LIKE BELICHICK, LIKE MANKINS.. BOTH DECEPTIVE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

LIKE BELICHICK, LIKE MANKINS.. BOTH DECEPTIVE?

borrowed from fourjays:

Goodell told Kraft that, as part of the disciplinary action, Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of the press that week. Instead the coach issued a printed statement and refused to answer any questions on the topic. "I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story," Goodell says. "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived."

Belichick responds, "I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly. I said I would address it following the league's review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don't think that was deceptive."

funny how the pats leadership got all in a tizzy when mankins refused to apologize in public and there seemed to have been a clear overreaction and unnecessary overreaching by the pats. yet it comes out that bel did far worse apparently with goodell. it seems more likely and appropriate that bel kiss goody's ring for the sweetheart deal our coach received for spygate. if it were me, pat fan or not, a one-year suspension would have been in order for such a blatant violation and challenge to my authority. kind of like not playing welky because he dared to use irony during a press conference for some of you koolaiders... 

i love bel on the field but i side with goody on this one. it seems like exactly the kind of thing bel would do! sure kraft wasnt too please. things like this make players and others start the hypocrisy music esp when you run over welk for no real reason at the expense of the team. bel simply had too much ego to ever publicly admit to an obvious wrong and take his medicine as he seemingly wants his players to do in similar circumstances...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Re: LIKE BELICHICK, LIKE MANKINS.. SO Y THE DRAMA?

Once again CC you make a grea......Hey look a squirrel! *runs off giggling*

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveNorthShore. Show DaveNorthShore's posts

Sorry but siding with BB on this one.  BB, knowing everybody does it, probably felt scapegoated by the whole thing, took his punishment and moved on.  Why Goodell, who seems to be a loose cannon on a variety of things (Vick, Rothlesberger, head hits, fines, etc) is bringing this up 4 yrs later unprompted is a mystery.  And to link this to the Mankins situation is really a stretch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: LIKE BELICHICK, LIKE MANKINS.. SO Y THE DRAMA?:
    [QUOTE]Sorry but siding with BB on this one.  BB, knowing everybody does it, probably felt scapegoated by the whole thing, took his punishment and moved on.  Why Goodell, who seems to be a loose cannon on a variety of things (Vick, Rothlesberger, head hits, fines, etc) is bringing this up 4 yrs later unprompted is a mystery.  And to link this to the Mankins situation is really a stretch
    Posted by DaveNorthShore[/QUOTE]
    u dont think welk and MANKINS felt scapegoated. with manks, it was just business, happens all the time yet after he was forced to apologize privately to kraft he was mandated to do the same in private... is that worth us losing him or having this whole process unnecessarily dragged out? like ryan or not, he at least is consistent with what he does and what he puts up with his own players. with bel, clearly since '07, there is a clear disconnect. any coincidence we have been struggling in the playoffs? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I think Mankins was p*ssed that he ws not taken care of as the pats resigned Wilfork and then Gost. they still had not worked out anything with Brady, but still gave mankins an offer - which according to who you read would not start kickin in the big bucks until 2011.

Mankins wanted 'now' money and was told he would be taken care of and the contract he was given did not take care of him in 2010 with a basic restricted FA contract.

So he felt he was lied to, but if you look at the contractual 'obligations' the pats were in their right to give him that type of offer. This insulted him and he called Kraft a liar. You publically spurn your boss and most likely you don't have a job.

There is still speculation on if Mankins had to give a public apology or not, Kraft has said more than once a deal was never finalized - was part fo the deal the apology or not?

Mankins is a big boy and went public on his view to criticize Kraft - so why could he not publically apologize? Man-up or shut up and he shut up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LIKE BELICHICK, LIKE MANKINS.. SO Y THE DRAMA? : u dont think welk and MANKINS felt scapegoated. with manks, it was just business, happens all the time yet after he was forced to apologize privately to kraft he was mandated to do the same in private... is that worth us losing him or having this whole process unnecessarily dragged out? like ryan or not, he at least is consistent with what he does and what he puts up with his own players. with bel, clearly since '07, there is a clear disconnect. any coincidence we have been struggling in the playoffs? 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    Hee heee hee hee! Come here you!  *runs back into thread chasing squirrel*

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Mankin's started a false rumor that Kraft had lied to him. Mankin's need to publicly state that he was wrong in order to clear Kraft's good name. 
     Belichick said he was wrong to tape games from the side line's instead of the press box. There was no public apologies needed. 

