Live Mock Draft, Come Make a Pick. 1st round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Live Mock Draft, Come Make a Pick. 1st round

I hate to be rapid fire (and take away a Pats73 wishlist player), but this pick makes too much sense.  Personally I would stand pat (no pun intended) at 17 or trade back a few picks and take this kid vs. trading up for Watt, while also keeping pick 60.

Assnd PickAssnd TeamTraded PicksTeam SelectingPlayerPositionPosted By 
    1Car  Car Blaine Gabbert QB ARMY 2LT 
    2Den  Den Marcell Dareus DT pats7393 
    3Buf Buf Cam Newton QB PatsEng  
    4Cin  Cin AJ Green WR KyleCleric 
    5Ari  Ari Von Miller OLB ben-umass 
    6Cle  Cle Patrick Peterson CB digger0862 
    7SF 11, 73 Hou P. Amukamara CB pats7393 
    8Ten  Ten R.Quinn DE ricky12684 
    9Dal  Dal Tyron Smith OT KyleCleric 
    10Was 17,60 NE JJ Watt DE Titletownfan 
    11Hou 7 SF Nick Fairley DT ben-umass 
    12Min  Min Da'Quan Bowers DE ucantstopme 
    13Det18,82,114 SD Julio Jones WR Army2LT 
    14StL  StL Gabe Carimi OT/OG pats7393 
    15Mia  Mia Ryan Mallett QB KyleCleric 
    16Jac  Jac Aldon Smith OLB PChungAllDay25 
    17NE 10 Was Jake Locker QB digger0862 
    18SD 13 DET Antony Castonzo  OT ben-umass 
    19NYG  NYG Nate Solder OT pats7393 
    20TB  TB Cam Jordan DL cantstopme 
    21KC  KC Phil Taylor NT ricky12684 
    22Ind  Ind Derick Sherrod OT CaptFox 
    23Phi 31, 63 Pit R. Kerrigan DE Army2LT 
    24NO None NO Corey Liuget DT pats7393 
    25Sea None Sea Mike Pouncey OG digger0862 
    26Bal None      Bal Danny Watkins OG/RT LAPats 
    27Atl none       Atl                                           Brandon Harris Cb                           ben-umass 
    28NE NoneNEAdrian ClaybornDE/OLBmbeaulieu07 
    29Chi None Chi Torrey Smith WR pats7393 
    30NYJ NoneNYJWilkersonDEMbeaulieu07 
    31Pit 23 Phi    
    32GB     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Live Mock Draft, Come Make a Pick. 1st round:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Mock Draft, Come Make a Pick. 1st round : If Clayborn falls to 28 he's got to get some serious consideration if BB doesn't trade. I know your high on this kid, me too.  We are both fans of Iowa kids, Clayborn is a leader, very quick step and has multiple pass rushing moves and counters.  He weight 178 at his pro day so if he gets to 170 or so he's a fit.  Very strong against the run.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Yessir and he's really grown on me the more I've watched him on tape.  Check out the scouting report below, sort of an outside the box type report but it gives you an independent perspective on how he could be used at the NFL level.  It's from The Huddle Report, a publication that prides itself on watching a ton of tape on kids to form an opinion vs. following along with the what mainstream media says about a kid. 

Adrian Clayborn   DE/OLB   Iowa

TALENT BOARD

Round 1

STRENGTHS

Adrian is a smart, quick defensive lineman who shows leadership skills through his play on the field.  He is very coachable and looks to be an excellent teammate.  He has good size, strength and speed and has a variety of pass rushing moves that, along with his quickness, speed and burst will make him a pass rushing nightmare for the next level.  Adrian is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler with excellent instincts and when he uses his quickness, he can shed a block and make a tackle when defending against the run.  He is the type of player who might be downgraded in this draft because he is a team player and is very coachable.  However, trust me when I say that Adrian, used correctly, will become a nightmare for offensive coordinators to deal with at the next level in the near future.

CONCERNS

Adrian is playing with too much weight. I think if he loses weight and shows some linebacker skills in the combine and Senior Bowl, you will see people talking about Adrian in a more positive manner.   Adrian has a little bit of a macho attitude that makes him think that he can use strength at the next level to stop the run.  Adrian has to learn better techniques to stop the run to be successful at his position in the NFL,.  

