Let The Rookies Play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Let The Rookies Play

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/09/stick_with_all_the_kids

Noone really knows how Thompkins, Boyce, Dobson, and Sudfeld will turn out this season - but, there's only one way to find out. Yes, it's going to be painful early on - but, we just have to hope they can learn quickly and that their confidence doesn't get destroyed during the interim.

Oh, and why hasn't Collins been getting hardly any snaps?  5 in two games?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Let The Rookies Play

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Don't worry the rookies will play plenty, it's not like they have anyone else.

true. I'm okay with it Laughing

who wants blowouts anyway? lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

They have no alternative at WR anyway, save to sign a Stallworth-type of vet to help until Amendola and Gronk make it back.  They might as well take their lumps now and see what they have in Boyce, Dobson and Thompkins.  The only way they will get better or show what they have is through game time reps. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

They have no alternative at WR anyway, save to sign a Stallworth-type of vet to help until Amendola and Gronk make it back.  They might as well take their lumps now and see what they have in Boyce, Dobson and Thompkins.  The only way they will get better or show what they have is through game time reps. 

i agree 100%

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Many on here kept saying during preseason that this was going to be Brady's best year, that he would have an MVP season, that these WR's were the answers to all the Patriots past problems.  

It's the first time in a long time that I think the defense is the biggest strength.  The run games is kind of a mess, the TE position is a mess, when your best WR is Julian Edelman then you know your receivers are a problem.  Looks like the Giants don't miss Ballard, Myers looks pretty good for them,  I'm pretty sure the Rams aren't missing Amendola, as Tavon Austin is healthy on the field contributing, scored twice yesterday. 

Yes, there is a lot of football left in the season, but there looks to be a whole lot of teams who are much better then the Patriots.  Is our head in the sand thinking it's all going to turn around for the Patriots and the other teams are going to go flat?  Is it really unfair for us fans to be asking some tough questions here on why this team isn't built better? 

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

All good point TFB but I think the season is young and with a young group I am praying they can only get better with snaps. We are forced to make them better which may help us in the last 3rd of the season. 

The only negative I can see is can these guys give us enough in the regular season so we make the playoffs.? For all the welker bashing, he at least could be counted on to help us get to the tournament. He may have dropped some important passes and maybe his time was up, but he was a warrior in the regular season. 

I don't have an issue with ugly wins and can be patient with the young guy's as long as they are progressing and do just enough to help us into the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Many on here kept saying during preseason that this was going to be Brady's best year, that he would have an MVP season, that these WR's were the answers to all the Patriots past problems.  

It's the first time in a long time that I think the defense is the biggest strength.  The run games is kind of a mess, the TE position is a mess, when your best WR is Julian Edelman then you know your receivers are a problem.  Looks like the Giants don't miss Ballard, Myers looks pretty good for them,  I'm pretty sure the Rams aren't missing Amendola, as Tavon Austin is healthy on the field contributing, scored twice yesterday. 

Yes, there is a lot of football left in the season, but there looks to be a whole lot of teams who are much better then the Patriots.  Is our head in the sand thinking it's all going to turn around for the Patriots and the other teams are going to go flat?  Is it really unfair for us fans to be asking some tough questions here on why this team isn't built better? 

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

Nicely said .

It would be a real long shot to say the rookies will make up what teams like Seattle and Denver have.  Hoping the long week they're getting the reps needed to improve in week3.   Pats will make the playoffs and who knows what surprises they will pull ou of a hat.

As for the defense they've looked pretty good , it's when they play a good team that we can judge the Pats D.

This all to say it's early to write the Pats off and/or going to the Superbowl. Many things can change from now till December.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

With a full third of the active roster being composed of 1st, 2nd or 3rd year players, it is probably time that we ( myself leading the way ) adjust the way in which we watch the Pats each week. Consistent, mistake-free football will likely not characterize our favorite team, but we can either be overly critical and disappointed when things don't go like clockwork or we can get excited with flashes of brilliance and week-to-week improvement from these young guys as they mature into proven veterans. I have made my choice and am looking forward to some very enjoyable fall Sunday afternoons. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Brady will eventually coach them up to his ways - unless they stink - but it could be a rough road getting there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I think BB and Brady have earned some leeway here. They have been sniffing superbowls since the last superbowl win, so they obviously knew what they were doing. If things aren't improved by halfway through the season, then yes, it will be time to panic. Until then I will give them a shot and havr faith.

That said, I don't see how bringing in a vet would hurt. At the very least they could give helpful tips to the rookies. I don't think Edelman counts as a vet WR.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/09/stick_with_all_the_kids

Noone really knows how Thompkins, Boyce, Dobson, and Sudfeld will turn out this season - but, there's only one way to find out. Yes, it's going to be painful early on - but, we just have to hope they can learn quickly and that their confidence doesn't get destroyed during the interim.

