Law Firm made LM expendable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Law Firm made LM expendable?

Sure looks that way to me. I don't see how this move helps our RB depth this season, i hope our three 30 sumthings stay healthy. One thing is for sure, LM was a 1st round bust of epic proportions. Getting a 4th round pick for a 1st round pick seems like a raw deal to me.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Law Firm made LM expendable?

Pretty sure the cheerleaders made Maroney expendable.  They are much better dancers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Law Firm made LM expendable?:
    Sure looks that way to me. I don't see how this move helps our RB depth this season, i hope our three 30 sumthings stay healthy. One thing is for sure, LM was a 1st round bust of epic proportions. Getting a 4th round pick for a 1st round pick seems like a raw deal to me. Thoughts?
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09

"Getting a 4th round pick for a 1st round pick seems like a raw deal to me."

True but better than getting 7th round compensation pick when he leaves after this season....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Tackle Me LMo had to go. Fred taylor said law firm is going to be a star

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

He had a career high 9 rushing TD's last year to go along with a career high 4 crucial fumbles. I really thought this would be a good year for him, maybe it will be, in Denver. That thigh injury signaled the end.

Good luck Laura.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Law Firm made LM expendable?:
    Posted by sirpinochle

I read that, but I never take a player's opinion on stuff like this. They tend to look out for each other and are friends, so I'm not surprised he said something like that, he's biased. In my opinion the Law Firm is not going to get outside consistently in the nfl and I don't think you'll see this guy making many long runs. To me he is a back up running back that could probably win a few games for you, but once defenses focus in on him will really struggle. He does seem like a tough runner and there has been ones with limited all around games that have done well, so you never know. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

The Patriots are going to have to overhaul the RB position after this season anyways.....Taylor and Morris are both free agents

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

The Pats don't need a dancer in the backfield...

They need a guy who can run through people and get tough yards to set up the pass...

As long as Taylor stays healthy, BJGE can be that back to spell him and get tough yards...

Taylor's health is a big if though...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I don't think the Law Firm will be anything more than an avg/good back , but Maroney just barely hit those marks himself (aside from a few inspired games).

No back on this roster is the permanent answer. I hope this move cleared the way for using the Raider's 1st round pick on a RB: Mark Ingram, Dion Lewis, Jeremiah Masoli, etc. I'm not sure BB hs the guts to pull the trigger on a RB.

BUT

I like the TE's we have now; a feature back is all that is missing offensively. IMO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I don't think the Law Firm will be anything more than an avg/good back , but Maroney just barely hit those marks himself (aside from a few inspired games). No back on this roster is the permanent answer. I hope this move cleared the way for using the Raider's 1st round pick on a RB: Mark Ingram , Dion Lewis, Jeremiah Masoli, etc . I'm not sure BB hs the guts to pull the trigger on a RB. BUT I like the TE's we have now; a feature back is all that is missing offensively. IMO
    Posted by jedinate

Dion Lewis is a true sophomore who can't declare and Jeremiah Masoli is a troubled QB. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

LawFirm just might have made Maroney a more expendable option. BenJarvus looked like his typical, average/okay self on his first rushing attempt against the Bengals. He was able to carry the football for some positive yardage. Normally, I'd say BenJarvus Green-Ellis just executes the plays he's apart of and if anything he is unspectacular. Normally, BJGE has a little bit of Maroney to him in that he is tentative to move forward with strong decisiveness to his step. BenJarvus kind of resorts a bit to the outside if nothing is looking good on inside running lanes. There hasn't ever been a true spark or element of power and burst to BJGE's running style. Well, after Alge Crumpler was visibly pissed, (perhaps at the mediocre execution of BenJarvus's first rushing attempt), I notice much more conviction, a great sense of want-to, a great hunger for the endzone, and simply put, there was more pep to Green-Ellis' step on his next few rushes. It was an encouraging sign that maybe gave a great indication on what could be with this kid. I am now officially a fan of his.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Sure looks that way to me. I don't see how this move helps our RB depth this season, i hope our three 30 sumthings stay healthy. One thing is for sure, LM was a 1st round bust of epic proportions. Getting a 4th round pick for a 1st round pick seems like a raw deal to me. Thoughts?
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09

Laura made Laura expendable...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Posted by PatsRfineIn09

One thing is he was not a first round bust of epic proportions.  Jamarcus Russell was, Vernon Gholston and plenty of other guys who failed to make it on an NFL roster let alone start for 5 years.  He wasn't great, not first round talent.  Had we got him in the fourth or fifth or so I'd say we got good value. 