Godell  needs to man up and admit he released the redacted side line tapes to Fox and stop saying his wife broke into his office and stole them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It helps when your opinions are based on real information, not speculation on whatever you see fit. 

The Mankins situation was never about apologies and respect, it was and is about money. 

The Pats have not up to this point wanted to pay him top dollar. Now I see a number of fans who are convinced Mankins must be signed at any cost, no matter how it impacts our ability to sign other players - this despite the fact that the offensive line was a major weak spot in our most recent playoff loss (as well as the two playoff losses before). 

If we had won the Super Bowl this year, I'd be on the "pay Mankins whatever he wants" bandwagon with CC and other compulsive belly-achers. But we didn't win, and it's not surprise that the Pats are in no rush to sign him to an outrageous deal right now. 

p.s. it's beyond absurd to make a post about contract signings without taking into account the labor unrest. The most likely scenario is a franchise tag gets placed on Mankins and the Pats make one more attempt to sign him without making him the highest paid tackle in the league. 

p.s.s. if Goodell had any nutsack he would have challenged BB four years ago. To bring up the apology now is weak as heck on Goodell's part. For you to bring it up, and attempt to link it to the Mankins situation, is ridiculous. Contracts are about money not who says "I'm sorry" the most. You really need a clue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i never heard a formal request from kraft that mankins apologise...

wheres the link...nightsailor??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LIKE BELICHICK, LIKE MANKINS.. SO Y THE DRAMA? : Hee heee hee hee! Come here you!  *runs back into thread chasing squirrel*
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]

WTS????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I guess a half million dollar fine and loss of a first round pick wasn't enough for Goodell?  He wanted to rub BB's and the Pats noses in it.  The man's an egotistical piece of sh*t.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]I think Mankins was p*ssed that he ws not taken care of as the pats resigned Wilfork and then Gost. they still had not worked out anything with Brady, but still gave mankins an offer - which according to who you read would not start kickin in the big bucks until 2011. Mankins wanted 'now' money and was told he would be taken care of and the contract he was given did not take care of him in 2010 with a basic restricted FA contract. So he felt he was lied to, but if you look at the contractual 'obligations' the pats were in their right to give him that type of offer. This insulted him and he called Kraft a liar. You publically spurn your boss and most likely you don't have a job. There is still speculation on if Mankins had to give a public apology or not, Kraft has said more than once a deal was never finalized - was part fo the deal the apology or not? Mankins is a big boy and went public on his view to criticize Kraft - so why could he not publically apologize? Man-up or shut up and he shut up.
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]nice logical point from a fan's follow-the-front office view. but sorry, did you guys not read mankins' interview words from last week when he talked a bit about went down and that he would be available to the rest of the 31 teams? he confirmed again that he apologized in private and that he was asked to do so publicly. he just wasnt sure how much not doing so has impacted his contract situation. wouldnt rule it in or out. i say had he gone public, he likely would have had a deal by now. i like mankins but it may not be such a bad thing if we do not sign or franchise him. we tend to do a great job find OL guys on the cheap and drafting them like vollmer...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

If Jimmy Johnson didn't need to apologize why does BB.  And how can you compare a contract negotiation towards the rules of the game?  There is no premise here at all.  Completely different situations, and when you "call" someone out like Mankins and it's slander I see why an apology would be warranted. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The difference is that Mankins was slandering the Pats and specifically, Kraft.  Kraft felt that if ammends were going to be made and he was going to save face, and apology was in order.  Goodell laid the pipe sideways to BB and the Pats, and then to add insult to injury apparently wanted a public apology as well. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerjack. Show jerjack's posts

This is some kinda soap opera that should go away quick. The topics re: coach or Mankins is ancient news.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]The difference is that Mankins was slandering the Pats and specifically, Kraft.  Kraft felt that if ammends were going to be made and he was going to save face, and apology was in order.  Goodell laid the pipe sideways to BB and the Pats, and then to add insult to injury apparently wanted a public apology as well. 
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]c, thats y i start threads like these... hoping against hope that some of you would step away a bit from the koolaid and put yourself in other perspectives. first, i do not see how mankins slandered mr. kraft and the pats. they did lie in a technical sense and he is right. was brady not taken care of? did he not get his money upfront? did he not become the highest paid at his position? from reading between the lines, this is what was promised to mankins. so what he uses a strong word, those are his feelings and thoughts as it were with welker, plus he technically was not a member of the pats at that time since he had not signed his tender or anything else. 

