Learn the game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Learn the game.

Some of you are now on the watch because Talib was stupidly signed for big bucks by the buffoon from Denver. You are the last person anybody with smarts should want in a draft room or around the phones for free agency.

I'm celebrating Elway's stupidity. If he wants to roll the dice while hitting his cap that hard, that's good for us. The only better outcome for us would have been retaining Talib for 3 years at 4 mil per.

Free agency is mostly a sucker's game. You are surely going to be paying market value for guys that are either looking for a big payday after a rookie contract or longtime vets looking for that last money grab as they age. That's the sucker zone.

The only FA waters a smart GM should swim in is either low cost bargain guys that you are very sure will emerge or top tier performers exiting the rookie contract that love the game without question. And those are still extremely risky. What Elway did, or what somebody might do with Edelman is exactly what you shouldn't do. The chances of such desperate moves working out are very slim.

Drafting is so close to everything in team building that you might as well call it everything. Every draft pick in the first 3 rounds is precious beyond description when you are talking team build. Every possible avenue must be explored to identify can't miss draftees. We don't do that. We (read BB) rely FAR too much on the opinions of friends and bizarre hunches to do well enough in the draft long term, and demand some arcane insistence that they fit some mythical system as well. These picks are crucial especially because of their relatively low cost and the desire of the player to get that payday. And you absolutely want nearly immediate impact. Projects are for suckers.

Your best values in the draft are found from about picks 12 to 38 based on what it costs to acquire them and what it costs to sign players picked then. Efforts to shift picks and acquire them in this range should be vigorous within the confines of shrewd dealing.

And, above all, both in free agency and the draft, DURABILITY is a must. Acquiring people who can't stay on the field is the deed of idiots.

So, I wouldn't be too worried about the loss of china doll Talib. I would be worried about the draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Learn the game.

While i agree with you as to Talib's actual worth and Elway's over spending! Hopefully after they sign Ware the league will look into the actual cap space these guys have. At any rate tomorrow is another day and like I said previously I'll be surprised if the Patriots do much of anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

When you look back to prior years and realize had the Pats made a couple really solid moves in FA they could have had a couple more lombardi trophies.  It makes days like this pretty frustrating, especially when you know low risk/high reward players are on the way.  You build through the draft but you use FA to fill some holes.  Holes could have been filled today, with some very solid players.  Difference makers.  When you get beat by more talented teams, especially in the playoffs it's a wasted seasons. 

You have to wonder... Why weren't the Pats talking with Edelman and Talib prior to today?  Why did they just recently ask Mankins to see if he would restructure his contract?  Wilfork still getting $11 million?  A. Wilson still on the team, so is Sopoaga.  Why?  Why weren't these things handled sooner? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Babe, agree with several of your points; disagree on others but the overall message that Denver appears to have overpaid for Talib is pretty much the way I see it.  Don't know the details of the deal but we will soon enough.

bozo, we will see.

TFB12, lots of assumptions in your post - lots.  Your second paragraph in particular is really quite a puzzle.  It's been well documented that the Pats had been talking to both Talib and Edelman for days if not weeks.  The Wilfork contract re-work is no simple matter and has been ongoing for quite some time.  And why is your timetable so aggressive?  What happens if these things don't fall into place the way you want them to?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

When you look back to prior years and realize had the Pats made a couple really solid moves in FA they could have had a couple more lombardi trophies.  It makes days like this pretty frustrating, especially when you know low risk/high reward players are on the way.  You build through the draft but you use FA to fill some holes.  Holes could have been filled today, with some very solid players.  Difference makers.  When you get beat by more talented teams, especially in the playoffs it's a wasted seasons. 

You have to wonder... Why weren't the Pats talking with Edelman and Talib prior to today?  Why did they just recently ask Mankins to see if he would restructure his contract?  Wilfork still getting $11 million?  A. Wilson still on the team, so is Sopoaga.  Why?  Why weren't these things handled sooner? 

Okay genuis your the GM and your job is to fill the holes. So what holes are you going to fill and who would you select in this FA period to fill them and how much money would each signing take. BTW good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to fourjays30's comment:

Okay genuis your the GM and your job is to fill the holes. So what holes are you going to fill and who would you select in this FA period to fill them and how much money would each signing take. BTW good luck!

Good luck getting that one answered with any kind of coherent response. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The Pats were under the CAP and were under no pressure to cut or restructure anyone.

