Lawrence Maroney Will Step Up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

Re: Lawrence Maroney Will Step Up

Who's the looney toon that voted for Maroney making it to the Pro Bowl?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpatsfan. Show soxpatsfan's posts

I read where Maroney said he is concentrating on going "north".   Somebody best get that boy a compass because his definition of north and Patriot Nations definition of going north are about 90 degrees off!

Robert E Lee

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stringer1776. Show stringer1776's posts

He could still prove to be the successor to Kevin Faulk, as he is a good reciever.

He could also YET prove to be a runner. I still am carrying a torch.

It used to be said that K. Faulk couldn't be an every down back and yet he has done it for spells. Sure his career would have been shorter if he'd been full time all the time.

It took Fred Taylor a couple of years to find his NFL-self too. 

We don't know yet if Maroney could be a Curtis Martin / Robert Edwards (rookie year)...  or if he's definately a Reggie Dupard / Vegas Ferguson relative bust.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

In Response to Lawrence Maroney Will Step Up:
    [QUOTE]Maroney,  Has all of the talent in the world. We saw what he can do when he's healthy. Now it appears he's working of the mental side of the game. There are no runners in the NFL with Lawrence's intangibles. He's potentially more of a complete back than AP.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawrence have a Pro Bowl caliber rest of the season and throughout the postseason. My predictions 4.8 ypc and 25 rec for 300 yds. If we see those numbers the Pats will be the Superbowl favorite.
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

we know what he is capable of . He showed it in 2007

But his injury history has prevented his growth as a running back. He can never settle into a groove. 

I DO think he will step up and do a better job as long as he does not get injured. 

He is determined, he knows what he has to improve , he knows that he has to improve. I know he has a solid work ethic and am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sure he has a history of dancing but I am betting that he makes great strides in that area with the increased pressure for a contract, with fred out, from the fan base etc

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Lawrence Maroney Will Step Up:
    [QUOTE]" That is why BB keeps trying - if Maroney could get some confidence, relax and let the play come to him, he could be great." It seems inconceivable that the pragmatic Belichick would "keep trying".  There's something else going on here which sends Maroney out on the field while Green-Ellis sits.
    Posted by Yapple[/QUOTE]

Career Stats (not including preseason) from NFL.com including Maroney's 2009 2.7 yards per carry average:

Maroney 415 attempts, 1751 yards, 4.2 yards per attempt
    BJGE 74 attempts, 275 yards, 3.7 yards per attempt

BJGE has had 74 attempts - that is more than just a couple. BJGE is a 0.5 yard per attempt below Maroney. I like both guys. Why is there "something else going on here"? What does that mean?

Maroney has greater yards per attempt, is bigger, stronger and faster. Why the conspiracy theory?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

I also like Law Firm and am happy he will get his shot. 

Competition is great for all of our RBS and Im sure they will push each other and all try to to step up their games

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

Everyone is busy talking about Law Firm and Maroney and while I love BJGE and everything , Sammy Morris is a stud and as long as he is healthy, to me with or without ft sammy is still the most consistent back 

beside Mr. 3rd down that is 

Im not concerned in the slightest about the running situation in N.E . BB kept reserves for this reason and there is more than enough talent in this group to get the job done . 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]Who's the looney toon that voted for Maroney making it to the Pro Bowl?!?!
    Posted by Payment84[/QUOTE]

someone whose names starts with lawrence and ends with ..roney

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]It's easy to give up on him but the last I checked he's a New England Patriot so instead of giving up on him like a NY fan try getting behind him like BB is doing.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Would love to - need a reason though...even a tiny one is fine - but please show us  atleast a glimpse ....

