List of UDFAs, who can make the roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

List of UDFAs, who can make the roster?

I think the Pats have done as good of a job signing UDFAs as they did in the draft.  All of their signings have the ability to make a roster but with the depth of the team it makes it difficult for any of these guys to be on the Patriots 53 roster.  Below a bit of information on each and what I think their chances are looking at the other players on the roster.  

Jeremiah Warren OT/OG/OC 6'3" 324 lbs - Warren's best asset its his versatility, has played LT, G and is able to play OC.  Big powerful kid, high school wrestler who's raw but can develop into a very good OC/OG.  With depth of the OL Warren would probably be a PS player his first year and make the 53 man roster in 2013.  He has starting type skills as an interior OL, also has experience at LT which he could play if there are injuries.  

Markus Zusevics OT/OG 6'5" 303 lbs - This might be one of my favorite signings.  Zusevics should had been drafted on ability alone, he's a good run blocker and has quick feet with good lateral movement and kick slide.  He tore his pec muscle at the combine and might not be ready this season which is the reason he went undrafted.  Iowa kid who's very well coached, lacks elite size, very lean 303.  He has the ability to be a swing tackle or starting RT.  If he's not ready he gets put on IR, and in 2013 he makes the team.

Marcus Forston DT 6'2" 301 lbs - Forston probably would had benefited from staying in school another season.  Has had a lot of injuries but has very good interior pass rushing skills but he's not a good run stuffer.  Whether it is conditioning or his inability to play with leverage he is a much better pass rusher.  Had he stayed in school and had a season without injuries he could had been a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year.  PS, don't see him beating out anyone on the roster.  In 2013 he'll compete for a roster spot but needs to get better in stopping the run.  Very strong, 225lbs 35 times at combine but it doesn't translate to the football field because he losses the leverage battle.

Brad Herman TE 6'5" 253 lbs - Patriots old TE coach, coach Ferentz is the Iowa OL coach now. With Herman and Zusevics the Patriots got all the insider information they wanted.  Herman is a better blocker than he is a pass catcher right now but was a very reliable target in the red zone and short yardage, it was the long passes that gave him some trouble.  I don't think he beats Fells for the 3rd TE spot and Herman has enough ability he will be claimed off waivers.  He will be on a team this season but don't think it will be with the Patriots, in the unlikely event he's not claim he's a sure in for a PS spot and adds depth in case of an injury to the TEs.

Matt Roark WR 6'5" 225 lbs - Mr. Versatility himself, Roark has done just about everything on the O side at Kentucky.  Played WR, QB, ran the ball out of the backfield and was a standout ST player, 7 blocked kicks.  Big body not fast (4.72 40 at pro day).  With the depth at WR Roark's only chance is as STs but with Slater already imbedded in that spot I don't see him able to make it.  Possible PS candidate but a team looking for a standout ST player could claim him off waivers.  

Justin Francis DE/OLB 6'3" 268 lbs - If the final roster spot was between Francis or Cunningham, Francis takes it hands down.  Has had significant snaps at DT, DE and OLB, experience at all three.  He doesn't have top end speed but he's a very instinctive player, who stays within the design of the play.  Strong at the POA, can set the edge.  With the depth now at DE/OLB I just don't see a roster spot.  The Jets were very interested in Francis pre draft and as a UDFA, as was his old coach with the Bucs so either he makes the Patriots or he'll be with another team. 

Brandon Bolden RB 5'11" 222 lbs - He's immediately in competition with Addai who has similar size 5'11" 215 lbs.  Addai's impact in pass protection and in the passing game can't be ignored.  If Bolden can show ability in these two areas he has a shot but if he can't pass protect I don't see him beating out Addai and I don't see 5 RBs on the roster.  Maybe 4 and a FB.  Another player who probably doesn't make it through waivers.  He created a lot of interest as an UDFA.  Addai's history with injuries can't be ignore but right now I give the edge to Addai.  Just comes down to pass protection, how quickly can Bolden pick it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Re: UDFAs, who can make the roster?

