Least upsetting playoff loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Least upsetting playoff loss

Almost recovered, gotten the disapointment out of my system from this loss which is remarkable because in some ways still smarting to this day from 2007 SB and the loss to the Colts 2006, Jets in 2010, Ravens a couple times and of course last SB.

Guess it is due to this team exceeding my expectations.

I do think they were a better team than Denver in most all but perfect weather conditions. Alas, the conditions were perfect for Peyton and the passing offense so Denver had the edge. Not that our Pats couldn't have made a bunch of plays and won but this game, in these conditions, but  that would realistically happen about 4 out of 10 times IMO...

Legitmate points have been made about how it could have been coached or played better but that is the random factor and human judgement factor that makes games unpredictable. No one here knows what a different strategy would have brought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: Least upsetting playoff loss

Denver just set a record for most points scored in a season; they we're playing at home; all year the Patriots had lived on the edge.  Surprise, surprise--they lost.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigMustache. Show BigMustache's posts

The loss clearly was at the hand of Brady.  Another choke job in big games!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

This was a least upsetting loss as opposed to me now opening some wounds. 

In our 16-0 season in 2008 SB we're up 14-10 vs NY in closing minutes and Asante Samuel ala Bill Buckner lets an interception go through his hands.

Then in 2012 vs the hated Giants again we lose 21-17 and Wes Welker drops a pass he'd make 95% of the time. And then after that drop, Mario Manningham makes an unbelievable catch with 2 defenders on him and stays in bounds too.

So, these 2 losses hurt more. Is the hate for Peyton also because brother Eli beat us twice. My opinion, despite our offense and Brady not excelling is that we lost to the Broncos because Peyton could have worn a white dinner jacket & not have a mark on it, no sacks, no hurries & no pressure to toss up a pick. Having all day to throw he is deadly and I believe BB should have called up more blitzes even if we got burned. The man set all kinds of offensive records this year and the making of frequent 3rd downs gave them 10 more minutes. Brady being behind was pressured as they knew we needed to pass. In both of the Giant losses, I felt we could have won but vs the Broncos, we were outplayed. Before the game "yes" but during the game did anyone really think we should have won.

By the way I don't like the Giants either because in the NFC title game in 2012 vs SF, the 49ers were ahead and kickoff fumble led to a tying field goal & then another fumble the field goal in OT.  It was Alex Smith who had them ahead as opposed to Kap vs Ravens in the SB with a 1st down at the 5 yard line missing 4 passes and then vs Seahawks on 18 yd line with a 1st down and 3 time outs and 1:25 on the clock he tosses an Alley-Opps in the direction of 6'6" Sherman... stupid...toss it long so it goes out of bound if Crabtree doesn't catch it. Why Kap didn't run with 4 downs at the 5 vs Ravens...dunno and vs Seahawks at least run once from the 18 yard line. The Hail Mary pass on the 1st down was something you try on 4th down. So being a 49er fan too, I doubly suffered with the Pats' loss too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Anyone recall how BB has failed to replace Willie Mac, Rodney Harrison, and Ty Law with players who are as good as them in the playoffs. Remember when this defense used to make big plays in the playoffs? Also, if Brady is so bad why hasn't BB  drafted a competent QB to replace him?

Still believe this team is very young and an AFCCG appearance is nothing to quibble about when you lose your two best defensive players and two best offensive weapons.

It was twenty years ago today Sgt. Kraft the band to play. Deal in the works to buy the Pats consummated in Feb, when approved by the NFL.  Things could be worse Orthwein moving team to St. Louis being worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to BigMustache's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
     Choke? The Pats exceeded expectations considering the loss of key players, inept young rookie receivers, patchwork defense etc. I'll never understand why critics pit quarterbacks instead of team personnel. Granted the quarterback is the nucleus but one must have complementary pieces and big-time players to overcome SB odds. While the loss to Denver hurts I'm especially proud of what they accomplished against so much adversity!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Agree least upsetting play off lost. Wish it had been more of a game on the Pats side. This was a wild season with the most season ending injuries to key players I can remember for at least the last 20 years. And of course never had a situation like AH.

2007 SB loss will always haunt and hurt. The worse.

Here's to next year!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Agreed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to darwk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree least upsetting play off lost. Wish it had been more of a game on the Pats side. This was a wild season with the most season ending injuries to key players I can remember for at least the last 20 years. And of course never had a situation like AH.

Here's to next year!

[/QUOTE]

Any SB loss will usually always be worse than any other. 

Worst: '07

2nd: '11

3rd: '96 

4th: '06 AFCCG (because that was the SB that year)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Start of this season, many had Miami winning the division, and that was BEFORE the injuries hit.

Since that time, this team lost only four games, three of them in heartbreaking, close fashion.  The loss to Cincy was their biggest of the season, and that was by what, 10?

In as much as this team "got hot" at the right time, especially the defense, we lost five critical players to bigtime inhuries.  All were sustained on plays that required the player to go "above and beyond" his normal role.  

Any other team in this league, any other team, would have posted a sub .500 season.  There is so much to love about this team and, to a large extent, its future.  I posted yesterday that a healthy Gronkowski would've ended most of the negative threads.  Seriously, a healthy Gronk would've given the Pats homefield throughout; they would've beaten Miami with Gronk.  I'm not guaranteeing they could've beaten the Broncos at home, but the Pats would've likely competed a lot better.  And let's be honest; Denver was not going to stop Gronk home or away.  He's much too much for them or any other team in this league.  Turns out the way to stop him is with a questionable hit straight to the knee.  

