Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!

In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : TC, IMO, he is a HOFer. My point is that performance wise, there isn't too much separating him from BM skill-wise. Certainly not the chasm that people here depict it as. If BM keeps the same production he has so far in his career, he will likely go to a couple more pro-bowls etcetera. And yeah, RH was awesome. He was so saavy. And a crazy enforcer over the middle. He would also pay fines like this for hits like this once a season. Rodney was a better form tackler. But he was a low safety, not an over the top guy. BM is more like an Ed Reed-light (no one is as good as Ed Reed) who is good at making plays on the ball and man, and better at turning and covering.

Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hope Rodney gets in the Hall, but like many pro bowls he will probably be snubbed. I think BM has a little more natural ability(athleticism) but until he applies himself to learn the other half of the game he will not be near as effective as Rodney. Rodney was probably the smartest defender on our field every game. I see Chung as the perfect Rodney understudy. Like you said BM a little more of a FS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

[QUOTE]50,000 of his dollars will be leaving him alone shortly . . . .
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]
    YearTeamBase SalarySign BonusOther BonusTotal SalaryCap ValuePosition

Meriweather makes about $620,000 a year according to USA Today NFL player salaries.  Minus $200,000 for taxes, Minus $18,000 for his agent, and minus his NFL player lifestyle and cost of living....  I would bet he is really unhappy to fork over more than a game check because of this hit.  It's like you and me not being paid for a month because of a work incident. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A couple of hard hits are all Meriweather has going for him to this point and personally I think they do little in regards to teams shying away from his side of the field.  Rather, they target his side of the field because the likelihood of a completion, missed assignment and/or extra yards due to a missed tackle are pretty good.

I don't think he has a long term future with this team nor do I think BB considers him a big part of the young core moving forward. 

I predict that he's gone before his contract expires at the end of the 2011 season (assuming their is a season).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]Like I said they know what they are getting themselves into when they sign their contracts. It was a dirty hit I am not saying its not im saying if they start throwing guys out of the game for this type of play it will spiral out of control and next thing you know some guys makes a clean hit on the QB and gets thrown out of the game. If they are so worried about helmet to helmet contact why not lose the helmets and stand everyone on the line up? Cause they are slamming heads on every play and study's show that the most brain damage comes from the every day contact just bumping heads day in and day out not from the big nasty hits people sometimes take. Are linemen less important? Do their brains not count? Why cause no one sees there heads getting *banged? So only the star players get protected? This is not how I feel i am just saying if they go too far with this "protect the players" stuff it will ruin the game.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

I brought this up on another post or maybe earlier in this one.  But, you are absolutely right.  There is more head banging going on in the trenches between O-linemen and D-linemen during the entire game than any wide receiver or db will see in a career.  Nobody seems to worried about those guys though.
    Now you going to see guy fined or suspended for perfectly clean hits that may be interpreted by an official as "Devistating" or some other such nonsense. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

O-linemen and D-linemen are sepeated by 1 foot.  They hardly have the momentum for a devastating hit.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE] A couple of hard hits are all Meriweather has going for him to this point and personally I think they do little in regards to teams shying away from his side of the field.  Rather, they target his side of the field because the likelihood of a completion, missed assignment and/or extra yards due to a missed tackle are pretty good. I don't think he has a long term future with this team nor do I think BB considers him a big part of the young core moving forward.  I predict that he's gone before his contract expires at the end of the 2011 season (assuming their is a season).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

-

Hallelujah, you speak the truth.  Trade him to Oakland.  He's a bum.  And a dumb bum at that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : I brought this up on another post or maybe earlier in this one.  But, you are absolutely right.  There is more head banging going on in the trenches between O-linemen and D-linemen during the entire game than any wide receiver or db will see in a career.  Nobody seems to worried about those guys though. Now you going to see guy fined or suspended for perfectly clean hits that may be interpreted by an official as "Devistating" or some other such nonsense. 
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

Bumping helmets is going to happen esp in the trenches but there is a huge difference from when you are prepared for it from a couple feet away to being defenseless in the air and having someone gain momentum and drill you with force. Concussions affect you both short and long term. Something should be done to minimize it from happening.

No one is going to get suspended over incidental contact but when a player looks like they intentional lead with their head towards another players head (IE Harrison and Meriweathers hits) they need to suspend or fine them heavy to make them second guess throwing a hit that could injury both themselves and the other player. There is no way you can't tell me that a hard shoulder hit to Heaps gut driving him to the ground wouldn't have resulted in the same intimidation without the risk of long term damage to 1 or both of them.

It is a safety issue first and fore most and these types of hits can be minimized by making players think twice from leading with their heads first. That doesn't mean you can't have hard hits or have enforcers but it means that dirty hits intentional made to cause injury should be removed from the game.