BOTTOM LINE

In Adrian's junior year he was in a defense that used his quickness and attacking attitude to become one of the more disruptive players in all of college.  He reminded me a lot at the time of Charles Haley (former DE/OLB Cowboys & 49ers).  Adrian, in his junior year, was quick, strong, powerful, instinctive and a disruptive force that had to be accounted for on every play.  You never knew where he was going to line up.  He did the job that Clay Mathews does now for the Green Bay Packers.  Then Iowa had to go to a different style of defense to protect its young linebackers.  Now Adrian looks like he gained weight, and is playing more of a pure two gap DE position.  This is not his strength; however, to his credit, he is doing a very good job.  If he is not double teamed on big plays, he is still disruptive but he is not as impacting and looks to most people (Not me) to be a bit of a tweener.  I don't believe in down grading a player because he listens to his coaches' and is a good teammate.  Adrian is an attacking front seven player who, if slimmed down and moved around a defense to be used in an attack-style approach on every play regardless of down or distance, will become a nightmare for the opposing team -- very much like Clay Mathews (Packers) and Brian Orakpo (Redskins).  I would guess that if Adrian slims down to about 260 Lbs you will have yourself the type of player you can build your defense around.  Adrian has the type of burst and explosion to the play that helps to make him that unique style of player who is disruptive on every play if he is moved around the defense and allowed to attack the line of scrimmage.  Slim him down, move him around, let him attack and use his instincts and trust me he will not be a tweener...he will become a recurring nightmare to the offensive coordinators in the NFL.  That's why I call him Adrian (Nightmare) Clayborn. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Mock Draft, Come Make a Pick. 1st round : Yessir and he's really grown on me the more I've watched him on tape.  Check out the scouting report below, sort of an outside the box type report but it gives you an independent perspective on how he could be used at the NFL level.  It's from The Huddle Report, a publication that prides itself on watching a ton of tape on kids to form an opinion vs. following along with the what mainstream media says about a kid.  Adrian Clayborn   DE/OLB   Iowa TALENT BOARD  Round 1 STRENGTHS Adrian is a smart, quick defensive lineman who shows leadership skills through his play on the field.  He is very coachable and looks to be an excellent teammate.  He has good size, strength and speed and has a variety of pass rushing moves that, along with his quickness, speed and burst will make him a pass rushing nightmare for the next level.  Adrian is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler with excellent instincts and when he uses his quickness, he can shed a block and make a tackle when defending against the run.  He is the type of player who might be downgraded in this draft because he is a team player and is very coachable.  However, trust me when I say that Adrian, used correctly, will become a nightmare for offensive coordinators to deal with at the next level in the near future.   CONCERNS Adrian is playing with too much weight. I think if he loses weight and shows some linebacker skills in the combine and Senior Bowl, you will see people talking about Adrian in a more positive manner.   Adrian has a little bit of a macho attitude that makes him think that he can use strength at the next level to stop the run.  Adrian has to learn better techniques to stop the run to be successful at his position in the NFL,.         BOTTOM LINE In Adrian's junior year he was in a defense that used his quickness and attacking attitude to become one of the more disruptive players in all of college.  He reminded me a lot at the time of Charles Haley (former DE/OLB Cowboys & 49ers).  Adrian, in his junior year, was quick, strong, powerful, instinctive and a disruptive force that had to be accounted for on every play.  You never knew where he was going to line up.  He did the job that Clay Mathews does now for the Green Bay Packers.  Then Iowa had to go to a different style of defense to protect its young linebackers.  Now Adrian looks like he gained weight, and is playing more of a pure two gap DE position.  This is not his strength; however, to his credit, he is doing a very good job.  If he is not double teamed on big plays, he is still disruptive but he is not as impacting and looks to most people (Not me) to be a bit of a tweener.  I don't believe in down grading a player because he listens to his coaches' and is a good teammate.  Adrian is an attacking front seven player who, if slimmed down and moved around a defense to be used in an attack-style approach on every play regardless of down or distance, will become a nightmare for the opposing team -- very much like Clay Mathews (Packers) and Brian Orakpo (Redskins).  I would guess that if Adrian slims down to about 260 Lbs you will have yourself the type of player you can build your defense around.  Adrian has the type of burst and explosion to the play that helps to make him that unique style of player who is disruptive on every play if he is moved around the defense and allowed to attack the line of scrimmage.  Slim him down, move him around, let him attack and use his instincts and trust me he will not be a tweener...he will become a recurring nightmare to the offensive coordinators in the NFL.  That's why I call him Adrian (Nightmare) Clayborn. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I was looking the other day at Bailey and Ballard thinking one of these two guys I would be good with because of that elephant OLB role and never even gave Clayborn a thought.  Kind of got lost in the 34 DE talks and I didn't really look at him.  I think this guy is better than Bailey and Ballard.  I think he also can go early (top 20) specially to those 43 teams looking for a DE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Mock Draft, Come Make a Pick. 1st round : I was looking the other day at Bailey and Ballard thinking one of these two guys I would be good with because of that elephant OLB role and never even gave Clayborn a thought.  Kind of got lost in the 34 DE talks and I didn't really look at him.  I think this guy is better than Bailey and Ballard.  I think he also can go early (top 20) specially to those 43 teams looking for a DE.

