Lions Love Weed More Than Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football:
    Is it just me or do athletes get busted more frequently for recreational drug use than the average recreational user?  How do they get caught so easily?
    Posted by pcmIV

Cuz its obvious they dont care if they get caught. They think whats the worst thats gonna happen, get a fine and a slap on the wrist from the team he plays for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

You ever see the back of a twenty dollar bill... Yea. You ever see the back of a twenty dollar bill... on weed? Oh, there's some crazy sh!t, man. There's a dude in the bushes. Has he got a gun? I dunno! RED TEAM GO, RED TEAM GO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Bottom line it's against the law, violates NFLPA terms and I'm sure the provisions of his contract. Your getting payed large sums of dough and you can't abstain from from lighting one up, really.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : testing for alcohol or tobacco would be more conducive to player health. pot has no deleterious effect on health.
    Posted by bredbru

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

Seriously you believe that mj has no effect on health.....

Although legalization activists and many marijuana users believe smoking pot has no negative effects, scientific research indicates that marijuana use can cause many different health problems.

Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States. When smoked, it begins to effect users almost immediately and can last for one to three hours. When it is eaten in food, such as baked in brownies and cookies, the effects take longer to begin, but usually last longer.

Has smoking weed become a problem for you?
    Take the Marijuana Screening Quiz

Short-Term Effects

The short-term effects of marijuana include:Sometimes marijuana use can also produce anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.

Effects on the Brain

The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.

When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms:

Effects on the Heart

Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time.

Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking.

Effects on the Lungs

Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including:

Other Health Effects

Research indicates that THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems. One study found that marijuana actually inhibited the disease-preventing actions of key immune cells. Another study found that THC increased the risk of developing bacterial infections and tumors.

Effects of Exposure During Pregnancy

Several studies have found that children born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy exhibit some problems with neurological development. According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm Seriously you believe that mj has no effect on health..... Although legalization activists and many marijuana users believe smoking pot has no negative effects, scientific research indicates that marijuana use can cause many different health problems. Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States. When smoked, it begins to effect users almost immediately and can last for one to three hours. When it is eaten in food, such as baked in brownies and cookies, the effects take longer to begin, but usually last longer. Has smoking weed become a problem for you? Take the Marijuana Screening Quiz Short-Term Effects The short-term effects of marijuana include: Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch) Problems with memory and learning Loss of coordination Trouble with thinking and problem-solving Increased heart rate , reduced blood pressure Sometimes marijuana use can also produce anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic. Effects on the Brain The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement. When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms: Hallucinations Delusions Impaired memory Disorientation Effects on the Heart Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time. Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking. Effects on the Lungs Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including: Other Health Effects Research indicates that THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems. One study found that marijuana actually inhibited the disease-preventing actions of key immune cells. Another study found that THC increased the risk of developing bacterial infections and tumors. Effects of Exposure During Pregnancy Several studies have found that children born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy exhibit some problems with neurological development. According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause:
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

I am not naive enough to believe that marijuana has no negative effects, but nothing on that list sounds worse than side effects from legal things like alcohol or cigarettes.

In addition unlike alcohol marijuana does not have a risk of overdose nor is it chemically addictive like cigarettes (I won't get into psychological addiction because that's a whole different animal).

I don't agree with people that say it should be legalized because there is nothing bad about it, but I think you can make a decent case that it isn't any more dangerous then things we have chosen to legalize.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Are there any drugs that don't have negative side effects. Half of every prescription med commercial is devoted to listing the negative side effects it may have on someone.
          Any athelete that screws up their professional career just to smoke some buds though is making a huge mistake. You can be on top for only so long so take advantage of it while you can. You'll have the rest of your life to smoke up and reflect on the glory days of a professional football career unmarred by dumb decisions you made at the time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : I am not naive enough to believe that marijuana has no negative effects, but nothing on that list sounds worse than side effects from legal things like alcohol or cigarettes. In addition unlike alcohol marijuana does not have a risk of overdose nor is it chemically addictive like cigarettes (I won't get into psychological addiction because that's a whole different animal). I don't agree with people that say it should be legalized because there is nothing bad about it, but I think you can make a decent case that it isn't any more dangerous then things we have chosen to legalize.
    Posted by pcmIV

I believe that it is legal in 14 states.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : I believe that it is legal in 14 states.
    Posted by MoreRings

It's decriminalized for small quantities and legal with prescription for medical reasons (oxy and morphine are legal for prescriptions under medical supervison too). That is different then legal as a whole

