league source: Vince Wilfork has torn Achilles - almost certainly ends his season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnCrunch. Show CaptnCrunch's posts

Re: league source: Vince Wilfork has torn Achilles - almost certainly ends his season

In response to NOISE's comment:

Deer Antler Spray!!!! give Ray Ray a call.....He is in Bristol, Conn now....not too far...

Do they make Rhino/Hippo spray? "BIG" Vince is a modest description for sure. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: league source: Vince Wilfork has torn Achilles - almost certainly ends his season

The truth is that the teams that are the healthiest in the playoffs have a very very big edge. This is a loss we have no replacement for. It will mean a change to assignments on the D line.

This does not eliminate us by any stretch. BUt it will change who the team is by the end of the season.

Another truth: teams... good teams I mean, are built from the lines back. We have needed to reload at DT for a couple of years. Kelly is a good example of some success there. Who knows about Armsted...  But we do need to be looking for a replacement to Vinny before he retires in the same way you do with a QB. The DL stud need not be at DT. Jones is close but I do not know if he will ever really dominate the line itself or just be a solid player with a very good pass rush. He is not Seymour. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

shalise manza young @shalisemyoung 49m

league source: Vince Wilfork has torn Achilles - almost certainly ends his season

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Horrible, just horrible if true.

Hows that D. Tackle Depth looking now!  SmDH! The Only NEgative from an otherwise great sunday! Ive had a bad feeling about Vince and who is behind him all year and the one year we dont have anyone, this guy gets a season ending injury!?  Wow...Lets hope they can find some big body they can plug in. Its a huge blow in terms of leadership, but we may actually be able to survive this if he had some real backups. Vellano did well but against teams that wanna run, he aint gonna cut it. Where is that Armstead dude everyone was bragging about? How about Ron Brace?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Can Spikes contribute on the DL?   Or Hightower?  Big guys.  Maybe speed can substitute for the loss of size.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The two most important words I've read in this thread are 'If true'.   We'll see on that score.

With respect to the criticism of lack of depth on the DL, yep, many mentioned it, myself included.  And that kind of criticism can be voiced by every fan of every team when a major player at a critical position goes down.  Be interesting to see what the team does if Big Vince really is out for the year.

To those of you who believe that they now have free reign to say I told you so:  by all means do so.  Quite frankly, though, I've never understood what the point might be of uttering that phrase regardless the situation in any aspect of life.  Self satisifaction?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention the aspect that annoys me the most about this injury, I f-ing hate astro turf, it should be outlawed, banned and torn up in stadiums around the world.  

Whoever thought it was a good idea to play sports on concrete, slap a little of that fake grass that you have on the door matt outside your tool shed for cushioning should have their college degree taken away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

VW needs to be replaced with a true DT, not someone who is effective as a DE but not stout enough to play inside for 50+ snaps a game.  If you put a smaller guy in there you end up playing more 4 man fronts and the coverage suffers on passing downs.

Time to scour the available FAs, practice squads of other teams, and consider trades.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This is terrible news to wake up to, I thought he had a twisted ankle considering he walked off on his own last night... if he was injured prior to this game, why was this not detected, more importantly why didn't he get a game or two off?  I hate to second guess the training staff but it would have been better to ride out a stretch of games without him than lose him completely.  Joe Vellano might have a future as a situational pass rusher, but as an every down starter he gets moved off his spot way to easy, teams will run all over us, not to mention that Tommy Kelly is not exactly young.  

We have to make a move on a player in trade or pray that AJ Francis is ready to play, also that Armstead is ready after two more games...

I aslo think he was playing thru something. I mentioned it last week and everyone jumped on me. Vince is FINE, you didnt see him laughig it up after the game??  Well I was more concerned with how he looked during games.....smh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

VW needs to be replaced with a true DT, not someone who is effective as a DE but not stout enough to play inside for 50+ snaps a game.  If you put a smaller guy in there you end up playing more 4 man fronts and the coverage suffers on passing downs.

Time to scour the available FAs, practice squads of other teams, and consider trades.

This^

The guy who can replace Vince isn't a linebacker or the oversized linebackers we call defensive ends nowadays, and it's definitely not Joe Vellano...  I hoping it's this AJ Francis kid but this Chris Jones guy seems to ahead of him on the depth chart which means Francis may have some stuff left to learn still?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This^

The guy who can replace Vince isn't a linebacker or the oversized linebackers we call defensive ends nowadays, and it's definitely not Joe Vellano...  I hoping it's this AJ Francis kid but this Chris Jones guy seems to ahead of him on the depth chart which means Francis may have some stuff left to learn still?

