Lets just say...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Lets just say...

If the pats did go back to a Charlie Weis play style with the current team...... you do realize that fan expectations would have to go back to seeing a punt as not such a bad thing. Ball control limits making mistakes but often causes way more  third and long and punting scenarios.  My question is can the current D pick up the slack if the Pats had a game manager as QB instead of TB?  If you look at that time period the Pats didn't even score on many drives, just looking at their tougher games box score they were hard fought defensive games but the D was up to the task of stopping the other team.

As fans we have gone so far away from this play style.... just the expectation of Brady and the O to be perfect and score on almost every drive is unreal.  I honestly can't remember the last time I knew the D was going to get the ball back, here is to hope those days are coming. To soon Brady will be gone and hopefully these fair-weather fans who think what we have seen from this team over the years is a given. Not that I don't want the Pats to win the Superbowl but man the entitled Superbowl or bust season fans are in for an eye opener in the future. Runs like this don't happen and enjoy what we have in the way it is now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Lets just say...

In response to csylvia79's comment:

If the pats did go back to a Charlie Weis play style with the current team...... you do realize that fan expectations would have to go back to seeing a punt as not such a bad thing. Ball control limits making mistakes but often causes way more  third and long and punting scenarios.  My question is can the current D pick up the slack if the Pats had a game manager as QB instead of TB?  If you look at that time period the Pats didn't even score on many drives, just looking at their tougher games box score they were hard fought defensive games but the D was up to the task of stopping the other team.

As fans we have gone so far away from this play style.... just the expectation of Brady and the O to be perfect and score on almost every drive is unreal.  I honestly can't remember the last time I knew the D was going to get the ball back, here is to hope those days are coming. To soon Brady will be gone and hopefully these fair-weather fans who think what we have seen from this team over the years is a given. Not that I don't want the Pats to win the Superbowl but man the entitled Superbowl or bust season fans are in for an eye opener in the future. Runs like this don't happen and enjoy what we have in the way it is now.

-----

No, I don't think so.  But I am optimistic that the Patriots have added enough players that there will be continued improvement in the defense. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the defense is coming along to the point of knowing exactly what McCourt, Mayo, Nink, Spikes, Arrington and Talib can bring to the team. This core makes a very solid defense....the keys will be can Vince stay healthy and continue to play as many snaps as he has been? Will Chandler, Hightower, Dennerd and TWilson make that next step up? There will be injuries...so can AWilson and TKelly still play? can Gregory be counted on? will Ras stay healthy? will any of the rookies contribute right away?

my biggest concern is depth...god forbid Vince is injured. it appears that Collins, Bequette, the Rutgers twins, Armstead, Francis and maybe Vega are on the 53 man roster. that is a lot of inexperience Pats counting on for depth...  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not a chance.  The defense, sad to say, is pretty poor right now.  I don't think we want to watch them on the field for the win.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Not a chance.  The defense, sad to say, is pretty poor right now.  I don't think we want to watch them on the field for the win.

The defense is poor? How do you know this? Have you seen them play this year?

The defense was much better last year with both Talib and Dennard on the field. Add Ras I and Adrian Wilson to the fold and this could be a vastly improved unit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

The defense is poor? How do you know this? Have you seen them play this year?

The defense was much better last year with both Talib and Dennard on the field. Add Ras I and Adrian Wilson to the fold and this could be a vastly improved unit.

Interesting rhetorical question.  I think it's clear that I haven't seen them play this year.

I don't believe the defense has improved enough to be considered "good".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Interesting rhetorical question.  I think it's clear that I haven't seen them play this year.

I don't believe the defense has improved enough to be considered "good".

Fair enough. I guess we'll find out when they hit the gridiron.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

CSYLVIA,

I'm ready for the rabid response even before I finish this post! Fear not man........Based on the progress that the Pats made on defense last season, more so with individual player development than was proven by over all team performance, and the added players and resulting depth expected to take the field in 2013-14, I tell you that THIS YEAR'S D WILL BE THE BEST PATS D in a very long time. Our secondary will prove to be a strength and our rund D will again be more than adequate.

