Local Media Should Leave Haynesworth and Wilfolk Alone

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Re: Local Media Should Leave Haynesworth and Wilfolk Alone

Killa like some one gets caught with weed 1 no 2 no 3 times  does that count in your books? probally not cause your a stoner

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This has more to do with the athletic director and fooball coaches than the players. You'd be very niave to think they didn't know. Just like Tressel. And it doesn't just happen at a few places (the U, USC and Ohio State) it or something similar happens at any decent program ...cough cough SEC....SWC......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I couldn't care less about college players.  Haynesworth earned his criticism, Id prefer it be constructive not senstationalized to make headlines though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Local Media Should Leave Haynesworth and Wilfolk Alone:
    In Response to Local Media Should Leave Haynesworth and Wilfolk Alone : Sorry, Tex, but all college players are told and shown via a class setting what they can/can't do; what they can/can't accept. They have to sign off acknowledging this. Yet, when 75 players decide to ignore what they agreed to, then it's a problem. Because guess who gets hurt? The college, and the current players. See USC for proof of what Bush did there. Despite this, some writers/announcers are making excuses about the players being "impressionable kids". I guess it's OK to break rules in college, as long as you can rationalize why in your own mind. Whatever happened to the old saying: if it feels wrong, or if you feel the need to check first before engaging in the activity, DON'T DO IT!

RESPONSE: First of all, these are just allegations made by a convicted felon. NOTHING has been proven. Secondly, can we agree that this sort of thing has been going on years before Vince Wilfolk was born. Should we now go back over the history of college football and investigate other players who allegedly broke the rules? In the legal system, there is something known as the statute of limitations. Felonies for theft or fraud are, in some states, as short as three years. Are we going to extend the statute of limitations to 10 years for taking money against the rules? What will be the penalty? What will be the point? Who really cares? Why not instead make sure that this sort of thing doesn't happen anymore by reforming the rules...and put teeth in the penalties? But, this won't happen...cause the dirty little secret is that no one wants to legislate this sort of thing away.  

Guess there's no place in society for something called "personal responsibility" anymore. One very important lesson in life I learned was simply this: If I was man enough to do something that may/could/actually be considered "wrong", then I need to be man enough to raise my right hand and take responsibility for my actions, and NOT excuse why I did what I did. Sadly, that lesson isn't taught today. It's NEVER your fault fior any bad things. It's an excuse: 1) he came from a family of 9 with a single mother  2) I didn't think that taking the money was such a bad thing as the U is making millions off of me playing  3) he saw and knew of other players doing the same thing, but he took LESS  4) he didn't lo0ok at the exotic dancers with BOTH eyes  5) he seemed like such a great guy,a dn I always wanted to take rides on a real yacht.

RESPONSE: I can't argue with you here. But, again...these are mere allegations made by a crook that have not been corroborated, and have certainly not been proven. I wish that nearly as much energy were spent by the media on guys like Anthony Weiner, who lied to Congress. Yet...he was allowed to "move on" once he resigned...while Roger Clemens was prosecuted for the same offense. How about Charles Rangel and John Kerry (who seved in Viet Nam, you know), who committed tax evasion, yet are still "serving" in the House and Senate, respectively?  

I will also agree that it's a clear case of the U not having any control, and actually encouraging this felon to do what he did as long as he gave the U checks for stuff.  No excuse for ignoring that huge pink elephant in teh middle of the dining room. In the past, the team has borne the brunt of sanctions from the NCAA. Some coaches have lost their jobs, but have managed to land elsewhere. It's good to see that, should the Ex-Tennessee basketball coach (Perlman) land somewhere else, that school will feel some of that pain for making that decision. I'm all for that. Then there's Ohio St. Tresel is gone, but it's time fopr the AD to go too, plus the president. After all, that deal took place on their watch. They need to feel the heat too. There looks to be too many dirty hands in this matter to try to pick out exactly who is to "blame (the Great Ameican Pastime: finding fault). So, just level the book on everyone.

RESPONSE: How far back do you want to go? What will be the penalties assessed? Who will pay for such an investigation? Who really cares?

I wonder how many of this U 75 would egver be mistaken for Rhodes scholars?  But, it doesn't take one to know right from wrong. I'll withhold my judgement on all of this until such time the investigation is completed and the results reported.

RESPONSE: Judging from what you've said above, you haven't withheld your judgment. In your eyes, Vince is already guilty.  

In this case, if proven so, they all (from the President to the AD to the coaches, to boosters) should be expelled from the program. I'd also give the U, a well known and well documented rogue sports dept, get the death penalty. That'll clear out the selfish "me first!" players, and force the program to rebuild. Do you think that SMU would EVER put themselves into a position to even remotely be reviewed for a violation of any kind? Message sent AND received. It's obvious that the admin of the U cannot control the program. So, it's time to take it down for a while and MAKE then comport. This goes for Ohio St, USC,  and any other program that is continually in the NCAA's crosshairs.

RESPONSE: If all this investigations are done, who pays for it? How far back do you go? No one wants these NCAA rules to be strictly enforced.

Wilfork? Unless proven otherwise, he should just keep quiet until such time that the investigation is completed and brought to a conclusion. If he's proven to be "on the take", then he needs to step up and proclaim it (Ah! That "responsibility" bug-a-boo!). If not, he's owed an apology. His play for the Pats now has no bearing on what he may have done at the U, except that it goes to credibility. But, it'll be a shame if Miami gets hammered now, partly due to his selfish motivations.

RESPONSE: This is exactly what Vince is doing.

But, for himself and HIS reputation, he should get out in front of this now and say, one way or the other, that he DID or DID NOT accept any of those illegal benefits. Then let the investigation confirm his statement, one way or the other.

RESPONSE: Why should he do this? What self-respecting lawyer would ever recommend that his client do this? If Vince were your son, would you advise him to do this? This is what Roger Clemens did...and look what happened to him!  

As to the accuser's credibility? Remember this: everyone thought that Canseco was crazy when he gave the Enquirer the story about MLB players being juiced.

RESPONSE: On the contrary, I believed almost everything he said. He also wasn't a convicted felon.

He was painted as being "disgruntled" with an axe to grind. How'd that deal eventually turn out?  Whenever you see smoke, there's fire (unless you're big enough to be able to keep a lid on things.)

RESPONSE: When several people are saying the same thing...or when circumstantial evidence corroborates the accuser...yes. But, nothing but a convicted felon's allegations are out there right now.
    Posted by AZPAT

Sections
Shortcuts