Also for us to get BEHIND him, he needs to move FORWARD -

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

I think Maroney can become fairly good at running the ball, we have all seen what he can do when he finds the hole right away its 5-10 yards atleast... if he can identify the hole quicker and not dance around waiting to find it he will improve the chances of removing the name of some of bust from over his head, i know this guy has enough talent to do so its just so frustrating he cant do it every time he gets the ball. i have this guys jersey so im not gonna give up on him just yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Kinda getting sick of the Maroney Debate but I always click to see what people are saying. I have been a supporter of Maroney for the past few years when everyone has been giving him grief. I think I have started to see the light. Let's move Maroney. Time to move on and to all the supporters still out there, what are you hanging onto? R3S1N20-you have his jersey so I suppose I get it, but I mean come on. He is not Faulk's successor. I hear that quite often actually that he is a good receiver...Drives me crazy. He catches the odd swing or screen pass in the flats. He also drops a few as well. Is not nearly as sure handed as Faulk, who we have seen making diving, rolling catches for first downs on 3rd and long. Faulk is as clutch as they come in the receiving department people. Maroney is catching the odd screen pass, he is not running routes or anything downfield. He does do a decent job with the ball in his hands once he does catch it. That is about it when it comes to his receiving ability. Why are we still defending him when guys like Steve Slaton and Matt Forte come in and make immediate impacts on teams that are expected to run the ball, on teams that defenses try and actually stop the run against. The avg. RBs career is 3.5 years. Maroney had potential 3 years ago now it just sounds like that same old record spinning round. RB is the easiest position to come in out of college and make an impact. Why not look to pick one up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Sorry I took so long to get my rant out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosportfan. Show bosportfan's posts

[QUOTE]Kinda getting sick of the Maroney Debate but I always click to see what people are saying. I have been a supporter of Maroney for the past few years when everyone has been giving him grief. I think I have started to see the light. Let's move Maroney. Time to move on and to all the supporters still out there, what are you hanging onto? R3S1N20-you have his jersey so I suppose I get it, but I mean come on. He is not Faulk's successor. I hear that quite often actually that he is a good receiver...Drives me crazy. He catches the odd swing or screen pass in the flats. He also drops a few as well. Is not nearly as sure handed as Faulk, who we have seen making diving, rolling catches for first downs on 3rd and long. Faulk is as clutch as they come in the receiving department people. Maroney is catching the odd screen pass, he is not running routes or anything downfield. He does do a decent job with the ball in his hands once he does catch it. That is about it when it comes to his receiving ability. Why are we still defending him when guys like Steve Slaton and Matt Forte come in and make immediate impacts on teams that are expected to run the ball, on teams that defenses try and actually stop the run against. The avg. RBs career is 3.5 years. Maroney had potential 3 years ago now it just sounds like that same old record spinning round. RB is the easiest position to come in out of college and make an impact. Why not look to pick one up in the 2nd or 3rd round. Sorry I took so long to get my rant out.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

Bottom line like i said earlier he is as dumb as rock and i don't want to hear this oh give him more time garbage. Look at Jarvis how long did it take him to hit a hole??? and they don't even play him its time to move him while they can get a six round pick for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lawrence Maroney Will Step Up : Bottom line like i said earlier he is as dumb as rock and i don't want to hear this oh give him more time garbage. Look at Jarvis how long did it take him to hit a hole??? and they don't even play him its time to move him while they can get a six round pick for him.
    Posted by bosportfan[/QUOTE]

I think you are a little ignorant, but you are straight to the point. I wouldn't say he is dumb as a rock. He says what Bill has told all the players what they are allowed to say. I mean, unless you know him personally how can you really say that he is dumb or not. I think the bottom line is RBs are only as good as their OL. I think this OL is made for pass protection but at the same time can be pretty effective run blockers. I used to defend Maroney up until this year and its not because his 2 point whatever YPC its because all his defenders seem to say he has potential lets just give him more time. My response to that now is why? Every back coming out of college has potential. I don't think Maroney's potential stays the same as it was 3 or 4 years ago with having 3 or 4 consecutive years with injuries. His potential actually drops off substantially especially when you think an avg. NFL back's career is 3.5 years. Time for a changing of the guard. And that includes every back on the roster, except for Faulk cuz he's my boy and maybe Green-Ellis cuz he is the new guard so to speak. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

"Has all of the talent in the world."