BTW the league makes calls on suspensions not the refs. I'm sure the league will carefully review incidents before making rash judgements

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Do some research and understand why people called Rodney Harrison dirty before you look so ignorant. Late into the pile, almost every time. Which is kind of laughable, considering how long some refs hold the whistle while the pile moves back or forth an inch or two. At any rate, head hunting was rarely the issue. There is the well publicized one involving Rice, but I challenge anyone to show me evidence of even one more.

In the trenches, as has been stated, they are a foot apart. It's like two semis idling into each other. Meriweather was like a sedan t-boning an suv. Not even a close comparison.

I heard on the radio people talking about ball carriers lowering their head. Are you serious? Ahhh, ball carriers don't seek out a defender, catch him not looking and level him. Ball carriers, unlike defenders, try to avoid contact, or at the least, lessen it...only sometimes trying to deliver it.

No, it wasn't intentional, this was classic Meriweather. He overran the play (shocking) then made a dumb decision to compound the problem.

As for Wilfork's comments...total B S. It was 10-7 Baltimore at the time of the hit. Baltimore then extended to 20-10...yeah, I can absolutely do without that kind of "spark". The offense proceeded to go punt, punt, pick...no help there. Wilfork was trying to be a good captain, and defend a teammate. Furthermore, this is the guy who stuck out an elbow and blew out a knee in Buffalo and blatently tried to poke someone in the eye. Not an entirely reliable source.

Now stay down...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]O-linemen and D-linemen are sepeated by 1 foot.  They hardly have the momentum for a devastating hit.   
    Posted by MarcW1[/QUOTE]
    Yeah but it's done repeatedly every game, all season long by guy 300 lbs. plus.  And they're pretty fast for their size in those short bursts like between 1 to 10 yds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Merriweather came out and laid the wood. That secondary played mean. They defended the secondary. That is the kind of play i want to see from our defense. Now the NFL wants to suspend players for it. Lets just have them start wearing flags.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Why would BB trade Meriweather? He gave Heap a cheap shot, but he is a physical player. He did not trade Vince for some of the dumb things he did. Brandon is maturing. Brandon and Chung is a force when playing together. Players give cheap shots all the time. When the Pats played the Jets and Steelers they creamed Wes. All I'm saying is that Meriweather is not a bad player at all, he was taught by Rodney Harrison.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

As usual, he was the last one to the play- late- and launched himself head first into Heap's helmet. Deliberate. I disagree with Wilfolk that that was a wake up call-- the team was "up" from earlier in the game. Meriweather's overall conduct, from last season, right on up thru pre-season, until the present, has been filled with, not doing it the BB way, immaturity, missed assignments, out of position, and taking plays off on occasion. He is not a team player, and never has been, and I would not be surprised if that incident, was the last straw for BB, and he as a Patriot, in the foreseeable future-- unless he does a 150,  in attitude, and performance- which I really doubt.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tankboytaylor. Show tankboytaylor's posts

I cant belive all the whining people are doing about the Merriweather hit especially Pats Fans probally the same people complaining the last few years about the Ds lack of toughness

I for one dont wanna see anyone on any team get a career ending injury and I do agree it looked like a cheap shot but I still liked it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To all the people who liked that hit...well the COACH did not. So, if you think you know what motivates and is good for this team more than BILL FRE AKIN BELICHICK, than I suggest you apply for some head coaching positions. Meriweather would not have seen the field after that play if not for injuries.

This is a guy who was benched for being uncoachable. Has made some very bad plays. Commented on the radio that he's NOT GOING TO CHANGE HIS STYLE! To me, he's basically saying he's not coachable. He will continue to do what he wants, to h e l l with responsibilities or the framework of a team. Brandon is here for Brandon. To make big plays and big hits and get false Pro Bowl nods (how many safeties pulled out before he got to go? 5?). He is an extremely selfish player. He needs to grow up. If he doesn't, well, he'll be another failure as a draft pick, but the Pats and BB will move one. If he doesn't mature, a few years from now, he'll be sitting at home, playing Madden with Lendal White, asking each other "What happened? We're both awesome!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't think saying that "I'm not gonna change my style" is Meriweather saying that "I'm not coachable".  Meriweather admitted that his time on the bench a few games ago was on him for not doing what the coaching staff asked.  Hopefully that's behind him and was a lesson learned.  That is different from his physicality as a safety.  I like that he takes it upon himself to hit and intimidate, someone needs to.  I wouldn't condone a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless player, but I really hope this doesn't stop him from delivering hard, clean blows when the opportunties present themselves. 

Meriweather is the most polarizing player I've seen in a long time.  Some people love his agressiveness, some people think it leads to missed assignments, and no doubt, it has and does.  But there is a lot of good to go with the bad.  People are scapegoating this guy and blaming him for the ineffectiveness of the D at some points, even though he has made some very good plays this year.

