Let me just sum this up real quick....

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Let me just sum this up real quick....

In Response to Re: Let me just sum this up real quick....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let me just sum this up real quick.... : First, I think you generally come with some decent and logical opinions. But to say Brady is a "game manager" is doing him a great disservice and a smack in the face to us Pats fans. Brady is much more than a game manager. He might not have all the stats Gomer has, but he has won many an important game for this team over the years when everything was on the line. You saw what he was capable of in 07' with some offensive talent..you know, the kind Gomer had his whole career with Reggie Wayne, Harrison, Clark, etc... It's like calling Gomer "Captain Choke". Great in the regular season, terrible in the playoffs. Not completely true right? Gomer didn't have the Pats D early in the decade did he? If he did, then what? The players are still listening, and BB has this team. The problem is talent. Lack of talent at key positions is costing this team, and exposing our weaknesses. BB like you said and I said had sufficient time to restock via the draft and FA. For whatever reason he hasn't been successful at this in some time.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Somehow my initial response was lost in all that board muck. 

Anyway, Brady isn't a game manager, but he was when he was young and the defense was great.  He isn't any longer because A) he can do so much more than just manage and B) he has to.  For the pats to win, Brady has to be nearly perfect.  The d won't win the pats anything unless Brady gets them a double digit lead and Belichick can scheme. 

When Brady was young, the d never let the game get out of hand, and when it mattered, if the pats were down, they were only down 3.  vinatieri could tie or win a game and did so so many times.

the d can't hold any longer and Vinatieri's gone.  Its all on Brady now.  And he's paid the big $ to make things happen. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Ted Johnson was a difference maker??? I couldn't disagree more but if you replace him with Vrabel who actually could turn games around you get 2 guys that BB brought in on that list

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Let me just sum this up real quick....:
    [QUOTE]I have holded off saying this because i dont want to ruin anyones fantasy or lower expectations.  The fact is football is a very simple sport and we try too hard to analyze things all the time when somethings require simple thinking. This is the Formula that you all need to know Brady's Contract + Bad Drafting = NO SUPERBOWL WIN I have kept that very important info to myself for a while now because every now and then you watch a game and get that itch again, thinking "ok, this team has promise" and then every once in a while, a team smacks reality into you.  Not just the fact that our defense is a like a 2 swinging ok corral doors, we have  a coach who all of a sudden turns loopy in Big games like someone is spiking his coffee w/acid. I'm sorry, but the only team that can win it all while investing a huge amount of money into one player are the ones who can draft well.  Free Agency is a must as well. Last 2 free agents, TBC and Bodden were stopgap players who never should have been extended...and now more setbacks...at this rate, by the time Bill uses that 1st round pick on the ever elusive game changing defensive player  Brady will have retired and the show will be over.... sorry to break it to you, but I would love to hear the rebuttals on how the formula is gonna work and why and what other formula you think it is...  It is what it is...Brady last deal was more about ticket sales and keeping Gillette filled than it was about winning a SB. Kraft has 3 rings.  20 years ago he probably never dreamt it. He told BIll, once we sign Brady, you are gonna have to get creative on defense and Bill has came up short and is running out of idea's.....
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Adjust your equation.

Bad Drafting = NO SUPERBOWL WIN

Brady's contract is 4-5 million more than a whole bunch of lesser QBs around the NFL. If you're telling me 5 million is a big part of the problem I'm not buying it. We're paying 85 more than that and just cut Bodden for most of that. Eliminate those two financial mistakes wasting 11 million and Brady is down to about 9 mil a year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]It's really old watching people pretend like BB botched 1st rd picks, overpaid people on a continual basis or hasn't gotten incredible production from UDFAs or even just complementary production from later round picks. Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Russ - I don't think these people are saying that the pats have missed completely.  They haven't.  But in the last 5 years you show me where their personnel moves have produced something special. 

Go back and look at what Belichick inherited and what he picked up shortly thereafter.  01 - seymour, light.  02 - Graham, Branch, 03 - Warren, Wilson.   Samuel, Koppen.  04 - Wilfork, Watson.  05 - Mankins, Hobbs.  06 - nada.  07 - nada.  08 - Mayo. 

