Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!

In Response to Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!:
    He did give Heap a cheap shot, but Meriweather and Chung brought some wood to the game. They gave the Raven's wideouts some very hard shots. I actually like the hard hits. The next time the Ravens them they will be respected.
    Posted by FLY2K

100% agreed. The helmet hit was a thuggish play, and he should be fined heavily. But the aggressive tone he set on the clean hits was something this team has been missing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

That hit altough an illegal hit he should certainly be fined for, changed the tone of the game.  The Pats have been playing soft defense and are ranked last or close to in all defensive categories.  They needed something to fire them up and get them to play smash mouth physical ball and that may very well have been just the catalyst we needed. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Meriweather dishes out some monster shots, and I like that he's trying to set the tone.  But he needs to pick his spots, he can't blow someone up on every tackle and he tries to do so to the detriment of the team at times.  I think it was a cheap shot on Heap, but if Rodney Harrison did it we'd all say "that's Rodney" and live with it because we know that 99% of the time Rodney was gonna make a huge play or prevent a TD.  Meriweather hasn't built up that good will, and people tend to remember the penalties and missed tackles rather than the bone-jarring shots or tackles for loss that he delivers.

Tell you what, eventually Meriweather will need to figure it out and if he does, lucky us.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Wilfork said this morning that the Merriweather hit was the turning point of the game. He said after that hit, the defense realized that someone came out to play a physical game of football.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The second hit he laid and got penalized for was a clean play, the first one was helmet to helmet but I don't even believe that was intentional, the receiver was twisting in midair and came down on the crown of his helmet. 

The 2nd hit was garbage, there is no penalty in football for hitting hard with your shoulder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotway1. Show patriotway1's posts

This goes almost to the Hockey game style of play where you have to have an enforcer on your team to set the tone and pick you up when your getting beat.
    BB needs to let Merriweather now figure himself out and find his place, let him use his frustration and turn it into a positive chanel in his game.
    If your an aggressive player your going to have a share of illegal style hits, that doesnt mean intentional. I think this is a good fit for Merriweather, just guide him and let him lose.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Jack Tatum's head hunting caused Daryl Stingley to be paralyzed for life. I thought that was a cheap shot then and I think that Meriweather has got to learn the difference between playing hard and playing dirty. There is a difference between playing hard, aggressive football and cheap-shotting wide receivers and I don't think we should glorify the latter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!:
    How was it a cheap shot? Heap had the ball in his hands didnt he? Or he was pretty close, close enough that Meri was trying keep him from making a catch so it was not dirty, it was flagged because it was helmet to helmet but i wouldnt call it dirty. And i love the way he plays, some people will knock him but i like his risk taking and i like that he is not a "nice guy" out there.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Me too. I like what I am seeing from Chung and Merriweather. They are bringing a physicality back to our D. They are telling some of these receivers that they may not want to stretch for a ball so much cuz they may get Rodneyed! Keep hitting em hard Brandon....

P.S I bet BB gave Merriweather a "Good Job Kid" after the camera's were off...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : Me too. I like what I am seeing from Chung and Merriweather. They are bringing a physicality back to our D. They are telling some of these receivers that they may not want to stretch for a ball so much cuz they may get Rodneyed! Keep hitting em hard Brandon.... P.S I bet BB gave Merriweather a "Good Job Kid" after the camera's were off...
    Posted by TrueChamp

I couldn't agree with you more... when the Steelers or Ravens light someone up they get applauded, because their identity as a "hard hitting defense" is accepted... but when Meriweather sends the message to a Tight End that the middle of the field belongs to safeties... everyone bashes him and calls it a dirty hit.

Yers, it is a personal foul, and a 15 yard penalty... but it's always been a part of football, just ask Don Beebe what Monday morning feels like, when you go up after a ball across the middle. 

Here's a little reminder of why to stick to the sidelines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RcIJ2rLMUQ&feature=related

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

The problem was that Meriweather lower his head and launch head first into Heap who was coming down looking the other way for the football.  Meriweather needs to keep his head and vision up and launch his shoulder into Heap, he can do that as hard as he wants, and it would be legal as far as the rule is concerned.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from VAPATRIOT. Show VAPATRIOT's posts

I love his aggressiveness, and I don't believe he intended to deliver a cheap shot! Football is a fast and violent sport, sometimes a helmet will hit another helmet, just as a hand will find its way to a facemask when you are traveling at the speed of light. Meriweather and Chung sent a strong message to ALL receivers in the league yesterday, if you attempt to catch a pass in the heart of our D, you WILL be punished!!! I guarantee you every receiver (including Moss), will give good thought to that consequence whenever a football floats over middle of the defense! Yes, Rodney was a killer, but my man Brandon "Stretcher" Meriweather is true KILLAAAAAAA! Keep doing what you do bruh!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Jack Tatum's head hunting caused Daryl Stingley to be paralyzed for life. I thought that was a cheap shot then and I think that Meriweather has got to learn the difference between playing hard and playing dirty. There is a difference between playing hard, aggressive football and cheap-shotting wide receivers and I don't think we should glorify the latter.
    Posted by trouts

When you pull your tampon out call us and tell us how you really feel!

I have Helmets from my days playing and the more colors you had you prouder you were....

We may not have thought about what could of happend BUT the point is....... In all my years i have put on thousand of hits.

In and NFL players life span he may hit someone over 1 million times

there are 32 teams with 53 PLUS 8 practice squad players.

that is 61 x 32 = 1952 players

An average NFL players PLAYS 3 years (yes this is a fact)

In the past twenty years only THREE people have been paralized in the professional game.