I'm sure they knew from the get go that they would not retain Talib. It's the auction mentality and you can't get sucked into it by bidding up just to simply win the bid instead of winning the bid at the right price.

Talib has got to show that his hip is solid. Me, I play the odds, I'll say he's injured again and it will be the hip again.

Endelman is a multi-tool, great to have in your pocket, but he had 3? concussions in 12? He stayed healthy in 13 but he's a converted QB. Would love to keep him but at the end of the day if others are willing to pay Cadillac prices for a Chevy then there ain't much you can do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

The Pats were under the CAP and were under no pressure to cut or restructure anyone.

I'm sure they knew from the get go that they would not retain Talib. It's the auction mentality and you can't get sucked into it by bidding up just to simply win the bid instead of winning the bid at the right price.

Talib has got to show that his hip is solid. Me, I play the odds, I'll say he's injured again and it will be the hip again.

Endelman is a multi-tool, great to have in your pocket, but he had 3? concussions in 12? He stayed healthy in 13 but he's a converted QB. Would love to keep him but at the end of the day if others are willing to pay Cadillac prices for a Chevy then there ain't much you can do.

So you do nothing ? Who replaces the players that are getting signed by other teams that are better then Talib and IF Edelman leaves 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I'm celebrating Elway's stupidity. If he wants to roll the dice while hitting his cap that hard, that's good for us. The only better outcome for us would have been retaining Talib for 3 years at 4 mil per.

And, above all, both in free agency and the draft, DURABILITY is a must. Acquiring people who can't stay on the field is the deed of idiots.

Considering BB brought in China Doll 1 and China Doll 2 - Amendola and Talib in the 1st place means BB is an idiot.  I'm not sure what to make of Gronkowski either since his yearly injury situation is now pretty predictable.   

Elway is just trying to cover what they missed most from last year since the Broncos only have a small window left with Manning very similar to the Patriots and Brady.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

Considering BB brought in China Doll 1 and China Doll 2 - Amendola and Talib in the 1st place means BB is an idiot.  I'm not sure what to make of Gronkowski either since his yearly injury situation is now pretty predictable.   

Elway is just trying to cover what they missed most from last year since the Broncos only have a small window left with Manning very similar to the Patriots and Brady. 

BB is an idiot - now that pretty much sums it up right there.  Really? And I'll be checking this thread periodically to see if anyone actually has the wherewithall to respond to fourjay's question above.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

So you do nothing ? Who replaces the players that are getting signed by other teams that are better then Talib and IF Edelman leaves 

Well, look at it this way. There are still many FA out there that could come in and help. Remember, the Pats don't need rebuilding....they need a few more pieces of the puzzle.

Plus there will be many more reductions. cuts and trades before Sept. I am interested in the TEAM that takes the field in Sept and not March.

We have several young WR on the roster, I want to see them play and develop.

Endelman ain't gone yet.

We have several young DB's on the team, I want to see them play and develop.

Ware is out there, Smith is out there, Melton is out there. The draft is deep in the DL.

Let's allow the process to play itself out, as some have said, it's chess versus checkers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Well, look at it this way. There are still many FA out there that could come in and help. Remember, the Pats don't need rebuilding....they need a few more pieces of the puzzle.

Plus there will be many more reductions. cuts and trades before Sept. I am interested in the TEAM that takes the field in Sept and not March.

Endelman ain't gone yet.

Ware is out there, Smith is out there, Melton is out there. The draft is deep in the DL.

Let's allow the process to play itself out, as some have said, it's chess versus checkers.

You, sir, are entirely too rational for this forum, particularly at this time of year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wilforkfitinham. Show Wilforkfitinham's posts

I don't know to me it seems like Denver knows Peyton's age and the fact he is one big hit from game over means Elway could be doing the smart thing and loading up for the man before he rides off into the sunset.

I will still be patient here over the next week or so but if we do not make any moves and Soap/Wilson are still on our roster I will be a tiny bit disappointed but NE always manages to be in it at the end. No worries, just would love to see some talent land here thats not over the age of 35.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Endelman ain't gone yet.

You, sir, are entirely too rational for this forum, particularly at this time of year.

