List of UDFAs, who can make the roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster?

All good points about Woody . . . I agree there's some risk in letting him go and the odds are probably more in favor of him making the team than being cut, but I'm still not sure he's a lock.  As the stats below show, he was less productive last year than the year before, and I'm not sure BB really sees him as a long-term solution at back any more than he saw BJGE as a long-term solution.  My sense is BB is trying to upgrade the position and (given a limited number of roster slots) may very well be willing to take a risk by cutting Woody if doing so means he can keep one more guy who he thinks has higher long-term potential.

GGSAttYdsAvgLngTDRecYdsAvgLngTDFUMLost
    2011New England Patriots 154 773514.6121181578.7160----

2010New England Patriots 143 975475.636T53437911.150111

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think we should PUP addai so we have him week 6 and see how bolden performs till then. that way we can test drive both players!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Wow - Woody/Woodhead/Woodcock on the bubble; not something I'd considered but by the case being made I can certainly see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Prolate - thanks for posting the stats - not really surprising - 2010 Pats were scrambling with injuries and trying to replace Faulk so Woodhead was getting more oportunities. But the 2011 stats are not bad - 4.6 rushing average is solid, and with Welker a year removed from injury, Gronk, and Hernandez blossoming in their second years and together combining for something like 250 receptions, you don't really expect the 3rd down back to pile up a whole lot of catches as your safety valve.
    I also think it is worth noting how few RB screen plays we ran last year. It was really dropped from the playbook. Lots of bubble screens to Welker/TEs but very few regular screens.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I don't see Woodhead on the bubble at all unless he gets injured.  The guy can also play WR something no other RB on our roster can do and possibly return kicks.

He is our 1st string 3rd down back...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Too bad so many teams (Bucs) are waiting for our dinner scraps. Almost guaranteed that any draft pick not signed to the active roster will be claimed. You'd think after 12 years teams would have figured out that Billy don't make mistakes, when someone is cut they are done. And if someone shows promise, he'll create a spot...like fourth QB. Speaking of which, I wonder how many teams have ever kept 4 QBs on an active roster. Mucho ballsy move.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's my prediction on these guys:

Warren beats out Wendell makes 53 man roster, takes over RG or OC in 2013 
    Zeus, PUP then possible IR.  makes team in 2013
    Forston gets waived, claimed by Tenn or Atlanta
    Herman gets waived, claimed by Atlanta
    Roark gets waived, makes it to PS
    Francis gets waived, claimed by Jets
    Bolden makes 53 man roster

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

OK - so everyone is high on Zus and Warren, but just a little reality check in terms of their desirability re other teams 53 man squads - they did not get drafted. There were 44 OLine drafted, which means there will be around 40 veterans or draftees that will get cut (there are a few vets retiring) that have at least one year of NFL experience or for whom a team spent draft capital. On top of that you have teams like the Pats that not counting the UDFA already have 14 OLine vets on their roster and will be cutting at least 4.
    So teams looking to upgrade their OLine at the end of the preseason already have somewhere around say 60 Olinemen that were considered more valuable than the UDFAs up to this point. That is a lot of beef to choose from.
    And that doesn't include the x number of UDFA Olineman they have already been working with for the four months between now and cutdown day.
    I know last year we lost two TE that might have been signed to the practice squad, but ... neither of those guys put up any stats last year so they were essentially just taking up roster spots in Buffalo and Miami. And one of those was actually a draft pick (higher presumed value.) Every year their are guys cut by teams that sign on elsewhere, but very few of them are actually UDFAs from that year's class. I think there is actually a high probability that our UDFAs would make it to the PS if we don't keep them on the 53 man roster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Marcus Forston has some major league talent, it's just that it looks like he hasn't had the coaching or want to keep his shoulders square and from being turned. He moves and appears to have the power of a first round pick. I could picture him playing end our 34 (although he's a little short), because he moves with such explosive quickness. The book on him is he can be lazy and inconsistent, which is not a good sign at all, but he has more than enough talent. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: List of UDFAs, who can make the roster?:
    [QUOTE]Prolate - thanks for posting the stats - not really surprising - 2010 Pats were scrambling with injuries and trying to replace Faulk so Woodhead was getting more oportunities. But the 2011 stats are not bad - 4.6 rushing average is solid, and with Welker a year removed from injury, Gronk, and Hernandez blossoming in their second years and together combining for something like 250 receptions, you don't really expect the 3rd down back to pile up a whole lot of catches as your safety valve. I also think it is worth noting how few RB screen plays we ran last year. It was really dropped from the playbook. Lots of bubble screens to Welker/TEs but very few regular screens.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

It's interesting to speculate on which is the chicken and which the egg here: did Woody have less production because his number was called less or was his number called less because he was less effective?  I'm honestly not sure which, and you're right not only that his numbers were still pretty good but that he played an important role in the offense last year. I don't have the numbers, but he seemed to be out there on at least as many snaps as BJGE. 

Still 18 receptions from your primary passing back seems way low, even if part of the issue is that the TE and slot receiver were so good.  More production from the backs as receivers (whether as the outlet receiver or in screens and other plays designed for the back) would help the team I think.  And I do wonder exactly how much of a threat Woody really can be as a runner.  He does get yards when defenses are expecting pass, but is he good enough to get tough run yards when defenses are looking for the run?  I'm not so sure about that. 

