Lockout Certain? Polian Says 18-Game Season a Lock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Lockout Certain? Polian Says 18-Game Season a Lock

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/27/bill-polian-calls-18-game-schedule-a-done-deal/

I don't think this is good news for football in 2011. What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Lockout Certain? Polian Says 18-Game Season a Lock

Before Polian said this, I didn't think they would play.  De-certifying the union makes me think its going to be a lock out.  too bad.  By the way, why can't Polian keep his mouth shut?  Last I checked, he doesn't run the league.  He just never closes his yap.  Cue Indylove here running to his rescue.  Slurping sounds follow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

Polian is an idiot. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndyIove. Show IndyIove's posts

Polian is an idiot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I think most NFL fans agree that 16 games already pushes the limits of players' health.

I don't want to watch backups in January becuase the starters are all too hurt to play.  I'd rather have fewer games at higher quality.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

In Response to Re: Lockout Certain? Polian Says 18-Game Season a Lock:
    Polian is an idiot.
    Posted by IndyIove

Nice - time to change the name.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Who the hell does this guy think he is??!!  He's NOT an owner, and I can't imagine the owners or Goodall appreciate his comments at this time. He basicly saying "to he** with what the player think or want I"m deciding what's good for for the NFL. When's somebody going to have the ba**s to tell this jerk to shut up!! I guess he has more power than the commisioner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

You folks are being really naive right now.   

1.  Why criticize Polian when Kraft has publicly said he is ALL FOR IT.  

Here are Krafts comments on an expanded season last month:

*"I think it's a win-win all around,"
    *"I really think going to an 18-game season is critical to us getting a labor deal," he said. "There's not a lot ways in this economic environment we can generate incremental revenues. That's the best way.

2.  Robert Kraft is one of the biggest proponents of increasing revenue, possibly because he and others like Jerry Jones have heavily leveraged themselves with team stadiums and additional amenities.  He also wants to eliminate revenue sharing and pocket as much money for himself as possible. 

3.  The competition committee and Polian do not operate in a vacuum.  They are ultimately directed by the league/owners.  The committee would be charged with figuring out how the expanded schedule would work and how many games 17 or 18 would be best.  So Polian absolutely knows what is going on.

One of the reasons that I post on this site is there seems to be a level of intelligence demonstrated by many.  Obviously, fandom gets in the way of that frequently, but it shouldn't in this case.  Know your team.  Know your owner. 

The owners (or at least the powerful ones who need the money because they are leveraged to the hilt) want this.  The players do not.  Unless you did not know, there is a labor issue currently ongoing in the NFL right now, and its owners vs. players. 

Wake up homers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Kraft said "it was a win win all the way around" Polian said it was "fait accompli" Big difference HOMER!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

IMO this is a negotiation tactic.  They are going to act like they really want an 18 game season.  Then they will use it as a bargaining chip to get something they want more.  Like, OK cut back player salaries 5% and we will drop the 18 game season.  Essentially giving away something they never had. 

That's just my opinion, but the owners make a living out of doing negotiations and they're probably pretty dam good at it.  I think it's a setup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

You folks are being really naive right now.    1.  Why criticize Polian when Kraft has publicly said he is ALL FOR IT.   Here are Krafts comments on an expanded season last month: *"I think it's a win-win all around," *"I really think going to an 18-game season is critical to us getting a labor deal," he said. "There's not a lot ways in this economic environment we can generate incremental revenues. That's the best way. 2.  Robert Kraft is one of the biggest proponents of increasing revenue, possibly because he and others like Jerry Jones have heavily leveraged themselves with team stadiums and additional amenities.  He also wants to eliminate revenue sharing and pocket as much money for himself as possible.  3.  The competition committee and Polian do not operate in a vacuum.  They are ultimately directed by the league/owners.  The committee would be charged with figuring out how the expanded schedule would work and how many games 17 or 18 would be best.  So Polian absolutely knows what is going on. One of the reasons that I post on this site is there seems to be a level of intelligence demonstrated by many.  Obviously, fandom gets in the way of that frequently, but it shouldn't in this case.  Know your team.  Know your owner.  The owners (or at least the powerful ones who need the money because they are leveraged to the hilt) want this.  The players do not.  Unless you did not know, there is a labor issue currently ongoing in the NFL right now, and its owners vs. players.  Wake up homers.
    Posted by Indylove

Know your team know your owners  guess you think Polian is the owner just as he does.

His face looks like he threw up on it and forgot to wash it off. ugh!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

In Response to Re: Lockout Certain? Polian Says 18-Game Season a Lock : Know your team know your owners  guess you think Polian is the owner just as he does. His face looks like he threw up on it and forgot to wash it off. ugh!
    Posted by NEGAME

Nice!  I am eating lunch!

Underdogg sounds like a Hypocrite.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Kraft said "it was a win win all the way around" Polian said it was "fait accompli" Big difference HOMER!!!
    Posted by NEGAME

Game - polian is playing Krafts game for him.  Not a big difference.  The owners need someone to do some dirty work for them when necessary.  That is Polian in this case.  Polian is effectively Col. Jessup.  You just don't want to believe your Owner has his fingers ALL OVER this one as much as any other owner in the league.  Ol' Bob needs the money.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

In Response to Re: Lockout Certain? Polian Says 18-Game Season a Lock : Know your team know your owners  guess you think Polian is the owner just as he does. His face looks like he threw up on it and forgot to wash it off. ugh!
    Posted by NEGAME

Come now game - all of my information is in my post and you know it.  Nowhere is there a reference to Polian being an owner. 