I saw this Jones guy playing last night. When did we sign Him?? and where is he from?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

No way he walks in a boot if it's a complete tear, but even if it's a partial tear, his season is over. This is tough to swallow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

how about we help the browns with their fire sale and trade for Phil Taylor. A 3rd might do it for a 1 year rental and who knows maybe we could resign him.

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

I have been saying this for months. I don't think he is a FA though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I saw this Jones guy playing last night. When did we sign Him?? and where is he from?

Played for Texans and Tampa in the preseason, rookie drafted in the 6th round by Houston.  His agility drills were the best in the combine at DT outside of Jared Smith who is smallish, also only three DT's were better on the bench press then him with 30 reps.  His vertical leap at the Bowling Green pro day would have placed 4th at the combine for DT's had he jumped.  

All around good athlete who piled up stats at a smaller school, he really played in the opponent's backfield so there's a lot to like about the kid.  Six sacks as a Sophomore, nine as a junior and thirteen as a senior with a ton of tackles for a loss.  I hope he climbs ahead of Vellano because he should be able to hold his ground better, he has a low center of gravity at 6'1" and hopefully is more stout against the run. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sad to say but you rest up Big Vince. On to the next guy. The season goes on. I was hoping that Vince would get to play in the superbowl this year. His window is closing too.

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4750019/considering-vince-wilfork-replacements-for-the-new-england-patriots

Reiss thinks the most likely replacement is an in house promotion.

Living well is the best revenge.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Next man up!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

I know we have the "Next man up" mantra in New England. But Vince was one of the few guys that was irreplaceable. He is a game changer. His absence could very likely be the difference between home field advantage and going into a playoff game on the road. Or even the difference between  a playoff win and a playoff loss. He is that dominant.

What sucks the most is that this defense has been really good. For the first time in ten years.

This is literally the worst thing that could have happened for us last night. Right up there with losing Brady.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Can the people who were asking to draft a DT now say... I told you so?

This is, without a doubt, one of the single DUMBEST posts I've ever read. That is saying quite a bit considering the posters around here.

Yeah, Vince may miss his first game since 2009, "you certainly told us so". Fking moron.

Wow... using the "F'ing M" phrase on me? Must have struck a chord.

I've known you to be a better poster than this. Never, never have I called anyone names. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Yea why are we saying we predicted Vinces injury just because we wanted more than 2 tackles on the roster?  Some of you guys get up on mondays like you clean Whale sh*t for a living.....Jeeez!

Guys need to learn to co-exist w/out all the personal attacks.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

There are players out there do you want a nose or a 4-3 DT? Hightower can play in the dirt, but is too valuable at LB. I was thinking is there a 3-4 DE the Pats can kick inside in the interim?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention the aspect that annoys me the most about this injury, I f-ing hate astro turf, it should be outlawed, banned and torn up in stadiums around the world.  

Whoever thought it was a good idea to play sports on concrete, slap a little of that fake grass that you have on the door matt outside your tool shed for cushioning should have their college degree taken away.

Maybe he did not have a college degree

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Yup...

Looking at the OL of the best teams right now, they're bigger than they used to be. Sometimes you come across a lightish (290-300) DT who has the strength or quickness to handle interior assignment, but that I believe is outside the norm. And if it's the case, that guy would be playing DT now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

This is, without a doubt, one of the single DUMBEST posts I've ever read. That is saying quite a bit considering the posters around here.

Yeah, Vince may miss his first game since 2009, "you certainly told us so". Fking moron.

I've known you to be a better poster than this. Never, never have I called anyone names. 

That's what people do when they don't have anything intelligent to contribute. Or they are dealing with Rusty.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Section136's comment:

That's what people do when they don't have anything intelligent to contribute. Or they are dealing with Rusty.

Dragon's normally above that

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm going to go ahead and beat a dead horse here...they should never, ever, ever of gone into this season as thin as they were at that defensive tackle spot. I'll beat that thing a lttle bit more...they were beyond lucky to of gotten as much out of Wilfork as they did...they ran that guy into the ground. It's beyond ridicolous to play a 350 pound defensive tackle as much as they did, and to think that something like this wasn't going to happen?? Dumb. They should of drafted someone (who wasn't a bust), or signed someone (who wasn't Fenene or Haynesworth or Shaun freaken Ellis).

This is as bad an injury as you're going to find for us, this guy was irreplaceable.

Sections
Shortcuts