Locks to make the opening day roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfans. Show patsfans's posts

Locks to make the opening day roster

Who are your absolute locks (make a list) to make the opening 53 day roster?  I'm curious to hear which guys you feel will definitely make the team, which along with what guys that many here you feel will be left looking for a new team once camp is over. 

I've seen others who have done this and they've found some tough cuts needed to be made when they looked at the numbers, so I'd like to see what some of you in here come up with as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Locks to make the opening day roster

QB: Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer
    RB: Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk
    WR: Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, Taylor Price, Torry Holt
    TE: Alge Crumpler, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez
    OL: Sebastian Vollmer, Matt Light, Stephen Neal, Nick Kaczur, Dan Koppen, Rich Ohrnberger, Mark Levoir
    DL: Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Mike Wright, Myron Pryor, Ron Brace (because of his high pick status he'll get another chance)
    ILB: Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Gary Guyton
    OLB: Tully Banta-Cain, Jermain Cunningham, Derrick Burgess
    CB: Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler, Devin McCourty, Jonathan Wilhite
    S: Brandon Meriweather, Patrick Chung, James Sanders

ST: Jake Ingram, Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Sam Aiken (ST captain and too much WR depth)

That's 44 players I'd consider virtual locks to make the team. That leaves 9 players left. I think Ted Larson, Thomas Welch, Brandon Deaderick, Tyrone McKenzie, Shawn Crable, Brandon McGowan, Rob Ninkovich, Kyle Arrington (ST), and Gerard Warren all have very good shots at making the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I'm not sure that Levoir, Holt, and Wilhite are locks. Ninkovich and McKenzie are locks, imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Yeah, the locks vary person to person. I think Levoir proved he's definitely worth a spot as a decent backup. Wilhite is needed depth for the CB corps. Who else will they play if one of the CBs gets hurt? Wilhite is needed, imo. I can understand your reasoning behind Holt not making the cut, but as of now they don't have a legitimate outside receiver. Unless Tate and Price have great training camps, I think Holt makes the team. He's a determined veteran with leadership qualities.

McKenzie shoult definitely make the team, but I didn't feel comfortable putting him as a lock. Ninkovich will probably make the team but if the young LBs have good camps he might not make the cut. I wouldn't say he's a lock yet.

Again, this is all before training camp. There's very little to go off right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

If were talking about "locks"

QB-Brady
    RB-Maroney,Sammy, Faulk
    WR-Randy, Wes, Edelman, Tate, Price
    TE-All 3 of em
    T-Light, SeaBass, Levoir
    C-Koppen, Connolly
    G-Rich Orh, Neal
    DT-Wilfork
    DE-Brace, Ty Warren, Mike Wright
    OLB-Cunningham, Tully, Woods
    ILB-Mayo, Spikes, McKenzie, Guyton, Alexander
    CB-Devin, Darius, Leigh, Wilhite
    S-Chung, Sanders, Meriweather
    ST- The trio of Space Ghost, Zoltan, and Ingram are locks.

I see 41 locks everyone else is up in the air. Crable, Ninkovich, and Burgess arent locks. Wilhite seems to be down for the slot role and honestly thats where he should be unless the teams number 1 is in the slot. 

I see it hard for Fred Taylor to make this team as he probably will have to show the team he can handle wear on his body. I see McKenzie making this team really with not alot of problems.

The OLB position is basically a free for all. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

These guys:

Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Stephen Gostkowski, Sebastian Vollmer, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Logan Mankins, Kevin Faulk, Matt Light, Brian Hoyer, Aaron Hernandez, Nick Kaczur, Rob Gronkowski, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman, Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Meriweather, Leigh Bodden, Tully Banta-Cain, Ty Warren, Darius Butler, Pat Chung, Mike Wright, Gary Guyton, Myron Pryor, Rob Ninkovich, Jonathan Wilhite, James Sanders, Brandon Spikes, Devin McCourty, Jermaine Cunningham

...are all pretty much locks; whether it because of skill, contract, experience, potential, or by virtue of odds, they're all sitting pretty.