The rookies are playing. Thompkins has 21 targets that is more that guys like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Victor Cruz, Reggie Wayne or anyone in Denver (including Welker). Dobson's 10 targets in one game is pretty high. Only Boyce has not be involved in the offense so far.

As for Collins, I believe he has been on ever special teams play. Unfortunately for him, LB is probably the deepest position on defense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I wouldn't go so far as to say the defense will be  a strength considering the Patriots have played against two rookie QBs and one of those offenses don't score many points.  The D does need to step things up.  Patricia will need to get aggressive.

Where is Collins.  I'm interested in seeing how they use him...and whether he will be effective.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Having watched (1 example of too many) a 3 to 0 loss to the Jets when it was pouring sideways, being able to lean on the bench behind me and rest my feet on the bench in front of me to watch 1 and 15 teams, I think I'll tune in each week - root for my team and hope for the best! I like this team, young, energetic  and (I believe) talented. I learned in 2001 that not having a snowballs chance in you know where means nothing in the NFL. Have fun and try to enjoy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

I wouldn't go so far as to say the defense will be  a strength considering the Patriots have played against two rookie QBs and one of those offenses don't score many points.  The D does need to step things up.  Patricia will need to get aggressive.

Where is Collins.  I'm interested in seeing how they use him...and whether he will be effective.

[/QUOTE]

Well, the defense has been better than the offense so far (just looking at stats and having watched the games).

Collins is stuck. LB (Spikes, Mayo, Hightower) and DE (Nink, Jones) are deeper positions one this team. Right now he is a special teams player (which I agree seems like a bit of a waste for your first draft choice).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Brady will eventually coach them up to his ways - unless they stink - but it could be a rough road getting there.

i don't think that there's any question that there will be growing pains and at least one of the rookies will simply not cut it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Well, the defense has been better than the offense so far (just looking at stats and having watched the games).

Collins is stuck. LB (Spikes, Mayo, Hightower) and DE (Nink, Jones) are deeper positions one this team. Right now he is a special teams player (which I agree seems like a bit of a waste for your first draft choice).

yes, and no.  Maybe the defense looks so much better than the offense right now because they faced two rookie QBs. Plus, both the Bills and Jets played good defense.
    I'd like for BB/Patricia to get Collins in the game in different spots....see what he can/can't do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If Spikes doesn't re-sign next year then Hightower will take his spot and Collins will slide into that outside role. Belichick doesn't have the luxury of taking a "win now" attitude, he has to look at the big picture.  

Rookies typically start on teams that stink or have gaping holes, this team doesn't except at WR.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Rookies typically start on teams that stink or have gaping holes, this team doesn't except at WR.

true, but if Collins is as athletic as they say - and can make a contribution now - why wait? Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

You obviously don't remember the pre-2007 Pats. Until 2004 they were known as the most talentless overachievers in football.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

true, but if Collins is as athletic as they say - and can make a contribution now - why wait? Laughing

I don't think he can catch as well as the rookie receivers...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course the are going to talk about how good he is. He was there top draft pick last year. They are not going to come out and tell you what his deficiencies are. Obviously, the Patriots coaches do not think he can do better than the guys they are putting out there. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to fanonymost's comment:

With a full third of the active roster being composed of 1st, 2nd or 3rd year players, it is probably time that we ( myself leading the way ) adjust the way in which we watch the Pats each week. Consistent, mistake-free football will likely not characterize our favorite team, but we can either be overly critical and disappointed when things don't go like clockwork or we can get excited with flashes of brilliance and week-to-week improvement from these young guys as they mature into proven veterans. I have made my choice and am looking forward to some very enjoyable fall Sunday afternoons. 

Great Post! Need you to post more buddy! Seems like the intelligent ones post rarely but we gotta listen to idiots post 1000 times a day. I made my choice long ago. Football is my getaway. Gonna take more than a few rookie WRSs to spoil my Sundays! I enjoy watching the team grow

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I don't think he can catch as well as the rookie receivers...

haha...good one. In that case, give him extra time after practice with the Juggs machine. Besides, that wouldn't be so bad if he's going to get an INT or two when/if dropping back into pass coverage....lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Great Post! Need you to post more buddy! Seems like the intelligent ones post rarely but we gotta listen to idiots post 1000 times a day. I made my choice long ago. Football is my getaway. Gonna take more than a few rookie WRSs to spoil my Sundays! I enjoy watching the team grow

Plenty of fans out there who are good posters. And you're right, they should post more often.