secondly to GOODELL, like it or not he is the commissioner and deserves some respect for he did not just inherit or fall into his position of power and authority, bel was supposed to respect the man's rank if not the man himself. there are many players i am sure who think or have felt that bel is full of it and not worthy to make some of the demands he does, but so what.. they have to respect his position and submit to his plans or else... to GOODELL, bel was no different than mankins... i am quoting and paraphrasing goodell from his interview with peter king. its not subtle, he felt he was LIED to! 

you do not get a vote, i do not get a vote, bel doesnt get one or mr. kraft.. the commissioner gets the only and final say on how he interprets a lie in the same way bel did with welker and mankins.. got it? mankins does not feel that he LIED, but he went along with the private aplogy anyways and never confirmed that he did anything wrong by the way.. welk like the rest of the players i assume promised to go along with the bel tight lip policy so technically he lied too... i do not see where welk confirms that and frankly i do not think he did. but so what, only one man gets a vote and thats belichick.. that's my point! 

like with mankins (and welk to a lesser degree) only bel gets a vote, like with bel with spygate, only goody gets a vote! the rest is white noise. bel should have stood there like a man and admitted that he CHEATED (which he did) and that he lied (which he did when he like the other coaches pledged to stop illegally filming and he put himself above his nfl peers and team by ignoring)...its still not too late. he should stand up there at some point during the off-season and do a mea culpa. fact is his defiance has hurt this team. do you think the refs do not read the papers and talk amongst themselves? you think they do not know where goody stands and how their bread gets buttered and who butters it? 

i am sure now more than ever that the pats get extra-punishment on the field to appease goody's rightful rage and spite. people are human. as i have said on other threads, bel has an issue with with basic relational empathy outside his own team (friends and family too i speculate). like it or not, agree or disagree, goody feels that he got played and is still carrying that hurt 4 years later. bel should let down his ego and appease him, right or wrong, for the greater benefit of the team. perhaps we will get some peyton calls in the playoffs going forward. you can bet your life the tuck rule will go against us right now thanks to bel's unnecessary stubbornness!

i am sure bel apologized to goody privately as did mankins. difference is that manks does not need the pats to accomplish his goals anymore. like with adam vinatieri in '06, you put him out there as a free agent and he will get even more money than the pats will pay... most likely from a team that has actually won a playoff game or two in the last 3 years. be it indy, saints, giants or bears!

with all this said, i am still a bb loyalist. i just think like everyone else he too has flaws and it is sometimes good to step away from the koolaid tea party to critique him also! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Re: LIKE BELICHICK, LIKE MANKINS.. BOTH DECEPTIVE?

I think Goodel will say anything to get in good graces with the public and appear to be the good guy. Criticizing BB is one way to do it because outside of NE fans hate what they perveive as his smug and arrogant attitude.
    It is all about money, and Goodel is a prostitute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Goodel should deal in private if he felt he was lied to. a business does not air dirty laundry unless there is something to gain. In this case, he is looking for favor

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry but siding with BB on this one.  BB, knowing everybody does it, probably felt scapegoated by the whole thing, took his punishment and moved on.  Why Goodell, who seems to be a loose cannon on a variety of things (Vick, Rothlesberger, head hits, fines, etc) is bringing this up 4 yrs later unprompted is a mystery.  And to link this to the Mankins situation is really a stretch

this is such a crock.  there's no evidence anywhere that EVERYBODY was doing it, yet this is always the common defense. 

Even if there were a handful doing it, were those who were caught, warned before the memo was distributed?   I am willing to bet they were.  Were they doing it after the memo was distributed?  who knows? 

the fact is Belichick thumbed his nose at the commish twice over the incident.  Not sure what pats fans expected from that. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

as peter king said, dont take the easy route of the headline. goody only brought it up because king went thru his entire life and career in doing a full profile on goodell. he wasnt seeking the attention. it has been there all this time but just as he was talking about incidents from his childhood from 50+ years ago or tank johnson from 5 or so years ago and so forth. he didnt single us out. kinda hard to focus on goody without mentioning spygate. look he saved us.. had he released those tapes, bb may had to retire from football or answer to congress or a court of law! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Why didn't Goodell call out Kraft? Belichick is Kraft's boy, is he not? Kraft was fine with Bill B's response. Why didn't goodell pressure Kraft to make Bill B cowice like a dog and publicly apologise?   Krafts good with it, so am I. He paid a half mill its within his rite to clam up...  neener neener