Nice post.  As usual, BB picks an interesting array of talent that should yield one potential contributor down the line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster?

A lot of folks don't realize it because of all the hype around the draft, but nearly half the rookies who enter the NFL each year (i.e., make either a 53-man roster or a practice squad) are undrafted.  BB is very good at picking and developing these guys, so I won't be surprised at all if one or two of them end up being signficant contributors this year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

It is going to be an interesting year in terms of the cut players and practice squad. With the 90 man roster limit there are going to be something like 1200 players cut before opening day. A bunch of those are going to just be warm camp bodies, but that is a huge number for teams to sort through. I think because they will have cut so many players, the number of players being poached from other teams cuts will be less than in recent years. And the poaching will probably be for more established players rather than draft picks or UDFAs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The player that has the best shot of sticking with the team, imo, is Zusevics just for shear talent but here's my guess.

PUP - /> IR'd or on 53 man depending on injury:

Zusevics - This kid would have been a mid round pick if not late day 2 pick if not for the torn pec. Because of the torn pec most teams wouldn't take a chance on a undersized T with high upside when there were plenty of other options available.

My guess is that he'll be PuP'd and unless there is an emergency he'll be IR'd essentially red shirting him this year. During that year period the Pats will design a plan for him to bulk up and add some additional strength. Next year he'll come in and compete for a backup T job when Cannon gets moved inside to replace Waters

Outside shot of making 53 squad or at least try to sneak onto the PS:

Warren - Warren has the versatility and Pro ready size to move everywhere on the line. He'll be going up against Thomas, Wendell, and McDonald for a spot on the 53 man roster. I can see him beating out Wendell in camp but he'll have to make a strong case by picking things up quickly. If Scar sees something in the kid (ala Neal) don't be surprised to see him on the non-gameday 53 man roster to prevent other teams from claiming him

Francis - Francis is the classic DE/OLB tweener that BB loves to give shots to. Every year there are 1-2 players BB keeps on the LB squad to see what they have and then they mysteriously come down with an injury if BB likes them but they need to develop. Francis could be that kid this year. With the addition of the other player the list is long to try to get in but his main competition will be M Carter, White, Cunningham, Carpenter, Silverstro, and Scott. At least 2 of that list will most likely make the 53 man squad. Given Cunningham taking a step back, White mainly a STer, Carpenter not showing his potential, and Silverstro/Carter still unproven he could impress and earn a spot otherwise 7393 is right he won't clear waivers

PS players or claimed on waivers:

Bolden - Many are comparing Bolden to BJGE and I can see the comparison but lets not forget that BJGE started his career with a couple years on the PS too. Bolden still has to alleviate concerns about maturity and still needs to prove to be an asset over the current list of players. With the addition of Addai it might be tough for him to crack the roster if they do carry a FB this season

Herman - He's coming to us from a former TE coach with his recommendation. This alone will earn him a PS spot if he clears waivers, but as 7393 said he might not clear waivers. I just don't see the Pats carrying more then 3 TE's entering the season, but he does add good depth

Camp body, taking a flyer on potential:

Forston - Forston has never lived up to his blue chip status out of HS. Injures and inability to properly us leverage at the line along with being washed out on run players wiped his draft stock. He has high potential if it can be utilized but he's never met it. This seems like a flyer type of player that either shows flashes of his potential in pre-season and proves he can learn from the coaches for a PS spot or is just dropped completely

Roark - Roark has potential for essentially his size alone. Other then that he isn't even an average WR. Maybe he can learn to use his big body to block out defenders and niches out a role as a #4/5 possession WR on short yards but that's to be seen. If he can fill that niche he'll be sneaked onto the PS as practice for the D acting like the quicker TE hybrids they could run up against while he develops. A player like Ebert though will have a better shot at PS if he can't find a role on the 53man squad

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Excellent thread and very helpful analysis.  I'm not so sure that one or both of those OL don't make the 53 man roster, depending on what happens in camp and the unpredictability of injuries. 

