late night in Foxboro

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

late night in Foxboro

Was in attendance last night and jotted down some notes and thoughts. have not had a chance to watch the TV replay yet, so some context please;

-the officials made this game virtually unwatchable. not sure how it looked on TV, but in person the delays and confusion were very obvious and invasive to the game itself. Goodell must take note that this could be the very one issue that could ruin this game.

-BB was very upset with the officiating from my vantage point, and was as argumentative with the officials as I have ever seen

-I thought (as I expected) that Solder bounced back with a really good game. Mankins played well. I don't think I have ever seen so many instances of an OL lining up as the TE. I also thought Cannon played well, and all the penalties called on him presumably will not be called in the regular season

-it seems apparent to me that Harmon has not seized the opportunity, and there are still open tryouts at S. Interesting to see so many CB's on the field at one time (including McCourty). interesting thought on Arrington at S. I do believe he best suits this team at that spot

-I had hoped to see Revis in action, but he wasn't even looked at. RESPECT

-I thought Finch showed very well

-Now I can stop defending Mallett, as he showed a glimpse of what we have been seeing in practice.

-Dumb penalty by Boyce, but did anyone see the potential the few times he touched the ball? there is not a WR here that is more electric with the ball in his hands. the entire stadium holds it breath waiting for him to break it. no other WR on the team has that ability

-Lafell is coming on. Nice signing by BB. He will help this team.

-It is disappointing that DJ Williams is again hurt. this was a golden opportunity for him to show he could play here, or in the NFL for another team. I stuck around after the game and there were a ton of scouts at the game. I believe one of the Jets scouts is currently living in the area. he is always here. lets face it, what the Jets need, the Pats have. OL, WR, CB. Trade Tyms for Sudfeld? (its a joke. I understand Sudfeld is actually playing very well and could end up getting a lot of snaps)

-Eagles really exposed the Pats inability to cover the TE. Obviously will change with Mayo in the line up allowing Collins to do more, but wow.     

-Pats do have quite a bit to brush up on. First thing is ST. I expect some roster reductions starting with ST shortly

-Speaking of Tyms, I think at the end of the day, he has not been on the field with Brady. Kind of sums up his chances

-I have not been a big supporter of Chung, even his first go around here. But if this team does go with an all CB def backfield, I kind of like Chung coming in as a physical S. He can tackle well. always the big question with Chung however, can he play physical and stay healthy?

-Manieri I thought blocked better than any of the other OL that lined up at TE. but Manieri simply cannot play TE. I actually felt bad for him on the int

-have to throw a bone to Doug Irving. Sanchise actually looked good out there

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: late night in Foxboro

In no particular order:

For me the game was umwatchable at times with the laundry all over the field. 

Jimmy G appears (I know, 2 preseason games) to be really good and with a lot of room to grow.  The deep out to LaFell was a thing of beauty IMO.

Covering TE is a weakness on this D an needs to be fixed.

Butler looked good again IMO.

Nink did his thing - I like the guy where he is.

White - had a chance to break out and didn't do as much as I would have liked to see.

Ridley - frustrating - started a thread on him.

Bolden looked pretty good to me.

Chung is most decidedly Chung.

There's more but that's enough for now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Karp was there also and I am flagged out.

All good observations…. I thought Revis did get one look and it led to Ninks sack. From my vantage point Foles rolled/stepped slightly to his right looking to go deep to the receiver on that side and Revis was locked down on  who ever that receiver was. As you noted Solder and Mallett were much better last night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Didn't get to watch the game as carefully as I would have liked last night, but a few things stood out to me:

• Solder's run blocking is excellent.  I've been disappointed in his pass blocking before, but his run blocking really is superb and I though his pass blocking was good last night too. Over all the O line played pretty well I thought.  Nice to see them get lots of practice run blocking.  

• Mallet did play pretty well last night, but I have to say I think Garopollo has moved ahead of him on the depth chart.  Garopollo seems to have better presence, control, and consistency.  There was a point in the game where I felt Garopollo's concentration may have waned a bit, but for his first few series he looked very good.  That said, Mallet's play was good enough to make me think we will keep three QBs.  I always thought that was most likely, but after last week I was starting to wonder. 

