Linemen are too high on Pats' board

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Linemen are too high on Pats' board

So we had 12 picks in this draft; 3 were defensive tackles, 3 were offensive linement.  I realize this team favors depth up front but this is a bit absurd.  If you look at the Pats the one area they don't need any immediate help is defensive line, followed closely by offensive line (though I understand long term needs at both spots).

This explains why every lineman drafted to New England goes higher than any other team or "expert" would have picked them.  In fairness, these are the two areas where Belichick is near dead on in terms of evaluating talent.  In addition, the proportion of offensive linemen picked was probably on par with the percentage of your offense that is on the field at any given time.

I really think the Pats had a strong draft if you consider two guys that could have gone in the first round were acquired in the second.  But at the same time one has to wonder if they're just oversaturating certain positions by avoiding making a tough choice on, say, a pass rusher in favor of picking up a guy whose higher on the board because of their preferences.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Linemen are too high on Pats' board

Sonny do you know why they are so high on BB's draft board? Because it's the Big Uglies that set the tone! If your bigs can't dominate then you don't win the line of scrimmage,you don't win the line of scrimmage then you don't win many games. So though the glamour guys are drafted by other teams BB drafts the players who can dominate the game because wins are what count not how pretty you look in a loss!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

the patriots don't care how other teams or "experts" rate players. this goes for the draft and for free agents. some hit, some don't. but you really can't argue with the overall results. also, despite what the mel kipers of the world may say, i think if you do a little research, you will see that not a single player the pats took in the first for rounds would have been available by their next pick (including edelman, who would have been drafted by the bears). so the pats got players that they targeted, not that mel kiper and others targeted for them. and also keep in mind that besides the two db's, this is a draft for the future. we won't be seeing these o-lineman for a few years, and by then several of the current starters and back ups will be gone. on the d-line, i'm not sure that brace will ever be more than a rotational back-up type to wilfork. the pats will not let wilfork walk just because they drafted brace. but having him in a rotation with brace will prolong his career. the other two probably don't make the team, but i doubt anyone taken so low does, so why not take a flyer on two big bodies. who knows, maybe one will develop with some training and conditioning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I like it. Quality DEs for the 3-4 are hella expensive.

Get like 5 in the draft and see who looks the best against NFL competition. Maybe they end up with a steal who can start at a high level. You never know.

They grabbed a handful of OL too. Same thing. Scattergun approach. I approve.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

Enjoyed reading your posts. There are players whose contracts expire after this season, others have ongoing physical problems, others that are at or beyond the height of their careers or lacking in ability. One large obstacle is the impending likelyhood that salary caps will be disposed of for the 2010 season. Consider Wilfork, Seymore and Greene all are in their final year of the existing contract. On offense the same thing.  Neal's indicated that his injuries may lead to his departure this preseason. IMO BB is handling things perfectly he continues to constantly rebild the team ie: Vrable, Paxton, Izzo and Hobbs are gone and others such as Rodney Harrison, Koshier (SPELLING) and yes, Maroney and others will follow. BB's outlook I believe is whatever is in the best interest of the team. Where were the Pat's prior to BB. What say you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I agree if we only look at this year but we need to remember we have 3 starters in DL and a few on OL that are FAs after this year.  We needed to put guys in the system this year in case next year they need to step up. 

This was the draft to do it in, with a draft what was weak in every position it made since.  I don't care what experts say or other clubs.  Other clubs are trying to copy the Patriot way so for us to base any grade on our draft based on what other NFL teams would have done is a waste of time.

BB has hit on DL/OL so I think the guys we picked up will be great for us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Anyone who knows anything about football knows that a team is built up front withits Oline and its Dline. It all starts in the trenches so you can never have enough young linemen...never. This was a very strong draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Looking at it from a historical perspective, I think BB wants to beef up the O-line for more protection of the QB (SuperBowl, TB's knee, Cassel's sack total) and wants to beef up the D-line because of the lack of cornerback coverage last year.  If you have a good pass rush, you can have mediocre CBs because QBs have less time to throw.  If you have no pass rush, you better have some shutdown corners because opposing QBs will have all day to make the throws.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Wonder if they have two capable CB's this year they might be able to do more safety blitzes and maybe be more creative in their pass rush ala Super Bowl championship years. Last year they seemed way too conservative given that Hobbs and O'Neal couldn't cover anyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

Depth on the offensive and defensive lines was IMO their biggest draft need(besides pass rushers) and they obviously felt the same.  I am sure the Patriots felt that drafting a pass rusher was too big of a projection to waste a pick on or they were happy with the players they have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I like Brace.  He's an avalanche like even Wilfork isn't.  He needs a year, and he's got a year.  Both Wilfork and Seymour are going for the big cash that 31 Patriots wannabes will certainly pay in 2010.  Cash is the name of the game for most players.

I like Vollmer.  Again, no coach cares beans about where a second round pick will be this year, it's all about the third year and beyond, when guys have learned their trade well.  Vollmer is going to be an agile, 330 pound or better, 6 foot 8 inch right tackle with enormous arms by his third year.

I have no feelings on the lower rounds yet.  Usually seventh rounders are going to fill up the practice squad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I'm not saying this was a poor draft or even that I disliked the players at these positions.  My feeling is simply that the Pats cover guys up front so much they almost get to the point of overlooking other positions.

There have been weaknesses on this team - not on the defensive line and not so much on the offensive line.  Properly address all the weak areas (i.e., pass rush) then worry about picking up three defensive linemen (Brace will probably be the only one that sticks mind you).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

If you think the Pats overspend on OL/DL....take a look at the Eagles and Ravens.

They frequently spend top picks on the trenches.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

i disagree... while they dont need any help right now on the dline, (that point i agree with) picking up 3 dlineman was all about giving them depth/youth/options at the positions with wilfork and seymours contracts coming up so soon.

similar thing with the oline also, but i think however, that oline was much more of an area of "need" than dline... not saying it was necessarily a need, but you can never have too many good offensive lineman in your rotation. and there are question marks with neal; kazcur nothing spectacular, and matt light is matt light... ive waited years to find his replacment, one day that will come.
    also, mankins contract is up soon as well.

so honestly, by no means, imo, do the pats put any more emphasis or value on d line or o line, i just think you perhaps werent aware of all of the reasons as to why they spent half of their picks on those 2 areas in this draft

Sections
Shortcuts