LAURENCE MARONEY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: LAURENCE MARONEY

i don't understand why everyone doggs maroney, has he lived up to his potential... no, does he make the most out of the yards available... most of the time, besides a few key play fumbles he is a good back.  With another year of experience and the motivation of a contract year he could step up.  he is not adrian peterson or chris johnson... stop thinking he ever will be.  he is a solid back and that is it. he has a 3.9 YPA average which isn't terrible. and he averages 7.1 yards per catch.  when asked to get the one yard first down he lowers his shoulder and gets it.  I have a feeling that he will improve. The reason he played so well his rookie season was because of corey dillion and heath evans.  We need a Full back.  He is still a solid back and i have a feeling he will be with this team even after this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

RB is the weak spot on the team so far.  BB has to challenge each of his tailbacks, get in each player's face and ask him "Do you know how to pony?" (starting with Phoney Maroney).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

You'd think that, after having 4 years of evidence to look over, we know what LM was by now?

He's been nothing but a tease. And a good one at that, if he's still able to spark optimism after failing to lock up the feature back spot with little or no competition despite getting picked in the 1st round of the 2006 draft.

The reality is that the team needs to restore balance and stop using the shotgun as their base offense. This can only be achieved if either Fred Taylor or Sammy Morris can remain healthy and productive in 2010.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I've always suspected that, in the world of sports, drunk trades happen. One GM has had a few too many to drink and drunk dials another GM and says something like "How about Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano and Boof Bosner for A.J. Pierzynski?"

This sort of thing must happen, right? How else would you explain the Giants handing Barry Zito 127 million?

I would say there is no chance of Maroney rushing for 1300 yards. But I watched Eli Manning win a Superbowl. So I guess anything is possible.

My question is this: How many beers would Belichick have to consume before franchising Laurence Maroney?  My guess is around 47. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

we know what maroney is by now. he will be the same this year as he's been in the past. start off slow, get trashed in the media for dancing instead of hitting the holes, he'll have a few decent games, then either get hurt or start fumbling and lose the confidence of the coaching staff. then his contract will be up and he will be gone. the end.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

In Response to Re: LAURENCE MARONEY:
    I always wished they would use LM like the 49's did with Roger Craig, pass to set-up the run. In essence a long hand-off, get him into the open field where he can use his speed and power. Someimes you have to change your tatics, to get the best out of a player.
    Posted by bobbysu

yea but see pur offense runs to set up the pass... if we did it the other way around we would be the scoring machine we were in 07

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Maroney is fantastic if you can get him in open space.  It's only when he's trying to find a hole and dancing while deciding that problems occur.  I never understood why they didn't get him more involved in the short passing game, he's got decent hands and once you get him past the line of scrimmage good things happen. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Decent hands?  Maroney doesn't have decent anything.  If he were so great at catching short passes we would have tried it already.  You don't think BB and Tom Brady didn't think of that?

Get him as far away from Gillette as we can ... hopefully onto the Jets or Dolphins. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

The hope of a viable running attack rests on the hope that either Morris or Taylor can stay healty throughout the course of this season.

4 years is all I need to know that Maroney is a bust.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to LAURENCE MARONEY:MAroney stinks
    ok this is what will happen this season, LM will be fighting for an extension and i expect LM to rush for 1300+ yards, then we will franchise tag him while draftin Mark inrgam next year, people may be skepticle, but LM is the type of player that will fight for money or a playoff run, usually he takes plays off, and ifhe does this year expect him to be cut or traded for a 5ht round pick by week 6
    Posted by TateGroup

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

The only  good thing about Maroney is his dancing, he should be on Dancing With The Stars, but with his luck he'll probably fumble his partner on their first spin.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

In Response to LAURENCE MARONEY:
    ok this is what will happen this season, LM will be fighting for an extension and i expect LM to rush for 1300+ yards, then we will franchise tag him while draftin Mark inrgam next year, people may be skepticle, but LM is the type of player that will fight for money or a playoff run, usually he takes plays off, and ifhe does this year expect him to be cut or traded for a 5ht round pick by week 6
    Posted by TateGroup

He's a BUMMMMMMMM

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Maroney runs too high and so he gets injured again and again.   After he's playing injured, he protects the injury and dances instead of hitting the hole like Sammy Morris or Fred Taylor.  Problem is, eventually the injuries are permanent. 

Playing running back is a tough business, and I don't think Maroney is going to ever sign that big second paycheck. 