• Deciding who to keep in the offensive skill positions is going to be tough.  At WR, Amendola, Edelman, and LaFell all seem like locks.  Dobson will, I'm sure, make it as well. I think both Thompkins and Boyce will also make it.  Thompkins is helped by his production and the fact that Dobson is hurt.  Boyce has some potential, but he's far too inconsistent and mistake-prone at this point to be someone you want to rely on if Dobson is out and someone else gets hurt. Tyms is making a case, but I'm not sure he's going to be able to displace Boyce or Thompkins and we just don't have room for seven receivers plus Slater. If we keep six receivers (plus Slater) and three QBs, we probably have just six slots left for RBs, FBs, and TEs.  I think Develin, Gronk, and Hoomawanui are locks.  I have a feeling we are keeping just two TEs, with Develin playing TE in a pinch if need be.  That would leave just three more RB slots, which I'd say would go to Ridley, Vereen, and White.  But Finch looks like he's making a case for himself too, and with Ridley's fumble, you have to think about Bolden and even Gray. Maybe we keep three QBs, four RBs, one FB, two TEs, and six WRs (plus a seventh in Slater).  BB rarely keeps more than 16 offensive skills players (and 15 is more his normal amount), so this is stretching things, but it may be what we go with this year. 

• The starting D looks very good (and we really haven't seen it all together on the field yet).  The secondary is very deep (and Butler has, I think, earned a spot). The second safety remains a question mark, but I think the depth and quality at corner makes up for that.  We're going to be playing a lot of 5 DBs and I think we've got a number of "tweener" corner/safety types who can be the fourth and fifth DBs around two true corners and McCourty.  I think the starting front seven looks good, but a lot of the back ups are just camp bodies.  I don't see too many who are going to be more than okay back-ups.  The question is whether we can have a good rotation or whether the starters in the front seven are going to have to play most of the snaps. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Some good observations, I missed most of the game, but I listened to it on the radio...it sounded like White did basically nothing running the ball. That to me is a disappointment, because I don't trust Ridley running the ball, he is going to fumble and when he does we will see him on the bench. Then we will have to go through the whole...how long will he be benched for? You just can't fumble...I wonder if he just lost his starting job? Yeah he's not getting off the bench...Bill isn't even looking at him.  I'm tired of that crap, I've been listening to it for two years now.

The flags were a problem for sure - there was no flow to the game - every play was met with the thought that a flag was going to be thrown. If this continues into the regular season it will be a big problem...the little I saw of the game it was terrible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

Observations from my couch.

I think the #1 offense showed purpose and determination.  They ran well with good running lanes and the passing was clean and efficient.  If I had one wish, I'd like to see more throws down the field.  Perhaps that will happen with Gronk.  BTW, I think Tyms has just surpassed Dobson and moved to the #1 outside receiver.  Lafell looked good too.

The #1 defense with also outstanding in the 1st quarter.  After that, perhaps with substitutions, they failed to pressure the QB and there were openings for completed passes.  Their TEs killed us.

Mallet showed better.  Good decisions and crisp passing all night. Jimmy G continues to impress.

Ridley has gotten stronger without sacrificing speed.  That fumble, though, smh.  Vereen is fast and decisive.  I have not been that impressed with White.  He runs into people, not around 'em. He'll never be as natural as Vereen in the passing game.  Bolden looked good.  Gray looked a little Blount-esque out there but he was against the second unit.  Finch had flashes too.  Bottom line is that I think there is big decisions ahead regarding the RBs.  Forget a Mallet trade, I think they could trade Ridley for a TE now and go with Bolden, Vereen, White/Gray, Finch.  White, Gray or Finch to the PS.

It was a treat to hear Fauria because he'd forget himself and talk in football jargon.  One play, he exclaimed they're going deuces.  Apparently that meant 2 TEs, one on each side.  Sure enough, it was a power run to the left with the TE (Solder?) making a huge wham block for about 15 yds.  He also caught the nuances of the TE game.  He noticed that Solder was at TE a lot and commented that Maneri didn't know the play on the INT.

Have to be concerned about the kicking game.  A muffed LS, a block, and Ghost skinned the goalpost on a PAT.

Never seen BB to upset at officiating and it's preseason to boot.  BTW, he reached for the red flag in his sock and it wasn't there!  He forgot it, maybe?  That is one of his dumbest idiosyncracies.  He didn't look to bad on the tablet, though.  I think Fauria said Look at Bill checkin Facebook and laughed.

Good PS game 2.  I have minor concerns about lack of QB pressure by 2nd stringers and the ease of completions downfield on some DBs.  Butler is a playmaker, plain and simple. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Observations from my couch.

