LeGarrette Blount

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Re: LeGarrette Blount

In response to anonymis' comment:

Special teams just got worse? Demps was drafted to help w/ kickoff and punt returns.

Looks like Edelwoman and McCourty will take on that chore now?

Huh? Leon Washington is going fill spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

For what they gave up for him, I think it's worth it bringing him in. If he accepts his role and does what he's told, he can be useful. I don't know if he beats out Bolden though. Or if they keep him over Fiammetta. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

Thanks for the info...I'll adjust my view appropriately as a result, but I still think it's better to get something useful for Demps who simply was not going to be on this team with BB as coach and GM.

I agree with you.

While I would have really liked to see Demps work out his priority is track, not football.  I say get something here, which they did and I think maybe, just maybe he can be good in certain situations.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Being a Tampa resident and watching/following to some extent, the Buccaneers, here's my amateur scouting report on Blount. Big, strong guy but not as much of a downhill ballcarrier as you would think. Does have some athletic ability, as evidenced by some of his highlight reel carries hurdling defenders, etc.

Criticisms focus on his blocking, intelligence and his goal line ability. For a 250 lb. guy, he should be like Jerome Bettis on the goal line, but he's not good at it at all. He's good in the open field and once he builds up momentum, he will run over guys (or jump over them), but he's not a classic power back.

He doesn't block well and he's a bit of a head case. He's not Corey Dillon, and he's not as good as Ridley, not even close in my opinion. From what we saw of Bolden, I don't think he's any better than him either. I'd compare him a little to Brandon Jacobs, but a bit smaller. He'll have his moments, but isn't dependable.

Good info.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

We'll find out soon enough. I got below info off of some site.

Pick Analysis: Blount nearly threw away his chances of playing in the NFL when he sucker punched an opponent in a season-opening game against Boise State. He was re-instated in November and saw limited action against Oregon State and in Oregon?s bowl game against Ohio State. While his NFL potential is unquestioned, his lack of offseason training habits and inability to control his temper may scare a lot of teams away from him. He can run over tacklers yet has good foot quickness in the hole and runs behind his pads which allows him to break tackles and gain yards after contact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I like the deal. $1.75 against the cap however. 

Coaches must be really sour on Bolden....

How about BB is really sour on Ridley and his terminal case of fumbleitis?  Brandon Bolden can run rings around Ridley imo

Ridley fumbled right around the average for all NFL running backs.  The "fumbleitis" claim is inaccurate.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

We needed some depth...Vareen is an injury waiting to happen, Ridley fumbles, and Bodden was suspended once already. We lost Woodhead too - I don't have a problem with the trade...Demps was as good as gone anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Wow good trade! I feel bad for Bolden though because Blount will most likely take his snaps.

agreed and agreed. ap

violent runner

but what made him expendable? another indescretion?

(history of violent outburst; ie punched out a pler on the field, and off the field as well)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

We needed some depth...Vareen is an injury waiting to happen, Ridley fumbles, and Bodden was suspended once already. We lost Woodhead too - I don't have a problem with the trade...Demps was as good as gone anyway.

ridlelys fumbles per carry are low to avg.

he got knocked out on his last.

but i like blount as a runner.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

What are you.....Vareens doctor?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

...Patriots acquired RB LeGarrette Blount from the Bucs in exchange for RB Jeff Demps and a seventh-round pick.

It's stunning Bucs GM Mark Dominik was able to get anything for the one-dimensional, talent-deficient Blount, though Demps has made football second fiddle to his track career. That was a no-go for Bill Belichick, but apparently not his pal Greg Schiano. Blount is little more than a veteran flier for a Pats team that's already four deep at running back, but they'll presumably see how he fares as a short-yardage hammer in camp. Like every other role Blount has tried to fill, he's not effective in short-yardage situations. He won't be guaranteed a roster spot.

That's pretty good analysis as I see it. It's a veteran flier, worth taking. Just don't expect much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to NYPat's comment:

Pick Analysis: Blount nearly threw away his chances of playing in the NFL when he sucker punched an opponent in a season-opening game against Boise State. He was re-instated in November and saw limited action against Oregon State and in Oregon?s bowl game against Ohio State. While his NFL potential is unquestioned, his lack of offseason training habits and inability to control his temper may scare a lot of teams away from him. He can run over tacklers yet has good foot quickness in the hole and runs behind his pads which allows him to break tackles and gain yards after contact.

this is what i saw watchign him play as well

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

You simply have to like Blounts guts and toughness...if you need 2 yards to move the chains late in the game he'll get it for you...