As for Tom Brady's eventual departure meaning the PATS will be headed to mediocrity......NOT TRUE! I agree that Tom Brady is one of, if not the very best NFL QB in history. This certainly isn't isn't because hes owns amazing physical or mental capabilities. HOLD ON!!!! Before you all start on me!!!! Tom Brady found the perfect situation for his skill set, and Bill B. and Charlie W. found the perfect QB for what they wanted to do. CHEMISTRY and FIT proved perfect. As long as BB can find a similar type QB in Tom's absence, The Patriots will be there fighting for a championship. See, BB is the greatest coach in NFL history. BB has just as much to do with Tom's success, if not more, than even does Tom. Babe rightfully slammed me for calling Tom a "System QB". OKay, bad choice of words. Tom is an excellent, PROTOTYPICAL POCKET QB for what BB has accepted as his preferred style of offense. Ryan Mallett would be another guy with an excellent chance be incredibley successful in this offense. Matt C. and 11-5, which shold have been good enough for the play-offs shows how physically and mentally gifted a QB playing for BB and his preferred offense really has to be. I often wonder what a Big Ben could have done as the Pats QB with his freakish skills. Don't kill me for saying that, please. I hate the Steelers and Ben, but admire the guys athleticism for such a big dude. 

I say all of this to say, DON'T worry so much about the D this year, you'll soon see that we are much improved. Don't worry so much about life after Tom. Its life after Bill that I would be more concerned with.  GO PATS!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

CSYLVIA,

I'm ready for the rabid response even before I finish this post! Fear not man........Based on the progress that the Pats made on defense, more so with individual develpment and maturity at the respective positions than was proven by team performance, aded to the players and depth to be on the field in 2013-14, I tell you that THIS YEAR'S D WILL BE THE BEST PATS D in a very long time. Our secondary will prove to be a strength and our rund D is more than adequate.

As for Tom Brady leaving meaning the PATS headed to mediocrity......NOT TRUE. Tom Brady is one of, if not the very best NFL QBs in history. This isn't because of his amazing physical or mental capabilities. HOLD ON!!!! before yu all start on me!!!! Tom Brady found the perfect situation for his skill set, and Bill B. and Charlie W. found the perfect QB for what they wanted to do. CHEMISTRY proved perfect. As long as BB can find a similar type QB in Tom's absence, The Patriots will be there fighting for a championship. See, BB is the greatest coach in NFL history. BB has just as much to do with Tom's success, if not more, than even does Tom. Babe slammed me for calling Tom a "System QB". OKay, bad choice of words. Tom is an excellent, prototypical QB for what BB has accepted as his preferred style of offense. Ryan Mallett would be another guy with an excellent chance be incredibley successful in this offense. Matt C. and 11-5, which shold have been god enough for the play-offs shows how physically and mentally gifted a QB playing for BB has really has to be. I often wonder what a Big Ben could have done as the Pats QB with his freakish skills. Don't kill me for saying that, please. I hate the Steelers and Ben, but admire the guys athleticism for such a big dude. 

I say all of this to say, DON'T worry so much about the D this year, you'll soon see that we are much improved. Don't worry so much about life after Tom. Its life after Bill that I would be more concerned with.  GO PATS!

I have to say the just becuase Matt C went 11 - 5 with a team that was 16-0 the year before does not mean Brady is a SYSTEM QB.  An if six team were 11-5 wouldn't that also say it was an odd year.... the seperation between the good and struggling teams was greater.... don't know.  I do know Matt C became nothing special outside of NE. I think Brady would have thrived on a number of teams. Has BB formed a team around those skill sets... of course any coach would try to, but the offense and Qb position during 2008 was down in scoring,yards, attempts, and dynamic plays.  I say it was more of a testimate to the D stepping up without Brady getting to 11-5.

