Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!

In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone!:
    In Response to Re: Leave Brandon Meriweather Alone! : It was cheap - Merriweather turned his body and launched specifically at Heap's head with his helmet.  It was as cheap as they come.

Posted by Indylove

Good to hear from boobie sanders. Won't matter if he plays or not after this rule. Leading with the helmet is the only thing he does

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Ravens fans are idiots just like the players. They like to brag about tough they are despite being some of the biggest whiners in the league. They pride themselves on being one of the top cheap shot teams in the league then cry when someone gives them a taste of their own medicine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Well. So, nationally, The Meriweather hit was as dirty as they come. Even though i tend to swim upstream, are you all really going to deny the dirty hit in the face of so many detractors?

Aside from that, if you want to say the helmet-to-helmet part was unintentional, fine. But, then I have to ask you this...why is Meriweather launching himself at an airborn receiver, with his arms tucked obviously not going for the ball, and only the hit? THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF WHAT IS NOW ILLEGAL!

He could have LEGALLY planted, caught him, and drove him to the ground. More effective, legal, and just as intimidating without the needless penalty.

And go back and watch, there are some serious homers. Heap went for the ball, missed it, got turned by Mayo, and saw Meriweather before he left his feet, that's why he ducked to brace himself.

And stop lamenting about changing football. It's the 6'5, 270 OLB that runs a 4.4 40 that changed football. Time for a sport to be PROactive, and not wait for something tragic to happen.

And people on here will mock Ravens fans because they've long been thugs, and laugh at them for complaining...while you, yourselves, are transforming into the same type of person.

I'm starting to honestly think they should remove the facemask to make these idiots think about what they're doing. The soccer style card system would probably work. 2 hits like that in a game, you're gone. So many in a season, you get suspended, increasing for repeat offenders year in and year out.

For the love of God, BB's glare should be all any of us needed to see. If HE reacted like that, how can any of you be ok with it? You know about the psyche of a football game better than him? Know what is good for the team better than the coach? Some mighty high opinions of yourselves.

I like the mention about driving. I think I'll buy a Hummer, and frequent all those lovely MA rotaries. Hey! They knew the risk of driving through a rotary in MA...not my fault they drive a compact import officer, they knew the risks...well, have a nice day!

Grow up, seriously. You can be tough and intimidating without being a punk or cheapshot artist.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well. So, nationally, The Meriweather hit was as dirty as they come. Even though i tend to swim upstream, are you all really going to deny the dirty hit in the face of so many detractors? Aside from that, if you want to say the helmet-to-helmet part was unintentional, fine. But, then I have to ask you this...why is Meriweather launching himself at an airborn receiver, with his arms tucked obviously not going for the ball, and only the hit? THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF WHAT IS NOW ILLEGAL! He could have LEGALLY planted, caught him, and drove him to the ground. More effective, legal, and just as intimidating without the needless penalty. And go back and watch, there are some serious homers. Heap went for the ball, missed it, got turned by Mayo, and saw Meriweather before he left his feet, that's why he ducked to brace himself. And stop lamenting about changing football. It's the 6'5, 270 OLB that runs a 4.4 40 that changed football. Time for a sport to be PROactive, and not wait for something tragic to happen. And people on here will mock Ravens fans because they've long been thugs, and laugh at them for complaining...while you, yourselves, are transforming into the same type of person. I'm starting to honestly think they should remove the facemask to make these idiots think about what they're doing. The soccer style card system would probably work. 2 hits like that in a game, you're gone. So many in a season, you get suspended, increasing for repeat offenders year in and year out. For the love of God, BB's glare should be all any of us needed to see. If HE reacted like that, how can any of you be ok with it? You know about the psyche of a football game better than him? Know what is good for the team better than the coach? Some mighty high opinions of yourselves. I like the mention about driving. I think I'll buy a Hummer, and frequent all those lovely MA rotaries. Hey! They knew the risk of driving through a rotary in MA...not my fault they drive a compact import officer, they knew the risks...well, have a nice day! Grow up, seriously. You can be tough and intimidating without being a punk or cheapshot artist.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Just call me the thread killer. Nothing takes the wind out of an ignorant sail like solid reasoning.