I watched him get stuffed at the goal line from 2 feet 3 straight times last year and I think it was against the saints.

that dotn sound good.

did his o line stand down

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I honestly see bount as a camp body and can't see him on the depth chart:

1. Ridley

2. Vareen

3. washington

4. bolden

5. fiamatta- was one of the best FB in the league a few years ago when with dallas

6. Blount

The issue is the depth required at TE due to gronk and Hernandez's injury history will cut into the RB roster spots. 

TE depth:

1. gronk

2. hernandez

3. Ballard

4. fells

5. Hooman

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

OK this definitely confirms it - THIS DRAFT IS TERRIBLE - fire BB.

I can't believe he would FLUSH away one of our valuable 7th round picks for a washed up retread, and thrown in own best RB to boot!

Cool

Back to reality - Demps was toast - he wants to be a track star so he wasn't going to make the team and would have bee cut. Demps cost us zero draft capital last year, so Kraft is out a little cash for a one year visit to the IR. A seventh round pick is worth five cents more than a sheet of toilet paper and was probably thrown in to square the deal in TB.

Blount probably represents a warm body in camp with a 20% chance of making it to the first game, unless he has an epiphany. He had a great rookie year, a less than mediocre second year during which he started being used a little in the passing game, and fell off the map last year - Schiano didn't want him - so he basically sat. If he is hungry, he might be useful, if not he gets cut in camp - no big deal.

His contract is $1.25M with a roster bonus (probably already paid by TB) and 150K in workout bonus which the Past probably are on the hook for. Demps was due 405K this year so the trade adds about 800K to the Pats cap hit if Blount makes the team. The Pats end up with 11K in dead cap space from this transaction from Demps small signing bonus.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I like the deal. $1.75 against the cap however. 

Coaches must be really sour on Bolden....

How about BB is really sour on Ridley and his terminal case of fumbleitis?  Brandon Bolden can run rings around Ridley imo

Thank god you're not the GM.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

I have not read  any thing good about this guy! No responsibility for his actions. Gets kicked off Oregon, goes undrafted gets cut for punching titans teammate. Gets second chance from the Bucs and needs a personal alarm clock/ driver to be on time. 

BB not only works for rutgers but Shiano too

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Blount doesn't have much upstairs. He is a headcase. But, man he's a beast on 3rd and 5 when you fake a pass and go with a draw.  He hunts people down and runs over them for 5 to 8 yards. He keeps the other team on edge every moment he's in the game. Not because of his skills, but because he is mean, flat out nasty to bring down. The 5-6 plays he's in the game all defensive eyes are on him. Thats how they used him at University of Oregon. He opens up the field for other players because the defense really fear him.

He is not warm or friendly and one of the worst interviews your'll ever hear, but man he is tough.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

You simply have to like Blounts guts and toughness...if you need 2 yards to move the chains late in the game he'll get it for you...

QFT

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Blount doesn't have much upstairs. He is a headcase. But, man he's a beast on 3rd and 5 when you fake a pass and go with a draw.  He hunts people down and runs over them for 5 to 8 yards. He keeps the other team on edge every moment he's in the game. Not because of his skills, but because he is mean, flat out nasty to bring down. The 5-6 plays he's in the game all defensive eyes are on him. Thats how they used him at University of Oregon. He opens up the field for other players because the defense really fear him.

He is not warm or friendly and one of the worst interviews your'll ever hear, but man he is tough.  

So, you mean Kraft and BB are not going to invite him to dinner in the North End (a la Tebow)?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

Special teams just got worse? Demps was drafted to help w/ kickoff and punt returns.

Looks like Edelwoman and McCourty will take on that chore now?

You are forgetting Leon Washington. He will be returning KOs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to bredbruu's comment:

In response to NYPat's comment:

this is what i saw watchign him play as well

My expectation is that he lasts 1-2 years here BUT - this is his last wakeup call. If he dedicates himself a bit more to his career he could still become a solid role player. Maybe even very good. But I do not expect it. So he is worth a 7th and a guy who probaby was not going to play.

Sections
Shortcuts