But hey, attack his face all you like. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

In Response to Re: Lockout Certain? Polian Says 18-Game Season a Lock : Nice!  I am eating lunch! Underdogg sounds like a Hypocrite.....
    Posted by m1024us

How so?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

ok dogg-e-dooo you think that saying during contract negotiations that an 18 game season is a done deal no options open to the players. Current and retired players are against this. BTW do you know that the Patriots are the only team that has not lost revenue in the last 2 years, can't say that about the Colts, maybe it's Irsay, o excuse me Polian, that needs the money. HMMM wonder why ole Peyton hasn't gotten a contract yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HonnitHowse. Show HonnitHowse's posts

Polean nose jack. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

I'm against going to 18 games as, I believe, most fan are, and reportedly most players.  Sixteen regular season game plus the playoffs is enough for me.

But if the NFL keeps a total of 20 games on the schedule as has been discussed, reducing the number of pre-season games to two from four, then I think the players will reluctantly go along as long as they are well compensated in the new CBA, and they most certainly will be well compensated for the two additional regular season game, which happen to be much more intense and demanding than the pre-season games.

But overall they will be playing 20 games total, same as before but with the 2 additional games carrying much more compensation from the league.

On the other had, I'll be the first to admit that I have much to learn about this issue and about the CBA and potential lock-out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Game - Look at Shen's email.  He's saying what I am saying.  This is a negotiation thing.  Since the start of the season we have started to see some manuevering.  For example, players are voting to decertify the union.  Now, the owners are starting to play some of their cards.  Polian is just a messenger.  He's not the devil here. 

Of course the players are against it and they (including Peyton Manning) are making their comments about the enhanced schedule.   

As for the revenue comment, I don't know where you got your info, but Forbes  says that the colts have increased their revenue in each of the last 2 years.  Maybe you can provide your source.   

Finally, Manning's contract - Maybe he doesn't have it because he hasn't complained like Brady.  Maybe its because he reworked his contract a couple of times making it back loaded and is making 20 mill this year.  Maybe they are working on it now.  Maybe its not as much of an issue for him like it is Brady.  Whatever, the reason, we don't hear Manning or "sources" spouting off about the contract like we did with Brady.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

I think he wants it because it is the only way that Peyton can ever catch Favre's stats. Can't have Lord Peyton having fewer yards and TDs then a mediocre QB can we?
    Posted by FishTaco64

What information leads you to believe that Manning cant or even wants to catch Favre's stats?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

I'm against going to 18 games as, I believe, most fan are, and reportedly most players.  Sixteen regular season game plus the playoffs is enough for me. But if the NFL keeps a total of 20 games on the schedule as has been discussed, reducing the number of pre-season games to two from four, then I think the players will reluctantly go along as long as they are well compensated in the new CBA, and they most certainly will be well compensated for the two additional regular season game, which happen to be much more intense and demanding than the pre-season games. But overall they will be playing 20 games total, same as before but with the 2 additional games carrying much more compensation from the league. On the other had, I'll be the first to admit that I have much to learn about this issue and about the CBA and potential lock-out.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

I've never heard anything about actually extending the total # of games including preseason.  Only adding Reg season games and reducing preseason games.  Fans don't like having to pay for 2 preseason games that are meaningless.  If the League can increase the games to 17 or 18 they can ask the networks for more money. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

NFL owners are getting Greedy. They want more money. They charge a absurd amount of money for tickets. I cannot even afford to go to a game any longer. I live in the midwest, was looking for tickets on Ticket master and the Bears Patriots game was over $200 a ticket. Now they want to water down the game? More injuries, etc... Sounds like a bad idea. They have a good think going and a strike will ruin it. Wait and see. Greed always does a person/corporation in eventually.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

I agree.  I don't like the idea either.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Polian is an idiot.
    Posted by IndyIove

did you get banned again dog?    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

My two cents....

Everyone yawns at the 4 game pre-season schedule AND fans are paying regular season prices to see them... ( I received $90 tics to see the Ravens and the Giants this pre-season, I was aghast at that price for a pre-season game)  so.. what is good about going to 18 games and done in such a way that players do not physically suffer?

#1 - less pre-season cr*p.  The players already conduct so many OTAs and other off season training, it is not like they have to "re-learn" their skills. I think they'd rather bang on each other when it counts.
    #2 - Expand the roster and the cut downs can occur into the first 2 - 4 games of the regular season.  IE - 70 players by 1st game, 65 into game 2 and maintain 60 for the season, for example.  Also, larger practice squads.  If a team is REALLY that good, it will win even these early season games that count.
    #3 - In the playoffs, all division winners get byes, not just #1 & 2 seeds, and an added wild card play each other for the next round.
    #4 - (from an owners perspective) the owners have most of the risk, players DO get paid handsomely and they know the risks of playing this sport..  I do not care for crying millionaires about their "achy" bodies..  manage the millions you make in your 3 - 4 year career or more and you can be set for life!

Sections
Shortcuts