Personally I think both Ballard and Bailey would be limited to 43 DE as I don't think either possesses the fluidity, agility and/or short area quickness to play in space. 

Player3 ConeShort Shuttle
    Clayborn4.137.30
    Ballard4.517.54
    Bailey4.567.43

I also agree with you that Clayborn could easily be off the board in the top 20.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Seattle just got a present, Pouncey is what they were hopping for IMO.  They need OG and Center help in the worst way.  Good pick digger, you pist off a ton of Steeler fans.
    Thanks Pats, this was a fun exorcise plus I learned a lot about the future NFL players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]I hate to be rapid fire (and take away a Pats73 wishlist player), but this pick makes too much sense.  Personally I would stand pat (no pun intended) at 17 or trade back a few picks and take this kid vs. trading up for Watt, while also keeping pick 60. Assnd Pick Assnd Team Traded Picks Team Selecting Player Position Posted By   1 Car    Car  Blaine Gabbert  QB  ARMY 2LT   2 Den    Den  Marcell Dareus  DT  pats7393   3 Buf   Buf  Cam Newton  QB  PatsEng    4 Cin    Cin  AJ Green  WR  KyleCleric   5 Ari    Ari  Von Miller  OLB  ben-umass   6 Cle    Cle  Patrick Peterson  CB  digger0862   7 SF  11, 73  Hou  P. Amukamara  CB  pats7393   8 Ten    Ten  R.Quinn  DE  ricky12684   9 Dal    Dal  Tyron Smith  OT  KyleCleric   10 Was  17,60  NE  JJ Watt  DE  Titletownfan   11 Hou  7  SF  Nick Fairley  DT  ben-umass   12 Min    Min  Da'Quan Bowers  DE  ucantstopme   13 Det 18,82,114  SD  Julio Jones  WR  Army2LT   14 StL    StL  Gabe Carimi  OT/OG  pats7393   15 Mia    Mia  Ryan Mallett  QB  KyleCleric   16 Jac    Jac  Aldon Smith  OLB  PChungAllDay25   17 NE  10  Was  Jake Locker  QB  digger0862   18 SD  13  DET  Antony Castonzo  OT  ben-umass   19 NYG    NYG  Nate Solder  OT  pats7393   20 TB    TB  Cam Jordan  DL  cantstopme   21 KC    KC  Phil Taylor  NT  ricky12684   22 Ind    Ind  Derick Sherrod  OT  CaptFox   23 Phi  31, 63  Pit  R. Kerrigan  DE  Army2LT   24 NO  None  NO  Corey Liuget  DT  pats7393   25 Sea  None  Sea  Mike Pouncey  OG  digger0862   26 Bal  None      Bal  Danny Watkins  OG/RT  LAPats   27 Atl  none       Atl                                           Brandon Harris  Cb                           ben-umass   28 NE  None NE Adrian Clayborn DE/OLB mbeaulieu07   29 Chi  None  Chi  Torrey Smith  WR  pats7393   30 NYJ  None NYJ Wilkerson DE Mbeaulieu07   31 Pit  23  Phi         32 GB          
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

That's the second time I see you doing that one.  You know I agree with you with him 17. 

I really don't want to see him in that ugly green uniform.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

i'd be happy with eith clayborn or bailey. also really likeing akeem ayers. he's light years ahead of the other two as far as pass coverage, and has loads of pass rushing potential.

in my perfect scenario ne takes wilkinson/watt/jordan at #17 trades 28 to sd for their 2 second round picks. trade one pick for a #1 in 2012 and turn the other 3 picks into kyle rudolph, rahim moore, and allen bailey or akeem ayers.

meriweather is in the last year of his contract and i don't see him getting resigned. moore can start right away, and i believe has more potential than meriweather. james sanders is also in the last year of his contract and is only a backup at best. i like the idea of draft rudolph and running double te sets with gronk and rudolph, and play hernandez as more of a big wr. this plays to brady's strength better, and would help the running game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

24NO None NO Corey Liuget DT pats7393 
    25Sea None Sea Mike Pouncey OG digger0862 
    26Bal None      Bal Danny Watkins OG/RT LAPats 
    27Atl none       Atl                                           Brandon Harris Cb                           ben-umass 
    28NE NoneNEAdrian ClaybornDE/OLBmbeaulieu07 
    29Chi None Chi Torrey Smith WR pats7393 
    30NYJ NoneNYJWilkersonDEMbeaulieu07 
    31Pit 23 Phi J. Smith CB pats7393 
    32GB     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

For the conclusion of Round 1 ~
     The Pack's Ted Thompson makes a trade.

