Less than a trophy a failure? Find a new hobby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Less than a trophy a failure? Find a new hobby

I"ve heard this argument a lot lately (past few years), and actually had this very argument with my own father, who tends to play devil's advocate to get a reaction. Well, he did.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that if anything LESS than winning it all is a failure, and it's going to cause so much aggravation and anger...find a new hobby. Seriously. Having such unrealistic expectations for anything is foolish.

Does your child get punished for less than a 4.0?

Do you send back your meal if it isn't PERFECTLY cooked to order?

Are you that person that complains about a single water spot on a glass?

Do you stand in front of the mirror until every single strand of hair is exactly where it should be?

To look back at ten years and say, "It's kind of disappointing they couldn't win a ring over that impressive span" is perfectly reasonable. 

To start to paint the past ten years as a disappointment, or even more absurd, a failure? Well, seriously, your standards and expectations have grown out of control, and you should really seek out a new form of entertainment because, well, if those are your expectations, I can't imagine how watching football is actually fun, unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Maybe some of you don't remember the 80s or early (or late) 90s. Sure, getting a high draft pick is fun...but the season leading into certainly IS NOT. You don't EVER give up the chance for sustained success the Patriots have fought for.

Steelers, Colts, Giants, Saints, Packers, Ravens. That represents your winners for the past 8 years. SO there are 6 worthy teams, and 26 scrubs in the league, right? Pats won it NINE years ago (2/5/05), so stick that in your decade and suck it, and least get the FACTS straight.

Seattle, San Fran, Denver, NE...these teams are all unworthy I guess (you know, the 4 fking teams that made up the champioship round?). One of them can be granted that status in a week, I suppose. Boy, I sure wish I was a fan of Pittsburgh right now. Or the Ravens, they look set up for the future. Indy is assured titles with Canton-Bound Luck, RIGHT?!?! I know lots of Giants fans living down here in CT...they're loving life right now...no really! Saints? Fun offense that many around here want, but they don't look too great heading into next season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Less than a trophy a failure? Find a new hobby

Should the SB remain the ultimate goal?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I"ve heard this argument a lot lately (past few years), and actually had this very argument with my own father, who tends to play devil's advocate to get a reaction. Well, he did.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that if anything LESS than winning it all is a failure, and it's going to cause so much aggravation and anger...find a new hobby. Seriously. Having such unrealistic expectations for anything is foolish.

Do you stand in front of the mirror until every single strand of hair is exactly where it should be?

To look back at ten years and say, "It's kind of disappointing they couldn't win a ring over that impressive span" is perfectly reasonable. 

To start to paint the past ten years as a disappointment, or even more absurd, a failure? Well, seriously, your standards and expectations have grown out of control, and you should really seek out a new form of entertainment because, well, if those are your expectations, I can't imagine how watching football is actually fun, unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Maybe some of you don't remember the 80s or early (or late) 90s. Sure, getting a high draft pick is fun...but the season leading into certainly IS NOT. You don't EVER give up the chance for sustained success the Patriots have fought for.

Steelers, Colts, Giants, Saints, Packers, Ravens. That represents your winners for the past 8 years. SO there are 6 worthy teams, and 26 scrubs in the league, right? Pats won it NINE years ago (2/5/05), so stick that in your decade and suck it, and least get the FACTS straight.

Seattle, San Fran, Denver, NE...these teams are all unworthy I guess. One of them can be granted that status in a week, I suppose. Boy, I sure wish I was a fan of Pittsburgh right now. Or the Ravens, they look set up for the future. Indy is assured titles with Canton-Bound Luck, RIGHT?!?! I know lots of Giants fans living down here in CT...they're loving life right now...no really! Saints? Fun offense that many around here want, but they don't look too great heading into next season.

[/QUOTE]

A-freakin-men!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FoonaFish. Show FoonaFish's posts

Good post. People don't comprehend statistics and probability.

If you put yourself in position to make the playoffs (even as a 6th seed) you have a chance of winning it all. The more opportunities you give yourself the greater the chance that over a span of X years you'll have a very good odds (> 50%) of winning it all at least once.

12 teams make the playoffs, if all were even going into the postseason, the odds of winning SB would be 1/12 or 8%.  If you make the playoffs for 10 years your odds of winning at least 1 SB would be 1 - (.92)^10 = 56%.

