Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!

In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!:
    [QUOTE]helmet to helmet hits are a part of the game and the players know they are all one injury away from retiring, it wasnt a cheap shot at all he was trying to make a play and he got flagged and will get fined for it, game over, issue over. every player knows the risk they take when they lace them up, stop crying. and nobody wants to see anybody get hurt on the field but its football and it happens. 
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? Car accidents happen too but if I were to T bone you running a red would you just say, we all know the risks when we get in a car, Just give him a ticket and we'll both go on our way?

But then again I'm sure you were fine with that hit Smith laid on Welker last year too.

There were tons of people up in arms when Welker got hit. Similiar conditions only difference was Meriweather launched himself into the air and hit with his head while Smith stayed on the ground and closed line

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Gee we are all SHOCKED that Mighty had something nasty to say about Meriwether. I don't know why you have this axe to grind with this one player but everyone know you have an agenda when it comes to this one player so excuse me if i take what you have to say on this subject with a grain of salt. I mean I get it I am the same way with Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy. Now go ahead and get all offended and call me some kind of name im sure you wont let me down.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Yell

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

You can't group Meriweathers hit with Tatum. Not even close. Tatums' hit on Stingley was after the ball was WAY overthrown and seconds after the ball went by him. THAT WAS DELIBERATE AND FLAGRANT. Meriweathers' hit was at the time of the catch.
    I'm glad Heap wasn't hurt.....but anyone else see how high his mouthpiece went! I mean....how much force was at that point of impact?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

this is being so over analyzed. keep it simple.

1. Dirty hit
    2. stupid hit
    3. the game changed after the hit
    4. Meriweather is just doing what every hard hitter in the NFL does.
    5. Retailiation? u mean defenders arent going after Brady and Welker?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm getting disgusted by all the apologists for this play.

You can play hard and send a message without being dirty. Has society fallen so far when dirty is now acceptable if it's for YOUR cause? That's a mature, grown-up way of thinking...

Helmet to helmet hits are a part of the current NFL, agreed. Should they be? NO! When did tackling become "hit him as hard as you can"? Get low, aim for the hips, wrap your arms, and drive the player to the ground, tackling 101. I see too many morons coming in head down, shoulder out. It creates unneeded force, creates a weapon, leads to some big hits, and equally big misses. It's pitiful form.

But my biggest issue is his remarks today. Basically, he said, yeah, I got flagged, but look at the stats and see what they did after. Wow. He obviously sees nothing wrong with what he did, and will eagerly do it again...regardless of game situation, score, field position or anything else. Meriweather is proving to be an extreme mental midget. He was completely unapologetic. Not sorry for a vicious and illegal hit, not sorry for costing his team 15 yards, and not sorry for giving the opponent a first down. Pathetic. I don't want that kind of selfish, stupid player on my team.

Rodney and meriweather aren't in the same class, not even close. Harrison was an intimidator through mostly clean, though overly aggressive play. Meriweather is dumb. I spelled out those thoughts on another post already:

I'm sick of the Harrison comparisons. He was NEVER accused of being a head hunter! He was accused of being dirty, but understand what others called him dirty for before looking so ignorant. Though the rules were different, he was seldom flagged on the field. Other players took issue because he would be the 3rd...or 4th, 5th, 10th, or 11th player into the pile...and he'd come in at full speed. He played 100% TO THE WHISTLE, regardless of if it was needed or not. His hits were ALWAYS legit, not head down, p u s s y spearing. Forearms and shoulders all day from Harrison.

People called Harrison dirty because he was supremely intense, and played a little beyond the whistle. Merriweather is an idiot who doesn't know how to tackle the right way. ENOUGH WITH TRYING TO SOIL HARRISON'S NAME! He is one of the best safeties in league history, not some punk who celebrates after making a nice hit...on a 20 YARD COMPLETION!

And to add a little more. Harrison was notorious for taking runs at RBs in the flat, and drilling people after tipped balls (both very legal), which opposing players called dirty because it was far beyond what was neccessary. THAT is the GOOD type of intimidation, NOT AN ILLEGAL HIT!