I worry that Sammy (33) and Fred (34) are too old to last forever, Kevin Faulk (33) isn't an every-down back in the first place, and that BB simply won't have a running back by November.  I don't criticize BB much around here, I usually trust his judgement and he did fill all sorts of holes with an outstanding draft strategy, but RB is a hole that didn't get filled yet. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

I was hoping that the Pats would draft  RB in the draft so we could finally say goodbye to this dancing bust! Now I have to look forward to another year of two injury prone, glass Joe RB's in Morris and Taylor and the Dancing Queen that is Lawrence Baloney Maroney. I guess we are running the Shotgun Offense again. Its okay, its not like the Pats ever won a Superbowl or two with a balanced offense. Go '10 Pats

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

I was hoping that the Pats would draft  RB in the draft so we could finally say goodbye to this dancing bust! Now I have to look forward to another year of two injury prone, glass Joe RB's in Morris and Taylor and the Dancing Queen that is Lawrence Baloney Maroney. I guess we are running the Shotgun Offense again. Its okay, its not like the Pats ever won a Superbowl or two with a balanced offense. Go '10 Pats
    Posted by Rodimus77

why do u think BB drafted 2 TEs? shotgun offense were Brady will throw to whoever is open

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

It's gonna be more of the same fellas.  There are 5 capable backs with complementary skills.  Taylor, Maroney, Morris, Faulk and BGE are all gonna get carries and BB is gonna ride the hot hand primarily among Taylor and Maroney until either one fumbles or gets hurt.  In the case of all 5 RBs, I think it will take all of them to get about 1,600-1,700 rushing yards.  I'd bet that if Taylor doesn't get hurt he'll lead the team in carries, followed by Maroney, Morris, Faulk, and BGE.  Faulk will be his usual spectacular self on 3rd down, but I think Maroney showed flashes or being a productive receiving threat.  Not sure he's picks up the blitz like Faulk, who pound for pound is one of the toughest guys on the roster. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

well we will draft a RB 1st round, and pretty high, we are gunna take Mark Ingram, hopfully BB knows u cant trade down a top 2 pick and still expect someone to be there, every in the 1-10 are idiots and would take Ryan Leaf #1 overall if they could

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

One-If-By-Sea: Depends on what you want bye "Not that bad" - I was happy with LM last year - he seemed to be hitting the hole well and not dancing around as much. But he started fumbling...From my non-expert view, it seems that the first thing an RB NEEDS to do is to protect the ball. If not, the dancing is a moot point..

thoughts?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsoxfan74. Show patsoxfan74's posts

James Stewart!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

In Response to Re: LAURENCE MARONEY : Maroney has troubles. He talks to the press all the time for a reason. BB sat down with him one-on-one every week for a reason. I am not trying to deny any of his warts. Remember Faulk in his first few years? Faulk fumbled repeatedly - now he never fumbles. YES Maroney needs to protect the ball, but is Minnesota going to cut Adrian Peterson? In 2009, AD had 7 fumbles, LM had 4 fumbles. Do you think the Minnesota Vikings' fans are calling for AD's replacement? Nope. Nope. Nope. How may fumbles does LM have over his career? 5 fumbles lost in 5 years. Is 1 fumble per year in the NFL unacceptable? Fans are already talking about Mark Ingram. Before the draft I posted that RB and WR were not high on the Pats list of needs, but everyone was shocked when we did not draft a RB. Fans love the skill position. I love Super Bowl victories. Fix the problem at center with Koppen, and Maroney will improve tremendously. Bottom line - is Maroney a 1st round pick? Maybe not. Is he a third or fourth round pick? Nope - he is not that bad - fix the OL.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

good post. the pats oline is built for pass protection. maroney is a good back, he gets too much flack from the fans. i hope he has a good year. everybody complaining about his fumble problem should look up his stats and check out his total career fumbles. lets all hope he puts it all together this year and has a solid year for the pats.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Dont expect B.B. to ever draft a RB in the 1st round again.  We won are 1st and 2nd Superbowls with Antoine Smith as the back ,and Corey Dillon  was the back in 04, So after drafting Maroney and him not sniffing the 1,000 yard mark after 4 years....You can bet that told B.B. something.....I will stick to getting my almost over the hill baks for cheap, who know how to win and are hungry....Thanks Maroney...now we will never have a young dynamic back in N.E. ...
    Posted by patsfan76

Yeah, why can't we be more like those teams that have dynamic backs like St. Louis and Tennessee...  Oh well, I guess we'll just have to settle for Super Bowls.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

look to see Marshall dog it this year.. look to see LM do great... and when they do you can expect a big fat "i told ya so"
    Posted by TateGroup

I agree. Guaranteed, Marshall starts dogging it as soon as his first check clears the bank. Too much temptation in NYC for a punk like him; he'll ne doing the pacman circuit of 3AM strip clubs carrying a gun and $80 grand cash in his packet, for sure. Odds are /> 50/50 that he's in jail by the end of the season. 

Likewise maroney will finally get head out of his hindquarters in this his contract year. But, please, pats hierarchy, don't fall for it. He'll be a bum again as soon as he gets another long term contract. 

Sections
Shortcuts