League Bias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: League Bias

The Tuck Rule is an actual rule that was enforced correctly.

That's for starters. At least the call was not made up completely like we saw with Indy getting that call on Hobbs where the league actually apologized.

So, do your homework first, big mouth, and look at facts and contexts.

Next, no one is "crying" about the last place Broncos.

We'd like to know why Goodell chose to only enforce the rule when a jealous rival team made a spectacle out of the location in 2007, but never checked any team's filming procedures prior to the incident.

Goodell has no clue what teams had on NE.

So, other than, what SHOULD HAVE BEEN a slap on the wrist, like he just gave Denver, his knee jerk Draconian ruling has been exposed.

The memo itself specifies locations, not the act itself.  This is why the memo up against the Constitution and ByLaws was confusing, especially when just reiterating a portion of what the Constiution and ByLaws portion read.

Was there a cover letter saying something like: "It has become apparent some teams are taping team's signals, and to make this clear, you cann't do that."...?

Was this included with this shotgun management of sending out some random memo to teams?

That didn't happen, or it has not been reported that it did. 

What would one think by getting a memo?  You could argue coaches could have called to clarify and I have no issue with that argument. I don't disagree.

It's pretty obvious the concept of stealing signals and taping is legal, but just not from the locations they list.

In this way, NE was guilty of the location, Yes. But, they were not guilty any deception or a calculated attempt to gain some secret advantage doing this in the open just like every other team does.

Which is what the organization and fans have stated from the beginning.  What the real issues became later, is how the media and some teams and their fans CONTINUE to lie about this being some definitive advantage or how it helped them win SBs.

Outrageous premise and this will go down as the biggest witch hunt in sports history.

Look how it is brought up, 3 years later!  Unreal.

What McDaniels had Scarnecchia do is worse, in my opininon. Closed practices are a lot different than in-game scouting that is legal.

ESPN's Mike Reiss, explains it well in his mailbag today:

Q: Hi Mike, in light of the revelations regarding Josh McDaniels, I had a question regarding the previous Patriots penalty. I was always under the impression that if the Patriots had just taped the Jets' hand signals from the stands/crowd, then it's considered legal and that the location of the taping was the illegal part. Is that correct? -- Gary (Cambridge, MA)

A: Gary, the initial rule in the Constitution & Bylaws was written poorly so that it could have been interpreted in a number of ways. In September 2006, the league sent a memo to all teams letting them know that any taping of signals -- from any location -- was prohibited. Here are the three key pieces of information which I dug up from that time:

Constitution & Bylaws: "Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."

September 2006 memo: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

League's operations manual: "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." Furthermore, all video shooting locations for shooting purposes "must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I think it's time to put spygate to bed and realize the real reason the Pats got fined as heavily as they did.

In 2006 the owners got together during one of their meetings and decided that technology (video technology in particular along with computer technology) was getting to the point where it's effects would outweigh the contributions of the players themselves. There was a Pats Total Access show (at least I think it was a PTA) that showed a video system, the Pats developed, that would allow them to pull up all the videos of individual players from any team that had been shot by the league, the teams, the networks and by NFL Films. This allowed all their players to review the guys they were going to play that week to find tendancies and moves and then find ways to counter them. I'm sure, along with the video, all the info about that particular play was also available since you could do a search in their library for player, down and distance, time left in game and I'm sure others that they didn't show. Now that was back 2000-2003 time frame and I wouldn't doubt that the Pats software people could come up with an algorithm that could search their library for all the players on the opponents team, mash all the info together, and predict the most likely play or set of plays given the facts of the game up to that point in the game. That would probably only take a year or two to accomplish. The only problem with using this tech during the game would be processing power and speed which I'm pretty sure we still don't have yet today.

Anyway the rest of the owners didn't like this direction technology was going in so they decided that they would take the first step and stop allowing teams to video their opponents signals. They probably did this so teams, if they persued the above technology couldn't speed up their search enough to actually use it in the game they were playing. I'm pretty sure they also started banning other things like laptops and other electronics from the sidelines. From what I've read, they never changed any rules about this but they did send out a cease and desist memo stating all teams would stop doing all this stuff in 2006.  The Pats caught the Jets taping in 2006 and probably told the league but they didn't do anything but tell the Jets to stop. Other teams also got caught in 2006 but there was no punishment. Beginning the 2007 season the League Office sent another cease and desist order. This time when the Pats got caught there was a BIG penalty to pay. But it wasn't for cheating, as the Commish was kind enough to tell everyone, it was for insubordination. The commissioner even said it was for "ignoring the memo" on national TV.