Nothing like pulling a hollow Bull$h!t statement out of one's @ss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Viewer222, 

I understand your point only so far. I'm in favor of trying to trade Maroney for a draft choice if we can, depending on if any one has interest. I harbor no grudges against Maroney, but keeping Maroney in as the starter for the season just because he was drafted high makes little sense, and works against the best interest of the offense. Except for 07, and injured in 08, he's shown little to no progress and is slipping backwards. When he carries, as everyone knows he doesn't find holes well, dances a lot producing little yardage, showing no power. He should be a power back like Dillon was. At best, I say give him a few more starts at most, and if he doesn't turn it around with the Pats, he never will. After that give Morris or BJGE a try and hope for the best.  

Personally I hope Maroney can turn it around, and become the back he looked like in 07, but my gut reaction is that if it hasn't happened so far, it will not despite Maroney's best intentions. 

Hetchinspete.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Viewer222,  I understand your point only so far. I'm in favor of trying to trade Maroney for a draft choice if we can, depending on if any one has interest. I harbor no grudges against Maroney, but keeping Maroney in as the starter for the season just because he was drafted high makes little sense, and works against the best interest of the offense. Except for 07, and injured in 08, he's shown little to no progress and is slipping backwards. When he carries, as everyone knows he doesn't find holes well, dances a lot producing little yardage, showing no power. He should be a power back like Dillon was. At best, I say give him a few more starts at most, and if he doesn't turn it around with the Pats, he never will. After that give Morris or BJGE a try and hope for the best.   Personally I hope Maroney can turn it around, and become the back he looked like in 07, but my gut reaction is that if it hasn't happened so far, it will not despite Maroney's best intentions.  Hetchinspete.   
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

What does Maroneys draft position have to do with why it makes no sense for him to be the starter. He is the most athletic rb on the team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

This is what I was talking about...  Hitting the O-line and NOT moving, Mike Reiss put up this stat...

The breakdown of negative runs:

Laurence Maroney -- 7 in 27 attempts

Fred Taylor -- 2 in 45 attempts

Sammy Morris -- 2 in 13 attempts

Kevin Faulk -- 1 in 16 attempts

26%?!?!  I know he doesn't get a ton of carries, but it hasn't just been a game or two...  I've always hoped for the best for Maroney, but how many more games are we going to deal with this before enough is enough?! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

As I tried to point out earlier, I watch the games like you do and I get just as frustrated watching him either run into someone's back or do his dance. If they can make a move and pick something up on the off season it'll be something to look at but right now he's our guy. 
    With that said I think he's going to come out tomorrow and have a game against a great D and continue on to have a decent season (not great) carrying the lions share. Sammy, Kevin and Esq. will be huge as well, as they'll need to be.

Tomorrow's one chapter in a long book but if he blows again tomorrow I'll be here to take it next week. If he has a game I would expect the Maroney haters to keep that same point of view as well. 

GO PATS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Speedyrpm. Show Speedyrpm's posts

I don't think Maroney will step up .... he will step back then run sideways.   The guy is a bust and has done nothing to disprove it.  Guys picked several rounds behind him in the draft have stepped up when called upon and got the job done.  Maroney when called upon just doesn't do it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

In Response to Lawrence Maroney Will Step Up:
    [QUOTE]There are no runners in the NFL with Lawrence's intangibles. He's potentially more of a complete back than AP.
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

O.o

ROTFLMMFAO!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: LOL TCal bringing this back up. screw maroney

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Joe, that was my previous profile that BDC linked me to. The Maroney thread was at the top of that profiles page.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dx7's comment:
    [QUOTE]Maroney, 

Has all of the talent in the world. We saw what he can do when he's healthy. Now it appears he's working of the mental side of the game. There are no runners in the NFL with Lawrence's intangibles. He's potentially more of a complete back than AP. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawrence have a Pro Bowl caliber rest of the season and throughout the postseason. My predictions 4.8 ypc and 25 rec for 300 yds. If we see those numbers the Pats will be the Superbowl favorite.

[/QUOTE]

wow this is funny, I believe this is the year he was traded to Denver right after training camp. I had predicted his departure because he was playing late into the 4th quarter in the final preseason gm. Thats always

a bad sign. Prow Bowl?!??!   LOL   This dude said Maroney has potential to be better than AP!?!?   Ok, I always thought Maroney had the body but not the brains for the position and he was too tall and not elusive enough. Outside

of his stiff arm he never showed after rookie year he had NO moves and needed to be in space.

Sections
Shortcuts