I think the #1 offense showed purpose and determination.  They ran well with good running lanes and the passing was clean and efficient.  If I had one wish, I'd like to see more throws down the field.  Perhaps that will happen with Gronk.  BTW, I think Tyms has just surpassed Dobson and moved to the #1 outside receiver.  Lafell looked good too.

The #1 defense with also outstanding in the 1st quarter.  After that, perhaps with substitutions, they failed to pressure the QB and there were openings for completed passes.  Their TEs killed us.

Mallet showed better.  Good decisions and crisp passing all night. Jimmy G continues to impress.

Ridley has gotten stronger without sacrificing speed.  That fumble, though, smh.  Vereen is fast and decisive.  I have not been that impressed with White.  He runs into people, not around 'em. He'll never be as natural as Vereen in the passing game.  Bolden looked good.  Gray looked a little Blount-esque out there but he was against the second unit.  Finch had flashes too.  Bottom line is that I think there is big decisions ahead regarding the RBs.  Forget a Mallet trade, I think they could trade Ridley for a TE now and go with Bolden, Vereen, White/Gray, Finch.  White, Gray or Finch to the PS.

It was a treat to hear Fauria because he'd forget himself and talk in football jargon.  One play, he exclaimed they're going deuces.  Apparently that meant 2 TEs, one on each side.  Sure enough, it was a power run to the left with the TE (Solder?) making a huge wham block for about 15 yds.  He also caught the nuances of the TE game.  He noticed that Solder was at TE a lot and commented that Maneri didn't know the play on the INT.

Have to be concerned about the kicking game.  A muffed LS, a block, and Ghost skinned the goalpost on a PAT.

Never seen BB to upset at officiating and it's preseason to boot.  BTW, he reached for the red flag in his sock and it wasn't there!  He forgot it, maybe?  That is one of his dumbest idiosyncracies.  He didn't look to bad on the tablet, though.  I think Fauria said Look at Bill checkin Facebook and laughed.

Good PS game 2.  I have minor concerns about lack of QB pressure by 2nd stringers and the ease of completions downfield on some DBs.  Butler is a playmaker, plain and simple. 

[/QUOTE]

I see only 3 legit possibilities to trade Ridley for a te.

Indy for coby fleener. Tampa for tim wright. Tennessee for Taylor Thompson (who has shown really well for them in the preseason). I still say why not give keller a shot. But they obviously would've signed him now if they felt like there was any chance he could help

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Mallet is best suited to play against 3's and 4's.

Butler is for real and better make this team.

Tyms in my opinion is much better then Boyce

White looked bad last night averaging about 1 yard per carry (without looking at the numbers)

jimmy G looked like the real deal, small hands and all :), last nightl

The defensive backups stink!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Was in attendance last night and jotted down some notes and thoughts. have not had a chance to watch the TV replay yet, so some context please;

-the officials made this game virtually unwatchable. not sure how it looked on TV, but in person the delays and confusion were very obvious and invasive to the game itself. Goodell must take note that this could be the very one issue that could ruin this game.

-BB was very upset with the officiating from my vantage point, and was as argumentative with the officials as I have ever seen

-I thought (as I expected) that Solder bounced back with a really good game. Mankins played well. I don't think I have ever seen so many instances of an OL lining up as the TE. I also thought Cannon played well, and all the penalties called on him presumably will not be called in the regular season

-it seems apparent to me that Harmon has not seized the opportunity, and there are still open tryouts at S. Interesting to see so many CB's on the field at one time (including McCourty). interesting thought on Arrington at S. I do believe he best suits this team at that spot

-I had hoped to see Revis in action, but he wasn't even looked at. RESPECT

-I thought Finch showed very well

-Now I can stop defending Mallett, as he showed a glimpse of what we have been seeing in practice.

-Dumb penalty by Boyce, but did anyone see the potential the few times he touched the ball? there is not a WR here that is more electric with the ball in his hands. the entire stadium holds it breath waiting for him to break it. no other WR on the team has that ability

-Lafell is coming on. Nice signing by BB. He will help this team.

-It is disappointing that DJ Williams is again hurt. this was a golden opportunity for him to show he could play here, or in the NFL for another team. I stuck around after the game and there were a ton of scouts at the game. I believe one of the Jets scouts is currently living in the area. he is always here. lets face it, what the Jets need, the Pats have. OL, WR, CB. Trade Tyms for Sudfeld? (its a joke. I understand Sudfeld is actually playing very well and could end up getting a lot of snaps)

-Eagles really exposed the Pats inability to cover the TE. Obviously will change with Mayo in the line up allowing Collins to do more, but wow.     