24NO NO Corey Liuget DT pats7393 
    25Sea Sea Mike Pouncey OG digger0862 
    26Bal     Bal Danny Watkins OG/RT LAPats 
    27Atl      Atl                                           Brandon Harris Cb                           ben-umass 
    28NE NEAdrian ClaybornDE/OLBmbeaulieu07 
    29Chi Chi Torrey Smith WR pats7393 
    30NYJNYJWilkersonDEMbeaulieu07 
    32GB 38 , 103 ARI C. Ponder   Qb CaptFox

The Pack's Bazztard GM takes away one of the Pats Qb-hungry trading partners , as Arizona wisely doesn't wait around to see what we'd want for #33 .

Note :
    #32 = 590 pts
    #38 + #103 = 608pts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

no ingram in round 1....#33 probably?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

24NO  NO Corey Liuget DT pats7393 
    25Sea  Sea Mike Pouncey OG digger0862 
    27Atl      Atl                                           Brandon Harris Cb                           ben-umass 
    29Chi  Chi Torrey Smith WR pats7393 
    30NYJ NYJWilkersonDEMbeaulieu07 
    2nd Round
    33NE    
    34Buf     
    35Cin     
    36Den     
    37Cle     
    38GB (#32)     
    39Ten     
    40Dal     
    41Was     
    42Hou     
    43Det     
    44Min     
    45SF     
    46Den     
    47Oak     
    48StL     
    49Jac     
    50SD     
    51TB     
    52NYG     
    53KC     
    54Ind     
    55Phi     
    56NO     
    57Sea     
    58Bal     
    59Atl     
    60Was (#10)     
    61Chi     
    62SD     
    63Phi (#23)     
    64GB     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

2nd Round
    33NE45, 1st next year  SF Colin Kaepernick QB PatsEng
    34Buf     
    35Cin     
    36Den     
    37Cle     
    38GB (#32)     
    39Ten     
    40Dal     
    41Was     
    42Hou     
    43Det     
    44Min     
    45SF     
    46Den     
    47Oak     
    48StL     
    49Jac     
    50SD     
    51TB     
    52NYG     
    53KC     
    54Ind     
    55Phi     
    56NO     
    57Sea     
    58Bal     
    59Atl     
    60Was (#10)     
    61Chi     
    62SD     
    63Phi (#23)     
    64GB     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Kaepernick is the last QB worth spending a high pick on and Tenn is desperate for a QB. With Cinn and Tenn wanting a QB and SF moves up for a QB over paying like they've done in the past

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

lol hrm I'm not sure which is better Pats yours or mine but it looks like we both have the same mentality on pick 33. It's being traded just a matter of who

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think Dalton will be a better QB overall.

I had Was trading their 2 2nds and a 5th to move up and get ingram and NE gave up 33&92

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]lol hrm I'm not sure which is better Pats yours or mine but it looks like we both have the same mentality on pick 33. It's being traded just a matter of who
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Both are fine, I think trading for 2012 1st is excellent.  Right now the Pats only have 5 picks next year, 1 each of the 1st 5 rounds.  You BB won't be happy not having flexibility to move around.  That in combination of only a limited amount of empty/upgradable spots on the roster I don't see the need to stock pile picks but the Was trade would had secured also a minimum of a 2nd next year and a 3rd this year by trading 60.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Time to give Cam some weapons for the future.  I also considered Baldwin and Cobb here:

2nd Round
    34Buf NoneBufKyle RudolphTEmbeaulieu07
    35Cin     
    36Den     
    37Cle     
    38GB (#32)     
    39Ten     
    40Dal     
    41Was     
    42Hou     
    43Det     
    44Min     
    45SF     
    46Den     
    47Oak     
    48StL     
    49Jac     
    50SD     
    51TB     
    52NYG     
    53KC     
    54Ind     
    55Phi     
    56NO     
    57Sea     
    58Bal     
    59Atl     
    60Was (#10)     
    61Chi     
    62SD     
    63Phi (#23)     
    64GB     

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

If this was seriously NE's draft, I would be pissed off beyond belief.  Say goodbye to a serious playoff run in 2011.

