Let's get real! The offense lost this game tonight!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Let's get real! The offense lost this game tonight!

This game was lost by the offense, and the way it plays reminds me of 2 years
    ago when they scored at will, and scored way to fast, and when teams figure that
    out and you forget how to run the clock down, you lose.

Almost all there points were scored on drives about 2 minutes long and a part
    of me loved it, but the true football person in me knew it would back fire and it did.

Last years team ran a balance offense and by the end of the year they were a more healthy offensive team than in 07.  This team was so bad on the offense tonight because they didn't have one sustained drive, allowing the Colts to get the ball back way too many times by not taking a lot of time off the clock, and they "will" not win unless they remember how they won SB's in the past.  Forget about Maroney, or any other mistakes they made tonight.  it is this scoring fast because they "can" that got them into trouble tonight and in 07 and both of them began to fall about midseason.  Save your weapons when you really need them instead of using them all up in the first half of games or the first half of the year.  Never let them know what you are going to do unless you are a great running team or like the Montana teams with a great ball control offense running and passing, and the smoked teams with great ease when the time was right.

Montana won because he and their team were very patient and efficient.  He managed the game, and very rarely do you ever see a SB winner where the QB didn't manage the game well.  Brady was the master at that and now he and the coaches and who knows who are into being like Manning and both these teams will lose in the end if they don't change their ways. 

I really thought they learned last year that they could win and they did win with a balanced ball control attack.  The Defense was always guessing what Cassell would do, and he kept them off balance.

I am sick not because we lost, or the 4th down blunder at the end, or because of Maroney. 

We lost because, unlike all three SB wins, we forgot to win as a team with balance and ball control, and it will kill us down the stretch.

I love the Pats but they have forgotten what got them here and have become the Colts, and they too will get slapped at some point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhb2. Show jhb2's posts

Re: Let's get real! The offense lost this game tonight!

Excellent analysis (in my drunken opinion).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ET27. Show ET27's posts

In Response to Let's get real! The offense lost this game tonight!:
    [QUOTE]This game was lost by the offense, and the way it plays reminds me of 2 years ago when they scored at will, and scored way to fast, and when teams figure that out and you forget how to run the clock down, you lose. Almost all there points were scored on drives about 2 minutes long and a part of me loved it, but the true football person in me knew it would back fire and it did. Last years team ran a balance offense and by the end of the year they were a more healthy offensive team than in 07.  This team was so bad on the offense tonight because they didn't have one sustained drive, allowing the Colts to get the ball back way too many times by not taking a lot of time off the clock, and they "will" not win unless they remember how they won SB's in the past.  Forget about Maroney, or any other mistakes they made tonight.  it is this scoring fast because they "can" that got them into trouble tonight and in 07 and both of them began to fall about midseason.  Save your weapons when you really need them instead of using them all up in the first half of games or the first half of the year.  Never let them know what you are going to do unless you are a great running team or like the Montana teams with a great ball control offense running and passing, and the smoked teams with great ease when the time was right. Montana won because he and their team were very patient and efficient.  He managed the game, and very rarely do you ever see a SB winner where the QB didn't manage the game well.  Brady was the master at that and now he and the coaches and who knows who are into being like Manning and both these teams will lose in the end if they don't change their ways.  I really thought they learned last year that they could win and they did win with a balanced ball control attack.  The Defense was always guessing what Cassell would do, and he kept them off balance. I am sick not because we lost, or the 4th down blunder at the end, or because of Maroney.  We lost because, unlike all three SB wins, we forgot to win as a team with balance and ball control, and it will kill us down the stretch. I love the Pats but they have forgotten what got them here and have become the Colts, and they too will get slapped at some point.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

