Last year's offense vs this year's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Last year's offense vs this year's

Through seven games last year, the offense had scored 25 TDs. Through seven games this year, it has scored 22.  Take out the 7 TD performance against Buffalo and the rate of scoring is down fairly significantly this year.  We're still a top offense, but the increased number of running plays plus lower production from the TEs seems to have reduced scoring so far. 

Given that the defense is still giving up lots of big plays, you have to wonder whether Bill O'Brien's high-scoring offensive strategy that relied so heavily on the pass didn't have some advantages over the more "diverse" strategy that Josh O'Brien has been employing. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Last year's offense vs this year's

Pro~

I have the breakdown @ 22 Offensive TDs as well...  Further, the rundown (Game 1 onwards) was as follows:  3 TDs, 1 TD, 3 TDs, 7 TDs (Buff), 4 TDs, 2 TDs, and 2 TDs.  The NE D/ST's (DMC KR): Have accounted for 2 additional TDs + 1 Safety.  Now (interesting note), Of NE's Offensive TDs, 6 seperate TDs have come directly by way of NE D TO's and a couple extremely deep field stops, in which NE's O had >50 yards to get into the endzone (48 yds, 6 yds, 42 yds, 12 yds, 48 yds, and finally 14 yds).  Additionally, 4 seperate NE FGs were scored the by way of the same processes (i.e. >30 yd and under drives, based on NE D deep stops/TOs, which resulted in a FG- 1 29 yd drive=FG; 1 11 yd drive=FG; 1 30 yd drive=FG; and finally, 1 7 yd drive=FG- Not counted was any NE D deep field stop/TO which did not lead to any points, I know that in the Seattle Game, just before half there was at least 1 which resulted in 0 points...but I ain't goin' back to try to figure out if there were any others-thought that 1 of Ghost's misses were one of these, but honestly, I don't care enough to look). 

Just some added perspective...for whatever it's worth (cue babe).  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

So all three of us agree that Bill O'Brien knew what he was doing last year. Who would have thunk it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I think the OC makes little difference with BB around. If we are doing something more you can be sure BB wishes it that way. He definitely has been running some more even when its effectiveness has been marginal. But then we have ran many many more plays than any other team. We have passed more than anybody, and run as much as anybody. The hurry up has increased the play number a lot, and we have over 20% more 1st downs than the #2 team the Giants. Crazy numbers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I like what Josh / BB are doing this year, but I've felt fans on this site were unfair to O'Brien last year and most never really appreciated what he was trying to do and how successful his approach actually was.  This year the Pats are trying to be more diverse--last year they tried to design their offense to accentuate their strengths, even if it meant less diversity.  Both strategies have merit, but through the early part of the season, last year's approach was more productive than this year's. That could change, of course, and maybe the increased emphasis on running really will help later in the season, but for now the nod has to go to O'Brien's approach over McDaniel's. I'd argue the talent on offense this year (at least in the skill postitions) is better, as well, so you'd expect productivity to go up rather than down.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

This kind of comparison is difficult since you have a different schedule and different personnel here and there .

I was one of the obie critics for 2 primary  reasons ... First he disregarded  the risk in a pass-happy offense which resulted in unnecessary picks that lost games and additional hits on Brady.

second, his personality was also irritating since he saw fit to get into it with Brady after apick that was partially his fault.

when the seasons over we'll have a big enough sample to make a better results comparison , but I agree that so far mcd hasn't separated himself ... Maybe its a learning curve going on.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Come on. Like I said the last two seasons, running a few more times per game would have a negligible impact on scoring and pace et al. The difference you are noting, the slight superiority of last season's offense at scoring TDs, is a nominal variation. The offense is the same. Basically. From an output (points, yards, etc) standpoint. 

Unfortunately, like I also said, running more has done nothing to improve the defense. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to MightyCumEarly2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB did this by design. Run more, score less. He's also holding the defense back as a special surprise for late in the season.

The Patriots and BB are the best.

[/QUOTE]

Don't think they are holding back anything but they are not in panic mode like the fans...they are building on what is working and putting specal effort into what is not.

What some have noticed, there is something wrong with the offense. It is just more weapons are availible which means more variations in personel combinations so the offesne has not yet gelled to its usual tight form. The fact that it is still productive is a sign of its potential and a of TB's brilliance.

When it does come together..watch out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I think this years offense hasn't got on track yet but when it does it will be better than last years. The vast improvement in the running game alone gives it another dimension. They will be putting up a lot of points later in the year once they get it working consistently . They've put up some very good numbers while not playing their best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The problem with this offense is when the fit hits the shan it reverts back to Billy O's scheme of, "oh well lets just put everything on Brady's shoulders and hope he doesn't get killed or maimed throwing it 60 times.....like the Seattle game.(Where was Vareen again?)

Brady is having trouble playing under center. Probably because he has lived in SG for the last 5 years. We are trying to work him under center because what many of us have noticed(and DC's have noticed) is that we are a ONE DIMENSIONAL OFFENSE and it doesn't win the biggest games.

