Less than a trophy a failure? Find a new hobby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Less than a trophy a failure? Find a new hobby

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well I think the part I disagree with in this post is that you compared football to real life and it's not.

See in real life, sure getting a 90 compared to a 100 is good. Having one hair out of place is beyond meeting expectations, but in football (NFL football) you are only measured really by the Super Bowl - that is what Belichick says every year - and when you have the best coach and QB tandem in the league you expect to achieve that once in the last ten years...when you don't I find it disappointing and I know for a fact I'm in the majority on this (maybe not in this feel good forum, certainly not in this feel good thread) but out there in real world land, I am.

See I work all week, I have a family, I've got real world things to worry about just like everyone else. The Patriots are not my friends...Belichick is not my buddy, Tom Brady is not going to come over for my cookouts, so when I watch them on television I expect them to win...cold, I know.

Too me this is entertainment - a way to escape - and I expect to be entertained. See I don't care that some of these guy's take home pay is 300 thousand per week and I don't care that some of these guys take 6 months off a year to get to know Europe or Hawaii...as long as they win I'm fine with all of it.

So I expect a Super Bowl when they are capable of it....when the football gods drop a player like Tom Brady in our laps, I expect better than getting punched in the face in the playoffs the past ten years to teams that are built better. Sorry, but believe me Tom and Bill are not offended by my wild expectations, in fact they most likely feel the same way.

+1

This isn't real life where your expectations need to be tempered. If they win or lose it doesn't affect my life other then the joy I get when they win and the very breif amount of sadness when they lose. It's like going out to see a movie. It's only entertainment in the end and you pay the price to see it but your expectations are based on the director and actors right? If you are going out to see a scyfy pick, lets say sharknado (aka the Jags) you aren't expecting very much now are you. If you going out to see Stallone flick (aka the Jets) it's never going to get an oscar but you know what to expect and sometimes it surprises you and sometimes it fails completely. If the you going to see a Lucas film from the early 80's your expectations are pretty high aren't they? Well the first 6 years of Brady's and BB's career are like episodes 4-6. They set our expectations high. Well the last 10 have been like episodes 1-3, at times they were exciting and building up and all the CG looked great but you were waiting for the final payoff. You were expecting fireworks, a great story, and great fight scenes and what you got was a lot of flash, not much of a story, and you left disappointed in the last 30mins with it ending flat.

When Brady and BB are gone the expectations will drop and we'll look just for a good fight on Sundays. But until then why is it wrong to hope for one more great movie before their careers end on a, if they only did this a little different note.

Btw, try asking a Bills fan of the early 90's if they enjoyed their 4 SB years and I will say all of them at the time would say exactly what you are saying but take the same fan today and I'm sure all of them would say, I would trade it all just to have that 1 SB victory. Enjoy it while it lastest because it fades quickly so don't begrudge others for seeing the window closing, realizing what's coming immediately after, and wish for just a little more then well we were always there and hey we won a bunch of games along the way.

Exaclty, which is why I'm not all excited about getting beat up in the playoffs by better teams right now, because that is what we are getting beat by...better teams. I think there will most certainly come a time when Brady and Belichick are gone that we will wish they had gone for it a little more over the last decade we had them. When Belichick and Brady are gone you can bet this "value" approach to everything will be thrown out the window...why? Because we won't be winning and that empire the Krafts built down there at Patriot Place may end up looking like a ghost town. Watch what happens then...there will be big name free agent signings..there will be lavish press conferences...anything to get people back into the seats. You won't see us going after some of the guys we went after the last 5 years in free agency, because we won't be able to rely on Brady to win games...things will be much different.

And THEN my expectations will be lower. I will be happy to just make the playoffs as a wild card team and go one and done. Hell I remember when Bledsoe first made the playoffs and lost to Belichick (Belichick's only playoff victory as a head coach before he got his hands on Brady)...I was excited we got there. I was happy with just that little bit of success, I expect more now. I have two kids, one of them is a straight A student, when she gets a 85 it is a dissapointment to her...when my son get's a 85 we celebrate. That's just the way it goes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well I think the part I disagree with in this post is that you compared football to real life and it's not.

See in real life, sure getting a 90 compared to a 100 is good. Having one hair out of place is beyond meeting expectations, but in football (NFL football) you are only measured really by the Super Bowl - that is what Belichick says every year - and when you have the best coach and QB tandem in the league you expect to achieve that once in the last ten years...when you don't I find it disappointing and I know for a fact I'm in the majority on this (maybe not in this feel good forum, certainly not in this feel good thread) but out there in real world land, I am.

See I work all week, I have a family, I've got real world things to worry about just like everyone else. The Patriots are not my friends...Belichick is not my buddy, Tom Brady is not going to come over for my cookouts, so when I watch them on television I expect them to win...cold, I know.

Too me this is entertainment - a way to escape - and I expect to be entertained. See I don't care that some of these guy's take home pay is 300 thousand per week and I don't care that some of these guys take 6 months off a year to get to know Europe or Hawaii...as long as they win I'm fine with all of it.

So I expect a Super Bowl when they are capable of it....when the football gods drop a player like Tom Brady in our laps, I expect better than getting punched in the face in the playoffs the past ten years to teams that are built better. Sorry, but believe me Tom and Bill are not offended by my wild expectations, in fact they most likely feel the same way.

yes. If Josh McD was HC and Mallet was our QB I would call the season a success if we somehow won the division or even made a playoff spot.

When we have the supposed GOATs at HC/GM/QB anything but rings are a failure.

10 years and no ring? a huge disappointment.

you want my expectations to lessen? get rid of BB & TB.

as long as these two are around anything but a ring is a disappointment.

both's legacies are taking a little hit by not winning anything in 10 years, sorry its true.

like i said put Mallet and MCD in there and I'll be happy with  8 wins.

but thats not the case. as long as TB and BB are running the show putting up 12 wins a year that needs to translate into rings

I feel the same way, I really do. If Mallett was our starter and we went into full rebuild mode I'd be happy with 8 wins...maybe a wild card spot, etc, but that is not the case.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

We have some spoiled pink hats in our fanbase, and it's a disgrace. Some of them clearly were never around during the Sullivan/Kiam years.

Mt Hurl, SHizzles, Babe, Pezzy, we know TFB12 bandwagoned here just a few years back, etc.

It's why other fans don't like Pats fans.  Many come off entitled and act like the organization was not a laughingstock for so long.

how can u say this the way u make a fool of urself crapping on Tom Brady?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

We have some spoiled pink hats in our fanbase, and it's a disgrace. Some of them clearly were never around during the Sullivan/Kiam years.

Mt Hurl, SHizzles, Babe, Pezzy, we know TFB12 bandwagoned here just a few years back, etc.

It's why other fans don't like Pats fans.  Many come off entitled and act like the organization was not a laughingstock for so long.

Dude, believe me when I tell you people don't like Pats fans because of fans like you.  Agenda driven, call out all other teams and players yet can not find fault in the obvious shortcomings of your own team.  Dude, you are pathetic.

In response to TFB12's comment:

Dude, believe me when I tell you people don't like Pats fans because of fans like you.  Agenda driven, call out all other teams and players yet can not find fault in the obvious shortcomings of your own team.  Dude, you are pathetic.

DING DING DING DING! YOU HAVE CHOSEN THE RIGHT ANSWER AND ARE TODAY'S WINNER! CLAIM YOUR PRIZE NOW! YOU GET A CHOICE OF A DATE WITH THE SUPERMODEL OF YOUR CHOICE IN PARIS OR LUNCH WITH RUSTY AT YOUR LOCAL FAST FOOD ESTABLISHMENT! CONGRATULATIONS!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

This is just entertainment for me.  Am I disappointed when the Pats lose?  I guess so.  My wife can't stand to be around me right after a loss.  

I have to say that I have been thoroughly entertained ever since Kraft took over this team.  Sure beats the times before that.  Yeah, they had a few good years here and there before but nothing like what we have been witnessing the last 13 years.

Already looking forward to next year.  This team is overdue for some luck injury-wise.

Who will be added via free-agency, the draft or trade?

Who will be re-signed and who will not?

Make no mistake though, once again this team will be one of the best next season and like I said, with a little luck on the injury front they could go all the way.

Yes, we have a lot of entitled fans who think every season is a failure if they don't win the Superbowl.

That's their prerogative.  If they like being miserable all the time fine. They're usually the one's who can't even enjoy a win.

In response to Salcon's comment:

This is just entertainment for me.  Am I disappointed when the Pats lose?  I guess so.  My wife can't stand to be around me right after a loss.  

I have to say that I have been thoroughly entertained ever since Kraft took over this team.  Sure beats the times before that.  Yeah, they had a few good years here and there before but nothing like what we have been witnessing the last 13 years.

Already looking forward to next year.  This team is overdue for some luck injury-wise.

Make no mistake though, once again this team will be one of the best next season and like I said, with a little luck on the injury front theyld go all the way.

Yes, we have a lot of entitled fans who think every season is a failure if they don't win the Superbowl.

That's their prerogative.  If they like being miserable all the time fine. They're usually the one's who can't even enjoy a win.

your last sentence is very true...in fact they probably never enjoy anything

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

"Remember what Vince Lombardi said. If you lose, you're out of the family!" - Homer Simpson 

In response to 42AND46's comment:

how can u say this the way u make a fool of urself crapping on Tom Brady?

Hahaha, constantly bashes the teams greatest player of all time... Acts like Patriots defense is the 1985 Chicago Bears.

FAIL

His Jealousy of TFB is obvious!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Non-Pats fans are rejoicing when Brady chokes and you still can't see it. You also CLEARLY have no friends who are non Pats fans because if you did, you'd at least acknowledge them ribbing you about his last 4 AFC Title games and utter garbage performances.

I have plenty of non-Pats fans friends and the thing they scoffed about the most was the s**tbag defense BB has rolled out there for the past 5 years. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I love to enjoy a W but in the big scheme, SBs are what will cemet BB and TB's legacies.

Anyway, fake fans are annoying

BB would have fizzled out if he went to NY because Tom Brady wasn't there. How can you call a guy a defensive genius that just gave up 500 yards in the AFC championship? Even with injuries a "genius" would figure out a way to slow them down. His pizz poor defense can't generate any pass rush or force turnovers or quick punts in playoff games against quality opponents. Yeah, what a genius.

Your pantstent for him is what is CREEPY.

In response to TFB12's comment:

What is my agenda?  Get a dictionary. Agenda?  Stop using my words.  You don't even know how to use them. I am an honest, passionate and objective fan. That's it.

Frontrunner and awkward bandwagon fans like you who think the whole team is about Brady and his stats, are a joke and not welcome here.  Christ, ever since our fanbase took on bandwagoners like you, we haven't won anything.  You're a jinx and a loser.

People laugh at you behind your back, you just don't know it.  lol

Non-Pats fans are rejoicing when Brady chokes and you still can't see it. You also CLEARLY have no friends who are non Pats fans because if you did, you'd at least acknowledge them ribbing you about his last 4 AFC Title games and utter garbage performances.

He;s mocked for being a pretty boy, whipped and a crybaby and you don't even know it. And, real fans have nothing to say because it's the truth.  He go this nuts clipped off by Giselle and he sucks now in the postseason.

Season tickets in my family since 1978.  What about you?  Were you at the first ever home AFC title game in Pats history? No, you weren't.

Pack up that bandwagon, boy. You're bad luck since 2007. LMAO

Your agenda... Push everything BB does as the greatest moves ever.

You take a beating on here every day of the week, believe me when I say you are the most laughed at poster on this forum.

"Non-Pats fans are rejoicing when Brady chokes and you still can't see it."

Haha!  Of course they are.  Fans of other teams are extremely jealous of his success.  What is your problem?  Do you have a problem with white males who are succesful on and off the feild?  How many SB's do the Pats have without Brady?  How many SB's does BB as head coach have without Brady? 

Dude, I have tons of friends who are 49er and Raider fans.. They don't rib me about Brady, they rib me about BB not giving Brady the tools he deserves.  They also rib me about the horrible Pats defense.  Of course the Raider fans don't tease much but the 49er fans sure do.

Family members holding season tickets have no bearing on fanism.  I am sure I am a bigger Pats fan then many who have family members holding season tickets.  Your argument is weak. 

Pats have won 3 SB's and been to 2 more since I have been in their corner.  Maybe your family is just plain bad luck.  Tell them to get rid of their season tickets so the Pats can win some more SB's, lol!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I"ve heard this argument a lot lately (past few years), and actually had this very argument with my own father, who tends to play devil's advocate to get a reaction. Well, he did.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that if anything LESS than winning it all is a failure, and it's going to cause so much aggravation and anger...find a new hobby. Seriously. Having such unrealistic expectations for anything is foolish.

Does your child get punished for less than a 4.0?

Do you send back your meal if it isn't PERFECTLY cooked to order?

Are you that person that complains about a single water spot on a glass?

Do you stand in front of the mirror until every single strand of hair is exactly where it should be?

To look back at ten years and say, "It's kind of disappointing they couldn't win a ring over that impressive span" is perfectly reasonable. 

To start to paint the past ten years as a disappointment, or even more absurd, a failure? Well, seriously, your standards and expectations have grown out of control, and you should really seek out a new form of entertainment because, well, if those are your expectations, I can't imagine how watching football is actually fun, unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Maybe some of you don't remember the 80s or early (or late) 90s. Sure, getting a high draft pick is fun...but the season leading into certainly IS NOT. You don't EVER give up the chance for sustained success the Patriots have fought for.

Steelers, Colts, Giants, Saints, Packers, Ravens. That represents your winners for the past 8 years. SO there are 6 worthy teams, and 26 scrubs in the league, right? Pats won it NINE years ago (2/5/05), so stick that in your decade and suck it, and least get the FACTS straight.

Seattle, San Fran, Denver, NE...these teams are all unworthy I guess (you know, the 4 fking teams that made up the champioship round?). One of them can be granted that status in a week, I suppose. Boy, I sure wish I was a fan of Pittsburgh right now. Or the Ravens, they look set up for the future. Indy is assured titles with Canton-Bound Luck, RIGHT?!?! I know lots of Giants fans living down here in CT...they're loving life right now...no really! Saints? Fun offense that many around here want, but they don't look too great heading into next season.

Best franchise in sports today is NE.  I watch them because they are an amazing team, and they will win again...soon.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Make no mistake though, once again this team will be one of the best next season and like I said, with a little luck on the injury front they could go all the way.

I think that's where the misconception is. Personally I don't consider a playoff lose a failure unless they didn't put up a fight and/or lost because holes in the offseason weren't addressed. To me that feels like a wasted year when we have the best QB/coach duo in history. Any time they lose because of lack of talent I feel the FO didn't do it's job, if they completely got out coached (again greatest coach ever shouldn't get out coached that bad) if feel disappointed the coaching staff didn't do it's job, or if the players didn't perform AND they were more talented then the other team I feel it was a failure. You can't win them all but doesn't mean hey we made it is good enough when there is more they could have done. If they did everything they could and still lost, well it happens but when there is more they could have done then there was more they left on the table. However, that doesn't mean people like me are miserable all the time nor it doesn't mean we don't enjoy the wins but it does mean we know this run we are having has a finite life and don't wanted it wasted because they decided to plan for tomorrow instead of living for today. To me that's like putting off a trip to Hawaii to climb the mountians when you're younger and camping in NH instead and then when you turn 65 and finally take that trip you find yourself without enough energy to do everything you wanted to when you were younger and regret not going sooner.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

BB would have fizzled out if he went to NY because Tom Brady wasn't there. How can you call a guy a defensive genius that just gave up 500 yards in the AFC championship? Even with injuries a "genius" would figure out a way to slow them down. His pizz poor defense can't generate any pass rush or force turnovers or quick punts in playoff games against quality opponents. Yeah, what a genius.

Your pantstent for him is what is CREEPY.

No one with a brain should care about yards allowed in the Goodell Era. It's borderline meaningless unless the points allowed are relative to those yards.

Actually Rusty, the ordinary stat that correlates most strongly with scoring is yards per pass play.  Odd, isn't that?  Yards per play has a strong correlation too, but not as strong as yards per pass play.  Overall yards has a pretty good correlation with scoring, but not as strong as yards per play and, especially, yards per pass play.  

NEs red zone D held to 4 FGs, which is 12 points.  Not TDs, FGs. Against an offense like that, tthe highest scoring OF ALL TIME, that's nothing to sneeze at, especially as shorthanded as they were, Bustchise.

You've got the most decimated defense in NFL history up agains the best scoring offense in NFL history. 26 points with ref bagjob calls? I'll take it.

Tack on a pathetic hold on Logan Ryan for one of Denver's TD drives and yet again, the defense was victimized by Goodell's NFL.  

So, as a very knowledgeable fan, I don't care about that. I know what happened and know what I saw.  I saw FGs being allowed, not TDs, so those are wins.

Take away that TD drive and ref help for Denver after the phantom holding by Logan Ryan, and the joke of a call on Hooman, taking NE out of FG range, and that's a 10 point swing.

What did we lose by? 10 points.

Points. Scoreboard. No educated NFL fan cares about the aftermath of stats that don't really tell the story.

Meaningless.  

• Sections
    Shortcuts