You take what the defense gives you.  You score when you get the opportunity.  But, I agree, there is very little balance with these Pats.  Can you blame the coaches?  Maroney can't get the job done.  Fred Taylor would have been a huge asset; Even Sammy Morris is a significant upgrade over Maroney.  Faulk is great, but don't give him more than 10 touches a game.  Also, it's clear Brady's short game is still in need of improvement. His timing with his 3rd, 4th and 5th receivers should improve weekly.  Let's hope Taylor and Morris return before the playoffs. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Thanks Jhb2,  It is hard to see what really happened as fans, and watching them have no idea how to use the clock.  How many times has Brady, in the past, been up by 7 with 12 minutes to go and sustained a drive for 8 minutes and get us a TD or a FG and he beat the other team without doing anything exciting but keep the ball with runs and short passes.  And the D gets a nice rest

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mplsnick. Show mplsnick's posts

Oh please, save your thoughts for the toilet.  The offense was not to blame.  "Scoring too fast" is like claiming a basketball player "dunks too hard."  BB lost this game, along with the defense.  They were up 13 with 4 minutes left!!!  Is that on the offense?  Shut the F---- up!!  Going for it on your own 28???  Yeah, if you are GOD, which BB evidently thinks he is.  THIS JUST IN:  He's not!!

They should have won this game by 30 -- they didn't because of careless mistakes and HORRIFIC coaching decisions.

"In Bill I would not trust ten cents."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

ET27 I agree but even in 07 we had lots of weapons and it was always score as much as we can, blowing teams out so bad it hurt.  I they really want to beat them up then beat them up like the SB teams, in the trenches, pushing there D back with hard up the middle runs.  They did it well enough last year that the offense was really clicking and would be good in all types of weather

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Observer6. Show Observer6's posts

Maybe Weiss will come back when ND fires his fat bloated carcass

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

mpisnick, yes it was a big part of why we lost, i am speaking about a huge flaw in this team, and if you knew football, you would know that if you score too fast, the D is always on the field, and QBs like Manning will always have the ball.  We could have great ball control with a short passing game, using it like the 49ers did,  They were the absolutely best offense I have ever seen, because they scored at will but slower and kept you away from the ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepatsfan523. Show nepatsfan523's posts

In Response to Re: Let's get real! The offense lost this game tonight!:
    [QUOTE]mpisnick, yes it was a big part of why we lost, i am speaking about a huge flaw in this team, and if you knew football, you would know that if you score too fast, the D is always on the field, and QBs like Manning will always have the ball.  We could have great ball control with a short passing game, using it like the 49ers did,  They were the absolutely best offense I have ever seen, because they scored at will but slower and kept you away from the ball.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]
    I don't think they "scored too fast," but they really needed to have better possession in the second half. The D a horrible job when they started playing prevent, considering that four of the top rushers were out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

observer6, maybe, but the team philosophy has changed.  BB seems to have forgotten how you win.  Phil Simms could score with the best of them always putting up 30 to 40 points a game, and the Giants never won.  With Parcells they ran all the time and saved their passing for when the time was right.  Simms was great, but didn't score enought points and won SBs and will not go to the hall of fame where some great passers go because of stats.  It's all about winning and you need to disguise things a little and this offense seems to just let it fly, and the whole team is off balance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe Weiss will come back when ND fires his fat bloated carcass
    Posted by Observer6[/QUOTE]
    Weiss wasn't that great at clock management.  We would have games with Antoine smith averaging over 5 yds a carry against the browns and with only a 3 point lead in the 4th quarter, and we would pass on every play.  It drove me nuts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

nepatsfan, yes they did and it is why they couldn't afford the mistakes they made.  If they had moved the ball and ran the clock, Manning would nohave gotten the ball back enough to come back.  Forget this one game, it is a pattern that will bite the Pats in the butt sooner or later and today was the day.  great teams beat you methodically as our great SB teams did, not finesse as our offense is now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

exactly quasi. 