I really am looking forward to the entire process: camps, pre-season, reg season, and, I daresay, playoffs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

on a couple of points, I hope with the number of players released some of these guys fall through to PS because I don't see any that could eventually become a solid contributor if not a starter.

PE my only concern with Zeus lol, its his torn pec muscle.  I agree he's pro ready now specially his run blocking ability.  He can play everything but OC which is very decirable but is he 100%? or at least by beginning of camp.  I agree he's a perfect candidate for the PUP and see what happens then.

I really like Warren I too think Wendle's spot is up for grabs and Warren has too much versatility to ignore.  Scar can just say, " Warren Smash " lol.  I like his size and can move for a man that size.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster?:
    A lot of folks don't realize it because of all the hype around the draft, but nearly half the rookies who enter the NFL each year (i.e., make either a 53-man roster or a practice squad) are undrafted.  BB is very good at picking and developing these guys, so I won't be surprised at all if one or two of them end up being signficant contributors this year. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

If you think about it Pro there are 253 drafted players each year. Now, not including IR or PuP there are 1952 spots for players in the NFL. With an average career lifespan of an NFL player being 3 years that means on average 650 players need to be replaced every year and that's not even including the IR average. That means just by the numbers alone more then 50% of rooks need to be UDFA's just to fill rosters from players retiring every year. That doesn't mean that any of those players will actually do anything significant in their short careers (most UDFA's have careers less the 2 years just to average out the rest of the league). So, don't expect anything from the UDFA's compared to drafted players. Now with that said Tampa and the Pats are the two teams with the most UDFA's that actually play snaps on gameday so the UDFA's on TB and the Pats have the best shot of making a roster which is a good sign but saying that half the rooks are UDFA's coming into the league is a misleading stat compared to how many actually contribute snaps to the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

on a couple of points, I hope with the number of players released some of these guys fall through to PS because I don't see any that could eventually become a solid contributor if not a starter. PE my only concern with Zeus lol, its his torn pec muscle.  I agree he's pro ready now specially his run blocking ability.  He can play everything but OC which is very decirable but is he 100%? or at least by beginning of camp.  I agree he's a perfect candidate for the PUP and see what happens then. I really like Warren I too think Wendle's spot is up for grabs and Warren has too much versatility to ignore.  Scar can just say, " Warren Smash " lol.  I like his size and can move for a man that size.  
    Posted by Pats7393

Well I agree on "Zeus" (I like that) about that torn pec muscle. That's why I think he gets PuP'd and then most likely IR'd unless there is a rash of injured OL. IMO they use that red shirt year to give him a workout plan and get him larger and ready for 13' but of all the UDFA's they brought in he is the most Pro ready if healthy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Nice to have some options and competition.  Does anyone not think that one or two of these guys will stick to the PS and become the next Connolly or Kyle Love?  Bolden sounds particularly interesting, seems he is a versatile runner and is receiving threat.  There are some interesting PS options at the very least and some guys to push the vets.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster? : If you think about it Pro there are 253 drafted players each year. Now, not including IR or PuP there are 1952 spots for players in the NFL. With an average career lifespan of an NFL player being 3 years that means on average 650 players need to be replaced every year and that's not even including the IR average. That means just by the numbers alone more then 50% of rooks need to be UDFA's just to fill rosters from players retiring every year. That doesn't mean that any of those players will actually do anything significant in their short careers (most UDFA's have careers less the 2 years just to average out the rest of the league). So, don't expect anything from the UDFA's compared to drafted players. Now with that said Tampa and the Pats are the two teams with the most UDFA's that actually play snaps on gameday so the UDFA's on TB and the Pats have the best shot of making a roster which is a good sign but saying that half the rooks are UDFA's coming into the league is a misleading stat compared to how many actually contribute snaps to the team.
    Posted by PatsEng

A couple of years ago, a guy who works with NFL Labor told me that, on average, about 230 drafted rookies and about 210 undrafted rookies make 53-man or practice squad rosters every year. You're right that a lot of those undrafted rookies don't last long, but the same is true of low-round draft picks. 

