Locker Room Damage?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Locker Room Damage?

I worry the Welker situation will affect the locker room. It happens.....Welker was the most prolific receiver in Pats history.....I'll say it again.....most prolific receiver in Pats history.

We'll see....but I think the Pats did Wes wrong....this happens on every team...I know...but sometimes the fallout can't be managed away easily....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Locker Room Damage?

The damage will be the Welker gave it up all on the field...seriously. Took nasty hits, never complained, and played at a relatively cheap price.

...And he gets let go

If I'm a player on the Pats, why risk injury if you know the Pats don't care about you?

I understand it's a business, and guys always get let go.

But this, too me, is a bit different.

$6 million is very affordable for the Pats. Welker is a leader in the locker room and a guy who gives it his all...and they couldn't pay him $6 million? Even though it was just 1 million more than what they wanted to give him?

This isn't Asante looking for a mega contract! This is an extra million for a guy that is described by many as the heart of the offense!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Does this go to Suggs comments regarding the Pats organization.  Players are the cattle on the ranch and are moved in and out as the market pleases?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

2/18 a year earlier. Why does no one see that? Screw welker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Looking back the last 10 -12 years, Welker's case is not an isolated incident illustrating how the Pats deal with their players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I know it's a business...

I know every Team goes through this...

But Welker is different....I think it's a mistake to think it will be totally forgotten in the locker room.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

The damage will be the Welker gave it up all on the field...seriously. Took nasty hits, never complained, and played at a relatively cheap price.

...And he gets let go

If I'm a player on the Pats, why risk injury if you know the Pats don't care about you?

I understand it's a business, and guys always get let go.

But this, too me, is a bit different.

$6 million is very affordable for the Pats. Welker is a leader in the locker room and a guy who gives it his all...and they couldn't pay him $6 million? Even though it was just 1 million more than what they wanted to give him?

This isn't Asante looking for a mega contract! This is an extra million for a guy that is described by many as the heart of the offense!

I agree with you. I think at some point the organization has shown the market a pattern of behavior that shows their attitude in such situation. Essentially they have signalled to players that you could leave everything you have on the field and it does not mean the organization has that player's back. 

Back in the early 2000s, those players would run through walls for BB - a similar kind of emotional state that the Ravens had in the playoffs (they were willing to run through walls for Lewis). In the playoffs, sometimes that is more important than inherent talent. Now, I can't imagine anyone would through walls for the Pats... not even TB. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

All speculation, but I'm guessing that the locker room has had its share of problems like every other team for years now. Where's the attitude and passion.  I see frustration more than passion (with the exception of Spikes, Gronk, and mebbe Hernandez).