League's Best TE - Gronk or Graham?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

League's Best TE - Gronk or Graham?

With Gronk out of the picture due to injuries, this debate has been pretty much won by default by the Saints' TE Graham.  Once Gronk is healthy and back playing full time, who here thinks he will rise to the top again and Graham will be second like he was when Gronk was playing?

An article in USA Today speaks to the fact Graham is the best TE in the NFL "now" and upon Gronk's return the debate will start anew.  Seems when these two are put side by side, I recall many have indicated Gronk is a better blocker and that is the edge he gets over Graham.  Gronk is the better overall TE with excellent catching and blocking abilities.  Graham is a catching machine.

What say you all?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: League's Best TE - Gronk or Graham?

Prior to Gronks injury Graham couldn't carry Gronk's you know what..

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I really hope this is sarcasm! I wouldn't even put Gronk in the top 2. Graham and Gonzalez are both ahead of him as far as TE's go. They are also more durable as well. Overall, the very fragile is Gronk 3rd at best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Actually I'm quite serious..Before his injury Gronk was unstopable..period. He could not be covered, could not be blocked and changed the outcome of games. His superior blocking makes it a no brainer. Yes, he's that good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Now of course we are talking as if all things are equal. Gronks health will impact future ratings but when healthy I'm taking this guy's position.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/59832/graham-is-not-better-than-gronkowski

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I really hope this is sarcasm! I wouldn't even put Gronk in the top 2. Graham and Gonzalez are both ahead of him as far as TE's go. They are also more durable as well. Overall, the very fragile is Gronk 3rd at best.

[/QUOTE]

How is he "fragile"?  The injuries he suffered were from: #1 - being tackled by Pollard in such a way Pollard twisted Gronk's ankle; #2 - blocking for a pt after and suffered the freakish broken arm.  Not Amendola type injuries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How is he "fragile"?  The injuries he suffered were from: #1 - being tackled by Pollard in such a way Pollard twisted Gronk's ankle; #2 - blocking for a pt after and suffered the freakish broken arm.  Not Amendola type injuries.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly...very good points. Gronks on-going issue relates to an infection and the delay it caused in allowing his arm to heal normally...if he didn't get the infection he would have already been back on the field. Look at Tampa Bay.they got 3 players battling MRSA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The point is and the frustrating part is Gronk is off the field more than he is on the field. To say that Graham couldn't carry Gronk's you know what is lunacy. Does everyone really think if and even when Gronk comes back he is magically going to save the season for them?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

Actually I'm quite serious..Before his injury Gronk was unstopable..period. He could not be covered, could not be blocked and changed the outcome of games. His superior blocking makes it a no brainer. Yes, he's that good.

[/QUOTE]

Drew Brees and Matt Ryan are saying the exact same thing about their TE's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

On Sunday?  Graham.   Three weeks from now?  Probably Gronk, because Graham can't block.

A 1-dimensional tight end ought to be called a slot receiver.  Drew Brees deals with pressure because he has no running game to keep the blitzers off of him, and that's partly because Jimmy Graham can't block. 

When Gronk gets back, Ridley and company are going to have a party, so that Tom Brady will have more time to look over the field.  Then he'll find Gronk open in the flats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

With Gronk out of the picture due to injuries, this debate has been pretty much won by default by the Saints' TE Graham.  Once Gronk is healthy and back playing full time, who here thinks he will rise to the top again and Graham will be second like he was when Gronk was playing?

An article in USA Today speaks to the fact Graham is the best TE in the NFL "now" and upon Gronk's return the debate will start anew.  Seems when these two are put side by side, I recall many have indicated Gronk is a better blocker and that is the edge he gets over Graham.  Gronk is the better overall TE with excellent catching and blocking abilities.  Graham is a catching machine.

What say you all?

[/QUOTE]

The better TE is the one who is on the field playing and contributing to his team's cause. Talent and ability is not material right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The point is and the frustrating part is Gronk is off the field more than he is on the field. To say that Graham couldn't carry Gronk's you know what is lunacy. Does everyone really think if and even when Gronk comes back he is magically going to save the season for them?

[/QUOTE]

No, he is not "fragile".  Saving the season was not the point of this discussion.  He simply brings back a valuable offensive weapon the Pats have been missing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ah.. would you expect anything less from them?  Their TEs are excellent, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What say you all?

[/QUOTE]

The better TE is the one who is on the field playing and contributing to his team's cause. Talent and ability is not material right now.

[/QUOTE]

Great way to not opine on this.  What if BOTH on the field and active?  You have an opinion?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess to answer your question, I have Graham and Gonzalez both ahead of Gronk. No tight end has ever been as clutch as Gonzalez has been, you can't argue that !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What say you all?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great way to not opine on this.  What if BOTH on the field and active?  You have an opinion?

[/QUOTE]

That is an opinion. Your question is hypothetical. On a pragmatic level, Graham may ultimately not be the best TE in the league, but between him and Gronk, he is the much much better TE right now because he is making his team better. Gronk is not.

Also, the Gronk that eventually plays for NE may ultimately be not the Gronk that you remember him to be. A rash of injuries tend to mess with players' minds. Even before his injuries, he played differently right after being hit hard; and they were hits that did not result in injuries. How will he be after coming back from injuries that resulted from actual game contact?This is potentially another reason why your hypothetical question is immaterial.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess to answer your question, I have Graham and Gonzalez both ahead of Gronk. No tight end has ever been as clutch as Gonzalez has been, you can't argue that !

[/QUOTE]

You are thinking "historically".. I was opining on active without regard to historical ratings.  I do agree, Gronk and Graham have a long way to go to get to the level Gonzalez has achieved in his career.  3 years do not make GoaT yet!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gronk has been clearly superior to either of them when healthy. No contest.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Actually I'm quite serious..Before his injury Gronk was unstopable..period. He could not be covered, could not be blocked and changed the outcome of games. His superior blocking makes it a no brainer. Yes, he's that good."

Depends on how much you factor in durability. I agree with you in theory, definitey Gronk is better, and it's not close. But, he can't seem to get on the field and stay on. Reports right now don't give you confidence this stuff is behind him. 

Man I hope it is though

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Guy actually playing is better.  Gronkowski is no better than me, if he's sitting.  And I'm cheaper.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

Gronkowskii could be better if his dad ever let's him play again. Makes me wonder what his teammates think. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to thefly8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gronkowskii could be better if his dad ever let's him play again. Makes me wonder what his teammates think. 

[/QUOTE]

Yep, never good when the family starts getting involved. This just might start getting ugly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I always liked Gronk because he played hard and partied harder, but this season...Graham and Gonzo surpassed him as my fave TEs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Whenever Gronk returns, if he plays gunshy like he didlast year, Graham will be better by a big margin.  Gronk of old, before injuries, would be the top dog.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

Sections
Shortcuts