Plus1 the whole team is a futures market fo pitting inyoto a Rubik's Cube, Thefirst wave of FAs are almost always over valued a nd BB never bites

If Bb had chased rainbows , you never know how it would have effected the Rubik's Cube?

and we had AS an all pro and WW an all Pro drop passes to lose a SB and we lost one year with TBs injury

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Babe - I almost agree, but here's the problem. The major difference between the Patriots and what Seattle did in the SB, and to a lesser extent what happened in the AFC championship game, shows the difference in the talent levels at skill positions between the teams. Yes, I know the Pats had a bunch of injuries and will get some talent back from the IR (little worried about Vince - that's a very big man on a very bum wheel, and Mayo's injury is one that has a tendency to re-occur - see Orakpo wt al). But the real issue is who's our matchup CB now? Dennard? Ryan? Who's our No. 1 WR?

We, like Denver, have a HOF QB on the downside of his career. We have 1, maybe 2 years left. Then it's back to the dark ages. To quote Mora...."Playoffs? Playoffs?" Those that doubt we won't see a significant decline when TB retires have to "learn the game."  Very few SB's have been won without a top-notch QB. Whose taking our snaps in 2016? A nearly 40 Brady?

If Kraft and BB want to waste TB's last remaining years with an assortment of "B level" talent, so be it. Most fans also have a tendency to over-rate the talent level on the Patriots. It's not close to Seattle's right now, Denver's just got better and NE's just got worse. So yeah, I'd like to see another championship, cause I believe it might very well be some time before we have another chance at a title after Brady leaves.

Can't wait for someone to yell "Cassell!" BB is 51-61 without a QB named Brady, including the outlier of 2008.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I guess I should be more clear about the bottom line. I guss I thought it would be apparent.

The damage is already done. Mediocre drafting has left the team full of holes currently filled with mediocrity. You can't fix this many issues of this magnitude with free agency.

Every mediocre or bad pick you make only makes the future picks even more crucial. Then when those future picks are more of the same the snowball effect eventually places you at the brink of disaster.

We just saw a team get spanked in the AFCCG by a team that got bludgeoned in the SB. A shocking and imminent decline is a very good possibility because of the long long lists of mistakes. We may be looking at a house of cards here which only looked more solid because the AFC is relatively weak.

Look at the DBs and WRs drafted over the years. Out of all those picks who can you say is really good? Maybe McCourty. That's it? That is pathetic. Since 2005 we have drafted 13 players as DBs or WRs in the high rounds and what do we have to show for it? McCourty?

You just can't do this sort of thing for so long and remain viable. Even a great coach and a great QB can't compensate for that much error forever. It will catch up with you.

If Brady really does decline into just another guy, with what BB has put around him, I can see a team struggling to hang at .500. It's that bad.

I think the 2004 Pats would wipe the floor with this team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Endelman ain't gone yet.

The problem with that statement is there aren't many good starting players left and those that are will be gone sooner rather than later. Listen I wasn't one for wanting Talib back because of injury but you can't tell me we shouldn't have be in on Verner. Looking over the FA's anyone left is a downgrade and do you honestly want to see Arrington on the outside?

As for the secondary market, that's the biggest myth out there. The secondary market is full of players no other teams want and cut last minute, not to save cap mind you but because they just don't perform anymore. And cap cuts happen this and last week. Name me the last player we got who made an impact or even became a starter in the secondary market.

None of us were crying to spend wildly but look at the SSs, DTs, and Cbs that went yesterday and tell me most didn't go for reasonable deals.

Btw, Edelman is a lateral move that might be going backwards as there is a hgher chance he gets injured than stays healthy like last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Lol!  Man, you are such a baby.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I wouldn't select any of the free agents available right now. I would wait and see what happens in the draft. Fill as many holes as I could there then back fill with what ever free agents are available then. Don't forget, I've built this team so elite players are not needed for this team to be successful. Matter of fact I still can't believe we didn't make the playoffs when I had a QB that hadn't started a regular season game since highschool. We should have made it that year but sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way. 

In the draft I would probably go DT if one is available when I pick in the first round. Then OG/C . We already have a decent defensive backfield but we could use another SS so that would be my third pick. 

I don't think we need any more receivers since last years crop of rookies performed well and should be much more productive this year. But incase there are any problems I'd go free agent slot receiver if a decent one was available around the start of training camp.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Endelman ain't gone yet.