I've never looked at the numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if close to 20% of the NFL players who last at least five years were undrafted. Guys like Kyle Arrington, Dan Connolly, Wes Welker, Steve Gregory, Rob Ninkovich, and Danny Woodhead all started as UDFAs and have been significant contributors.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Nice to have some options and competition.  Does anyone not think that one or two of these guys will stick to the PS and become the next Connolly or Kyle Love?  Bolden sounds particularly interesting, seems he is a versatile runner and is receiving threat.  There are some interesting PS options at the very least and some guys to push the vets.    
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

I think each of these guys can land on practice squad, the problem is most are really talented and could make a team roster with another team.  Last year for example Pats waived both TEs hopping both or at least one slipped through for the PS but both were immediately claimed.  I see the same with most of these players. 

The Jets will be all over Justin Francis, they worked him out extensively and spoke very highly of him.  If he gets waived, the Jets still have need of depth and another starting OLB in their 34.  

The OL guys specially I wouldn't try to waive, both guys (Zeus will be on PUP) upgrade or add quality depth.

Two options with bolden, he makes the team or he's gone to another team. There's 0 chance he'll make it through waivers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster? : A couple of years ago, a guy who works with NFL Labor told me that, on average, about 230 drafted rookies and about 210 undrafted rookies make 53-man or practice squad rosters every year. You're right that a lot of those undrafted rookies don't last long, but the same is true of low-round draft picks.  I've never looked at the numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if close to 20% of the NFL players who last at least five years were undrafted. Guys like Kyle Arrington, Dan Connolly, Wes Welker, Steve Gregory, Rob Ninkovich, and Danny Woodhead all started as UDFAs and have been significant contributors.

You are looking at it from the NE Patriots roster who, other then Tampa, has the largest amount of UDFA's in the league. Now you have to figure that if a player lasts 5 years in the league they will make a 53 man squad after 5 years so I'm just going by that mark that you set. When you go down the list UDFA's made up 36% of the Pats 53 man squad at the end of the 2011 were UDFA's (Hoyer, Arrington, BJGE, Woodhead, Welker, McDonald, Wendell, Waters, Love, Silverstro, Fletcher, Guyton, White, Brown, Ihedigbo, Moore, Aiken, Connolly Polite). Only 6 of those players has played for more then 5 yrs (Waters, Connolly Welker, Ihedigbo, Polite, White) and if you include anticipated players who are currently signed by the Pats to the 12' roster who will be in at least their 5th season the number becomes 8 (Wendell, Connolly, Woodhead, Welker, Waters, White, Arrington, Gregory). So even with a team like the Pats that are top 2 in terms of amount of UDFA's on the team only 15% of the current roster are UDFA's in the league for over 5 years. The rest of the league average is most likely much lower. My guess is % wise that the mark is closer to 5-10%. Considering that as you pointed out 50% of the rooks entering the league are UDFA's and we take the larger league average number (10%) that would mean 1 out of 5 guys who go UDFA's will remain in the league for 5 years, regardless if they are backups or starters. So, if the Pats brought in 8 UDFA's given their hit rate along with the league average you figure only 1-3 of the players they brought in will last more then 5 years. What's even more disturbing is if you remove the players the Pats didn't sign as rooks but after establishing themselves in the league the Pats roster drops to 6% of the active roster are UDFA's that the Pats sign as rooks and lasted in the league for 5 years (provided they aren't cut in camp). That's typically why people get more excited about drafted players because there is a significantly higher chance a player will last in the league at least 5 years if drafted (in the Pats case 85% vs 15% which the Pats have the 2nd most UDFA's on the active roster in the league)

Nink was a 5th round pick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Eng . . . to do a truly fair comparison you need to calculate what percentage of players with five or more years of experience on the Pats roster were undrafted.  Right now, to calculate your 15% number, you're removing the UDFAs with less than five years of experience but not the drafted players with less than five years experience.  A fairer comparison would be to remove all players with less than five years experience from the calc and then calculate the percentage of UDFAs in the group that remains. 