Thanks Mighty...interesting photo. A very intimidating Pat in his day...who did it all without malicious intent.

I'll happily remain in the minority when the majority shares such a disturbing opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The way I saw it was that he intentionally launched himself to try to take the other guy's head off. Heap was totally defenseless and vulnerable to serious injury. This may seem admirable to some of you but it seemed dirty and flagrant to me. We're supposed to applaud Meriweather because he makes up for what he lacks in skill by playing dirty? I don't get it! How would we like it if Welker or Branch were knocked out of a game, or out of the rest of the season or injured for life? Violence is part of the game but cheapshotting shouldn't be tolerated. Someone commented on the look on Belichick's face after the hit and penalty. He was angry and rightfully so.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's no different than hockey. Sure, we can all recognize a cheap shot when we see one, and maybe it makes us feel better to clutch our skirts and say, "Oh, my. That's not right!" But fining guys is locking the barn door after the horses have all gone out drinking and whoring. Unless and until there is a legitimate system for taking repeat offenders off the field (or even out of the league), I'm all for having a guy on the team who can give back as good as his team gets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Where were all these anti dirty play people when Rodney Harrison was doing the exact same thing? Cause I dont remember ever having this conversation about Rodney when he pulled this crap.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Rodney ain't Fairyweather.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Where were all these anti dirty play people when Rodney Harrison was doing the exact same thing? Cause I dont remember ever having this conversation about Rodney when he pulled this crap.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

These people liked Rodney. Some of them like him to the point of inflating his ability and have retrospective imaginations where he never let up a single TD, no one ever caught a pass near him, and he never missed a tackle.

Not to mention every hit he made was gentlemanly, and he was sure to lay pillows beneath the offensive player to cushion his landing too. 

If you haven't noticed the glaringly obvious correlation, the majority of the people here bagging on Brandon are guys who didn't like him to begin with, and are now jumping on whatever form of criticism they can bolster their opinion with, even if it disregards the fact that he has played almost lights out the last two weeks bottling Heap when he was covering him and manning up against Marshall the week before. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

I watched the replay and merriweather did not make helmet to helmet contact, he made shoulder to helmet contact.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It was a "dirty" hit and if you want one of his supporters to say that I will it was dirty and I still love it. Im sorry but I like having a mean mother f*cker out there who plays mean. Meri is the one guy on the defense who has that mind set and it is something he passes on to other players as he plays, like Wilfork said after that hit the defense got more physical, he said he has never played in a more physical game and it was all set off by the way Meri plays. When guys go across the middle and he is in the game they will be watching for him cause they dont want to get slammed. So was it a bad hit? Yes. Will he get fined? Yes. But was it worth it? YES. Just the way I see it I understand where you are coming from as well.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

MVP I have a couple things here. Do I want a mean mother f'er on the field that O players are going to fear hearing footsteps from. You bet I do but I want it in the mold of a Vrable, Chung, McGinest, J. Taylor, Schobel, Reed. These guys played damn hard and hit you with force but rarely would I call any of their hits dirty.

Even with Rodney I hated when he played with SD and went head hunting. When he came to us it was after the NFL started to suspend him for head hunting. I don't think I remember a helmet to helmet hit from Rodney in NE like you saw from Meriweather.

If Meriweather didn't already go after Heaps head once in the same manner that game (Heaps TD catch where Meriweather left his feet head first and Heap ducked his head in time to hit Meriweathers shoulder) then I'd be more willing to defend the hit. But trying to do it twice in one game? It was intentional.