Others likely to make it, I think, are: Laurence Maroney, Zoltan Mesko, Thomas Welch, Torry Holt, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Ted Larsen, Dan Connolly, Alge Crumpler, Ron Brace, Tyrone McKenzie, Derrick Burgess, Brandon McGowan.

My "borderline" guys I'm pulling for are: Zac Robinson, Terrence Wheatley, Dane Fletcher, Kyle Arrington, George Bussey, Sergio Brown, Darryl Richard, Matthew Slater, Eric Alexander, Thomas Clayton, Bret Lockett, Chris Taylor.

If I were to put together my 53-man depth chart as of today, assuming what's to come as far as this summer goes, I guess:

QB [3]: Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Zac Robinson
    RB [5]: Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Thomas Clayton
    WR [6]: Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Wes Welker (P.U.P.), Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman, Taylor Price, Matthew Slater
    TE [3]: Aaron Hernandez, Alge Crumpler, Rob Gronkowski
    OL [9]: Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Sebastian Vollmer, Nick Kaczur, Dan Connolly, Mark LeVoir, Ted Larsen

K [1]: Stephen Gostkowski
    LS [1]: Thomas Welch
    P [1]: Zoltan Mesko

DL [7]: Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Myron Pryor, Ron Brace, Darryl Richard, Gerard Warren
    OLB [5]: Tully Banta-Cain, Derrick Burgess, Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunnningham, Shawn Crable
    MLB [4]: Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Gary Guyton, Tyrone McKenzie
    CB [5]: Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler, Devin McCourty, Jonathan Wilhite, Terrence Wheatley
    S [4]: Brandon Meriweather, Pat Chung, James Sanders, Brandon McGowan, Bret Lockett (P.U.P)

PS: George Bussey, Rich Ohrnberger, Kade Weston, Brandon Deaderick, Sergio Brown, Dane Fletcher

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The only "Lock" in New England is Tom Brady. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

In Response to Re: Locks to make the opening day roster:
    Yeah, the locks vary person to person. I think Levoir proved he's definitely worth a spot as a decent backup. Wilhite is needed depth for the CB corps. Who else will they play if one of the CBs gets hurt? Wilhite is needed, imo. I can understand your reasoning behind Holt not making the cut, but as of now they don't have a legitimate outside receiver. Unless Tate and Price have great training camps, I think Holt makes the team. He's a determined veteran with leadership qualities. McKenzie shoult definitely make the team, but I didn't feel comfortable putting him as a lock. Ninkovich will probably make the team but if the young LBs have good camps he might not make the cut. I wouldn't say he's a lock yet. Again, this is all before training camp. There's very little to go off right now.
    Posted by magicalhobo

Holt is not Joey Galloway. That isn't my concern with him. If he makes the team, like it should, he'll be productive when on the field. The only way he doesn't make the team is if both Tate and Price are able to take the position. It sounds like so far that Tate has made a good impression this offseason. I have a lot of faith in Price. So conceivably, I could see this happening, but I do see it as far more likely that we'll be carrying Holt.

I don't believe Wilhite will be cut, but I see him as a possible cut if we carry just 5. During his two seasons with the Pats, he had the edge this past year over Wheatley, but the year before, Wheatley had the edge. Wheatley could regain the edge over him during training camp, especially now that he has had another year to get over his injuries. Kyle Arrington seems the likeliest of the three to make the team. He was an impact player last year in special teams. I would like to see all 6 CBs on the team.

I feel comfortable that McKenzie will make the team. They have to carry at least 4 ILBs. McKenzie adds a bit more size to the Mike position than Mayo and more speed as compared to Spikes. Going into last year, BB was extremely high on that pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he started.

Nincovich is the best of LBs on special teams and the best of the OLBs against the run. I expect right now that he'll start. Pass rushing may be a problem but by the end of the season, BB had gotten the mix right between playing time for Burgess and Nincovich.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

As for Levoir, he should be on the team. The only way he isn't is if Mankins stays with the team, causing Kaczur to stay as the starting right tackle and Levoir gets beaten out by Welch. Such a scenario isn't too unlikely.

Sections
Shortcuts