Like Belichick's Approach?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Like Belichick's Approach?

I wanted to get your thoughts on Belichick's approach as head coach of the Patriots:

- How he discusses (or doesn't discuss) injuries publicly
    - How he does not publicly praise players too often
    - How he rarely (if ever) discusses contract situations through the media
    - How he never bashes an opponent through the media; according to him, they're all juggernauts in all three areas of the game.
    - How he asks players to take a bit less so there's more to spread around and thus you build added depth throughout your roster.

It's such a unique approach because look at the Jets. Every one of them gets in front of cameras and spills their guts. Ken Whisenhunt is openly sharing his thoughts on the quarterback position in Arizona. Mike Shanahan is publicly bashing and ridiculing their $100 million man, Haynesworth. Then you have the Bengals where their coach is somehow gathering the misfits of the league under his wing. Last I heard, TO and Ochocinco went for a photoshoot with the batmobile.

As fans, do you get frustrated by his approach or do you respect it? Of course, he hasn't won much lately so maybe if he's winning, it's all moot point. He knew something we didn't about Burgess but never mentioned it. He knows something about Edelman and Cunningham but he won't say it. He's had an inside track on Welker's recovery all year and never mentioned anything aside from the status quo: "he's still got ways to go."

Personally, I love the approach because I appreciate business-like environments, especially when you're successful over environments where anything goes (Jets); I've read accounts this year where analysts say players aren't so willing to go to New England anymore to win because "hey, what have they won lately?" On the other hand, I also hear some players say "who wouldn't want to play for Rex Ryan?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Re: Like Belichick's Approach?

it works, so who cares. the only people who dont like it are the media, because they actually have to try to write an article rather than just patch together a bunch of quotes (or steal one - i'm talking to you borges), and do some investigative journalism rather than rely on sources within the organization to feed them info (thats why the football "insiders" of the word like peter king hate the pats). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Like Belichick's Approach?:
    it works, so who cares. the only people who dont like it are the media, because they actually have to try to write an article rather than just patch together a bunch of quotes (or steal one - i'm talking to you borges), and do some investigative journalism rather than rely on sources within the organization to feed them info (thats why the football "insiders" of the word like peter king hate the pats). 
    Posted by artielang

It's the same reason why guys like Mike Lombardi always gets to sit down with Belichick for an interview; because he does his job the way it should be done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

As artielang says....   the media and folks who dislike the Pats will always have an ax to grind against BB. 

They consider his unwillingness to be cheerful, all smiles with a bubbly personality to tell all as being "aloof"!  Who says he has to meet their expectations?  In the end, all of them would love to have a coach who works like BB when the end results are winning seasons, playoff appearances and multiple SB wins within a short span of time.  Look at Vince Lombardi.  If he were around today, he's be as vilified as BB is now for the way he carried himself around back then.  He told it like it is and folks do not like that!

Conversely, look at Ryan.. the way he boasts about the team puts them behind the 8-ball and the way he pumped up Reavis put the Jets management in the position they are in regarding signing him.  Talk about a company man who blew the assignment!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I think BB understands how the media wants to create a circus out of anything and everything no matter if it's true or not. Feeding the circus is just a distraction so I am glad we get nothing out of BB. He also doesn't give locker room fodder for opposing teams but he will certainly use it when presented by another coach. 

So yes I like BB's approach because he doesn't give the media anything because the media isn't one bit interested in the team only in creating some sensationalism that sells. He keeps the game where it should be, on the field. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Yes I like Belichick's approach.

Jonathan Kraft was on the Patriots pregame show a couple weeks ago and was asked a question about Brady's contract situation. It was painful to listen to him struggle with the right words so the media couldn't misconstrue what he wanted to say.

The media has gotten so bad that they over-analyze every bit of information so words have to be chosen wisely so they can't be used against them.

This is why Belichick is the way he is with the media.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

The World  needs more like him!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