1952 x 20 = 39,040 thousand (1 million/3) 333,333 thousand x 39,040
    =13,013,333,333/3

that is pretty OVER WHELMING ODDS

This is a non issue

KEEP STICKING MERRIWHETHRE!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

For arguments sake, if Bob Sanders hit Wes Welker the same way that Meriwether hit Heap, everyone would be calling for Sanders to be suspended for a game.     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

The issue isn't the HIT.  The hit was fine.  It was the CONTACT.  The helmet to helmet part of the contact specifically.  He needs to be careful NOT to go helmet to helmet.  He wouldn't have been flagged for a MONSTER hit directly in the guys chest.  It wasn't as much his attempt to hit dirty as just the guy leaping after he was already launching the thing.  It happens.  I liked his aggressiveness.  I'm WAY tired of the Patriot "Trail and Tackle" Defense of the last few years.  Make guys pay.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

James Harrison does this:

and NO FLAGS on either play! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

I didn't think the shot on Heap looked all that bad personally. It looked like Meriweather was jumping up to hit a taller player and Heap happened to tuck his head down al ittle at the same time.

What the NFL needs to realize is that there are players of all different heights. How can a guy who's <6' not be 'leading iwth his helmet' hitting a taller player?  A player by definition os going to bend down a little to get leverage from his legs.

Taller players do the EXACT SAME THING all the time except their extra height means their helmets go over the shorter players. Watch a tightend catch a ball and then put his head down to drive through the defensive backs... it's very easy to see.

The NFL has chosen to ignore that though.  If the NFL was being fair then it should call 'leading with the helmet' throughout the game , even on plays where someone doesn't wind up injured or the helmet doesn't make contact. As it is they are essentially calling it mostly on shorter players and only on plays that make the highlight reels cause someone went down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Yea but that is the way it goes Marc, when its your team doing the hitting you like it but when its your WR getting hit you dont like it. That is how fandom works lol
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

100% agree.  Fans see things the way they want to see things.  And, this is why I couldn't be a ref.  My feelings wouls too easily get in the way.  If I saw someone rip Philip Rivers head off and stomp on it, I would see it as a clean play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I've got no problem with hard hits, but what if fear is someone taking a cheap shot at Brady or Welker in retaliation for our "thug" safety play.
    Posted by manowar333

You can pretty much count on that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yeah well screw all you.  It was a d*ck move by Fairyweather and I hope he gets suspended so we don't have to put up with him for a few weeks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2iGzAJIHX8

Here's a video look at the hit again to those who think it wasn't intentional. Note a couple things.

1) Heap was well into the air before Meriweather leaped so Meriweather wasn't already in the process before Heap leaped

2) Meriweather had to come in at an angle and then angled his head towards Heap in order to make the hit. Why is this important? Because his shoulder was already in positions to make a big hit instead he lowered his head towards Heap

3) His arms are loose to the side. If he was going up to make a hard shoulder hit or going for a tackle his arms would be either close to his chest for the hit or ready to wrap up for a tackle

4) Watch his head, he was watching the hit the entire way right before he put his crown on Heap

5) He hits with the crown of the helmet. The place with the most padding for Meriweather. Not only that but it wasn't a glance but a solid strike with the crown. Hard to do that in the air unless you intentionally do it

6) He tried to do it early on the Heap touchdown but failed. Once is an accident but twice shows intent

Mighty can attest I defended Meriweather all off-season but after this, I don't want a guy who is willing to paralyse another player so readily on my team

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One interesting thing that I forgot to note look at Spikes and Nin's reaction after the play. Both of them knew it was a cheap shot. They threw up their arms in a what are you doing manner

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

helmet to helmet hits are a part of the game and the players know they are all one injury away from retiring, it wasnt a cheap shot at all he was trying to make a play and he got flagged and will get fined for it, game over, issue over. every player knows the risk they take when they lace them up, stop crying. and nobody wants to see anybody get hurt on the field but its football and it happens. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

5) He hits with the crown of the helmet. The place with the most padding for Meriweather. Not only that but it wasn't a glance but a solid strike with the crown. Hard to do that in the air unless you intentionally do it

so he is running full speed and leaps in the air trying to make a play and he had it all timed out in the split seconds the players have to react to a play and just nail him right in the helmet intentionally? get real dude, the games fast, im sure he wanted to drill him but not intentionally in the head.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Pull out the tampon? dude, you need to really get a grasp on how many times 1,000,000 really is... even if a guy played 10 years, to hit someone 1,000,000 times, he'd have to hit someone once every 6 minutes, every hour of every day of the year for 10 years solid... 24/7 every 6 minutes... so, after hitting someone in the head at 2:43 AM on a Thursday morning, he'd get to do it again at 2:49 AM, then again at 2:55 AM, next would be 3:01 AM... every day for 10 years...  Get a clue before you start trying to be a mathmetician.

YES, i am completely aware of what a million hits is and the fact that you can not see a player making a million hits in a career (POP warner, Jr. High, High School, College, Pros) is freaking AMAZING.

Bottom line is statistically

the odds of a "Stingley" incident occuring again is 75 million to 1!

the facts support that

Matter of fact I suspect a more VIOLENT hit is Butkis KILLING a man on the field by hitting him so hard he had a cardiac arrest on the field.

Not for nothing but the hit Eugene Wilson put on Marvin Harrison in the 2003 AFC championship was just as bad.

Sections
Shortcuts