Look at the reaction from Spikes, Nin, and BB they knew what he did. Meriweather was even benched before Page was injured. If page didn't get hurt I doubt you would have seen meriweather back on the field except for 3 S plays.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Fine, whatever, there's no point in arguing with Z, that's a fight you can't win. 

But it was still a dirty hit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

Ok I just watched the video yet again and I still feel there's 2 poitns people are not getting when they watch it

1)
    Heap was IN THE AIR.  You can't complain about Meriweather 'launching' when the guy he's trying to tackle is in the air already.   Are DB's supposed ot just let any WR who goes up for a ball to catch it and return to the ground before they tackel them ? We're talking about a huge TE versus a smaller DB.... if the DB stands a chance of breaking up the pass he HAS TO jump. Once the TE comes down he's just gonan get run over

2)
    The final position Heap wound up in is VERY different from where he was a half second before the hit.  When the other Pats player hit Heap first .. Heap's body both rotated about 20-30 degrees and also his upperbody (including his HEAD) got bent over.  Initially Heap was upright in the air but after that first hit his  head was in a much different position ... maybe 2 feet lower and a foot to the side.

If you watch where Meriweather was standing ... yes he was ready to 'launch'. But as stated above he kinda has to in order to defend the pass. What you SHOULD also notice though is that if Heap had remained upright instead of being bent over, then Meriweather would have launched himself straight up and merely slapped bodies with Heap. I do believe it was unintentional that any helmet contact happened and only occured because Heap lost control of his body on the first hit.

3)
    If you call guys out on plays like this then you HAVE TO start calling every offensive player who 'puts his head down' to drive for more yards.  They don't do that because they want to hit someone with their helmet, they do it to keep proper balance while driving iwth their legs. However, they are still just as likely to cause a helmet to helmet collision with any defensive player who puts his head down. 

The problem of course is that players 'put their head down' all the time and never get called for it.  It's the nature of football and the subject of many highlight films. If you started calling it on all the offensive players who do it though then the penalties would make your game run 5 hours.

So maybe the CORRECT answer is to actually use judgment and examine each situation for true intent and actual PHYSICS instead of making kneejerk reactions based on how bad something looked on camera and whether the guy who got hit wound up on the ground or not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

I think Heap should be flagged for swinging his head down to make contact with Meriweather's.   Think about it for a sec.

Heap launched himself supposedly to catch the ball, but he could have easily nailed a defender in the head with his helmet while he was irresponsibly throwing his body around.  If Heap launched himself up and Meriweather launched himself up.... why is Meriweather a bad guy and Heap a good guy?

It reminds me of an argument I made about a funny law:

If Person1 gets drunk and drives and kills someone.....
    />>>> we blame Person1 for drinking and being incapable of judgment and the law prosecutes them.

If Person1 gets drunk and has sex with Person2, then regrets it the next day....
    />>>> we blame Person2 for 'taking advantage' of Person1 who was drinking and incapable of judgment and the law prosecutes Person2.

It's funny how hypocritical application of the rules is .........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

NFL just fined Meriweather $50k.  They seemed to think it was intentional. You don't fine someone $50,000 if you think he accidentally made contact while trying to make a tackle. Sorry but I can't find 1 current/former player (including Rodnay of all people) who defended the hit. Wilfork said it changed the game but never actually defended the hit. That should be enough to show it wasn't a good or clean hit

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

My two cents on this topic:

1. He needs to not lose his intimidating style.
    2. He needs to simply use his shoulder.  This shouldn't be that hard to do.  Leading with helmet is actually pretty dangerous for him and the receiver, actually. It's poor technique.

He needs to find a way to harness the big hit and the safe play when he goes to tackle.

He's improving, but needs to keep on it.

I do find it comical that a Jets DB almost decapiated Anquan Boldin 2 years ago and now that a Patriot is involved, Goodell decides to address this mid season.

I am sure Rogie will let Favrie walk and he'll be proud he let Rapelisturd off the hook as well.

