offense v defense (Brady v Belichik) Hatfield and McCoys thing.

No, I don't want to see Moss back. He was washed. A healthy Lloyd would help, but only because the rookies aren't ready ... Lloyd was not the future, he was barely the present. 

I just want to see the players that are prepared and good be healthy. 

And yes, the BB bashers will dismiss this defense. Well, if this were last year, or the year before, with those defenses? NE would be a stone cold 0-2 right now. 

Holding the Jets and Bills to 10 and 14 points is what GOOD defenses do. Note ... NE's past defense really struggled with those offenses. Sanchez has a career rating 7 points beneath what he posts against NE, and Fitzpatrick has thrown for almost as many yards against NE as he has against Miami and New Jersey combined.

But people are so invested in climbing down BB's throat about the defense that they are failing to see that those were huge, astounding performances. NE hasn't won a single game on the strength of defense alone since 2008. They haven't been able to hang their hat on it since 2004. They just won two big ones ... one, against NJ ... was a sight to behold as they defended the field 14 times with possibly three sustained offensive drives all game!!!!

If this were the same defense from the past four years, NE would be 0-2 right now. 

And the Brady-bashers want to dismiss the effect of playing with rookies. If even Welker were still here ... none of these conversations are happening right now, because NE would have scored more points in last night's game. 

Anyone who didn't see this coming was cheerleading and not thinking, or they were so invested in Brady hate that they wouldn't (won't) admit how talent drained the offense is right now after losing Welker to FA, Hern to psychopathy, and Amendola and Gronk to injury. Otherwise the story about how "all you need to do is give Ridley>Benny>Whoever that ball" story would just die ... because right now .... obviously .... painfully .... that is proven dead, flat wrong. 

Later on this season, when NE is still in the hunt, people will be grateful for Tom's leadership and his error free play and grateful for these great defensive performances. 

The team will get healthy, and the rookies will improve. Right now, they are winning with a QB who isn't putting the defense in a hole (as opposed to having the entire fate of the teamthrust on his shoulders), and a defense that is stopping the other team (instead of making mediocre QBs look good). That is all. And it is refreshing. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

One of the worst games I ever saw for the Patriots, but they chalked up a win at least. Gotta love the media always showing TB pissed off and barking at someone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Nope....

On the road against the Bills I felt was our sloppy game.

I really felt pretty good that some home cooking against an arch rival would lead us to play better.

I did not expect us to be worse..I believe in the BB mantra...you try and get better every week....

I might have expected more, if they had a full week to recuperate from the Buffalo game and prepare for the Jets.  The fact is, they had a very short week that gave them no opportunity to address the issues from the Buffalo game and I think that is, at least part of the reason, why we saw many of the same issues carry over to the Jets game.  Now, with 10 days to go before playing Tampa, I believe that they will have the chance to focus some needed attention on some very correctable issues with their new receivers.  I think we will see some signs of improvement when they take on the Bucs.

Sections
Shortcuts