So if you want to engage the "Cheatriots" crowd. Please let them know it wasn't cheating that got the Pats and BB fined. It was insuboardination. Plain and simple.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehen. Show mikehen's posts

WAAAAAAAHHHHHH.....  9-2 and in first and all you can do is cry about Denver. Oh, what about Indy and their noise?  How unfair. WAAAHHHHHH.  F'ing Baaahstan.  Everybody is against us.  You're right.  Bunch of a-holes.  thats the reason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: League Bias:
    I think it's time to put spygate to bed and realize the real reason the Pats got fined as heavily as they did. In 2006 the owners got together during one of their meetings and decided that technology (video technology in particular along with computer technology) was getting to the point where it's effects would outweigh the contributions of the players themselves. There was a Pats Total Access show (at least I think it was a PTA) that showed a video system, the Pats developed, that would allow them to pull up all the videos of individual players from any team that had been shot by the league, the teams, the networks and by NFL Films. This allowed all their players to review the guys they were going to play that week to find tendancies and moves and then find ways to counter them. I'm sure, along with the video, all the info about that particular play was also available since you could do a search in their library for player, down and distance, time left in game and I'm sure others that they didn't show. Now that was back 2000-2003 time frame and I wouldn't doubt that the Pats software people could come up with an algorithm that could search their library for all the players on the opponents team, mash all the info together, and predict the most likely play or set of plays given the facts of the game up to that point in the game. That would probably only take a year or two to accomplish. The only problem with using this tech during the game would be processing power and speed which I'm pretty sure we still don't have yet today. Anyway the rest of the owners didn't like this direction technology was going in so they decided that they would take the first step and stop allowing teams to video their opponents signals. They probably did this so teams, if they persued the above technology couldn't speed up their search enough to actually use it in the game they were playing. I'm pretty sure they also started banning other things like laptops and other electronics from the sidelines. From what I've read, they never changed any rules about this but they did send out a cease and desist memo stating all teams would stop doing all this stuff in 2006.  The Pats caught the Jets taping in 2006 and probably told the league but they didn't do anything but tell the Jets to stop. Other teams also got caught in 2006 but there was no punishment. Beginning the 2007 season the League Office sent another cease and desist order. This time when the Pats got caught there was a BIG penalty to pay. But it wasn't for cheating, as the Commish was kind enough to tell everyone, it was for insubordination. The commissioner even said it was for "ignoring the memo" on national TV. So if you want to engage the "Cheatriots" crowd. Please let them know it wasn't cheating that got the Pats and BB fined. It was insuboardination. Plain and simple.
    Posted by rtuinila

I agree completely. 

NE got a little to efficient with their scouting, coaching, cap management, etc, and their veteran players knowledge of the offenses and defenses, taking pay cuts, etc, free agents banging dow the door to play there, etc.

In other words, jealousy.

In some form, isn't Polian going to the Rules Committee after the 2003 title game, with his entitled Colts still embittered from the AFC Title game loss, a form of scouring for ways to try to weaken NE?

Oh, I think it is!

The hypocrisy by other current coaches or coaches who have an interest in coaching in this league like Brian Billick, just last night babbling about how he's never "cheated", etc, is beyond laughable.

I'd bet if you questioned all the people employeed in every organization prior to 2007, and their video coordination staff, they all had varying levels of this kind of procedure.

It's the phony behavior by the NFL people and the media's incessant inaccuracy of reporting the facts and contexts that bothers Pats fans, and I am sure the Krafts and the organization as a whole.

Total hypocrisy, even though I do agree, BB was wrong for not following the rule correctly.

Every single piece of evidence and fact leans towards BB being absolutely correct about how the rule was enforced, the grey areas in the rule, the confusion as to why the Jets weren't reprimanded in 2006, while NE was, etc.

I also think the media was prodded by rival teams to spin it in such a way to make it seem sinister and deceitful.

Who wouldn't have loved to have been a fly on the wall in those conversations between Goodell and BB in Sept of 2007?

Until then, we can wait for the book when BB hopefully exposes Goodell for the poor leader he is.

Sections
Shortcuts