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : Sometimes I wish your posts were shorter so more people would read them. this time, you really, REALLY nailed it. The only thing I would argue against somewhat is that regular pot smoking makes people dumb. I've seen a LOT of evidence against this...myself being one. Past 12 years, multiple times daily...I don't think I'm any less intelligent now, than when I started at 19. At 26-27 I was working as an editor for a large engineering firm dealing with very technical documents and it was never a problem. Although...maybe my intelligence WOULD be Einsteinian without the pot? Interesting thought... Memory? Definitely effect the short term, absolutely no question. I often lose trains of thought, many times while typing out a post here. Motivation? Painfully so. I don't know what it is, but a steady diet of marijuana has seemingly changed my priorities. Why is vacuuming important? I mean, I know it's important, but most people I know do it at least weekly...why? Same for mowing lawns...why are people so obsessed with having a perfectly manicured and uniform 1/2 inch of grass covering their front yards? Sure, it's ok to look at...but what else? Why all the dedication of time, money and effort? People work 5-6 days a week, do yard work another, then house work...for what? Some NEEDS to be done, but do we all need to live in houses cleaner than the local hospital? Sheesh. Gateway drug? Hardly. I smoke pot regularly, and avoid taking even an aspirin for a headache. I've never even tried anything else, not shrooms, pills, powders or anything else. I also rarely drink (and by rarely, my last was over 2 years ago, and I was never a big drinker to begin with). It's a total farce. It's a gateway drug only because it's accessible to kids, and kids that have addictive personalities and WANT to try other things tend to start with pot just because of the availability, not because it drives them towards stronger things. Of the many pot-head people I've known, a few liked an occassional mushroom, but not much beyond that. Help with depression? Oh yes, without a doubt. It numbs all your emotions. You don't get as mad, or sad. You may get giggly, but not truly happy. I guess it's kind of a mood stabilizer, you don't get up or down with it. Some people I know talk about the clarity it offers. Some mention it opens their minds, or gets them in touch with their creativity (poetry, painting, song writing, listening to music...all things increased while high). It can help give cancer patients an appetite when the chemo is ravaging them. It can make people less anxious, though it does also have a paranoid effect on some. Although, all drugs offer paradoxical effect at times, to some people...why would pot be any different? Drug companies obviously don't want it. But don't forget about the textile and paper companies either. They are the reason it was originally outlawed and still have a vested interest in keeping it illegal. Watch the commercials for all these drugs on the market. Then wait 2-4 years, and watch all these commercials from lawyers looking for former users to sue the drug companies for s c r e w i n g them up. What a joke, I don't trust any pill made in a lab. I DO, however, have more faith in a plant that grows in the ground. Sure, poison grown naturally too...but the manufactored poisons are far more potent and deadly. There is no good reason to keep pot illegal when tobacco and alcohol are acceptable. There is no greater legal hypocrisy on the books.
    Posted by ma6dragon9
    no time to respond the the whole post. very thoughtful.

i will however point those interested to the data that alcohol is much more a gateway drug than pot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : I am not naive enough to believe that marijuana has no negative effects, but nothing on that list sounds worse than side effects from legal things like alcohol or cigarettes. In addition unlike alcohol marijuana does not have a risk of overdose nor is it chemically addictive like cigarettes (I won't get into psychological addiction because that's a whole different animal). I don't agree with people that say it should be legalized because there is nothing bad about it, but I think you can make a decent case that it isn't any more dangerous then things we have chosen to legalize.
    Posted by pcmIV

it totally should be legalized. take crime out of it (oragnized crime and making citazens into criminals)
    im not going to even get into citing stuidies. big pahrma will give you whatever results you want.

lookup stats on serious health effects of alcohol and ciagarettes (the numbers). they  both dwarf all illegal drug use combined.

pot wont make you sick.
    sure using a vaporizer is less stressful on the lungs. you are not going to get lung or any other cancer from marijuana however

there are numerous known carcinogens contained within commercial cigarretes.

alcohol is poison and the liver must rid of it immeddiately.
    longterm use leads to diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and a laundry list of degeneritive disease, not to mention destroying the liver.

alcohol is a conductor to criminal activity. pot is not.

marijauna is a crime for political and commercial reasons.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Are there any drugs that don't have negative side effects. Half of every prescription med commercial is devoted to listing the negative side effects it may have on someone.       Any athelete that screws up their professional career just to smoke some buds though is making a huge mistake. You can be on top for only so long so take advantage of it while you can. You'll have the rest of your life to smoke up and reflect on the glory days of a professional football career unmarred by dumb decisions you made at the time.      
    Posted by patsfaninpa420

you may have a point here, however the whole american culture is about right now. doing what i want and getting what i want - right now. this goes for the wealthiest corporiteers to the lowest income bracket. however the tone for the culture is set at the top. get as mush as you can as fast as you can no matter the cost, whether its cheating, killing consumers with a product you know isnt safe, stealing materials from other countries, on and on and on. i could write for months and not stop with all the examples, just referring to those at the top of the economic ladder.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : you may have a point here, however the whole american culture is about right now. doing what i want and getting what i want - right now. this goes for the wealthiest corporiteers to the lowest income bracket. however the tone for the culture is set at the top. get as mush as you can as fast as you can no matter the cost, whether its cheating, killing consumers with a product you know isnt safe, stealing materials from other countries, on and on and on. i could write for months and not stop with all the examples, just referring to those at the top of the economic ladder.
    Posted by bredbru

The tone for corporations is to get paid. If smoking pot prevents you from a big payday then your argument should be, don't do it

Ask Hern if he wouldn't have liked to be paid like a top 2nd round pick right now. Since he's been clean I'm sure he'll get paid. But, now look at Leshoure. 1 yr without playing and now might miss another 6 games for suspension. How much money did he cost himself in his next contract if the Lions just release him or only use him as a backup?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Weed does less damage to the game than Roger Goodell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : testing for alcohol or tobacco would be more conducive to player health. pot has no deleterious effect on health.
    Posted by bredbru

While I would generally agree that people who like to toke up are probably less dangerous, overall, than drunks, it's people who say stuff like this that make y'all look stupid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : While I would generally agree that people who like to toke up are probably less dangerous, overall, than drunks, it's people who say stuff like this that make y'all look stupid.
    Posted by p-mike

pmike your words are quite uninformed.
    before you throw out "stupid" remarks, do 10 -15 years of research ok(failing that, at least a few weeks)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Lions Love Weed More Than Football : The tone for corporations is to get paid. If smoking pot prevents you from a big payday then your argument should be, don't do it Ask Hern if he wouldn't have liked to be paid like a top 2nd round pick right now. Since he's been clean I'm sure he'll get paid. But, now look at Leshoure. 1 yr without playing and now might miss another 6 games for suspension. How much money did he cost himself in his next contract if the Lions just release him or only use him as a backup?
    Posted by PatsEng

your point is taken. i dont see anyone arguing that.
    some may be arguing to change that, but not the reality.

Sections
Shortcuts