They did have some long drives (3) but only got 3 points out of them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

noholding calls, yes they did, but they beat the hell out of all these teams, and their players were so clutch in the biggest of games like Patton Givens and Branch.  I would take them over these guys any day.  they were big, Givens and Patton and could block and the whole team played to win.  They held the ball while still thowing it for 6, 7 minute stretches.  it was a great team, this team has great stats but I am unsure of there methods trying to win the biggest games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot54too. Show patriot54too's posts

Offense did lose this game!  Not because they scored to fast.  Every time you get the ball you try to score.  Who cares how fast.  But, the offense lost this game because in the final possession with 2 minutes plus to the end of the game, they couldnt get a first down.  You dont need to score.  You do need a first down or two.  Get the first downs and you win.  This is simple and horribly frustrating on the Patriots offense.  CRAP!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

underdogg, they had the ball for under 5 minutes the first 2 sets of downs, which is not long at all.  it's not bad, but the rest of the game they scored the rest of their points, twice between 3 and 3 and ahalf minutes and the rest were under 3 minutes, and when they needed long drives at the end they got zero.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Patriot54too, it is my whole point, they couldn't control the ball, sustain a drive, that is what ball control is.  It is not about always scoring fast, the Colts took the long ball away and all we had to do was get a bunch of first downs.  Some of you are so hot and pissed, and you are saying what i am saying.  The scoring too fast hurt them because they no longer seem to know how to sustain a drive and just get a bunch of first downs, and not worry if it takes 10 minutes to score.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

100% disagree! Up by 17 with 5:00 left....and you lose ??? Who do you think that's on?? C'mon now! Same old choke artist defense since 2006 AFC game.

PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you think BB went for it on 4th....because he too knows defense cannot gert a damn stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

They lost on both sides. The offense had flaws, but the D played soft in the 4th, and Peyton took advantage. The pass pressure went away in the 4th, and you could see why. The DL was not pushing hard anymore. I was cursing at AD because he was so upright on almost every down, you could tell he was not trying.

[QUOTE]This game was lost by the offense, and the way it plays reminds me of 2 years ago when they scored at will, and scored way to fast, and when teams figure that out and you forget how to run the clock down, you lose. Almost all there points were scored on drives about 2 minutes long and a part of me loved it, but the true football person in me knew it would back fire and it did. Last years team ran a balance offense and by the end of the year they were a more healthy offensive team than in 07.  This team was so bad on the offense tonight because they didn't have one sustained drive, allowing the Colts to get the ball back way too many times by not taking a lot of time off the clock, and they "will" not win unless they remember how they won SB's in the past.  Forget about Maroney, or any other mistakes they made tonight.  it is this scoring fast because they "can" that got them into trouble tonight and in 07 and both of them began to fall about midseason.  Save your weapons when you really need them instead of using them all up in the first half of games or the first half of the year.  Never let them know what you are going to do unless you are a great running team or like the Montana teams with a great ball control offense running and passing, and the smoked teams with great ease when the time was right. Montana won because he and their team were very patient and efficient.  He managed the game, and very rarely do you ever see a SB winner where the QB didn't manage the game well.  Brady was the master at that and now he and the coaches and who knows who are into being like Manning and both these teams will lose in the end if they don't change their ways.  I really thought they learned last year that they could win and they did win with a balanced ball control attack.  The Defense was always guessing what Cassell would do, and he kept them off balance. I am sick not because we lost, or the 4th down blunder at the end, or because of Maroney.  We lost because, unlike all three SB wins, we forgot to win as a team with balance and ball control, and it will kill us down the stretch. I love the Pats but they have forgotten what got them here and have become the Colts, and they too will get slapped at some point.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