Still, the precise percentage isn't really the point.  All I'm claiming is that a fairly significant number of good NFL players were undrafted.  Sure, the majority of good NFL players were drafted, but UDFAs are an important part of the NFL talent base. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think it will be tough for any of the UDFAs to make the current Pats roster. At OLine, there are Sold, Mank, Conn, Waters, Voll as starters and Koppen, Gallery, and Cannon as solid back-ups. Then you have the 2-4 year guys the team seems to like: Hix, Kopa, McDonald and Thomas, plus maybe Ohrnberger. So that is 5 starters and 3 back-ups that are close to locks. The team typically carries 9-10 OLine so the UDFAs are fighting 4-5 guys that have been in Scar's school for a couple of years and on an NFL strength/conditioning program. Tough to see the opening.
    While the DLine/LBs are more in flux, there are both vets and high draft Picks in front of the UDFAs - a number of vets will get cut already, keeping a UDFA will mean another cut.
    I think Bolden might have the easiest road - I see three 3 locks out of a probable 5 roster places (Vareen, Ridley, and Woodhead) So Bolden is competing against 3 FBs and Addai for two spots - I don't think it is a given that any FB will make the roster.
    But ... claiming a player means that you have to give him a spot on your 53 man roster, and all the teams will be cutting around 37 players - I think it is more likely they grab some of the vets from other teams than that they are looking for UDFAs being cut by the Pats.
    Question - if the Pats really like one fo their UDFAs or a 5/6th rounder - do they keep him out of preseason games so no one gets any film on the guy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Bolden might have the easiest road - I see three 3 locks out of a probable 5 roster places (Vareen, Ridley, and Woodhead) So Bolden is competing against 3 FBs and Addai for two spots - I don't think it is a given that any FB will make the roster. Posted by mia76

It may be sacreligious to say so, but I'm not sure Woodhead is a lock for the roster.  His production dropped off last year and I could see him losing his spot if (a) one of the young players proves he has good potential as the passing down back and (b) Addai has a good showing as the veteran back up.   

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think it will be tough for any of the UDFAs to make the current Pats roster. At OLine, there are Sold, Mank, Conn, Waters, Voll as starters and Koppen, Gallery, and Cannon as solid back-ups. Then you have the 2-4 year guys the team seems to like: Hix, Kopa, McDonald and Thomas, plus maybe Ohrnberger. So that is 5 starters and 3 back-ups that are close to locks. The team typically carries 9-10 OLine so the UDFAs are fighting 4-5 guys that have been in Scar's school for a couple of years and on an NFL strength/conditioning program. Tough to see the opening. While the DLine/LBs are more in flux, there are both vets and high draft Picks in front of the UDFAs - a number of vets will get cut already, keeping a UDFA will mean another cut. I think Bolden might have the easiest road - I see three 3 locks out of a probable 5 roster places (Vareen, Ridley, and Woodhead) So Bolden is competing against 3 FBs and Addai for two spots - I don't think it is a given that any FB will make the roster. But ... claiming a player means that you have to give him a spot on your 53 man roster, and all the teams will be cutting around 37 players - I think it is more likely they grab some of the vets from other teams than that they are looking for UDFAs being cut by the Pats. Question - if the Pats really like one fo their UDFAs or a 5/6th rounder - do they keep him out of preseason games so no one gets any film on the guy?
    Posted by mia76

that's a tough question, if you like a prospect it is only based on projections and need to see how he does facing NFL caliber players in game time situations to determine if he's worth the spot.  I don't see teams not playing a guy to not have film on him.

