Let's Give The Defense Credit.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Let's Give The Defense Credit.

Here's how I look at things:

Anytime our defense plays poorly, we're all over them. We're criticizing Belichick. We're criticizing the players... we're criticizing everyone.

Now that we have a very good defensive performance, I have heard little chatter about how well our defense did.

I would personally like to give a shout-out to our defense. 

Great job guys:

Vince pushed the pocket, and all of the DEs (Warren, Pryor, Wright, Brace) held their own and stuffed the run. Banta-Cain consistently pushed the pocket and appears to be our pass-rusher - the guy has looked great. Mayo and Spikes were flying around and making plays. Mayo looked like he was in '08 form, and Spikes will be a starter here for a while. Ninkovich played well at the other OLB spot, and although Murrell and Cunningham saw limited time, they looked good when they were in there. McCourty looks like our next stud CB. He was all over the place, and gave up 1 or 2 catches all game. He's a physical specimen, and he was a great pick. I love the guy already. Butler did great too. He gave up 1 deep pass, but aside from that, he had good coverage for the majority of the game. His tackling was great, and he appears to be a starter here for a while too. Meriweather played solid as always, and Chung looks like our next star safety.

Great overall performance by the defense, and we have a lot to look forward to with this team. The loss of Bodden doesn't help us, but it hasn't appeared to hurt us either. And the loss of Ty Warren was addition by subtraction - G. Warren, Mike Wright, Myron Pryor, and Ron Brace have all looked equal or better than he has.

Those injuries don't help, but when you look at what we have... well, the injuries don't hurt either. Butler and McCourty are, and will be starters in the league for a long time.

Great opening game.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

Re: Let's Give The Defense Credit.

This was such a beatdown, Corky, that BB played prevent D with a 28 point lead in the 3rd quarter.

You'd just too dumb or ignorant to understand what that means and why he used it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4683195/palmer-impressed-with-pats-plan-on-d

Good post, Vertigo.  We heard no troll activity after Week 1 and Week 2 in preseason.

Some of us have predicted a lot of this very accurately.

The troll work will be thin this week, and if Sanchez chokes on Monday night, PhatRex will be nowhere around here leading up to the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Let's Give The Defense Credit.:
    [QUOTE]Let's see, if this was a typical statistical defensive day, which I would say it is, the Patriots would rank 24th in points allowed, 28th in yards allowed, and dead last in passing yards allowed compared to the 2009 final stats.  Good news?  Run D would have ranked #2.  Good job run D!  I guess why run, right?  Even with all those points the Patriots scored, the Bengals won the time of possession.  Sure seems like there was a lot of good fortune today.
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

And HOW MANY of the first string D played, as a unit, in the second half after the game was put, almost, out of reach at 31 - 3?  You know the drill, PhatRex...  any NFL team goes up big early and it is garbage time for stats when the D plays soft and allows the other offense to be their own worst enemy, running off a lot of clock time just to score!  I doubt your Jets would even make it a game if they fell behind 31 - 3 in a game!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

The Pats D was great today.  Period.  Amazing, and all the announcers were saying they thought it would take months for them to get experience and gel.  But they did say they have a lot of talent.  they were amazed at how they played today

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

BTW, time of possession means nothing.  It took the Pats 12 seconds to score in the 2nd half.  How's that for time of possession?  You can only score 7 points on an 8 minute drive.  When you are behind, you need to score right away.  Let them have 8 minute drives.  We will score on a 6 second interception and a 12 second kickoff return.  Beautiful!  Let the offense rest so we can destroy the real fat Rex and his Jests.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

Awww...I feel bad for PhatRex
    Even though deep down he knew all the talk of the Pats demise was a little premature, he still almost had himself convinced that we were going to be awful. He's sad and scared. I mean how would you feel if the Quarterback leading your team wasn't even worthy of a spot in the Special Olympics?

But don't worry. After around 7:30pm next Sunday, we won't be hearing from him again until next March when the Jets are going to win the Super Bowl again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

McCourty looks like a stud already. Chung was VERY impressive, and their pass rush actually looked decent. It's great that the bengals passed the ball a little in the second half. The D's conditioning will be great and Bill will have something to gripe about. I can't wait to see this defense fly around next week and take Sanchez's head off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

The 21 second half points have to be put into perspective.

The first Bengals' TD came after Palmer slipped away from at least two potential sacks to make plays and complete throws, and after Shipley somehow managed to wrestle a ball away from Merriweather and one other Patriots defender for an 11-yard gain on 3rd and 11; the drive could easily have been stopped there with an INT.

The second Bengals' TD was a great drive, and the defense did look a little soft on that one. OK, that's going to happen against a team with those kinds of weapons. (It should be noted, however, that I believe that was the drive on which Spikes nearly picked off a pass in the flat but had it bounce off his hands, so that drive could have ended early, too.)

The last Bengals' TD came after Palmer, again, avoided some good rushes and threaded some needles with some excellent throws; and it's also important to remember that Ocho Cinco caught a first down pass along the sidelines (another excellent throw by Palmer) on 4th and 6 on that drive. In other words, the Pats had "gotten off the field" on 3rd and 6, but given Cincinnati's desperate situation at the time, they had to go for it in what would usually be a punting situation.

The Bengals made plays in the second half, period. It was much more about their offense executing well and making plays than it was about the Pats' defense playing lousy.

Yes, there was some mistakes and some bad plays on those three long TD drives, but for the most part the defense really made Cincinnati earn those points.

Loved the way Mike Wright rushed the passer today, and Wilfork was collapsing the pocket. It actually looked to me like the Pats were stunting their rushers inside to try and make Palmer move to his left or right. Most of the time that worked.

Good to see Cunningham out there, finally. He didn't do much, but since this was his first NFL game--including pre-season--he needs to be cut some slack.

And Chung looked like a beast out there today. Merriweather/Chung could be quite a safety tandom down the road.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

In Response to Re: Let's Give The Defense Credit.:
    [QUOTE]Let's see, if this was a typical statistical defensive day, which I would say it is, the Patriots would rank 24th in points allowed, 28th in yards allowed, and dead last in passing yards allowed compared to the 2009 final stats.  Good news?  Run D would have ranked #2.  Good job run D!  I guess why run, right?  Even with all those points the Patriots scored, the Bengals won the time of possession.  Sure seems like there was a lot of good fortune today.
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

well, considering that the only thing that the Jets can do is run, things ain't looking too bright for them.  It was good to know that the second team defense could play a decent game against the Bengals first string offense. 

Sections
Shortcuts