-Pats do have quite a bit to brush up on. First thing is ST. I expect some roster reductions starting with ST shortly

-Speaking of Tyms, I think at the end of the day, he has not been on the field with Brady. Kind of sums up his chances

-I have not been a big supporter of Chung, even his first go around here. But if this team does go with an all CB def backfield, I kind of like Chung coming in as a physical S. He can tackle well. always the big question with Chung however, can he play physical and stay healthy?

-Manieri I thought blocked better than any of the other OL that lined up at TE. but Manieri simply cannot play TE. I actually felt bad for him on the int

-have to throw a bone to Doug Irving. Sanchise actually looked good out there

[/QUOTE]

Back at the stadium and surprising news. Seems not 1 injury reported by the Pats. Great news to hear on a quiet day

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

good analysis by all in this thread. Thanks to each of you for posting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Tiny Tyms is on the roster.  31 teams in the NFL have a 53 man cutdown around September 1, but Bill Belichick's cutdown limit is about 57, and Tyms is just one of those freebies.  Brandon Browner doesn't count either.  The others will have to sneak through on the PUP list, or they go on IR for the year and only one of them magically pops off of the IR list in December with BB's Get Out of Jail Free card.  Then there's the annual semi-retired veteran who comes back in November when BB calls him up at home.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Something I noticed in the 4th quarter and a large reason Jonas Gray looked so good was the play of Cave at center and Halapio at left guard, they were blowing people off the ball.

Kline was also very mobile in the run game and Steve Maneri say what you want about running the wrong route but he was great run blocking and got downfield pretty good for a big man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

At one point in the 3rd, the announcers remarked that the coaches wanted excess thrown flags during that game.  Don't think they were being ironic, but that had to have been a record for flags thrown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Some things I saw:

- Thompkins had a good game, he's weak blocking wise but if he can give you 4-8 recs a game like he did last night then he deserves a spot on the team. Like to see a bit more separation though to garner a starters spot. To me next week is going to be big with him. He has a repeat performance and he gets a spot, if he is inconsistent and has a weak game then week 4 he has to show, but got to give Triple credi, Thompkins looked pretty good

- Butler is on the team. He had 2 really good games in a row and looks like he could outplay Arrington. If we have the cap space come week 5 it might come down to him, Arrington, or one of the Ss

- Fleming had another decent game but didn't really stand out. No backup LB did though but Fleming might be ahead of the curve

- Boyce flashed his potential and it's starter quality but then also dropped a make able catch. Had a couple good blocks and a couple not so good one. Overall a bit of an up and down night but if it clicks he could be as dangerous as Branch was. That's a fair if though so question away

- Finch showed his potential and why even after last game I said I think he could make the team as a KR. The kid has explosive written all over him. What I didn't expect was to see his vision coming out of the backfield. The kid has great vision and a very quick burst. He can shift gears very quickly and seems to have decent hands. I think the announcers had it right, he has the upside of Washington or Woodhead. If he can repeat next week they will make a spot for him. Though he has to learn where to look for a blitz and how to chip block but that will come.

- Delvin has made me feel better about the TE situation, even after seeing the flops last night including a LB >.< but Delvin has nice hands out of the backfield. I'd like to see him inline block to see if he can handle it but if he can give 3-6 recs a game if Gronk goes down I'd be happy. That's all I ask for and that might be enough to keep the D honest. Lets se what he does next game to build off a great game.

- Garp has shown more in 2 games than Mallett in 4 preseasons. I don't know what he will become but he just looks so comfortable and at ease in the pocket and in game. It looks like he's been playing for 4 seasons. The best part is he has good awareness in the pocket, keeps his eyes down field, and keeps the play going looking for a pass not a run. He also showed nice touch and good football smarts. The only complaint was on the LaFell pass. Yes it was a TD but in that tight of coverage that might not be a ball for him to throw. It's hard to see what other options he had. Even BB was asking what he saw and it was a bit of a risk but talk about accuracy.

- Mallett had a great game but was overshadowed by Garp. The TD run was nice but also shows his issue. If he feels pressure his first instinct is to tuck and run with it. He doesn't seem to extend plays the way Garp showed last night and when panicked a couple times his head was on a swivel instead of keeping his eyes down field.