He is what he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Like Belichick's Approach?:
    I wanted to get your thoughts on Belichick's approach as head coach of the Patriots: - How he discusses (or doesn't discuss) injuries publicly - How he does not publicly praise players too often - How he rarely (if ever) discusses contract situations through the media - How he never bashes an opponent through the media; according to him, they're all juggernauts in all three areas of the game. - How he asks players to take a bit less so there's more to spread around and thus you build added depth throughout your roster. It's such a unique approach because look at the Jets. Every one of them gets in front of cameras and spills their guts. Ken Whisenhunt is openly sharing his thoughts on the quarterback position in Arizona. Mike Shanahan is publicly bashing and ridiculing their $100 million man, Haynesworth. Then you have the Bengals where their coach is somehow gathering the misfits of the league under his wing. Last I heard, TO and Ochocinco went for a photoshoot with the batmobile. As fans, do you get frustrated by his approach or do you respect it? Of course, he hasn't won much lately so maybe if he's winning, it's all moot point. He knew something we didn't about Burgess but never mentioned it. He knows something about Edelman and Cunningham but he won't say it. He's had an inside track on Welker's recovery all year and never mentioned anything aside from the status quo: "he's still got ways to go." Personally, I love the approach because I appreciate business-like environments, especially when you're successful over environments where anything goes (Jets); I've read accounts this year where analysts say players aren't so willing to go to New England anymore to win because "hey, what have they won lately?" On the other hand, I also hear some players say "who wouldn't want to play for Rex Ryan?"
    Posted by apdynasty23

I'd have to disagree with a couple things.  He compliments players all the time, and he never says anything bad about anybody.  Even if a player is not that great like Burgess he will just say "He is doing a good job for us and he has been practicing hard an making lots of improvement."  What he avoids is comparisons.  He never bites on questions like "is Moss better than TO?" or "Has Maroney been outplayed by Taylor?"  Just says they are great players. 

Also I don't really think he asks players to take less.  He offers them what he thinks they're worth and they take it or leave it.  Some players feel that the chance to be on a winning team is worth a little less, some don't.  Despite the rumors though the Pats have paid some huge contracts.  Seymour was the highest paid player in the NFL in 06 I think, and Moss was 4th highest last year.  BB thought they were worth the pay so they got paid.  They also value their #2's more than many teams so concessions have to be made on some good players and sometimes those players walk for more money.

I agree with the rest, and what can you say, you can't argue with success.  The odds say if all the players and coaches were equally as good than a team has a chance to win the SB once every 32 years.  They should have just as many winning seasons as losing season and only make the playoffs 3 times every 8 years.  The Pats haven't had a losing season in 10 years, won 3 SB's, and made the playoffs 8 times in 10 years.

Obviously what he is doing works better than what most everyone else is doing in the NFL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

LUV BB's approach. He basically tells the media to suckit. He keeps things in house, which I think most players like, except maybe injury issues. I cannot stand listening to Rex Ryan, such a unprofessional loud mouth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Hey, his approach works and that is all I care about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Like Belichick's Approach?:
    I wouldnt want BB any other way. Posted by MVPkilla4life

very well stated

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Since the 2001 season Belichick is 107-37 in regular season games with four Super Bowl appearances.  Maybe he does things for good reasons.

Not discussing injured players forces opponents to waste time preparing for those players.

Too often, negotiating contracts through the media undercuts your own bargaining position.

Bashing opponents tends to fire them up.  They prepare harder for you.  Belichick said that all rivals tend to dislike each other, which is a way of slightly defusing the Jets' bulletin board material.  Maybe the Jets will concentrate more on their first game with the Ravens now, and will deal with the Pats after that game. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree with shenanigan that BB does praise players in public.  When he criticizes, he criticizes the team as a whole, always making a point to include the coaching in the criticism.  I'm sure in private, he's more direct with players, but in public statements he says only nice things about individuals. Of course, everything is very balanced and low key.  He points out good things people do, but doesn't praise wildly.   

I think he's very smart not to talk to much about injuries or contracts or other things like that.  Sometimes it's frustrating as a fan who wants more information, but it keeps information away from competitors and that helps the team.

The one area I do sometimes question BB in is his approach to talent.  Generally, I think BB is smart to emphasize value--to maximize draft picks and not to pay too much for certain players in certain positions.  But sometimes I think the talent level on the team has dropped and we just don't have enough impact-type players. We also seem to have some huge holes in our roster each year.  We've gone whole seasons with too few decent receivers, too few decent D-backs (despite lots of value picks in those positions), too few decent OLBs, and now too few decent offensive tackles.  There are a lot of constraints, of course, especially for a team that consistently wins and therefore consistently has lower draft picks, but I do wonder whether the Pats are really getting the best possible talent through the draft, free agency, and re-signing of players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Certainly the way he does things gives them a competitive advantage. As a fan I'd like to know a little more about the team and what's going on, but as long as they win what else can you have or expect. However if they start loosing his act will not help him or the frachise. The media will turn on him and the team faster than you can imagine. And the media has a way of turning the fan base against a team or coach and if and when this happens it will be interesting to see if Kraft asks him to be a little more user friendly. That is what happend to him in Cleveland, he was the most hated man in Ohio and he wouldn't change his approach.

Sections
Shortcuts