Now being a 1 or 2 seed each year and getting home games and not having a wild card game to play increases those odds, maybe > 90% of 1 SB win over 10 yrs. But point being it's not 100% chance. The key is to give yourself the opportunity each year. Pats have certainly done that.

Idiots who think "let's tank" so we get high pick... the difference between best and worst team in the draft is ONE pick (the #1 overall) over the course of the entire draft. That one player could be great or a bust. What are the odds that 1 player will make a difference in helping a team go from last place to in the superbowl the next year... very slim.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I watch football because I like watching football.  Winning the Super Bowl is gravy, but honestly I'd rather see great football game after game.  That's the big reason I continue to love the New England Patriots under Belichick and keep my season tickets despite no longer living in New England.  This is a fabulous team to watch.  My biggest disappointment with them missing the Super Bowl is not that they don't have a chance at winning the Lombardi, but that I have one less Pats game to watch.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

This falls under the category of "discussions you'll never see on a Jacksonville Jaguars message board" along with:

"I'm tired of our hall of fame quarterback, maybe we need to trade him?"

"How many times do we have to settle for losing the AFCCG?"

"Sure, three SBs is great, but it's been almost ten years, will we ever win again?"

"Great, another 12-4 season wasted."

"I hope it snows."

I'm sure we could come up with a few more. We don't have it so bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I watch football because I like watching football.  Winning the Super Bowl is gravy, but honestly I'd rather see great football game after game.  That's the big reason I continue to love the New England Patriots under Belichick and keep my season tickets despite no longer living in New England.  This is a fabulous team to watch.  My biggest disappointment with them missing the Super Bowl is not that they don't have a chance at winning the Lombardi, but that I have one less Pats game to watch.  

[/QUOTE]

You live in Canada but keep your Patriots season tickets??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to FoonaFish's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good post. People don't comprehend statistics and probability.

If you put yourself in position to make the playoffs (even as a 6th seed) you have a chance of winning it all. The more opportunities you give yourself the greater the chance that over a span of X years you'll have a very good odds (> 50%) of winning it all at least once.

12 teams make the playoffs, if all were even going into the postseason, the odds of winning SB would be 1/12 or 8%.  If you make the playoffs for 10 years your odds of winning at least 1 SB would be 1 - (.92)^10 = 56%.

Now being a 1 or 2 seed each year and getting home games and not having a wild card game to play increases those odds, maybe > 90% of 1 SB win over 10 yrs. But point being it's not 100% chance. The key is to give yourself the opportunity each year. Pats have certainly done that.

Idiots who think "let's tank" so we get high pick... the difference between best and worst team in the draft is ONE pick (the #1 overall) over the course of the entire draft. That one player could be great or a bust. What are the odds that 1 player will make a difference in helping a team go from last place to in the superbowl the next year... very slim.

[/QUOTE]

It's hard to measure, of course, but all playoff teams don't have an equal chance of winning the championship in a particular year, and the difference in the odds isn't purely because of seeding and homefield advantage.  We're not just flipping perfectly balanced coins. With different talent levels, the coins are unbalanced, so one side will end up on top more often than the other.  Having more chances is good, of course, and it's the Belichick approach.  But if the odds of winning on those chances are lower than the odds of winning for many of the other playoff teams, you still may have poorer overall odds even with more chances. 

Simply put, your overall odds of winning at least one championship are higher if your team has a 1/10 chance of winning it all and makes the playoffs 3 years running than if your team has a 1/25 chance of winning it all and makes the playoffs 6 years running. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah . . . I go to about five home games a year.  My friends and relatives in New England get the remaining tickets . . . 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This falls under the category of "discussions you'll never see on a Jacksonville Jaguars message board" along with:

"I'm tired of our hall of fame quarterback, maybe we need to trade him?"

"How many times do we have to settle for losing the AFCCG?"

"Sure, three SBs is great, but it's been almost ten years, will we ever win again?"

"Great, another 12-4 season wasted."

"I hope it snows."

I'm sure we could come up with a few more. We don't have it so bad.

[/QUOTE]

Funny post

Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah . . . I go to about five home games a year.  My friends and relatives in New England get the remaining tickets . . . 