And tampon comments only go to show what a level-headed, mature, grown up poster you are. Kudos on that. You remove all credibility for that side of the argument. Now go pick up your club and go find some dinner caveman!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

And we did see this already. The Jet safety led with his helmet and rocked Welker earlier this year...do I need to go scrounge up the posts calling for his suspension and murder? I'm sure a lot of you pro-meriweather goofs were furious about that hit...oh, but it's ok now. Simply disgusting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : Are you kidding me? Car accidents happen too but if I were to T bone you running a red would you just say, we all know the risks when we get in a car, Just give him a ticket and we'll both go on our way? But then again I'm sure you were fine with that hit Smith laid on Welker last year too. There were tons of people up in arms when Welker got hit. Similiar conditions only difference was Meriweather launched himself into the air and hit with his head while Smith stayed on the ground and closed line
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

bro you wouldnt just get a ticket your insurance would go up and and you would be paying for the ticket and injuties etc (same as merritweather getting fined) and yes welker did take a helmet to helmet shot by smith and he did get flagged and it wasnt dirty its part of the game man, was merriweathers hit a penalty, of course, was it intentional? im sure it wasnt. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]I'm getting disgusted by all the apologists for this play. You can play hard and send a message without being dirty. Has society fallen so far when dirty is now acceptable if it's for YOUR cause? That's a mature, grown-up way of thinking... Helmet to helmet hits are a part of the current NFL, agreed. Should they be? NO! When did tackling become "hit him as hard as you can"? Get low, aim for the hips, wrap your arms, and drive the player to the ground, tackling 101. I see too many morons coming in head down, shoulder out. It creates unneeded force, creates a weapon, leads to some big hits, and equally big misses. It's pitiful form. But my biggest issue is his remarks today. Basically, he said, yeah, I got flagged, but look at the stats and see what they did after. Wow. He obviously sees nothing wrong with what he did, and will eagerly do it again...regardless of game situation, score, field position or anything else. Meriweather is proving to be an extreme mental midget. He was completely unapologetic. Not sorry for a vicious and illegal hit, not sorry for costing his team 15 yards, and not sorry for giving the opponent a first down. Pathetic. I don't want that kind of selfish, stupid player on my team. Rodney and meriweather aren't in the same class, not even close. Harrison was an intimidator through mostly clean, though overly aggressive play. Meriweather is dumb. I spelled out those thoughts on another post already: I'm sick of the Harrison comparisons. He was NEVER accused of being a head hunter! He was accused of being dirty, but understand what others called him dirty for before looking so ignorant. Though the rules were different, he was seldom flagged on the field. Other players took issue because he would be the 3rd...or 4th, 5th, 10th, or 11th player into the pile...and he'd come in at full speed. He played 100% TO THE WHISTLE, regardless of if it was needed or not. His hits were ALWAYS legit, not head down, p u s s y spearing. Forearms and shoulders all day from Harrison. People called Harrison dirty because he was supremely intense, and played a little beyond the whistle. Merriweather is an idiot who doesn't know how to tackle the right way. ENOUGH WITH TRYING TO SOIL HARRISON'S NAME! He is one of the best safeties in league history, not some punk who celebrates after making a nice hit...on a 20 YARD COMPLETION! And to add a little more. Harrison was notorious for taking runs at RBs in the flat, and drilling people after tipped balls (both very legal), which opposing players called dirty because it was far beyond what was neccessary. THAT is the GOOD type of intimidation, NOT AN ILLEGAL HIT! And tampon comments only go to show what a level-headed, mature, grown up poster you are. Kudos on that. You remove all credibility for that side of the argument. Now go pick up your club and go find some dinner caveman!
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

it was def a illegal hit, but it wasnt intentional, he got flagged, fined, maybe suspended, and no football player is going to change his game because of a flag, and if you watch rodneys helmet to helmet hit on jerry rice it ws a much more viscious hit, he was known as a dirty player, he never changed his game, and neither will merrieweather.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

I LOVE this HIT

It helps the D tremendously

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm not going to be a homer here. 

10% (my wild guess) of NFL football is intimidation.  Players such as Brandon Meriweather and Logan Mankins are specifically drafted higher because they have a nasty streak.  You can read "nasty streak" as an asset in player evaluations. 

Brandon Meriweather was drafted in part because in college he kicked a prone football player.  Then Meriweather was schooled by an all-pro at nastiness, Rodney Harrison.  Now Meriweather is the Patriots' backfield leader.  He leads with his helmet at critical junctures.  Often he puts his helmet onto the football or into a receiver's stomach, but sometimes he cracks helmets with someone. 