- Starting OL looks good and nasty. They opened up holes and protected Brady. Was it just me though or did they use 7 OL with 2 playing the role of TE's? Interesting concept for sure, 7 300+ men on the line. Wonder if that's there plan moving forward if Gronk goes down. If so they might carry 10 OL this year. 

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some things I saw:

- Thompkins had a good game, he's weak blocking wise but if he can give you 4-8 recs a game like he did last night then he deserves a spot on the team. Like to see a bit more separation though to garner a starters spot. To me next week is going to be big with him. He has a repeat performance and he gets a spot, if he is inconsistent and has a weak game then week 4 he has to show, but got to give Triple credi, Thompkins looked pretty good

- Butler is on the team. He had 2 really good games in a row and looks like he could outplay Arrington. If we have the cap space come week 5 it might come down to him, Arrington, or one of the Ss

- Fleming had another decent game but didn't really stand out. No backup LB did though but Fleming might be ahead of the curve

- Boyce flashed his potential and it's starter quality but then also dropped a make able catch. Had a couple good blocks and a couple not so good one. Overall a bit of an up and down night but if it clicks he could be as dangerous as Branch was. That's a fair if though so question away

- Finch showed his potential and why even after last game I said I think he could make the team as a KR. The kid has explosive written all over him. What I didn't expect was to see his vision coming out of the backfield. The kid has great vision and a very quick burst. He can shift gears very quickly and seems to have decent hands. I think the announcers had it right, he has the upside of Washington or Woodhead. If he can repeat next week they will make a spot for him. Though he has to learn where to look for a blitz and how to chip block but that will come.

- Delvin has made me feel better about the TE situation, even after seeing the flops last night including a LB >.< but Delvin has nice hands out of the backfield. I'd like to see him inline block to see if he can handle it but if he can give 3-6 recs a game if Gronk goes down I'd be happy. That's all I ask for and that might be enough to keep the D honest. Lets se what he does next game to build off a great game.

- Garp has shown more in 2 games than Mallett in 4 preseasons. I don't know what he will become but he just looks so comfortable and at ease in the pocket and in game. It looks like he's been playing for 4 seasons. The best part is he has good awareness in the pocket, keeps his eyes down field, and keeps the play going looking for a pass not a run. He also showed nice touch and good football smarts. The only complaint was on the LaFell pass. Yes it was a TD but in that tight of coverage that might not be a ball for him to throw. It's hard to see what other options he had. Even BB was asking what he saw and it was a bit of a risk but talk about accuracy.

- Mallett had a great game but was overshadowed by Garp. The TD run was nice but also shows his issue. If he feels pressure his first instinct is to tuck and run with it. He doesn't seem to extend plays the way Garp showed last night and when panicked a couple times his head was on a swivel instead of keeping his eyes down field.

- Starting OL looks good and nasty. They opened up holes and protected Brady. Was it just me though or did they use 7 OL with 2 playing the role of TE's? Interesting concept for sure, 7 300+ men on the line. Wonder if that's there plan moving forward if Gronk goes down. If so they might carry 10 OL this year. 

[/QUOTE]

They have often used six OLs, but I'd be surprised to see seven as a regular thing except maybe in short yardage.  Assuming the two extra OLs can't run routes and catch passes, you're giving up 40% of your eligible weapons. Playing seven of them, though, is a great way to get lots of looks at lots of guys competing for spots!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some things I saw:

[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too on the JG touchdown pass...Belichick looked like he was saying...ok, but you can't throw that in a real game, ok?

Overall I thought Jimmy played pretty damn great...light years ahead of what you'd expect. Even on that touchdown, at least he showed enough zip to fire that thing into a tight spot when the guy wasn't open. If he had a Chad Pennington arm, that would of been a pick. Jimmy is smart and he's got an Nfl arm...he also looks like he has that little something extra...the instincts/anticipation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Something I noticed in the 4th quarter and a large reason Jonas Gray looked so good was the play of Cave at center and Halapio at left guard, they were blowing people off the ball.

Kline was also very mobile in the run game and Steve Maneri say what you want about running the wrong route but he was great run blocking and got downfield pretty good for a big man.

[/QUOTE]

+1

Not as crazy about Boyce as some here...the guy is in trouble and may NOT make the roster.

Sections
Shortcuts