Latest issue of PFW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Latest issue of PFW

Did you guys catch the commentary by Eric Scalavino in the latest issue of PFW about Favre and Vick? All I can say is....LOVE IT!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Re: Latest issue of PFW

Why don't you.....POST IT!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Re: Latest issue of PFW:
    Why don't you.....POST IT!!!
    Posted by joe81b

Okay Joe, here you go....

By Erik Scalavino

Eighteen months in prison?

Please.

If I had my druthers, Michael Vick would've gotten a much tougher sentence for his unspeakable role in his dogfighting enterprise.

I'd have thrust him into one of his own rings, with nothing more than his considerable athletic ability to defend himself against one of those poor animals he helped breed to be a savage beast. And I'd have bet the farm on Fido.

Brett Favre?

Oh, I have alternative plans for him as well.

I'd strap him into the Space Shuttle on a solo mission. Give him a one-way ticket to ... I don't know ... anywhere but this galaxy. I'd set the controls to auto pilot and launch the damn thing, so that, for once in his pampered, prima donna life, Favre would, quite literally, be the center of his own universe. Forever.

Full disclosure - I'm a lifelong supporter (always morally, sometimes financially) of animal welfare groups. I also have an inveterate repulsion for transparent phonies who double as pretentious narcissists.

So, yeah ... I'm not too happy about Vick and Favre playing NFL football again.

I cling strongly to my beliefs, yes. However, I like to think I am justified in doing so because I'm equally open-minded. I arrive at my firmly held opinions after thoughtful, careful consideration of every point of view. 

In Vick's case, I've heard them all.

"He served his time."

"He has a right to earn a living."

"America is all about second chances!"

I agree, on all counts.

Vick served the sentence handed to him, fair and square. OK, fine. He accepted the helping hand offered by a very good man, former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy. Since the suicide of one of his own sons in 2005, Dungy seems an even more devout person, eager to be a father figure to someone like Vick. I applaud Dungy's involvement.

He's doing and saying the right things right now, Vick is. Problem is, I just don't believe him. I don't believe prison scared him straight. I watched his introductory press conference with the Philadelphia Eagles. I wasn't buying what Vick was selling. He just didn't seem genuine to me. And I don't think I'm alone in that assessment.

Regardless, Vick has every right to earn a living now that he's out of prison. My argument is that he has no right to do so in the National Football League.

Think of it this way. Let's say Vick did every despicable thing he did with and to those dogs, only he was employed at the time as a computer programmer for Microsoft. Bill Gates would not be obligated to rehire him now. Vick could try to apply at Apple, but would Steve Jobs want him? Maybe, but he'd probably tell him to go find work somewhere else. My guess is Vick would wind up with some small-time tech firm, making a fraction of what he once did.

The same rules should apply here, in my view. If Vick wants a job in football, fine, but why does it have to be in the NFL? There's always Canada, or the fledgling United Football League, set to kick off this fall. Or better yet, go work as an equipment manager for some hole-in-the-wall high school or college program. Why should he be entitled to a second chance in the filthy-rich world of the NFL? You and I would not be treated so lavishly by our employers if we'd done what Vick did, I assure you.

When you fall from grace as far as Vick did, you should work your way back by starting at the bottom. I was extremely disappointed that Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie - in my book, one of the top five owners in the league, mind you - was complicit in bringing Vick back, offering the quarterback conditional millions of dollars over the next two years. Vick should be living and working in obscurity somewhere, making next to nothing, not being showered with so lucrative a contract as Lurie gave him.

I give Vick the slightest bit of credit in one respect. He did horrible, criminal things, but is, at least, making the effort (however minimal) to appear contrite. Fickle old Favre, on the other hand, has committed no legal offense, but he insists on doing and saying all the wrong things. All the time. And that is painfully annoying.  

Worse, he actually thinks we:

a) Give a rat's backside about his on-going melodrama for vengeance against his perceived offender, Packers GM Ted Thompson, and
    b) Believe the folderol he's been feeding us the past few years.

"I'm retiring as a Packer. My life in football is over. Boo hoo. Woe is me."

"Oh, wait, no it's not. I'm a Jet. All the way! Oops, I wasn't that good in New York, so I'm retiring again."

"Kidding! I'm back. Well, maybe ... no, no, I'm done."

"Oh, what the heck, maybe one more year. Or two. With the Vikings. Take that, Ted!"

"On second thought, my arm's too sore. Wait, I'll have surgery. No, that didn't work. Yes, it did!"