I think he's still young enough to learn.  Problem is, he's the veteran in the secondary, so it may never happen. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

This is probably the last straw for him. since last season, he has been in the dog house for a variety of reasons, poor play, late to the action ( like this one), out of position, immaturity on the field, on and on--- excpt that he was a #1 draft choice, as was Mauoney, now gone, he could be, but for BB's rep drafting players?? not good, in the last 4-5 years. This clown is a bum, good riddence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

[QUOTE]This is probably the last straw for him. since last season, he has been in the dog house for a variety of reasons, poor play, late to the action ( like this one), out of position, immaturity on the field, on and on--- excpt that he was a #1 draft choice, as was Mauoney, now gone, he could be, but for BB's rep drafting players?? not good, in the last 4-5 years. This clown is a bum, good riddence.
    Posted by jaycee1m[/QUOTE]

BB not good drafting players? Did you happen to notice this years draft  ( McCourty, Gronkowski, Cunningham, Spikes, Hernandez, Mesko and Deaderick all making real contributions this year?) How about last years ( Chung, Vollmer, Tate, Pryor, Edelman - and some contribution from Brace/Butler)

Are you serious? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I'm all for aggressive hits for our secondary but the Meriweather hit was just plain dumb.  After the ball sailed over Heap's head he launched himself and lead with his helmet.  How about putting a shoulder into his chest?  Bill was disgusted after the play and pulled him from the game.  It was written all over his face!  I can't believe people are actually defending this play.  Meriweather consistently does what he wants and doesn't care about what he's taught.  He himself even admitted it.  Guaranteed this guy won't be on the team next year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

i'll leave him alone when he leaves the patriots

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeatBoston4Ever. Show BeatBoston4Ever's posts

I guess you all like it when a Pats player does it to the opposition but the next time girlie Brady gets taken down with a low hit to the knees (and it is coming) we'll see if you still like it. The NFL, under its new guidelines, will allow aggressive hits to the lower body but will not tolerate it to the upper body. NFL spokesperson Anderson said, a head shot is career altering and life altering, whereas, a shot to the knees is career altering but not life altering. We'll choose the latter. With that, you can kiss Brady goodby. Ray Lewis has let it be known that if Pats/Ravens meet in playoffs you can count on it.

Incidentally, you won on Sunday because the OC in Baltimore palyed conservative in his play calling in 4th period and tried to sit on a lead. Go read the Baltimore websites and news comments there and see how their ripping their coach.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It's been a while since I heard the whining and excuse making from sore losers after a Patriot victory! Oh no, a threat from Ray LEWIS! He hasn't done that before!!!

It was all the BAL OC. Sure. If you want to throw one guy under the bus go for it. Even if it was his fault, who put him there? The coach? The GM? The owner? So it all comes back to the TEAM anyway!

Don't go reading what you want on here either, not all Pats fans are happy with that hit, now go take your whining somewhere else and go worry about running an OC out of town. Loser.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

[QUOTE]I guess you all like it when a Pats player does it to the opposition but the next time girlie Brady gets taken down with a low hit to the knees (and it is coming) we'll see if you still like it. The NFL, under its new guidelines, will allow aggressive hits to the lower body but will not tolerate it to the upper body. NFL spokesperson Anderson said, a head shot is career altering and life altering, whereas, a shot to the knees is career altering but not life altering. We'll choose the latter. With that, you can kiss Brady goodby. Ray Lewis has let it be known that if Pats/Ravens meet in playoffs you can count on it. Incidentally, you won on Sunday because the OC in Baltimore palyed conservative in his play calling in 4th period and tried to sit on a lead. Go read the Baltimore websites and news comments there and see how their ripping their coach.
    Posted by BeatBoston4Ever[/QUOTE]

If you actually read New England websites and watched news stations you'd know that the Patriots switched to a unique nickel package in the 4th quarter and OT thus not allowing anything downfield.  The only option for the Ravens was to dump off to Ray Rice.  Face it the Ravens got out schemed and outplayed.  Just look at the rushing stats.  The Pats D-Line shut down the running game.  Then Brady and Branch just started clicking.  You guys can make all the excuses you want down there.  You always do after a loss. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]I guess you all like it when a Pats player does it to the opposition but the next time girlie Brady gets taken down with a low hit to the knees (and it is coming) we'll see if you still like it. The NFL, under its new guidelines, will allow aggressive hits to the lower body but will not tolerate it to the upper body. NFL spokesperson Anderson said, a head shot is career altering and life altering, whereas, a shot to the knees is career altering but not life altering. We'll choose the latter. With that, you can kiss Brady goodby. Ray Lewis has let it be known that if Pats/Ravens meet in playoffs you can count on it. Incidentally, you won on Sunday because the OC in Baltimore palyed conservative in his play calling in 4th period and tried to sit on a lead. Go read the Baltimore websites and news comments there and see how their ripping their coach.
    Posted by BeatBoston4Ever[/QUOTE]

I can hear the sniffles and suppressed cries in your tone.  You got beat, deal with it.  And in case you can't/won't read, most fans think Meriweather's hit was uncalled for.  Tosser...

Sections
Shortcuts