2nd is the Pats played him for 5 years, then got a 4th when he only had 1 year left on his contract.  Consider a similiar player on the last year of their contract was Santonio Holmes who the Steelers only got a fifth for. 

This is like buying a steak for 20 bucks, eating most of it except the bone and then selling it to the guy next to you for 5 bucks.  Even if the steak wasn't worth the 20 bucks you paid it's amazing you got anything out of what's left over.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Ingram will be his first draft choice if available. They also have Javaris James on their Practice squad and though he isn't the same type runner as his Brother Edgerin was he had a productive season at The U last season and he was one of the last cuts by Indy this preseason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

LawFirm just might have made Maroney a more expendable option. BenJarvus looked like his typical, average/okay self on his first rushing attempt against the Bengals. He was able to carry the football for some positive yardage. Normally, I'd say BenJarvus Green-Ellis just executes the plays he's apart of and if anything he is unspectacular. Normally, BJGE has a little bit of Maroney to him in that he is tentative to move forward with strong decisiveness to his step. BenJarvus kind of resorts a bit to the outside if nothing is looking good on inside running lanes. There hasn't ever been a true spark or element of power and burst to BJGE's running style. Well, after Alge Crumpler was visibly pissed, (perhaps at the mediocre execution of BenJarvus's first rushing attempt), I notice much more conviction, a great sense of want-to, a great hunger for the endzone, and simply put, there was more pep to Green-Ellis' step on his next few rushes. It was an encouraging sign that maybe gave a great indication on what could be with this kid. I am now officially a fan of his.
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick

Maybe he just needed to know he had a chance? With Laura out and Taylor preaching I am sure his self confidence will rise, and I did see a difference when he grabbed that belly on the 15 yard line he hit the whole fast jump stepped to the right 2 yards and shot straight up the field.... It was either Crumpler as you suggested or it was the play selection... Law Firm may be better suited for a zone running style verses a pulling and trapping style... just because he hits the whole hard with leverage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I will trust BB on this move. LM did look like he had potential in his first year, but then he never could take it to the next level.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I'm not sure BB hs the guts to pull the trigger on a RB."

You mean like when he drafted Maroney in the first round? Not sure why that would make him reluctant to draft a running back in the first round...err....

In all seriousness, as long as Taylor/Morris stay somewhat healthy, I think law firm will be good enough. Sometimes just getting an *ss dragger out of the locker room can do wonders. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Pretty sure the cheerleaders made Maroney expendable.  They are much better dancers.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

LOL, good one

speaking of cheerleaders, some of these women are hot http://www.patriots.com/cheerleaders/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Law Firm made LM expendable? : Laura made Laura expendable...
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

This is what I came here to say, but you beat me to it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

Posted by PatsRfineIn09

This will sound crazy because I doubt many people might remember the articles comming out in 2005 with steriod use and Minnesota. Here is one of the old links still around http://www.ergogenics.org/fbi3.html

When the Patriots drafted Maroney in 2006 I was real happy, until my brother who is big into college football said he was on roids his sophmore and junior year then with all the heat going around with the steriods and the FBI investigations he opted for the draft, I thought my brother was nuts.

Was he and did he use roids, He ballooned up in mass his sophmere year and was running over people like a train when he was playing, Then when he got into the Patriot organization, they were concerned and wanted him to put on more weight. THen every time he started getting hit he was getting hurt.
    He was agressive the first 2 years as a Patriot but then went downhill, and the injuries continue to this day to mount up.

Again was he a steroid user,  back in 2002 to 2005 steroids were still the norm with the college players and the Pro's Rodney Harrison was nabbed for HGH in 2007 if you remember, but back to Maroney.