He knee jerks some moves like Spygate and then backs off other more serious issues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

50,000 of his dollars will be leaving him alone shortly . . . .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Meriweather just fined $50,000 for that hit.  If you see him, ask him it was worth it?  Meriweather could still have given a really good blow without launching at him with his helmet.  It was a cheap shot.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It was not a clean it and I still love it, I do not care I like that Meri has turned himself into that guy for this defense we need it. "MVP I have a couple things here. Do I want a mean mother f'er on the field that O players are going to fear hearing footsteps from. You bet I do but I want it in the mold of a Vrable, Chung, McGinest, J. Taylor, Schobel, Reed. These guys played damn hard and hit you with force but rarely would I call any of their hits dirty" - PatsEng Did you really just put Chung in the same group as Vrabel? and Willie Mac? I love Chung but this is his second year and he has not earned the right to be lumped in with the Pats all time greats. And of all the guys you just named only one is a D back and im sorry linebackers are almost never in a position where they could take a kill shot so of course you never saw Vrabel go helmet to helmet. But Rodney did it while he was a Pat on more then one occasion. One example off the top of my head was in 2006 in a game against Cinci, he lit a guy up down the side line and was fined 3 days later. Also Vince Wilfork has been fined by the NFL 4 or 5 times for "playing dirty"
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I said Chung because he is a current hard hitting safety still playing that has made hits that make you wince, not because I want to toss him into the same category as all time Pats greats. BTW I named 2 DE's, 2 LB's, and 2 S's. I did it on purpose to show that from the line to the back end there are guys that can be called intimidator without playing dirty. Unless you consider Reed a LB?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Fact is Merriweather and Chung are two enforcers. The Pats physicality is back. It is exactly what we needed. With Mayo tackling everything that moves and Spikes starting to shoot the gap and make hits at the line of scrimmage we are on our way.

Also to Zbellino, are you trying to say that Rodney wasn't the key to our defense in 03 and 04? Do you think he missed even more then every so often? Do you think he gave up a lot of td's? I think he is the only member in NFL history to have 30 sacks and 30 interceptions in his career. He didn't do it with longevity either because he was hurt a lot the last few years of his career largely due to his 100 % aggression on EVERY PLAY. He also didn't start at first in SD. I have not seen a player make up for a lack of physical ability with pure 100% unwillingness to ever give up on a play. Rodney was not the fastest(by any stretch) nor did he hit the hardest(but he was close) but he was probably the most effective safety in the league, and the key ingredient of a SB defense!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

We all know the hit was dirty. At the same time, we have not been feared in a long time. We have receivers and tight ends leaving their feet in the middle our defense and for once, HE PAID FOR IT. 

Now Meriweather MUST learn to do this with his shoulder and not the helmet. We need his intimidating attitude, but it needs to be done in a smart manner. 

Meriweather is our best DB, like it or not, and we need him to continue to develop. Under this coaching staff, I have no doubt, he will get it all together. He has a long career ahead of him and will be a star player throughout his career if he can get it together out there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Listen MVP, I'm not arguing that I don't like his physical aggressive play basic that's what I want. And I'm not arguing helmet to helmet contact doesn't happen because it's part of the game and it will happen incidentally. What I'm saying is what btown said. He could have lead with his shoulder and delivered a devastating blow that wouldn't have risked Heaps career and brain damage. I've seen Chung hit a couple people this year in the air using his shoulder on similar plays were I jumped up and said that's what we need on D. Those are good strong hard hitting plays that will put the fear of God into a receiver. Trust me getting hit with someone's shoulder in your gut then falling on your back hurts like hell but it won't cause a concussion. Look at the replay it would have actually been easier for him to jump and lead with his shoulder into Heaps gut then jumping up with the crown of his head. It was just dirty that he tried early in the game and failed to succeed.