The problem with that statement is there aren't many good starting players left and those that are will be gone sooner rather than later. Listen I wasn't one for wanting Talib back because of injury but you can't tell me we shouldn't have be in on Verner. Looking over the FA's anyone left is a downgrade and do you honestly want to see Arrington on the outside?

As for the secondary market, that's the biggest myth out there. The secondary market is full of players no other teams want and cut last minute, not to save cap mind you but because they just don't perform anymore. And cap cuts happen this and last week. Name me the last player we got who made an impact or even became a starter in the secondary market.

None of us were crying to spend wildly but look at the SSs, DTs, and Cbs that went yesterday and tell me most didn't go for reasonable deals.

Btw, Edelman is a lateral move that might be going backwards as there is a hgher chance he gets injured than stays healthy like last year.

Actually most of you were calling for the Pats to spend wildly. Spending wildly is the only way to sign players on the first few days of free agency!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Actually most of you were calling for the Pats to spend wildly. Spending wildly is the only way to sign players on the first few days of free agency!

Please point that out rtuinila where I said that. I'd be happy to see it. it's funny though I ask you to point these claims you make out and you never respond afterwards. I wanted 2-3 players on that list were A. Jones, Verner, Joseph, Whitner di any of them get overpaid or were they all reasonable deals? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Please point that out rtuinila where I said that. I'd be happy to see it. it's funny though I ask you to point these claims you make out and you never respond afterwards. I wanted 2-3 players on that list were A. Jones, Verner, Joseph, Whitner di any of them get overpaid or were they all reasonable deals? 

Eng, your temper tantrum is embarassing my 3 year old daughter.  Pull it together.  Time to put on your big-boy pants.  NE is going to be a contender in 2014 whether they sign big names to big money or not.  Denver's moves look great, but they still have that choke artist at QB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Endelman ain't gone yet.

Leigh Bodden started for them and was excellent.

Mike Vrabel started for them and was excellent.

They resigned TBC after being away and he started and had an excellent year for them that season.

This is not to say I disagree with your general point of it not being easy to find players who were cut elswhere but fit your system well and make good starters for you.

I personally don't care about Talib leaving. Not that I thought he was bad but I would never be able to stomach giving a player huge money who bails out of the biggest games for injuries that don't even end up requiring off season surgeries.

I also hope the Pats never change their philospohy of not chasing after a team who has decided to go all in for 1 season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Leigh Bodden started for them and was excellent.

Mike Vrabel started for them and was excellent.

They resigned TBC after being away and he started and had an excellent year for them that season.

This is not to say I disagree with your general point of it not being easy to find players who were cut elswhere but fit your system well and make good starters for you.

I personally don't care about Talib leaving. Not that I thought he was bad but I would never be able to stomach giving a player huge money who bails out of the biggest games for injuries that don't even end up requiring off season surgeries.

I also hope the Pats never change their philospohy of not chasing after a team who has decided to go all in for 1 season.

Low -

Bodden was cut from the team a year after signing his deal. He had 1 good year and then nothing.

You had to go back to Vrable to find a player. Over a decades worth of FA's and Vrable was the one player you picked out that made a difference and lasted more than a year. Doesn't that strike you as odd that you need to go back over a decade to find a player who make an impact and did so for longer than a single season?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I wouldn't select any of the free agents available right now. I would wait and see what happens in the draft. Fill as many holes as I could there then back fill with what ever free agents are available then. Don't forget, I've built this team so elite players are not needed for this team to be successful. Matter of fact I still can't believe we didn't make the playoffs when I had a QB that hadn't started a regular season game since highschool. We should have made it that year but sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way. 

In the draft I would probably go DT if one is available when I pick in the first round. Then OG/C . We already have a decent defensive backfield but we could use another SS so that would be my third pick. 

I don't think we need any more receivers since last years crop of rookies performed well and should be much more productive this year. But incase there are any problems I'd go free agent slot receiver if a decent one was available around the start of training camp.

This is precisely the formula for not getting quality free agents. Wait and see.

with one of the youngest teams in the nfl, a few quality FAs is just what the doctor ordered. 

Waiting til the draft is putting your eggs in 1 basket. If you don't fill your team via the draft, all the decent Fs will be long gone. 

If we lose Edelman, we are starting the draft down 2 key components from last year. I don't think this is the way to build a championship team. 

I am not saying spend wildly. Just replace what you lost with quality, experienced players. And use the draft and fa in a complimentary way.

Sections
Shortcuts