Logan Mankins..."I’ve heard there’s this thing in football called free agency."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Logan Mankins..."I’ve heard there’s this thing in football called free agency."

Trying to feel bad for him, but I can't......Not sure of his salaries the past two years when franchised, but I know he was a top tier player at his position!

Logan Mankins still holds out hope for free agency

Baltimore Ravens v New England Patriots - Wild Card RoundGetty Images

The Patriots applied the franchise tag to Logan Mankins before the work stoppage, but the Pro Bowl guard is still hoping that he’ll get a hail mary and somehow be free to choose his next team.

I’ve heard there’s this thing in football called free agency,” Mankins said sarcastically at Matt Light’s charity Lockout breakfast, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.  ”It’s been two years now [since my contract expired], and I haven’t seen it. Maybe one of these days I could actually experience that.”

There’s no reason to think it will be this year.  Whether the NFL reverts to 2010 rules or comes up with new rules for free agency, the league figures to maintain the franchise tag.  Mankins isn’t sure whether he would sign a long-term deal in New England, if he got the right offer.

“I’ve thought about that,” Mankins said.   “I don’t know. I’m not going to put any answers out there on that right now. I’ll wait until there is a season in progress before I decide.”

Despite all the drama, we suspect Mankins may be in New England for a long time

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Logan Mankins..."I’ve heard there’s this thing in football called free agency."

Have a feeling Mankins is not long for the Patriots.  Too bad, but we've all debated his situation to death and it seems that the best course of action is for the Pats to get something for him if some other team is willing to fork over the dosh and the draft pick. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Re: Logan Mankins..."I’ve heard there’s this thing in football called free agency."

It is a very regrettable situation.  Mankins is obviously still unhappy with the Patriots front office.  I feel the offer he got was fair, but thats up to him to decide.  Reguardless, the fact that when he did play last season he still came out and performed at a very high level even though he was disgruntled shows you the caliber of player he is and his level of competitiveness.  I will be sad to see him go and I bet TB and the running backs will too.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Mankins was franchised according to an agreement made by his union. For all the complaining the players do about the owners they don't seem to have an issue with walking away from their legal commitments.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

Trade him, I highly doubt he will be as "great" as he thinks he is if he goes to Cardinals, Ciny, Browns, Chicago or the Lions would be a good place for him but I say the lousier team the better.
    It is kind of funny how BB gets the best he can out of people and when they go somewhere else (not every time but alot of time) they are merely average.
    Offer the contract to Galley the Free Agent Guard out of Oakland and call it a day, which I said after they Franchised him, there is no reason to try and keep a guy who wants out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Mankins never walked away from any legal commitment.  When he didn't report last year, he wasn't under contract so he had no obligation to report.  Until he signed the tender (which he didn't do until he returned), he was a free man--not getting paid and under no obligation to work for the Pats since he had no contract with them.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Mankins got tagged this year but hasn't signed it...so he's a free agent to go wherever he wants if the players win with no compensation to the pats....If the tag remains this year he still doesn't have to report & can sit out(the whole year) like he did the 1st 6 games last year...my hope is that the tag remains & the Pats work out a deal with some other team when the season starts & trade him away...I'm sick of this blow hards greed & self entitled attitude....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

All this tag and trade talk is bull sh*t, he is our best O linemen, we drafted him and groomed him and now we need to pay him so he can help this team win a title.

Haven't they tried to pay him?  I don't blame the Pats for not wanting to make Mankins the highest paid interior lineman in the league.  How is a sign and trade b.s. if they're pretty sure he won't re-sign with them?  I'd admit both sides have looked bad in this situation, but I don't think it's necessarily good business to cave and give Mankins the best deal ever for a guard.  They're better off with him on the team, but every negotiation requires compromise and Mankins seems to be a man who won't compromise.     

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Guards are a dime a dozen, I'd rather draft a monster O Tackle, give Light a reasonable contract and shift him inside when the kid is ready.  The Patriots pay but they never overpay... 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Mankins is a free agent, but the franchise tag provision allows teams to prevent a free agent from working for anyone else.  Mankins choice as a tagged free agent is to work for the franchise tag salary for the team that tagged him or not to work in the NFL at all.  (A trade can be worked out, but only if Mankins and the teams involved all agree to the trade.)

At least those were the rules under the old CBA. Mankins (as a party to the Brady lawsuit) has explicitly challenged the legality of franchise tags that restrict his ability to negotiate freely as a free agent.

I'd be very surprised if anybody tries a "tag and trade" in this environment. I'd be willing to bet that Mankins would immediately challenge that trade and ask for an injunction against it. The injunction would almost certainly be granted. Furthermore, the NFL's action would then by used by players as more evidence against the league of it's anticompetitive rules.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I hear there are these players in the NFL that don't whine and moan constantly. You would think that maybe watching Brady handle his situation with such class and coming out of it so well last year might have made this clown see there is another way but I guess not.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i think he is turning into richard seymour

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Without getting into the useless semantic minutiae of what is or is not a free agent . . .  or what value being a "free" agent has if you can't really decide your own fate (which is exactly what Mankins is complaining about), it seems to me that the guy doesn't so much want to play for more money, or for another team, as he wants to be the guy who decides those things. It's not an unreasonable request, but he sure has sounded like an ungrateful b*tch while trying to make his point.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Mankins will learn the hard way, like others did before him, it's better when the players around you are good, playing for a winner extends your career and marketability.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Mankins..."I’ve heard there’s this thing in football called free agency.":
    Without getting into the useless semantic minutiae of what is or is not a free agent . . .  or what value being a "free" agent has if you can't really decide your own fate (which is exactly what Mankins is complaining about), it seems to me that the guy doesn't so much want to play for more money, or for another team, as he wants to be the guy who decides those things. It's not an unreasonable request, but he sure has sounded like an ungrateful b*tch while trying to make his point.
    Posted by p-mike

it seems to me that the guy doesn't so much want to play for more money, or for another team, as he wants to be the guy who decides those things

p-mike

I agree with your point mostly, Mankins seems to fancy himself a man of principle and I don't doubt he is, but his message, mostly coming from his agent's mouth, has definitely not resonated well with some as it does sound a bit whiny.   But if reports that he turned down a top notch deal are to be believed, how can that be explained?  It comes across as a money grab and it seems like he's trying to force his way out of town. 

I'd rather he were here, but I'd also rather the Pats get something for him while they can, a la Richard Seymour.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Love Mankins and they need to work it out...but he has a tag and if that stays in effect, he'll be playing here one more year. Before the lockout they could have grabbed a few vet OL but didn't.
    60maxpowero.com

Sections
Shortcuts