I like this crop of UDFAs, I think they got some quality players.  Patriots when for quality rather than quantity, some teams have 20+ UDFAs signed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In Response to Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster? : that's a tough question, if you like a prospect it is only based on projections and need to see how he does facing NFL caliber players in game time situations to determine if he's worth the spot.  I don't see teams not playing a guy to not have film on him. I like this crop of UDFAs, I think they got some quality players.  Patriots when for quality rather than quantity, some teams have 20+ UDFAs signed.
    Posted by Pats7393

I'm thinking about some of these players that really have little chance of making it to the 53 man roster this year - Ebert - there is a huge logjam at receiver, but a lot of age/contract issues in 2013. Same for OLine. A player like Ebner - needs a year of learning before he would really get consideration for anything except ST. But getting them to the practice squad would be great, but less likely to happen if they had good tape from preseason. Just a thought, and one that I am sure has been used previously by some coach. Problem with PUP and IR is that they can't practice with the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I like Warren and Bolden to make the team, the rest sent to the practice squad. Law firm is a bad comparison for Bolden. Bolden is bigger and can catch, he does use the cutback like Benny does, I hope he hits the holes like him in the Pros and is the same humble pie player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to List of UDFAs, who can make the roster?:
    I think the Pats have done as good of a job signing UDFAs as they did in the draft.  All of their signings have the ability to make a roster but with the depth of the team it makes it difficult for any of these guys to be on the Patriots 53 roster.  Below a bit of information on each and what I think their chances are looking at the other players on the roster.   Jeremiah Warren OT/OG/OC 6'3" 324 lbs - Warren's best asset its his versatility, has played LT, G and is able to play OC.  Big powerful kid, high school wrestler who's raw but can develop into a very good OC/OG.  With depth of the OL Warren would probably be a PS player his first year and make the 53 man roster in 2013.  He has starting type skills as an interior OL, also has experience at LT which he could play if there are injuries.   Markus Zusevics OT/OG 6'5" 303 lbs - This might be one of my favorite signings.  Zusevics should had been drafted on ability alone, he's a good run blocker and has quick feet with good lateral movement and kick slide.  He tore his pec muscle at the combine and might not be ready this season which is the reason he went undrafted.  Iowa kid who's very well coached, lacks elite size, very lean 303.  He has the ability to be a swing tackle or starting RT.  If he's not ready he gets put on IR, and in 2013 he makes the team. Marcus Forston DT 6'2" 301 lbs - Forston probably would had benefited from staying in school another season.  Has had a lot of injuries but has very good interior pass rushing skills but he's not a good run stuffer.  Whether it is conditioning or his inability to play with leverage he is a much better pass rusher.  Had he stayed in school and had a season without injuries he could had been a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year.  PS, don't see him beating out anyone on the roster.  In 2013 he'll compete for a roster spot but needs to get better in stopping the run.  Very strong, 225lbs 35 times at combine but it doesn't translate to the football field because he losses the leverage battle. Brad Herman TE 6'5" 253 lbs  - Patriots old TE coach, coach Ferentz is the Iowa OL coach now. With Herman and Zusevics the Patriots got all the insider information they wanted.  Herman is a better blocker than he is a pass catcher right now but was a very reliable target in the red zone and short yardage, it was the long passes that gave him some trouble.  I don't think he beats Fells for the 3rd TE spot and Herman has enough ability he will be claimed off waivers.  He will be on a team this season but don't think it will be with the Patriots, in the unlikely event he's not claim he's a sure in for a PS spot and adds depth in case of an injury to the TEs. Matt Roark WR 6'5" 225 lbs  - Mr. Versatility himself, Roark has done just about everything on the O side at Kentucky.  Played WR, QB, ran the ball out of the backfield and was a standout ST player, 7 blocked kicks.  Big body not fast (4.72 40 at pro day).  With the depth at WR Roark's only chance is as STs but with Slater already imbedded in that spot I don't see him able to make it.  Possible PS candidate but a team looking for a standout ST player could claim him off waivers.   Justin Francis DE/OLB 6'3" 268 lbs - If the final roster spot was between Francis or Cunningham, Francis takes it hands down.  Has had significant snaps at DT, DE and OLB, experience at all three.  He doesn't have top end speed but he's a very instinctive player, who stays within the design of the play.  Strong at the POA, can set the edge.  With the depth now at DE/OLB I just don't see a roster spot.  The Jets were very interested in Francis pre draft and as a UDFA, as was his old coach with the Bucs so either he makes the Patriots or he'll be with another team.  Brandon Bolden RB 5'11" 222 lbs - He's immediately in competition with Addai who has similar size 5'11" 215 lbs.  Addai's impact in pass protection and in the passing game can't be ignored.  If Bolden can show ability in these two areas he has a shot but if he can't pass protect I don't see him beating out Addai and I don't see 5 RBs on the roster.  Maybe 4 and a FB.  Another player who probably doesn't make it through waivers.  He created a lot of interest as an UDFA.  Addai's history with injuries can't be ignore but right now I give the edge to Addai.  Just comes down to pass protection, how quickly can Bolden pick it up.
    Posted by Pats7393