[QUOTE]noholding calls, yes they did, but they beat the hell out of all these teams, and their players were so clutch in the biggest of games like Patton Givens and Branch.  I would take them over these guys any day.  they were big, Givens and Patton and could block and the whole team played to win.  They held the ball while still thowing it for 6, 7 minute stretches.  it was a great team, this team has great stats but I am unsure of there methods trying to win the biggest games.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]
    I don't think the game is the same so that we could win with the same receiving core of the days of old...however...
    I am unsure of our methods as well.  Not enough complex screens and other plays (some of which Weiss was really good at) to keep the defense on their toes.  We have a great set during the first half, and then the second half looks stale and predictable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

seattlpats70, I am not saying we didn't lose on both sides of the ball, what I am saying is first, the best D is the offense that controls the clock.  And the biggest cardinal sin is to give QBs like Manning and Brady the ball back very quickly.  You are just giving them extra ammo to get hot if you have had them boxed in as we had with Manning for most of the game.  Keep him off the field is more important than simply scoring quickly.  The D can't be expected to be out there the whole 4th quarter against Manning.  He is too good.  Those of you who believe scoring quickly as soon as you get the ball must be very young.  You never want your D on the field too long because it is much harder to play D because you generally aren't dictating the play, and when the offense has the ball, they are dictating the play for the Pats, and if we hold onto the ball, the D is always off balance and they get tired eventually.  How often do you here that the offense is tired from being on the field for 45 minutes in a game?  Rarely, because they know what they are going to do where the D almost never knows what the Offense is going to do.  They have to  follow what the offense gives them, and so the D gets thrown of balance almost every down to some degree.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

NoHoldingCalls, that's exactly what I was saying all of 2007, by midseason during the 1st half of the Colts game, they began to figure our stale predictable offfense out, and yes we came back in the second half, and most of the rest of the season we played offense back on our heels most of the time, just pulling out games at the end, and never, ever seeminly winning the game in the trenches on offense. Teams like the Eagles and Ravens who really stunk that year crushed us the whole game and even as we won it at the end, we never really seemed to control any of the games, and we were very predictable.  Teams just came at us with the blitz.  Moss was completely taken out of way too many games and we couldn't move the ball at all in bad weather which was rarely the case with the SB teams.  I don't believe for a second that Givens and Patton and Branch of the SB teams would have been unable to play now.  Patton and Given were big and would have smacked the DBs on there way down field, were always making clutch catches and especially clutche TDs at the most critical times, and Branch was quick and virtually unstoppable w/ Brady. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

The offense did leave at least 7 points on the field w/ the fumble from the 2 yard line - and the interception in the end zone. Special teams did fairly well. The defense did fairly well except when they seemed to play off their man in coverage. And of course, BB screwed up at the end of the game.

Colts won, fair and square.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Sometimes you win games you shouldn't like Bufgfalo other time like last night you lose games you should win. What can you say other than BB blew it. The fact remains that the Pats are as good or better than the Colts on the field and We can certainly win the rematch when it happens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

BubbainHawaii, I just moved back from Haiku in Maui after being there the last 2 years, and many times before.

I here you, and the point I am trying to make is When we score so fast, and our first to scores were in less than 5 minutes which is ok, but not great, and the 2 more were between 3 and 3 and a half minutes and in the 4th quarter we scored twice in 42 seconds and 2:12.  You don't want to keep Manning on the field cause sooner or later he will get hot.  If you give a great shooter the ball like Kobe over and over in basketball, and letting him shoot he will begin to find his way and kill you down the stretch

All of a sudden Manning got hot, they scored quikly and the D was inspired and the rocked Brady from his right side and shut him down.  If we had made some long drives in the 4th quarter which by the way is one of the 2 things he was always most well known for in his career till we got Moss and opened up the offense way too much.  Everyone always marveled at Brady coming from behind in the biggest of games, and almost more impressive, in games like last night when we had the ball with about 10 minutes to go, he would sustain a drive for 8 to 10 minutes and never give Manning even a chance to get hot because he never could get his hands on the ball.
    THAT is a great defense!!  Manning is way to good to keep giving him the ball after having it for only 2 minutes, the defense has way too much pressure on them and will get confused and tired once Manning gets hot as we saw last night. 

Watch Montana games on the NFL network.  The offense was unstoppable and would have crushed the Colts last night by working their way downfield, with short passes which opened up a very goog running game.  They could score 40 points at will, but chose as an organization to control the clock and still score score a lot of points.  The offense becomes their best defense.