"Oh, y'all want me to go to training camp? Sorry, arm's not feeling so good anymore."

"What's that? Camp's over?! Hey, arm feels great!"

ENOUGH!!!! ENOUGH ALREADY, BRETT!!! JUST ... GO ... AWAY!!!!

But no, Brad "Major Dad" Childress insists on loading up his Viking ship and embarking on some quixotic quest with this querulous QB.

Meanwhile, the media is Favre's all-too-willing accomplice. Vapid TV newsrooms are committing vital resources like their networks' helicopters to capture footage of Favre landing at the airport, motorcading to meet Childress, walking up the steps of his new facility.

He's not a head of state, or a pope, or anyone close to being worthy of such obsessive coverage. He's a has-been, undisciplined gunslinger who has been atrocious when his teams needed him most in these latter years of his overstayed-welcome of a career. 

He can't win big games. In fact, he's the reason the Packers lost so many of them this decade. He imploded on the Jets last season as the playoffs approached. They didn't get in because of him.

And this is the guy Minnesota hails as its savior.

Shame. Shame on the Eagles and Vikings for forcing us to endure these people any longer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

With apologies, but Erik Scalavino sounds like an idiot.

His analogy as to why the NFL shouldn't employ Vick is flawed for the simple fact that an NFL team did hire him. They didn't have to. Vick didn't have a right to a job in the NFL. The Eagles just signed him because he had value to them. And a lot of teams are wondering now why they didn't. 

And, if Erik used a proper analogy, he wouldn't use a mid-level programmer as an comparative. He would use a guy with skills at or near the top of his profession. Now, look at people who commit crimes but have the ability to engineer a missile so that it takes out a bowl of cereal in a house 2000 miles away or a market analyst who can pinpoint downturns to the millisecond. I can guarantee you that these guys, unless they commit a crime that is specifically against their profession, are going to have a place to work and will be paid huge bucks for it. It shouldn't surprise anyone that companies and even the government might even try to cover up some crimes in order to protect the individual. A great historical example is Frank Abagnale who forged millions in checks back in the 60s. He did his time and guess what - he was hired by our government (the FBI in fact) to help with fraud investigations. 

And the Favre drama is certainly overdone, but it is more a media issue than Favre. The simple fact for him is the same as Vick - he has skills that the Vikings feel can help them. Sure, not many liked the coverage and the wishy-washiness of Favre, but enough did that all sports media outlets felt the need to broadcast every breath and they would not have felt this if the ratings didn't match. So, blame the guy next to you who couldn't get enough of it or yourself if you could but didn't stop watching anyway. Oh, and Favre was injured during the last 5 games of the season. He didn't "implode". 

Now, I am not a Favre or Vick apologist, but I hate it when guys use bad arguments, comparatives or misrepresent facts to "prove" their point and that is what this guy did.

And, lest I forget, isn't this guy adding to the Favre drama by continuing to write about it. Even if his point is against it, it still keeps it in the media as a reminder. If he actually did feel this way, then he is better off ignoring than writing an article and making a living off of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Latest issue of PFW : P.S. Joe, here's my answer to your bent over sl*tty female stripper avatar, albeit unsolicited:
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

Hilarious!  Horrific, but hilarious.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I really can't see what all the fuss is over Favre.  If anything ticks me off it's that the media is covering it so much.  If the guy wants to play, and there is a team that wants him, who cares.  Is there some unwritten rule that when someone says they will retire it has to be final?  Favre wants to play and the Vikings are willing to play him.  I don't care if that makes sense, if Favre is still good enough, or if another QB would be a better option.  I don't care if this is the first or the tenth time he has changed his mind.  I do care that I have to hear about it in the media every day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Didn't Green Bay offer him something like 20 million to stay retired a few years ago.  The whole situation is just crazy to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Didn't Green Bay offer him something like 20 million to stay retired a few years ago.  The whole situation is just crazy to me.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

There was a rumor of something like that.  He would do some marketing and such.  I don't know how true it was.  If it were me, I'd have jumped at the deal.  Favre, however, still wants to play.  That's fine with me.  I think he made a mistake tarnishing his legacy with GB, but that's just me.  It'll add some entertainment value to the GB-Vikings games, that's for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Hey is that a sock in your BVD's or are you....you know the restSurprised

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

In Response to Re: Latest issue of PFW : P.S. Joe, here's my answer to your bent over sl*tty female stripper avatar, albeit unsolicited:
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

Actually that's my girlfriend looking for her granny panties

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Shoot, they took my picture away! WTH?? Not fair! lol

Sections
Shortcuts