I would rather us struggle now and try to commit to being balanced, or being able to use more then 1 aspect of the O now then wait to lose another Super Bowl by throwing a 3-1 pass to run ratio and scoring another 15.5 point average.

All of this and hopefully we allow Brady to at least try and throw the ball deep a few times to Lloyd even though he and Lloyd have both SUCKED at it so far.

And yes I realize our secondary sucks bad but our front 7 might be the best in the game. As I have said before, in this offensive driven league the onus is on our offense to win games AND more importantly put teams AWAY.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

BB did this by design. Run more, score less. He's also holding the defense back as a special surprise for late in the season.

[/QUOTE]

You must be one of the people who said he was saving Chad Ocho Cinco for the playoffs too.

You don't design an offense to score.

If you could choose between an offense that scored 35 points per game with only 25 minutes of possession time or an offense that score 26 pts per game with 35 minutes of possession time, you still choose the offense that scored more points.

It's hard to score in this league, that's why you take points however you can. You don't slow everything down just to protect the defense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The problem with this offense is when the fit hits the shan it reverts back to Billy O's scheme of, "oh well lets just put everything on Brady's shoulders and hope he doesn't get killed or maimed throwing it 60 times.....like the Seattle game.(Where was Vareen again?)

Brady is having trouble playing under center. Probably because he has lived in SG for the last 5 years. We are trying to work him under center because what many of us have noticed(and DC's have noticed) is that we are a ONE DIMENSIONAL OFFENSE and it doesn't win the biggest games.

I would rather us struggle now and try to commit to being balanced, or being able to use more then 1 aspect of the O now then wait to lose another Super Bowl by throwing a 3-1 pass to run ratio and scoring another 15.5 point average.

All of this and hopefully we allow Brady to at least try and throw the ball deep a few times to Lloyd even though he and Lloyd have both SUCKED at it so far.

And yes I realize our secondary sucks bad but our front 7 might be the best in the game. As I have said before, in this offensive driven league the onus is on our offense to win games AND more importantly put teams AWAY.

[/QUOTE]

They revert to putting it on Brady when the run is ineffective.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You must be one of the people who said he was saving Chad Ocho Cinco for the playoffs too.

You don't design an offense to score.

If you could choose between an offense that scored 35 points per game with only 25 minutes of possession time or an offense that score 26 pts per game with 35 minutes of possession time, you still choose the offense that scored more points.

It's hard to score in this league, that's why you take points however you can. You don't slow everything down just to protect the defense.

Wow, I'd like to ask a coach this question. Hard for the other team to score more then 26 points with 10 less minutes to do so.

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How can you say this front 7 is best in the game.

The front 7 can stop the run. But they can't get a consistent pass rush or cover. This is a mid tier front 7.

Top front 7 is in SF. They can generate a pass rush, but maybe more importantly, their LBs can cover

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The front 7 can stop the run. But they can't get a consistent pass rush or cover. This is a mid tier front 7.

Top front 7 is in SF. They can generate a pass rush, but maybe more importantly, their LBs can cover

[/QUOTE]

I think in order to generate pressure you have to at least a few times a game send more then 3 or 4 rushers. I might be wrong, but I don't believe so.

I agree SF is the best, but this young front 7 looks like they could be right there with them sooner then later. Imo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think in order to generate pressure you have to at least a few times a game send more then 3 or 4 rushers. I might be wrong, but I don't believe so.

I agree SF is the best, but this young front 7 looks like they could be right there with them sooner then later. Imo.

[/QUOTE]

This front seven is good, but most of its strength is against the run and only one player (Jones) generates consistent pass rush. In fact, this year's team is actually averaging fewer sacks per game (2.1) than last years (2.5).  

The LBs struggle in against the pass. Spikes, in particular, is probably below average in coverage.

I love that they are second in the NFL against the run (3.3 yards per attempt), but ultimately, what good does it do to have your defensive strength versus the run when most teams throw the ball about 60% of the time? 

Let's be realistic, this front seven is good and (outside of Wilfork) young, but they still have a ways to go to be considered the top front seven in the NFL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Injuries !

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Brady had double the amount of interceptions through 3 games last year than he has this year to date.  We are the #1 team in the league in first downs and running first downs. 

Yeah and running doesn't improve the defense... unless of course we have a lead and want to run the clock out and keep our defense off the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First he disregarded  the risk in a pass-happy offense which resulted in unnecessary picks that lost games

[/QUOTE]

Oh yes Brady threw so many picks last year ... moron

[/QUOTE]

warning ... Obie lover alert!  mighty dumb...  How'd your hero do yesterday ?  Ooops, dumb call on 4th down.  can't blame Brady for that one. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry but is this year's offense still in trouble?  Or did this game make this thread obsolete?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

This game might throw off your comparison numbers.... Anyone still pining for bill "coco the monkey" O'Brien to come back to this offense?