One problem with long term Steroid use is physical weakness and injuries after terms have been depleted. I watched Maroney while he played at Minnesota and to see him then and to see him the last 2 years in my opinion because he had incredible competition at Minnesota with Marion Barber and G Russell

I Could be way off here but I dont think so. Its really too bad he never worked out, Im sure its got to suk for him espically now seeing the Patriots and the possibility the offense now has again

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

One thing is he was not a first round bust of epic proportions.  Jamarcus Russell was, Vernon Gholston and plenty of other guys who failed to make it on an NFL roster let alone start for 5 years.
    Posted by shenanigan

Gholston played last night but he is a bust and Russell agreed, a bust, but there are a lot of bust QB's in the 1st round of the draft, that's not so uncommon.
    RB's on the other hand that are 1st round picks have a higher success rate except for the poster child of failure, Laura Maroney.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Posted by sirpinochle

And I'm pretty sure Paul Pierce said Orien Greene would be the next Jason Kidd. Unless he beats women, he is nothing like Jason Kidd.

I'mjust saying. Just because Taylor said it, doesn't make true. If anything, BJGE looks less effective than he did two years ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

LM ran pretty well in his first year--I think he lost confidence along the way and started to think too hard about what he was doing rather than just run instinctually.  A change of scenery will probably help him.  I wish him the best.  I don't think he was a bad kid.

As far as BJGE becoming a top-level starter, I don't see it--at least not yet.  He may, however, become a Morris type guy, someone who can eat up clock and pound the ball in near the goal line or in short yardage situations. Given our explosive passing offense, BB currently uses the running game more as a second-half clock-devourer than a main offensive threat, I think.  However, the Pats passing offense always seems better to me if there's at least a threat of a more explosive running game in the first half.  That's why Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon were so useful in the Super Bowl years.  Fred Taylor is a similar kind of guy to those two--a back who forces defenses to pay attention to the running game early in the game and not focus solely on Brady and the receivers.  We just need someone to back Taylor up if he gets hurt.  I don't see either Morris or BJGE as being ideal replacements for Taylor if he gets hurt, but the Pats can at least get by with them for a while until they pick up someone more explosive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

LM ran pretty well in his first year--I think he lost confidence along the way and started to think too hard about what he was doing rather than just run instinctually.  A change of scenery will probably help him.  I wish him the best.  I don't think he was a bad kid. As far as BJGE becoming a top-level starter, I don't see it--at least not yet.  He may, however, become a Morris type guy, someone who can eat up clock and pound the ball in near the goal line or in short yardage situations. Given our explosive passing offense, BB currently uses the running game more as a second-half clock-devourer than a main offensive threat, I think.  However, the Pats passing offense always seems better to me if there's at least a threat of a more explosive running game in the first half.  That's why Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon were so useful in the Super Bowl years.  Fred Taylor is a similar kind of guy to those two--a back who forces defenses to pay attention to the running game early in the game and not focus solely on Brady and the receivers.  We just need someone to back Taylor up if he gets hurt.  I don't see either Morris or BJGE as being ideal replacements for Taylor if he gets hurt, but the Pats can at least get by with them for a while until they pick up someone more explosive.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Using the running game as a second half clock eater doesn't work if it results in a 3 and out series. You get 2 short gains then have to resort to an obvious pass on third down. too bad we couldn't have gotten rid of maroney earlier and kept Heath Evans. He was a great lead blocker.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

I dont know that any RB in this offense with this OL would put up big numbers. The OL is more adept at pass blocking than playing smash mouth. I think LM would have put up very good numbers in Denver under Shanahan, but not so much under McDaniels.
    Not a fan of BJGE. Good guy, hard worker, would like to see him play well, but I dont think he has the speed to be an NFL RB nor does he have the size/strength to compensate for the lack of speed. Avg blocker, below avg hands. Special teams contributions but certainly replaceable if he was to get more carries.
    The #4 seems high for trade value. Oft injured. Needs to play in a certain scheme to succeed. Good speed/size combo. Good hands. Avg to poor pass protection. Last year on his contract means whomever gets him has him for only 15 games. #4 in return for 15 games is nice value on the Pats part.

Sections
Shortcuts