[/QUOTE]

5 out of the 8 home games....I'll give ya a tip of my hat on that. No small expense for you to do that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I never expected this team to do as well as they have.  How could I be disappointed with the results?  Wait till next year!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Seattle, San Fran, Denver, NE...these teams are all unworthy I guess (you know, the 4 fking teams that made up the champioship round?). One of them can be granted that status in a week, I suppose. Boy, I sure wish I was a fan of Pittsburgh right now. Or the Ravens, they look set up for the future. Indy is assured titles with Canton-Bound Luck, RIGHT?!?! I know lots of Giants fans living down here in CT...they're loving life right now...no really! Saints? Fun offense that many around here want, but they don't look too great heading into next season.

[/QUOTE]

Well I think the part I disagree with in this post is that you compared football to real life and it's not.

See in real life, sure getting a 90 compared to a 100 is good. Having one hair out of place is beyond meeting expectations, but in football (NFL football) you are only measured really by the Super Bowl - that is what Belichick says every year - and when you have the best coach and QB tandem in the league you expect to achieve that once in the last ten years...when you don't I find it disappointing and I know for a fact I'm in the majority on this (maybe not in this feel good forum, certainly not in this feel good thread) but out there in real world land, I am.

See I work all week, I have a family, I've got real world things to worry about just like everyone else. The Patriots are not my friends...Belichick is not my buddy, Tom Brady is not going to come over for my cookouts, so when I watch them on television I expect them to win...cold, I know.

Too me this is entertainment - a way to escape - and I expect to be entertained. See I don't care that some of these guy's take home pay is 300 thousand per week and I don't care that some of these guys take 6 months off a year to get to know Europe or Hawaii...as long as they win I'm fine with all of it.

So I expect a Super Bowl when they are capable of it....when the football gods drop a player like Tom Brady in our laps, I expect better than getting punched in the face in the playoffs the past ten years to teams that are built better. Sorry, but believe me Tom and Bill are not offended by my wild expectations, in fact they most likely feel the same way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

5 out of the 8 home games....I'll give ya a tip of my hat on that. No small expense for you to do that.

[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to wonder if it's too expensive.  May cut back next year.  But it is a good excuse to visit with friends and relatives as well as see the game.  Just have to shop for low airfare, since that's the main expense beside the tickets. (I try to use points for hotel or stay with people I know.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to wonder if it's too expensive.  May cut back next year.  But it is a good excuse to visit with friends and relatives as well as see the game.  Just have to shop for low airfare, since that's the main expense beside the tickets. (I try to use points for hotel or stay with people I know.)

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya...are you locked in up there? i, e, never coming back?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

T-Ball mentality......SPORTS are about WINNING!!  There's a reason why there's a TROPHY!!  There's a reason why they keep SCORE!! There's a reason why they keep STANDINGS!!  There's a reason why there's PLAYOFFS!! 

IT'S ALL ABOUT WINNING!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The Patriots have exceeded anyone's wildest expectations since Kraft bought the team. Or so one would think.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I remember a long time ago, my wishes were to see the Sox win a world series, and see the Pats make it to a superbowl! I loved watching the Pats when they were mediocre, and even when really any win was a surpise. Expectations ruin enjoyment.

I had more fun playing golf when I sucked than as a six handicap. When I sucked, one great golfshot and I felt great all week, as a low handicap, one bad hole can ruin your week. Expectations.

Sure, I want to see them win it all every year, but I know that just isn't possible, there are a lot of good teams out there. I think the Pats had a great year. I still can't believe the games they won with all of the injuries they had.

I think the Pats should have won both of their recent SB losses, but my only real dissapointment regarding the superbowl is that I really was hoping Brady would get a couple more rings. I'm still hoping.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya...are you locked in up there? i, e, never coming back?

[/QUOTE]

Not sure.  Right now, I'm pretty happy with my job and like living here too, but things could change.  If I were to come back to the states, New England (Maine, in particular) would be right at the top of the list of places I'd want to be.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well I think the part I disagree with in this post is that you compared football to real life and it's not.

See in real life, sure getting a 90 compared to a 100 is good. Having one hair out of place is beyond meeting expectations, but in football (NFL football) you are only measured really by the Super Bowl - that is what Belichick says every year - and when you have the best coach and QB tandem in the league you expect to achieve that once in the last ten years...when you don't I find it disappointing and I know for a fact I'm in the majority on this (maybe not in this feel good forum, certainly not in this feel good thread) but out there in real world land, I am.