On Sunday an intimidation-happy (which kind of implies slightly talent-deprived otherwise) Baltimore team came to Foxboro.  Baltimore prides itself in hitting hard.  Meriweather hit back hard, and on one play Meriweather's helmet hit and gave tight end Todd Heap temporary (I hope!) brain damage.

I'm not a fan of brain damage.  I'd much rather that the NFL cracked down on terrible hits.  However, the fans have a morbid curiosity about hard hits and it sells the NFL's popcorn.  Entire sports such as World Wrestling Entertainment have been built around ultraviolent hits (that are all quite fake, except for Yukon Jack's ear coming off once 60 years ago). 

So, the NFL wants to crack down but it really doesn't.  It's sort of like the mayor pledging to crack down on corruption in City Hall. 

Meriweather should get suspended.  The game is about intimidation, and to tell the truth the Patriots play the game reasonably well.  So should some of the Ravens be suspended for their hits against other teams in other weeks. 

Suspensions work in European soccer leagues.  NFL fines against players don't work; Rodney Harrison called them a cost of doing business.   Coaches across the NFL are going to call on players to launch themselves into the air again and again, and never mind the fines, until the league actually cracks down. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : it was def a illegal hit, but it wasnt intentional, he got flagged, fined, maybe suspended, and no football player is going to change his game because of a flag, and if you watch rodneys helmet to helmet hit on jerry rice it ws a much more viscious hit, he was known as a dirty player, he never changed his game, and neither will merrieweather.

Except Harrison did change his game. Instead of leading with his head he lead with his shoulder after he was suspended for helmet to helmet hits. Or did you not hear the comments Harrison made towards helmet to helmet hits?

"Rodney Harrison knows a thing or two about getting fined.  And he says all the money in the world didn't change his behavior.

That's why Harrison thinks suspensions are the only way to address all the helmet-to-helmet hits across the league."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/17/rodney-harrison-only-suspensions-can-stop-dirty-hits/  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjcaesar. Show kjcaesar's posts

We all know it was illegal hit, and he will get fined. We also know that he is poor tackler and inconsistant at times. But other than illegal hit, I thought he played great game. He already apologized to Heap so like poster said, leave him alone.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I'm all for "Hitting" in this sport. Hit the QB, Hit the Rec, mine or there's, I do not play favorites as was suggested above. Teams have depth for a reason, injuries happen, i don't like to see that, don't ever route for it, get upset when another team loses there best before we play them as I want to beat the best to be the best.

We need to be a physical defense, if thats what you want then it all in or nothing. You can't play half *** like the rules now say you should. Why do you think Rodney went into a season with money set aside for fines??? Not because he wanted to hurt people, it was because he couldnt afford to think out there and hold anything back. He wanted to be the best and that is just all out, everything you have, no room for exceptions there, us against them, they will lose, there is no other possible outcome.

Thank You Brandon

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I love there aggresiveness too but they have to do something to protect these players. They went from flags to suspensions. They will have a hard time suspending any of these guys from this week with the PBA. None of these guys where even ejected where they? I know Brandon wasn't! Rodneys got Goddell 's attention. He will put his foot down I just hope they warn these guys this week with fines and start with ejections first then suspensions............peace out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

He won't be left alone. Goodall has a chance to use him as an example, do something to hurt the Pats and help his beloved Jets at the same time. No way he's going to pass this up. I say 2 game suspension to make sure he's out for the Vikings game.

That said...did you guys see the look BB gave him before he sent him to the bench for a quarter?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]He won't be left alone. Goodall has a chance to use him as an example, do something to hurt the Pats and help his beloved Jets at the same time. No way he's going to pass this up. I say 2 game suspension to make sure he's out for the Vikings game.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Good.  Our team is better without him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

To his credit Merri said he's sorry.  Good for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]And we did see this already. The Jet safety led with his helmet and rocked Welker earlier this year...do I need to go scrounge up the posts calling for his suspension and murder? I'm sure a lot of you pro-meriweather goofs were furious about that hit...oh, but it's ok now. Simply disgusting.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

One of those "disgusting" Meriweather fans who was ok with the hit here. Smith didn't launch his helmet at Wes, Smith punched Welker in the head with full intent and wanting to hit Wes. Meriweather started his jump with the intent to dislodge the ball from Heap. If you re-watch the highlight you'll see that Mayo gets to Heap and hits him mid-air and that changes Heap's trajectory towards Brandon. Heap then puts his head down and Brandon's, who was already in mid-air, helmet made contact to Heap's helmet. So yeah, two different situations. 