Trading out picks to get essentially two of the same player (Watt and Clayborn) seems counterproductive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

New QB, Dalton never had anyone as talented as Green.  The two get to get better together.

2nd Round
    34Buf NoneBufKyle RudolphTEmbeaulieu07
    35Cin None Cin Andy Dalton QB pats7393
    36Den     
    37Cle     
    38GB (#32)     
    39Ten     
    40Dal     
    41Was     
    42Hou     
    43Det     
    44Min     
    45SF #33 NE   
    46Den     
    47Oak     
    48StL     
    49Jac     
    50SD     
    51TB     
    52NYG     
    53KC     
    54Ind     
    55Phi     
    56NO     
    57Sea     
    58Bal     
    59Atl     
    60Was (#10)     
    61Chi     
    62SD     
    63Phi (#23)     
    64GB    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]If this was seriously NE's draft, I would be pissed off beyond belief.  Say goodbye to a serious playoff run in 2011. Trading out picks to get essentially two of the same player (Watt and Clayborn) seems counterproductive.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Watt's a 5 tech DE while Clayborn would be an elephant OLB (essentially the same role as Kerrigan or Bailey would take) so they aren't the same player. That's like calling Moore and Wright the same player even though they have different roles

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Clayborn an OLB? No way he can convert. Absolutely no way.  He's a DE, more so as a 4-3.

Watt has a better chance to play 3-4 OLB than Clayborn does.   Clayborn has probably never dropped into coverage in his life either.

To get someone as gifted as what Willie McGinest was here, you'll need a top 10 pick for that elephant role.

You need an athlete.   Clayborn isn't an athlete as an OLB.  Nice player, but more of a 4-3 DE fit, in my opinion.

Bailey is almost 300 lbs. He's one more bench press session away from 290 lbs.  You have to figure these guys aren't done growing yet.

To expect someone that big to play the elephant role well early in their career, I just don't see it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Clayborn an OLB? No way he can convert. Absolutely no way.  He's a DE, more so as a 4-3. Watt has a better chance to play 3-4 OLB than Clayborn does.   Clayborn has probably never dropped into coverage in his life either. To get someone as gifted as what Willie McGinest was here, you'll need a top 10 pick for that elephant role. You need an athlete.   Clayborn isn't an athlete as an OLB.  Nice player, but more of a 4-3 DE fit, in my opinion. Bailey is almost 300 lbs. He's one more bench press session away from 290 lbs.  You have to figure these guys aren't done growing yet. To expect someone that big to play the elephant role well early in their career, I just don't see it.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I disagree that Clayborn doesn't possess the skill set to play in the elephant role.

He was 278 at his pro-day, so it's not unreasonable to think he couldn't get down to 270 (which is where I think he'd need to be) and is as good as I've seen vs. the run with good strength at the POA, excellent use of hands and ability to stack and shed or slip blockers to quickly get to the ball carrier.  The kid also has excellent instincts and awareness to go along with a big motor.  

As for his traingle #'s, he has good speed and quickness for his size and moves laterally as well as almost any OLB/DE in this draft (3rd fastest SS at the combine for ALLOLB/DE's) and his timed speed translates to the field/tape.

As for your comparison to Watt, Clayborn is quicker off the snap (10 yard split), quicker laterally (SS) and had a faster 40 time, Watt had a better time in the 3C (COD skills).

Certainly the ability to drop into coverage is an unknown as it would be for any player that hasn't done it with consistency, which is why you have to try and project, but I wouldn't say he's not athletic enough to make the change at this point.

Based on his combine workout, I think he moves pretty well in space:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eb2e81/2011-combine-workout-Adrian-Clayborn

As for Bailey, he looks the part physically, but is a lot slower laterally and when changing direction than Clayborn and looks like more of a linear type player.  He's a kid that I would say is better off as a 43 DE.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yeah, the data supports your points just fine, but I question it in a new system.

McGinest wasn't even able to adjust into that role until 2001, really.  Before that time, he was a good, but not great player, struggling with inuries as well.

I just think it's hard to say "this guy will be a 3-4 OLB elephant type role".

NE needs impact NOW, not 2-3 years down the line.

I want the DE or OLB in this draft to be better than what we have right now.

Clayborn seems to be more a slam dunk 4-3 DE to me than an 3-4 OLB. He'd be a project 3-4 OLB regardless of his combine results, in my opinion.

I don't want a project in Round 1. And then you look at this character issues. Not a huge deal for a college kid to make a stupid decision, but still.

Sections
Shortcuts