See I work all week, I have a family, I've got real world things to worry about just like everyone else. The Patriots are not my friends...Belichick is not my buddy, Tom Brady is not going to come over for my cookouts, so when I watch them on television I expect them to win...cold, I know.

Too me this is entertainment - a way to escape - and I expect to be entertained. See I don't care that some of these guy's take home pay is 300 thousand per week and I don't care that some of these guys take 6 months off a year to get to know Europe or Hawaii...as long as they win I'm fine with all of it.

So I expect a Super Bowl when they are capable of it....when the football gods drop a player like Tom Brady in our laps, I expect better than getting punched in the face in the playoffs the past ten years to teams that are built better. Sorry, but believe me Tom and Bill are not offended by my wild expectations, in fact they most likely feel the same way.

+1

This isn't real life where your expectations need to be tempered. If they win or lose it doesn't affect my life other then the joy I get when they win and the very breif amount of sadness when they lose. It's like going out to see a movie. It's only entertainment in the end and you pay the price to see it but your expectations are based on the director and actors right? If you are going out to see a scyfy pick, lets say sharknado (aka the Jags) you aren't expecting very much now are you. If you going out to see Stallone flick (aka the Jets) it's never going to get an oscar but you know what to expect and sometimes it surprises you and sometimes it fails completely. If the you going to see a Lucas film from the early 80's your expectations are pretty high aren't they? Well the first 6 years of Brady's and BB's career are like episodes 4-6. They set our expectations high. Well the last 10 have been like episodes 1-3, at times they were exciting and building up and all the CG looked great but you were waiting for the final payoff. You were expecting fireworks, a great story, and great fight scenes and what you got was a lot of flash, not much of a story, and you left disappointed in the last 30mins with it ending flat.

When Brady and BB are gone the expectations will drop and we'll look just for a good fight on Sundays. But until then why is it wrong to hope for one more great movie before their careers end on a, if they only did this a little different note.

Btw, try asking a Bills fan of the early 90's if they enjoyed their 4 SB years and I will say all of them at the time would say exactly what you are saying but take the same fan today and I'm sure all of them would say, I would trade it all just to have that 1 SB victory. Enjoy it while it lastest because it fades quickly so don't begrudge others for seeing the window closing, realizing what's coming immediately after, and wish for just a little more then well we were always there and hey we won a bunch of games along the way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

bring back the aluminum benches, Victor Kiam and coach MacPherson...those were the days

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes. If Josh McD was HC and Mallet was our QB I would call the season a success if we somehow won the division or even made a playoff spot.

When we have the supposed GOATs at HC/GM/QB anything but rings are a failure.

10 years and no ring? a huge disappointment.

you want my expectations to lessen? get rid of BB & TB.

as long as these two are around anything but a ring is a disappointment.

both's legacies are taking a little hit by not winning anything in 10 years, sorry its true.

like i said put Mallet and MCD in there and I'll be happy with  8 wins.

but thats not the case. as long as TB and BB are running the show putting up 12 wins a year that needs to translate into rings

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if its championship or nothing then you'll never enjoy being a fan or the game itself...i am really looking forward to the SB and even have a rooting interest - with win at all costs or ur a "loser" mentality that would be impossible

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Some people think "It's all about winning", "Just win, baby", "Win at all costs".

Others lean towards "It's not all about winning, it's about how you play the game."

I like how the Pats play this game. The game being both on the field, and in the machinations off the field. THere is always bad to be had with the good. I will sure as heck take THIS bad with THIS good over anything else I can think of within reason.

Montana and the 49ers won in 81, 84, 88 and 89. Funny, I don't see fans running around whining about 85, 85 or 87 which were ONE AND DONES, or 90, where they won, then lost. Montana had 3 straight one and dones with that powerhouse team, but he's the greatest, unquestioned, all time playoff QB.

16-7 in the playoffs.

Brady is 18-8.

People complaining would have complained in the midst of the 49ers run as well.

People are watching the the Mona Lisa being painted right in front of them...and can't get past the imperfections. It's still a g d masterpiece.

In 03 and 04 the Patriots were REMARKABLY healthy. Look it up. If (when) they get that lucky again, they'll win again. Football, more than any other, is a sport of attrition. Belichick positions the Pats better than any other team in the league to combat that. Year after year. All I have to say to the Pats is: "Thank you, as you were."

Sections
Shortcuts