I don'y care, I would've preferred it if it wasn't a helmet-to-helmet hit, but I loved that he was trying to punish Heap. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : it was def a illegal hit, but it wasnt intentional, he got flagged, fined, maybe suspended, and no football player is going to change his game because of a flag, and if you watch rodneys helmet to helmet hit on jerry rice it ws a much more viscious hit, he was known as a dirty player, he never changed his game, and neither will merrieweather.

it was not intentional? what makes you say that?

watch it on youtube. meriweather actually went out of his way to get his helmet up to heap's. it could have been a clean tackle if he launched himself laterally which would hit heap hard on the torso because heap was above him. but no he chose to launch himself upward and as he was going up he lowered his helmet to protect himself.

it's the football equivalent of howard's elbow.

now, in the old days, hits like that were okay, becasue people were ignorant of the long term effects. saying that it's still okay despite what is known now is just moronic.

keep doing that and he won't be playing for a while. tha's another reason it's just plain stupid on his part.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : it was not intentional? what makes you say that? watch it on youtube. meriweather actually went out of his way to get his helmet up to heap's. it could have been a clean tackle if he launched himself laterally which would hit heap hard on the torso because heap was above him. but no he chose to launch himself upward and as he was going up he lowered his helmet to protect himself. it's the football equivalent of howard's elbow. now, in the old days, hits like that were okay, becasue people were ignorant of the long term effects. saying that it's still okay despite what is known now is just moronic. keep doing that and he won't be playing for a while. tha's another reason it's just plain stupid on his part.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

No he didn't, Heap was coming down and he brought his head down to Meriweather's helmet. Brandon was already in the air before Mayo knocked Heap and changed his direction. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Meriweather just doing what a safety suppose to do , light up anyone who comes across the middle. The game is so geared to the offense (rules and penalties) now people even want suspension for hard hit. A receiver exposed is like a fastball right down the middle you gotta take a big swing at it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The soon to be renamed NFL will be instituting the Merriweather Rule! When if you actually look at the play in real time there is absolutely no way Merriweather could have known that he was going to hit Helmet to helmet with Heap. Hey but believe whatever the talking heads tell you!! The best way to say it is that it looked worse than it actually was and though he may be fined a suspension isn't warranted ! If one is issued then every player whoever hit a guy like that needs to get his suspension retroactively. Dunta Robinson and James Harrison should also be suspended and I saw several other hits on Sunday which where just as devastating as the one delivered by Merriweather.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : No he didn't, Heap was coming down and he brought his head down to Meriweather's helmet. Brandon was already in the air before Mayo knocked Heap and changed his direction. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I had to watch it carefully a few times. I have to disagree. I wanted to buy it 49. Contact with Mayo was going to send Heap into a cartwheel, yes. However, Meriweather already clearly saw Heap coming down before he launched upward. I would have bought your argument that Heap landed on Meriweather if Meriweather did not launch upward. Clearly Meriweather got off the ground.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

[QUOTE]How was it a cheap shot? Heap had the ball in his hands didnt he? Or he was pretty close, close enough that Meri was trying keep him from making a catch so it was not dirty, it was flagged because it was helmet to helmet but i wouldnt call it dirty. And i love the way he plays, some people will knock him but i like his risk taking and i like that he is not a "nice guy" out there.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

It was cheap - Merriweather turned his body and launched specifically at Heap's head with his helmet.  It was as cheap as they come.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Merriweather, down here in Baltimore, is the scourge of the earth.  You should hear the Ravens' fans pontificating about that hit while at the same time are all agog about their own defense and one player named Suggs.  There have been many times a Ravens' defensive player has been guilty of the very same thing.  But hearing the Ravens fans, "oh no, a Ravens player would not do that!".

No doubt, Merriweather will be fined, not suspended, as the league indicates suspensions start with this weekends play.  But, does it rise to the level of the hit on Welker in which Smith inflicted more dmamage?  Due to the current hysteria about these hits, this one is getting quite a lot more light shed on it as similar, if not worse hits earlier this year, are being forgotten.