I'm also not saying the team is going to drop off a cliff... but if you think the team is going to keep going on the clip of score to 50% of its drives when Brady is gone.... people are about to be in a rude awakening. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

CSYLVIA,

I'm ready for the rabid response even before I finish this post! Fear not man........Based on the progress that the Pats made on defense, more so with individual develpment and maturity at the respective positions than was proven by team performance, aded to the players and depth to be on the field in 2013-14, I tell you that THIS YEAR'S D WILL BE THE BEST PATS D in a very long time. Our secondary will prove to be a strength and our rund D is more than adequate.

As for Tom Brady leaving meaning the PATS headed to mediocrity......NOT TRUE. Tom Brady is one of, if not the very best NFL QBs in history. This isn't because of his amazing physical or mental capabilities. HOLD ON!!!! before yu all start on me!!!! Tom Brady found the perfect situation for his skill set, and Bill B. and Charlie W. found the perfect QB for what they wanted to do. CHEMISTRY proved perfect. As long as BB can find a similar type QB in Tom's absence, The Patriots will be there fighting for a championship. See, BB is the greatest coach in NFL history. BB has just as much to do with Tom's success, if not more, than even does Tom. Babe slammed me for calling Tom a "System QB". OKay, bad choice of words. Tom is an excellent, prototypical QB for what BB has accepted as his preferred style of offense. Ryan Mallett would be another guy with an excellent chance be incredibley successful in this offense. Matt C. and 11-5, which shold have been god enough for the play-offs shows how physically and mentally gifted a QB playing for BB has really has to be. I often wonder what a Big Ben could have done as the Pats QB with his freakish skills. Don't kill me for saying that, please. I hate the Steelers and Ben, but admire the guys athleticism for such a big dude. 

I have to say the just becuase Matt C went 11 - 5 with a team that was 16-0 the year before does not mean Brady is a SYSTEM QB.  An if six team were 11-5 wouldn't that also say it was an odd year.... the seperation between the good and struggling teams was greater.... don't know.  I do know Matt C became nothing special outside of NE. I think Brady would have thrived on a number of teams. Has BB formed a team around those skill sets... of course any coach would try to, but the offense and Qb position during 2008 was down in scoring,yards, attempts, and dynamic plays.  I say it was more of a testimate to the D stepping up without Brady getting to 11-5.

I'm also not saying the team is going to drop off a cliff... but if you think the team is going to keep going on the clip of score to 50% of its drives when Brady is gone.... people are about to be in a rude awakening. 

I cjust clarified that Tom is not a "System QB". He is a beneificiary of having an offense that fits his physical strengths and abilities with the Patriots. There is a big difference. A true "system QB" is forced into the system regardless of their natural skills and abilities. Again, I woouldn't start worrying until BB leaves. Then, we lose the mechanic of the car, Tom's just the driver of it right no. BUT I'd rather not have any other driver for as long as he is available. Please don't lose sight that Tom has passed his prime and now Bill must adjust his plan to accommodate for his natural decline. In doing so, Bill will keep Tom very effective and the Patriots very successful. Eventualy, there will be another player who is ready for his chance to drive, and will do well, just like Matty C. did. Hard to visualize because of the success that Tom has enjoyed and the way we have all put Tommy on that pedestal, but I for one think he would not have succeeded to the extent that he has if not for being the QB of the NE Patriots. He just isn't that amazingly physically gifterd athlete.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I dont really care what another fan thinks. The bigger issue is like you said. Can we pull it off. I love watching defensive battles. Let me clarify my position. I watch every year but the 2007 year was not fun for me. I never liked that running up the score biz. To me, those games were boring. I like at the end of the year when we were tested. If you are not battle testes with gut check wins throughout the season, you will not win it all. Too many other teams have been through it. So in short, I would love for us to be more of a ball control offense BUT is our defense gonna be good enough to play ball control defense. Some of us brought this up a couple years but some dont understand. They think every problem with O goes back to Brady. They cant understand why Brady and the O score less come January. Its not hard. D gives us less posessions in playoffs while they sit on the field all game and TB is on the sidelines. If we can hold teams to around 13-18 ppg, its Feasible, but thats a good jump. I dont think our O will ever go back to 01 days so our D just needs to be marginally better in all phases, esp. pass rush, coverage.  We have the tackling part down already...lol

Sections
Shortcuts