The pats went through a 6 year stretch where they picked at least 2 effective players each year, then a 3 year stretch where they picked a combined 1.  Add to that early decade success the FA pick ups/trades of people like Vrabel and Harrison, etc. and compare that to 06 through current FA/trades pick ups.  Welker, Moss.  Did I miss anyone?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let me just sum this up real quick.... : bab(e) actually we are 5-2 and in first place...   you could be a fish fan...overseen recently by one of your gods pantload parcells... your points have merit...but your too much like the other chicken littles....on this blog...    the sky isnt falling....its just cloudy today....
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm not reverting to the old days when we were happy with simply making the playoffs or having a winning season. I'll leave that to Colts' fans. The whole object is winning championships. I demand this team "do their job". And two one and outs and a no show the last three years isn't doing the job. And it looks like more of the same this year to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Every GM misses on a first round pick somewhere.  Bill has been pretty good, not fantastic.  He too has missed.  His philosophy is that of quantity.  That gives you better depth and more insurance for the odds of drafting busts.  Rule of thumb, if your first round pick is no longer with the team that drafted him before his rookie contract is up, you missed.  Of course, there are exceptions, injuries, head coach changes, etc.  Maroney and Meriweather fit the bill. Neither were worthy of their draft position.  Watson... maybe. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Why are you trying to make a case for the signing of Ellis, Haynesworth and Carter?  Our run D and pass D is worse than last year and aside from Carter, the others are minimal impact players as best.  Of course, connected to the signings is the release of TBC, Warren, Meriweather & Sanders.  
    I think we all know that if Faulk is able to demonstrate anything close to what he was before the injury, Danny will be gone.  
    You have a habit of leaving out all of the stuff on the other side of the equation. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let me just sum this up real quick.... : Russ - I don't think these people are saying that the pats have missed completely.  They haven't.  But in the last 5 years you show me where their personnel moves have produced something special.  Go back and look at what Belichick inherited and what he picked up shortly thereafter.  01 - seymour, light.  02 - Graham, Branch, 03 - Warren, Wilson.   Samuel, Koppen.  04 - Wilfork, Watson.  05 - Mankins, Hobbs.  06 - nada.  07 - nada.  08 - Mayo.  The pats went through a 6 year stretch where they picked at least 2 effective players each year, then a 3 year stretch where they picked a combined 1.  Add to that early decade success the FA pick ups/trades of people like Vrabel and Harrison, etc. and compare that to 06 through current FA/trades pick ups.  Welker, Moss.  Did I miss anyone?  
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I think we are still getting a couple of effective players out of each draft.  The big difference is that in the 2000-2004 range, Bill was able to get veteran FAs who he already was familiar with and some who had played for him before that.  That is a huge advantage.  Almost every coach will try to bring in players that the learning curve is minimal.  Then, as time goes on, there are fewer of those guys around and you have to guess more... Adelias Thomas, Ocho etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let me just sum this up real quick.... : Dude, no one combines FA and money allocation/system fit and the draft/the coaching up of players in the system better than BB. Simply, no one has done it better from 2000-2005 or from 2005-2010. Of course there will be misses. FOr every Duane Starks or Monty Beisel, there is a Danny Woodhead or Brian Waters. I don't have all day to run down the lists here, but this is a total over-exaggeration by the media because they don't liek the fact BB doens't ksis their butts, doens't smile at them, be their friend, etc. I am sure Michael Holley having carte blanche access again for another BB book only makes the dopes more incensed.  LMAO So, while you act like BB strategically selection a player in FA that he feels fits is somehow not allowed, illegal or not something BB has the right to do, Pats fans can list many great FA moves where it not only worked, but it totally helps the team every year. Your team, signs Tommie Harris after we bypass him for Carter, Ellis, Haynesworth and resigning Gerard Warren. I'll take the latter 1,000 times over.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    Russ

I don't care whether or not you have time to run down anything.  I posted facts and belichick's drafts from 06-08 produced one effective player unless you count Gostkowski which I won't.  

This isn't about books or kissing butts or the colts.  This is about the pats. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Yeah, of course it is worse.  Your basing your theory on not allowing a 90 yard rusher?  That's pretty weird.  Last year we gave up 4.2 ypc, this year 4.3.  We've given up half as many TDs on the ground and we are not half way through the season.  The fact that teams are passing on us at an absurd clip of like 3/4 of the time does not mean our run D is better.  I don't know why you think that getting fewer sacks per game and having an opposing QB rating 10 points higher than the previous year means the D is better, it is absolutely not.  Sacks and pressures are an important part of disruptiong the QB.  If our rating is so much worse, while our D line is so much better, what does that say about every other part of the D? 
    I don't think Woodhead was a bad pickup.  He was a great replacement for Faulk.  But how many of those kind of guys do you keep? Where are the carries/catches going to come from?  We saw it against Pitt... ZERO.