One thing you keep forgetting is what if Meriweather slammed his helmet into Heaps gut instead of his face gaurd. The face guard deflected the force to Meriweathers head upward. If he hit dead on it would have compacted his spine and could have seriously injured him. Also look at Mayo in the play. What if Meriweather had nailed Mayo by accident instead (wouldn't be the first player taken out by his own teammate) would you still be saying the same thing or would you be yelling at him for leading with his helmet and taking out our star ILB?

There's a right way to be agressive, intimidating, and physical and a wrong way. Leading with your helmet while a player is in the air and defenseless is not the right way to play. It's cheap and risks serious injury to both yourself and the other player. Same as a head hunting pitcher in the AL. You can back a player off the plate and knock him to the dust, the other teams pitchers can understand that. But when you are tossing at batters heads and hit them intentionally for no reason there will be retaliation against your team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

So what did you say when Chung laid a helmet to helmet on a QB last season? It was more intentional looking than this one as the QB wasn't even moving and he squared him up?

None of the same crew going after BM were up in arms that day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It was not a clean it and I still love it, I do not care I like that Meri has turned himself into that guy for this defense we need it. "MVP I have a couple things here. Do I want a mean mother f'er on the field that O players are going to fear hearing footsteps from. You bet I do but I want it in the mold of a Vrable, Chung, McGinest, J. Taylor, Schobel, Reed. These guys played damn hard and hit you with force but rarely would I call any of their hits dirty" - PatsEng Did you really just put Chung in the same group as Vrabel? and Willie Mac? I love Chung but this is his second year and he has not earned the right to be lumped in with the Pats all time greats. And of all the guys you just named only one is a D back and im sorry linebackers are almost never in a position where they could take a kill shot so of course you never saw Vrabel go helmet to helmet. But Rodney did it while he was a Pat on more then one occasion. One example off the top of my head was in 2006 in a game against Cinci, he lit a guy up down the side line and was fined 3 days later. Also Vince Wilfork has been fined by the NFL 4 or 5 times for "playing dirty"
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Excellent points. This is almost a safety specific debate --although corners and special teams players have these chances too, and occasionally pass rushers when they get a clean shot. Well spotted. 

Ed Reed, Rodney, Sanders. These guys have been doing this for a while.They play fast and hard. Kuddos. 

Meriweather used poor technique, he could get paralyzed that way and could give someone else a concussion, but he was literally drafted to make big hits.

The funniest part is that Meri has never been fined for a h-2-h before, whereas Chung already has.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Fact is Merriweather and Chung are two enforcers. The Pats physicality is back. It is exactly what we needed. With Mayo tackling everything that moves and Spikes starting to shoot the gap and make hits at the line of scrimmage we are on our way. Also to Zbellino, are you trying to say that Rodney wasn't the key to our defense in 03 and 04? Do you think he missed even more then every so often? Do you think he gave up a lot of td's? I think he is the only member in NFL history to have 30 sacks and 30 interceptions in his career. He didn't do it with longevity either because he was hurt a lot the last few years of his career largely due to his 100 % aggression on EVERY PLAY. He also didn't start at first in SD. I have not seen a player make up for a lack of physical ability with pure 100% unwillingness to ever give up on a play. Rodney was not the fastest(by any stretch) nor did he hit the hardest(but he was close) but he was probably the most effective safety in the league, and the key ingredient of a SB defense!
    Posted by TrueChamp

TC,

IMO, he is a HOFer. My point is that performance wise, there isn't too much separating him from BM skill-wise. Certainly not the chasm that people here depict it as. If BM keeps the same production he has so far in his career, he will likely go to a couple more pro-bowls etcetera.

And yeah, RH was awesome. He was so saavy. And a crazy enforcer over the middle. He would also pay fines like this for hits like this once a season. Rodney was a better form tackler. But he was a low safety, not an over the top guy. BM is more like an Ed Reed-light (no one is as good as Ed Reed) who is good at making plays on the ball and man, and better at turning and covering. 

Sections
Shortcuts