Anyway, I think the odds are high that he'll make the team--but I don't think he's a lock and I wouldn't be totally shocked if he was beat out by someone else. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Yes, I think Forston can make the team too.  Of all the players we signed as UDFA's Marcus Forston is the only one with legitimate 1st round talent.  On raw talent alone, he could have the potential to be a star on our DL.  Before this season, where he fell victim to the injury bug, he was viewed as a consensious 1st round pick.

He's my upset pick to make the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]i think we should PUP addai so we have him week 6 and see how bolden performs till then. that way we can test drive both players!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

+1 nate

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]OK - so everyone is high on Zus and Warren, but just a little reality check in terms of their desirability re other teams 53 man squads - they did not get drafted. There were 44 OLine drafted, which means there will be around 40 veterans or draftees that will get cut (there are a few vets retiring) that have at least one year of NFL experience or for whom a team spent draft capital. On top of that you have teams like the Pats that not counting the UDFA already have 14 OLine vets on their roster and will be cutting at least 4. So teams looking to upgrade their OLine at the end of the preseason already have somewhere around say 60 Olinemen that were considered more valuable than the UDFAs up to this point. That is a lot of beef to choose from. And that doesn't include the x number of UDFA Olineman they have already been working with for the four months between now and cutdown day. I know last year we lost two TE that might have been signed to the practice squad, but ... neither of those guys put up any stats last year so they were essentially just taking up roster spots in Buffalo and Miami. And one of those was actually a draft pick (higher presumed value.) Every year their are guys cut by teams that sign on elsewhere, but very few of them are actually UDFAs from that year's class. I think there is actually a high probability that our UDFAs would make it to the PS if we don't keep them on the 53 man roster.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

on Warren, he's a bit raw and technic is not great.  He will need work to become a starter but has the power and short area movement to project inside.  Has talent but needs development.  Doesn't bend or has developed his ability to track blockers when pulling so this is a bit of a project.  What I like is the size, power including the initial pop and punch.  He can knock DL back with those.  As he learns leaverage and moving when he's outside the LOS he will be a good one.

Zeus should had been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round but was done after he tore his pec muscle at the combine.  Was not able to workout at all and probably will not be able to play this season.  He needs to add bulk, looks like a huge TE right now.  Really lean 303 lbs, he's a very well coached OT.  As Warren needs to work when he's in the open field but his lateral movement and run blocking are good.  If they red shirt him put him on IR let him recover and workout to gain weight and power, in 2013 they have a guy who can play either OT spot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Just what is the actual process to be placed on PS?

it is a waiver process that i know..but for how long (24 , 48 hrs) before you can reclaim a guy as a FA if not selected. I also assume waiver claims are in reverse order of standings ( ala draft position), so can we claim someone back at 31 or do we have to wait for our waived guys to completely pass waivers.

If a player is selected it is my belief he has to be added to the selecting teams 53 man active roster? if so for how long ?  is there a comittment to x weeks?  I think this is key  , because are our UFDAs possible active roster additions to other ( most likely the lower) teams?

Was Fletcher an an UDFA? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Just what is the actual process to be placed on PS? it is a waiver process that i know..but for how long (24 , 48 hrs) before you can reclaim a guy as a FA if not selected. I also assume waiver claims are in reverse order of standings ( ala draft position), so can we claim someone back at 31 or do we have to wait for our waived guys to completely pass waivers. If a player is selected it is my belief he has to be added to the selecting teams 53 man active roster? if so for how long ?  is there a comittment to x weeks?  I think this is key  , because are our UFDAs possible active roster additions to other ( most likely the lower) teams? Was Fletcher an an UDFA? 
    Posted by mgraham[/QUOTE]

Pre season waivers are based on previous season records, after Sept 28th I think it goes to current standings.

A player with more than 4 league years under him doesn't go through waivers until the after the trade line passes, he's an automatic FA after the trade deadline every player goes to waivers.

Waivers are 24 hours, if he's not claimed that player becomes a FA and can be signed to the PS by the that put him in waivers.  If claimed and the player has is still PS eligibility the team that claimed him can sign him to the PS or roster.

Any player in any team's PS are eligible at anytime during the season to sign with a different team to their 53 man roster.  Players have 2 years of PS eligibility.

Fletcher was a UDFA in 2010

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

When exactly does the waiver claim order begin? Certainly right now it is a free for all and the player can sign with anyone regardless of years of service. I thought the claim order only began at the end of preseason?
    I believe a claimed player must be added to the 53 man roster for a minimum of one week after which he can be cut again, go through waivers and any team can then sign him to the PS if he clears. Of course a team making a claim, must cut a player and expose him to waivers, so not many teams claim someone with the intension of not keeping him on the 53 man roster.
    There has always been a suspected degree of collusion among teams re waiver claims - I remember BB was supposed to be pissed when the Vikes claimed someone and he turned around and claim someone from the Vikes as 'retaliation'. Can't remember the player or the year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Markus Zusevics wins.  The guy only has 2 years as a starter, therefore he has upside.  He's aggressive.  He has already broken his (pectoral muscle, fill in the blank here, his "rookie") so he's already on IR, and when he's a sophomore he'll be NFL-ready.  Maybe he plays in 2013 as a backup but he's in like Flynn.

It's all a matter of selecting the right player.

As for the rest of the crowd, I'll remember their names when they make the team proper.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

This is just a terrific thread. I feel greatly educated on the Pats by reading these comments and the detailed analysis. I'm so psyched for August to come and see how BB puts all of these pieces together. Thanks to both "Pats" and everyone else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Like to see Forston, Roark and Bolden make the team.

Sections
Shortcuts