If you're upset by this team's season, fine.  Be upset.  It sux to get this far and see them play like that.  But stop posting drivel prognostication.  In case you haven't been paying attention for the past decade, this team will be there again next year, with or without Wilfork and Kelly.

They weren't supposed to be here this season in the first place.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to BigMustache's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

34-17 pats going away? Loser dead head.

get a job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

I have to agree. Odd feeling!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Almost recovered, gotten the disapointment out of my system from this loss which is remarkable because in some ways still smarting to this day from 2007 SB and the loss to the Colts 2006, Jets in 2010, Ravens a couple times and of course last SB.

Guess it is due to this team exceeding my expectations.

I do think they were a better team than Denver in most all but perfect weather conditions. Alas, the conditions were perfect for Peyton and the passing offense so Denver had the edge. Not that our Pats couldn't have made a bunch of plays and won but this game, in these conditions, but  that would realistically happen about 4 out of 10 times IMO...

Legitmate points have been made about how it could have been coached or played better but that is the random factor and human judgement factor that makes games unpredictable. No one here knows what a different strategy would have brought.

[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree with you on the least upsetting loss.  There were so many key injuries not to mention the Hernandez thing that really threw a wrench in the works.  The defense just couldn't hold up against that kind of talent.  We did find out that Ryan and Collings can play and the young WRs show promise.  Let's hope BB can build on that.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to darwk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's to next year!

[/QUOTE]

Any SB loss will usually always be worse than any other. 

Worst: '07

2nd: '11

3rd: '96 

4th: '06 AFCCG (because that was the SB that year)

[/QUOTE]

2011 was worse because it could have atoned for 2007.  2007 was an off day for the offense, badly, but that can happen. 2011's was a brutal because Brady literally threw it away with chance after chance to ice it.  

The D was brilliant holding to the 2 FGs in the second half like that, just waiting for one drive and even just a FG in the 4th.

The INT and then the high throw/drop. Those are your best players, right there, letting everyone down.

Pats handed away two rings to the Giants, but the second one was worse.

[/QUOTE]

34-17 pats going away? Why would you be upset.  What a joke.

thanks defense and BB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This year for me was Belichicks best coaching performance.

I would like to see him stock up and surround Brady with weapons.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This was the least painful playoff loss too me, I just didn't think they were a very good team, I thought they were seriously flawed and held together with duct tape. I didn't get all excited watching them win the AFC east - the division is a joke - and I didn't get all excited watching them beat teams in December that were thinking about their off season plans.

I wasn't surprised they beat the Colts, the defense only had to worry about a 5'7" receiver to stop...no running game and very few weapons. I thought the colts could pass rush, but we pounded their small front in the cold. I think these generally are the types of teams you face before the AFC Championship game (Denver 2012, Houston 2013, Indy2014)...beatable teams when you are at home with Belichick and Brady. The next step/class is where I think we don't fit in.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

this loss seems to hurt me more as the time goes by.... and its not because of the team its because of the window which is rapidly closing and the opportunites that are being squandered with this so-called goat QB and GM/HC.

and i dont just blame Brady or just BB because its on both of them.

BB even said in his postgame that he was outcoached Sunday. which is sad to see. Brady wasn't Tom terrific either. he was merely average or solid which also isnt good enough to win.

for some reason BB, to me, seems really disappointed in Tom AND in himself after this one. i dont know why but i think we will see some changes. nothing crazy huge but I think enough to where the talent and god forbid health is enough to get us over the hump.

we are almost there. I think an upgrade at S in needed, a SS actually. OL & DL need depth. but I also think Brady can use a deep threat. Dobson is good but another big man will help open up the other targets (DA and Edelman). Everyone says its a passing league now but  then people say we won SBs with Patten, Branch and Givens which is true but the league has changed and we neeed just one more weapon imo. maybe we already have it in Boyce. we need one more guy to step up.

all i know is, that wont matter unless Tom and BB find a way to bring it to the table in the big game. I used to back up TOm as the goat to my grave and now I need more prove it to me evidence to make that claim. he just hasnt been big enough at times.

and BB as the GM needs improvement too. finding WRs is that. thats all. just one or two more weapons for TB. BB has a great D in place barring any health issues again .

so yes this loss still stings to me, because it was PM and WW mostly and becuase this is THREE straight years being at the door step to a 4th and i feel like the window is being squandered

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Start of this season, many had Miami winning the division, and that was BEFORE the injuries hit.

Since that time, this team lost only four games, three of them in heartbreaking, close fashion.  The loss to Cincy was their biggest of the season, and that was by what, 10?

In as much as this team "got hot" at the right time, especially the defense, we lost five critical players to bigtime inhuries.  All were sustained on plays that required the player to go "above and beyond" his normal role.  

Any other team in this league, any other team, would have posted a sub .500 season.  There is so much to love about this team and, to a large extent, its future.  I posted yesterday that a healthy Gronkowski would've ended most of the negative threads.  Seriously, a healthy Gronk would've given the Pats homefield throughout; they would've beaten Miami with Gronk.  I'm not guaranteeing they could've beaten the Broncos at home, but the Pats would've likely competed a lot better.  And let's be honest; Denver was not going to stop Gronk home or away.  He's much too much for them or any other team in this league.  Turns out the way to stop him is with a questionable hit straight to the knee.  

If you're upset by this team's season, fine.  Be upset.  It sux to get this far and see them play like that.  But stop posting drivel prognostication.  In case you haven't been paying attention for the past decade, this team will be there again next year, with or without Wilfork and Kelly.

They weren't supposed to be here this season in the first place.  

[/QUOTE]

That post sums it up perfectly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

'Least upsetting playoff loss'

Totally agree with your statement...  They 'completely' exceeded all my expectations under the circumstances...

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts