Let me just sum this up real quick....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Re: Let me just sum this up real quick....

Back off the ledge man, it'll be ok lol. I'm shocked how many threads there are bashing BB (not saying this one is). Granted the coaching was pi$$poor yesterday but come on. Maybe there's just something about the Steelers at Halloween. Last time Brady lost to Buffalo they won the Super Bowl and the last time that Brady lost to Pittsburgh they won the Super Bowl! Good omen for those of you that are superstitious Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Why is my reply above the original post? Weird

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Let me just sum this up real quick....

I have holded off saying this because i dont want to ruin anyones fantasy or lower expectations.  The fact is football is a very simple sport and we try too hard to analyze things all the time when somethings require simple thinking.

This is the Formula that you all need to know

Brady's Contract + Bad Drafting = NO SUPERBOWL WIN

I have kept that very important info to myself for a while now because every now and then you watch a game and get that itch again, thinking "ok, this team has promise" and then every once in a while, a team smacks reality into you.  Not just the fact that our defense is a like a 2 swinging ok corral doors, we have  a coach who all of a sudden turns loopy in Big games like someone is spiking his coffee w/acid.

I'm sorry, but the only team that can win it all while investing a huge amount of money into one player are the ones who can draft well.  Free Agency is a must as well.

Last 2 free agents, TBC and Bodden were stopgap players who never should have been extended...and now more setbacks...at this rate, by the time Bill uses that 1st round pick on the ever elusive game changing defensive player  Brady will have retired and the show will be over....

sorry to break it to you, but I would love to hear the rebuttals on how the formula is gonna work and why and what other formula you think it is...  It is what it is...Brady last deal was more about ticket sales and keeping Gillette filled than it was about winning a SB. Kraft has 3 rings.  20 years ago he probably never dreamt it.

He told BIll, once we sign Brady, you are gonna have to get creative on defense and Bill has came up short and is running out of idea's.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

How about this thought...   The Ravens are ALWAYS in the discussion about having a great D and they haven't returned to the SB since the 2000 season, let alone the AFCCG, I believe.  What is worse? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Let me just sum this up real quick....:
    How about this thought...   The Ravens are ALWAYS in the discussion about having a great D and they haven't returned to the SB since the 2000 season, let alone the AFCCG, I believe.  What is worse? 
    Posted by agcsbill

Touche! It's just simply worse that it's the other team that's winning the SB Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

There is nothing wrong with our team that a few better players can't fix. How about a monster pass rushing LB and a world class deep threat for starters?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Draft is funny.  We got two of the best "arguably" TE's that have come out in Gronk and Hernandez.  Now you tell me, if used the same philospohy as they do with defensive players they never would ahve drafted these guys.  Hernandez would have been considered a tweener, (e.g. not a true TE and not a wide out.  Gronk would have ahd questions.  Moral is the Pat's need to draft guys that make the big plays instead of trading down for "value". 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Let me just sum this up real quick....:
    I have holded off saying this because i dont want to ruin anyones fantasy or lower expectations.  The fact is football is a very simple sport and we try too hard to analyze things all the time when somethings require simple thinking. This is the Formula that you all need to know Brady's Contract + Bad Drafting = NO SUPERBOWL WIN I have kept that very important info to myself for a while now because every now and then you watch a game and get that itch again, thinking "ok, this team has promise" and then every once in a while, a team smacks reality into you.  Not just the fact that our defense is a like a 2 swinging ok corral doors, we have  a coach who all of a sudden turns loopy in Big games like someone is spiking his coffee w/acid. I'm sorry, but the only team that can win it all while investing a huge amount of money into one player are the ones who can draft well.  Free Agency is a must as well. Last 2 free agents, TBC and Bodden were stopgap players who never should have been extended...and now more setbacks...at this rate, by the time Bill uses that 1st round pick on the ever elusive game changing defensive player  Brady will have retired and the show will be over.... sorry to break it to you, but I would love to hear the rebuttals on how the formula is gonna work and why and what other formula you think it is...  It is what it is...Brady last deal was more about ticket sales and keeping Gillette filled than it was about winning a SB. Kraft has 3 rings.  20 years ago he probably never dreamt it. He told BIll, once we sign Brady, you are gonna have to get creative on defense and Bill has came up short and is running out of idea's.....
    Posted by JayShizzle45

That sounds about right...in terms of the math equation.

I don't see any way we could have avoided the 1st half of the equation (Brady's contract)...However, the 2nd half of the equation (Drafting) is where we have failed miserably. I have already documented my feelings on this, and have provided many a stat to back it up in terms of our drafting performance since 2005. And if Russ reads this, I'm not talking about 2010. I'm talking about the other 5 years, and the period 2005-2010 as a whole.

TBC and Bodden were bad extensions. I don't think we knew on Bodden until this year after he returned from injury, but TBC we knew plenty about. We have also seen musical chairs at WR since we lost Branch the 1st time, and I would add Gaffney to that list as well. Both of those guys should have been retained, instead we had Caldwell receiving passes from Brady, the Gabriel, Galloway and insert name here experience.
    Add the Chad jackson snafu, and that set us back some, plus the merry go round at CB, our inability to find Seymour's replacement (which we still haven't done), Maroney who was supposed to be our franchise back, Meriweather our franchise safety, no replacements for Vrabel, McGinest, etc. and things start to pile up.

My point is..it's not 1 or 2 or even 3 things why we are where we are, it's a comedy of errors, poor scouting, poor drafting when we had argubaly the most number of picks in rounds 1-3 since 2005, that set us back.
    Again, if Russ wants to mention all the great UDFA and 7th rounders we found then great....you don't build  SB caliber team with the Gary Guyton's of the world. The cream of the crop is obtained in those first 3 rounds, not UDFA, and we had plenty of ammunition to grab quality, we just didn't execute.
    And as far as people saying BB is the "genius of the draft", I don't buy it. He looks like an vegas gambler out there parlaying picks, taking plenty of risk on injured players, and reaching almost every time, when the good pick is right in front of him and often times, made by other teams.

I will say BB is a defensive genius however. It's amazing he can get a somewhat decent level of play from time to time with the rotting groceries he has stockpiled in the defensive kitchen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Posted by agcsbill

That's because they have the other issue - a consistent and great defense but no offense. Neither team is Super Bowl worthy as currently constituted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Let me just sum this up real quick.... : That sounds about right...in terms of the math equation. I don't see any way we could have avoided the 1st half of the equation (Brady's contract)...However, the 2nd half of the equation (Drafting) is where we have failed miserably. I have already documented my feelings on this, and have provided many a stat to back it up in terms of our drafting performance since 2005. And if Russ reads this, I'm not talking about 2010. I'm talking about the other 5 years, and the period 2005-2010 as a whole. TBC and Bodden were bad extensions. I don't think we knew on Bodden until this year after he returned from injury, but TBC we knew plenty about. We have also seen musical chairs at WR since we lost Branch the 1st time, and I would add Gaffney to that list as well. Both of those guys should have been retained, instead we had Caldwell receiving passes from Brady, the Gabriel, Galloway and insert name here experience. Add the Chad jackson snafu, and that set us back some, plus the merry go round at CB, our inability to find Seymour's replacement (which we still haven't done), Maroney who was supposed to be our franchise back, Meriweather our franchise safety, no replacements for Vrabel, McGinest, etc. and things start to pile up. My point is..it's not 1 or 2 or even 3 things why we are where we are, it's a comedy of errors, poor scouting, poor drafting when we had argubaly the most number of picks in rounds 1-3 since 2005, that set us back. Again, if Russ wants to mention all the great UDFA and 7th rounders we found then great....you don't build  SB caliber team with the Gary Guyton's of the world. The cream of the crop is obtained in those first 3 rounds, not UDFA, and we had plenty of ammunition to grab quality, we just didn't execute. And as far as people saying BB is the "genius of the draft", I don't buy it. He looks like an vegas gambler out there parlaying picks, taking plenty of risk on injured players, and reaching almost every time, when the good pick is right in front of him and often times, made by other teams. I will say BB is a defensive genius however. It's amazing he can get a somewhat decent level of play from time to time with the rotting groceries he has stockpiled in the defensive kitchen.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Its about time to at least question the "genius" tag. Their defense has stunk for several years now. He was a "genius" when he had Lawrence Taylor playing for him. No Taylors on this team for years now.

The bigger issue is his tremendous and continuous failure over the last 7 to 10 years to restock the defense with TALENT. He's had plenty of draft choices to work with by trading out of the first round (or down). He has not identified defensive TALENT with those extra picks. It's fair to challenge whether his philosophy is valid. Would we be better off had we chosen first round defensive talent, or packaged picks to move up for first round defensive talent? That's the big unknown. But what is known is his philosophy has failed miserably to produce a top notch defense. So much for the "genius" at work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The thing that bugs me about this team is that we're not that far off and really we haven't been far off for a few years, yet we don't get the remaining pieces. We need a front seven dominant player to add to Wilfork and Mayo. They have passed on this time after time again. They need a deep threat, why did they trade and sign Ocho Cinco? They had to of known that at 33 he wasn't going to provide that! It just baffles me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: Let me just sum this up real quick.... : Its about time to at least question the "genius" tag. Their defense has stunk for several years now. He was a "genius" when he had Lawrence Taylor playing for him. No Taylors on this team for years now. The bigger issue is his tremendous and continuous failure over the last 7 to 10 years to restock the defense with TALENT . He's had plenty of draft choices to work with by trading out of the first round (or down). He has not identified defensive TALENT with those extra picks. It's fair to challenge whether his philosophy is valid. Would we be better off had we chosen first round defensive talent, or packaged picks to move up for first round defensive talent? That's the big unknown. But what is known is his philosophy has failed miserably to produce a top notch defense. So much for the "genius" at work.
    Posted by sml1210

Yes, and he didn't draft LT, Parcells did.  Parcells built that team, BB coached them up.  Fact - BB's defense has relied on the offense to outscore opponents, but at playoff time, they're exposed.  This has got to be the worst of the worst, as I have said since week 1.  Just look at the defensive line, Wilfork and the rest are castoffs and fill ins that no other team wanted.  Top notch defense, ha, he's molded the worst in the league.  Eli Manning threw 45 passes yesterday, he'll throw that many at least next week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

There is nothing wrong with our team that a few better players can't fix. How about a monster pass rushing LB and a world class deep threat for starters?
    Posted by BabeParilli

problem is we arent willing to draft them, and if we were, we wouldnt be able to make the right choice.

our whole draft team needs to be changed and drastically improved.
    we need a gm and  a great oc and dc.

then maybe the team will change.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Let me just sum this up real quick.... : That sounds about right...in terms of the math equation. I don't see any way we could have avoided the 1st half of the equation (Brady's contract)...However, the 2nd half of the equation (Drafting) is where we have failed miserably. I have already documented my feelings on this, and have provided many a stat to back it up in terms of our drafting performance since 2005. And if Russ reads this, I'm not talking about 2010. I'm talking about the other 5 years, and the period 2005-2010 as a whole. TBC and Bodden were bad extensions. I don't think we knew on Bodden until this year after he returned from injury, but TBC we knew plenty about. We have also seen musical chairs at WR since we lost Branch the 1st time, and I would add Gaffney to that list as well. Both of those guys should have been retained, instead we had Caldwell receiving passes from Brady, the Gabriel, Galloway and insert name here experience. Add the Chad jackson snafu, and that set us back some, plus the merry go round at CB, our inability to find Seymour's replacement (which we still haven't done), Maroney who was supposed to be our franchise back, Meriweather our franchise safety, no replacements for Vrabel, McGinest, etc. and things start to pile up. My point is..it's not 1 or 2 or even 3 things why we are where we are, it's a comedy of errors, poor scouting, poor drafting when we had argubaly the most number of picks in rounds 1-3 since 2005, that set us back. Again, if Russ wants to mention all the great UDFA and 7th rounders we found then great....you don't build  SB caliber team with the Gary Guyton's of the world. The cream of the crop is obtained in those first 3 rounds, not UDFA, and we had plenty of ammunition to grab quality, we just didn't execute. And as far as people saying BB is the "genius of the draft", I don't buy it. He looks like an vegas gambler out there parlaying picks, taking plenty of risk on injured players, and reaching almost every time, when the good pick is right in front of him and often times, made by other teams. I will say BB is a defensive genius however. It's amazing he can get a somewhat decent level of play from time to time with the rotting groceries he has stockpiled in the defensive kitchen.
    Posted by PatsLifer

totally agree and have posted the same for a year. 
    and there seems to more an addiction to the trades and getting more picks as an ends in itself instead of a means.

and if you are so afraid of making the wrong pick, i can see how that addiction might develop, not that it is a good thing.

we need to change our drafting team from top to bottom.

and a gm and a great oc and dc (off and def coordinator).

let bb focus on being the best coach in football.

problem is kraft's fear is in the way of losing bb (therefore afraids to act).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

The thing that bugs me about this team is that we're not that far off and really we haven't been far off for a few years, yet we don't get the remaining pieces. We need a front seven dominant player to add to Wilfork and Mayo. They have passed on this time after time again. They need a deep threat, why did they trade and sign Ocho Cinco? They had to of known that at 33 he wasn't going to provide that! It just baffles me.
    Posted by mthurl

You pretty much nailed it right there. So damn close but we don't get the pieces we need. I'm a huge kool-aid chugger but this loss was disheartening. If we go one and done again in the playoffs can we agree that major structural changes are needed. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted 6-7 defensive players next year. Ask yourself how the Steelers can have a LB squad like that who are all paid BIG money!!!  I just want one LB like that!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

shizzle...thanks for sharing ...however your own sign-off logo ... "Its not how you get here, Its what you DO here" does represent why TB was rewarded with a great contract that he deserves as to 'what he does here'? NO?

Have you forgotten about the other mind boggling  contracts issued to Romo and all the others? What have they earned?

I do agree with the next part of your equation...Brady's Contract + Bad Drafting = NO SUPERBOWL WIN

The not drafting well by Belichick for the most part has been wasted, particularly by a defensive genious. Too many CB and safeties gone bad plus the many WR, LB wasted picks. Yes, this must be a concern for the owner MR. Kraft.

I think the new NFL bargaining agreement will change the philosophy of the Pats draft board of always trading down for value. Then I think we will see again the playmakers we have missed since Willy, Tedy, Ty, Rodney, Ted J, .... the game difference makers.

Wishing you well ...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

shizzle...thanks for sharing ...however your own sign-off logo ... "Its not how you get here, Its what you DO here" does represent why TB was rewarded with a great contract that he deserves as to 'what he does here'? NO? Have you forgotten about the other mind boggling  contracts issued to Romo and all the others? What have they earned? I do agree with the next part of your equation...Brady's Contract + Bad Drafting = NO SUPERBOWL WIN The not drafting well by Belichick for the most part has been wasted, particularly by a defensive genious. Too many CB and safeties gone bad plus the many WR, LB wasted picks. Yes, this must be a concern for the owner MR. Kraft. I think the new NFL bargaining agreement will change the philosophy of the Pats draft board of always trading down for value. Then I think we will see again the playmakers we have missed since Willy, Tedy, Ty, Rodney, Ted J, .... the game difference makers. Wishing you well ...
    Posted by palookaski

this is what i was hoping for too.  those high draft picks werent cheap in years past, but they had alot of value this year.  it will be interesting what the philosophy will look like the next few years in the draft... the sad part is it will then be a few years after that before the pieces are actually coming together

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

They seem to be missing difference makers at a few positions.  I think the biggest criticism I have of this team is that it lacks playmakers.  That's not to say that finding guys who can change a game is easy to do, because we all know it's not...   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Let me just sum this up real quick.... : First, I think you generally come with some decent and logical opinions. But to say Brady is a "game manager" is doing him a great disservice and a smack in the face to us Pats fans. Brady is much more than a game manager. He might not have all the stats Gomer has, but he has won many an important game for this team over the years when everything was on the line. You saw what he was capable of in 07' with some offensive talent..you know, the kind Gomer had his whole career with Reggie Wayne, Harrison, Clark, etc... It's like calling Gomer "Captain Choke". Great in the regular season, terrible in the playoffs. Not completely true right? Gomer didn't have the Pats D early in the decade did he? If he did, then what? The players are still listening, and BB has this team. The problem is talent. Lack of talent at key positions is costing this team, and exposing our weaknesses. BB like you said and I said had sufficient time to restock via the draft and FA. For whatever reason he hasn't been successful at this in some time.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lifer - a game manager is not what Brady is, it's what Brady was.  What he did more times than not was put vinatieri in a position to either win or tie the game.  The D never let the team get behind by more than 3 points. 

As the d started to deteriorate, the pats knew that Brady could handle more and they started giving him more.  Now he's Manning and in his last 3 playoff games with weapons galore, he's come up woefully short.  Its not all his fault.  He can't do everything.  Neither can Manning, especially when the games get tougher and the D's get better in the playoffs.  Its unfair to require a QB to be perfect in order for a team to win, but I guess that's what the big paydays cause. 

Brady's excellence (just like Manning's) puts an enormous amount of pressure on a team to win.  Yet his contract and the other large contracts - Wilfork, Mankins, and those coming - Welker, Mayo, Vollmer, make me wonder if Belichick would prefer to start over from scratch. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Shiz has a point and it is similar to what I wrote on another thread yesterday and again today. 

Think about it.  First, Belichick inherited a number of key players that were critical to the pats SB success.   Bledsoe (don't forget he won one of those playoff games), Woody, Brown, Faulk, McGinest, Bruschi, Mitchell, Law, Milloy, Johnson, Jones, Vinatieri.

Belichick and his FO also managed to hit on some of their early decade defensive picks and FA acquisitions.  Vrabel, Seymour, Harrison, Samuel, Wilson, Wilfork, Warren. 

He also picked up a 6th rounder that turned out to be a perfect game manager.  So perfect that his stats were insignificant enough to allow the team to negotiate a very club friendly contract. 

Today, the club friendly contract is gone.  The inherited players are gone, and defensive draft hits and FA acquisitions are limited.  Mayo.  McCourty (maybe), Chung (maybe). 

I think the facts are that the pats hit some unexpected jackpots on personnel early in the decade, and Belichick being the great coach he is, coached them up very well. 

Well, the talent isn't there any longer and neither is the money.  I wonder if the players aren't listening like they used to.  I wonder if Belichick is wondering if new scenery might be better.  I wonder if Belichick looks at Brady like he did Bledsoe. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

shizzle...thanks for sharing ...however your own sign-off logo ... "Its not how you get here, Its what you DO here" does represent why TB was rewarded with a great contract that he deserves as to 'what he does here'? NO? Have you forgotten about the other mind boggling  contracts issued to Romo and all the others? What have they earned? I do agree with the next part of your equation...Brady's Contract + Bad Drafting = NO SUPERBOWL WIN The not drafting well by Belichick for the most part has been wasted, particularly by a defensive genious. Too many CB and safeties gone bad plus the many WR, LB wasted picks. Yes, this must be a concern for the owner MR. Kraft. I think the new NFL bargaining agreement will change the philosophy of the Pats draft board of always trading down for value. Then I think we will see again the playmakers we have missed since Willy, Tedy, Ty, Rodney, Ted J, .... the game difference makers. Wishing you well ...
    Posted by palookaski

Of the 5 difference makers you mentioned, only one was drafted by Belichick.  One was acquired by Belichick.  All others were inherited. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

bab(e)
    actually we are 5-2 and in first place...   you could be a fish fan...overseen recently by one of your gods pantload parcells...

your points have merit...but your too much like the other chicken littles....on this blog...    the sky isnt falling....its just cloudy today....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

It really does go back to their draft strategy of getting "value" rather then drafting "impact" players (the trading down theory).  They don't have any true disruptive, playmakers on D.  Guys that can change the game on their own.

I truly hope this year with the 2 1's and 2 2's again they trade UP and not DOWN to get some impact players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Shiz has a point and it is similar to what I wrote on another thread yesterday and again today.  Think about it.  First, Belichick inherited a number of key players that were critical to the pats SB success.   Bledsoe (don't forget he won one of those playoff games), Woody, Brown, Faulk, McGinest, Bruschi, Mitchell, Law, Milloy, Johnson, Jones, Vinatieri. Belichick and his FO also managed to hit on some of their early decade defensive picks and FA acquisitions.  Vrabel, Seymour, Harrison, Samuel, Wilson, Wilfork, Warren.  He also picked up a 6th rounder that turned out to be a perfect game manager.  So perfect that his stats were insignificant enough to allow the team to negotiate a very club friendly contract.  Today, the club friendly contract is gone.  The inherited players are gone, and defensive draft hits and FA acquisitions are limited.  Mayo.  McCourty (maybe), Chung (maybe).  I think the facts are that the pats hit some unexpected jackpots on personnel early in the decade, and Belichick being the great coach he is, coached them up very well.  Well, the talent isn't there any longer and neither is the money.  I wonder if the players aren't listening like they used to.  I wonder if Belichick is wondering if new scenery might be better.  I wonder if Belichick looks at Brady like he did Bledsoe. 
    Posted by UD6

First, I think you generally come with some decent and logical opinions. But to say Brady is a "game manager" is doing him a great disservice and a smack in the face to us Pats fans. Brady is much more than a game manager. He might not have all the stats Gomer has, but he has won many an important game for this team over the years when everything was on the line. You saw what he was capable of in 07' with some offensive talent..you know, the kind Gomer had his whole career with Reggie Wayne, Harrison, Clark, etc...
    It's like calling Gomer "Captain Choke". Great in the regular season, terrible in the playoffs. Not completely true right? Gomer didn't have the Pats D early in the decade did he? If he did, then what?

The players are still listening, and BB has this team. The problem is talent. Lack of talent at key positions is costing this team, and exposing our weaknesses. BB like you said and I said had sufficient time to restock via the draft and FA. For whatever reason he hasn't been successful at this in some time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

In Response to Let me just sum this up real quick....:
    Brady's Contract + Bad Drafting = NO SUPERBOWL WIN
    Posted by JayShizzle45

at least we are not the broncos.

Sections
Shortcuts