Brandon Bolden RB 5'11" 222 lbs
     - He's immediately in competition with Addai who has similar size 5'11" 215 lbs.  Addai's impact in pass protection and in the passing game can't be ignored.  If Bolden can show ability in these two areas he has a shot but if he can't pass protect I don't see him beating out Addai and I don't see 5 RBs on the roster.  Maybe 4 and a FB.  Another player who probably doesn't make it through waivers.  He created a lot of interest as an UDFA.  Addai's history with injuries can't be ignore but right now I give the edge to Addai.  Just comes down to pass protection, how quickly can Bolden pick it up.

if he is adequate to good at pass protect, you gotta figure hed have a better shot to stay healthy through the season and playoffs. but bb dont like rookies to play in general esp rbs so i think a long shot to stay. i might lean toward him over addai.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster? : It may be sacreligious to say so, but I'm not sure Woodhead is a lock for the roster.  His production dropped off last year and I could see him losing his spot if (a) one of the young players proves he has good potential as the passing down back and (b) Addai has a good showing as the veteran back up.   

i was considering that same thought about woody. i really think we need to upgrade our rb group. i dont think addai is enough. i dont think they are ready to decide on vereen yet (for instance as opposed to woody).  i reconsidered it, but i dont see bb letting woody go at this moment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

After I had taken a look at each of the UDFAs and current roster its clear these guys have talent, specially the two OL but this team is loaded.  I think Zeus gets red shirt and goes on IR.  I would hate for them to waive Warren, I really like this kid as an interior even a future starting OC.  He's raw but the power and feet are there.  If he can beat Wendell for a roster spot this kid will grow and can start in 2013 at RG or OC.

The rest I don't see going through waivers except for Roark.  As an UDFA class I think BB hit homeruns with who he brought in.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In Response to Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster? : i was considering that same thought about woody. i really think we need to upgrade our rb group. i dont think addai is enough. i dont think they are ready to decide on vereen yet (for instance as opposed to woody).  i reconsidered it, but i dont see bb letting woody go at this moment.
    Posted by bredbru

Agree - Woodhead is the only back with proven production in the system - he is a good third down back, has enough success running the delays, is a better than average receiver, and does a good job in protection. He is also durable and has good ball security. Tough guy. No way he gets cut given the current options. Plus every time he suits up he pissed Jets fans off for them having cut him! Little added bonus!

Sections
Shortcuts