Logan Mankins fails at Math

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LawDawg94. Show LawDawg94's posts

Re: Logan Mankins fails at Math

Not to mention that if there is no football next year he loses another 7/8 mil on top of it.  I wish I make half of what he's made so far in my life time...  Owners and players are all getting rich, so I don't want either side to complaint. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

His value if anything has gone down. Instead of the Pats O-Line struggling, it's been pretty much the strongest unit on the team. Dan Connolly has locked up the position. Teams will be questioning whether the sceme made Mankins look good or the players around him. I doubt he'll get anything close to what the Pats offered him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Do the pats have to take him back and tie up a roster spot? I would question his motivation and would be leary of letting him play. He could end up letting TB get killed. Who would want to take the chance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I can see Belichick walking up to him at the end of the season laughing and saying

"You son of a b*tch, you thought you could sit on your farm for more than half the season, then walk in here for 6 games and expect to get a season credited? Not today fat-load, you're getting tagged and we're getting value for you."

Don't just let Logan Mankins walk at the end of the season, get some value for him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

From what Mankins has said, in his mind it really isn't about the money anymore. He just feels Kraft lied to him and he doesn't want to play for the Pats because of that. But of course, it is also about money--and until you know the details of what he was offered, you really don't know if Mankins' decision was a good or bad one.  If none of the money was guaranteed and it all came late in the contract period, then the contract was worth a lot less than what other top guards are getting, where large portions of the money are apparently paid upfront in big signing bonuses.  My understanding (from sketchy press reports) is that the deal paid Mankins "only" about $3.5 million this year--with the bulk of the money coming down the road and not guaranteed. In today's NFL, where players get big signing bonuses, maybe Mankins feels he can get the big bonus next year--and since bonuses are guaranteed, that money in the pocket next year is worth more than a promise to receive money three or four years from now when--who knows--he might not even be playing because of injury or because he was cut (since teams can cut players under contract at anytime).  Mankins (assuming he comes back in week 10) probably ends up short $2 to $3 million this year.  But if it allows him to pick up an $8 or $9 million signing bonus next year that he wouldn't have otherwise gotten, his holdout will have made a lot of sense.  Fans don't seem to understand how contracts work. They just look at the total dollars--but timing of payment and guarantees are also extremely important to valuing a contract.  And if timing and guarantees in the Pats' offer were poor, Mankins could very well be better off signing with another team for less total money, as long as more of that money is guaranteed and paid immediately.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFaninAtl. Show SoxFaninAtl's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Mankins fails at Math:
    [QUOTE]Not to mention that if there is no football next year he loses another 7/8 mil on top of it.  I wish I make half of what he's made so far in my life time...  Owners and players are all getting rich, so I don't want either side to complaint. 
    Posted by LawDawg94[/QUOTE]

You know I understand the players and the owners side it is a business and you go into business to make money, but at the same time this kind of squabbling over money most of us only dream to make alienates them from many of their fans. Call me naive but I think it would be safe to assume that the vast majority of NFL fans make less than 100k a year. So fussing about an extra 1 million a year looks both greedy and petty. makes me kinda wish that there would be a lock out, but hey most of those guys have enough money stored up anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

[QUOTE]His value if anything has gone down. Instead of the Pats O-Line struggling, it's been pretty much the strongest unit on the team. Dan Connolly has locked up the position. Teams will be questioning whether the sceme made Mankins look good or the players around him. I doubt he'll get anything close to what the Pats offered him.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this post - I posted something very similar on a different thread about Mankins - he is losing money every game that goes by when Brady's jersey is staying clean - Mankins - like so many other former Pats who over valued their worth - is a product of the system

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

I  pretty much agree with everyone but I'd franchise him if there is a season next year now that Brady is signed and Moss is gone. Just to punish the guy.What's he going to do sit out another year? Although everyone,especially the players know that football is a business there are probably some players in the lockerroom not too happy with Logan these days.In Bill We Trust!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

Don't complain about their income levels and say you hope there is a lockout, if you don't like it, don't pay to watch. Don't cry about it. There are so many things wrong with that mentality, and its a big part of why so many never reach 100k. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LawDawg94. Show LawDawg94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Mankins fails at Math : You know I understand the players and the owners side it is a business and you go into business to make money, but at the same time this kind of squabbling over money most of us only dream to make alienates them from many of their fans. Call me naive but I think it would be safe to assume that the vast majority of NFL fans make less than 100k a year. So fussing about an extra 1 million a year looks both greedy and petty. makes me kinda wish that there would be a lock out, but hey most of those guys have enough money stored up anyway.
    Posted by SoxFaninAtl[/QUOTE]

I agree with you and wish there is a lock out to show both side working together will bank them the most money.  I understand both sides of the coin.  Some fan's just want Mr. Kraft to pay the dude, but at the same time Mr. Kraft has to be responsible to his shareholder.  I know there isn't a salary cap this year, but w/o knowing what the pay structure would look like you can't spend money you may not have.  I've learned plenty in the government sector to know doing some crap like that will land me in jail... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Logan Mankins fails at Math:
    [QUOTE]Mankins was supposedly offered a 6 yr $42m deal so about $7m/yr. He wanted closer to the 7yr $56m deal that Evans got at $8m/yr. Now he'll come in on Nov 16 and sign his $1m tender for the year. Suppose he manages to get a deal next year like the Evans deal. Since he's one year older it's fair to assume that any deal he gets that's comparable to the Evans deal will be for 6 yrs not 7 yrs. So suppose he gets the $8m/yr and it's a 6 yr $48m contract at $8m/yr. So basically if he signed with us it would have been 6 yrs for $42m and this way he gets 6+1=7yrs for $1m+$48m=$49m. So the same $7m/yr. And that assumes someone is willing to pay Mankins $8m/yr next year, making him the highest paid guard in the league, which I personally don't think is likely. So by wasting a year of the prime of his professional career and by making only $1m this year instead of the $7m he was offered for his services this year, he will be making less overall money than he could have. Not to mention the intangibles he loses. By not staying with the Pats he increases his chances of not being a good fit in some other system and getting released. And by holding out he seems like a malcontent and teams are unlikely to plump down a big contract for him. This was one of the stupidest decision made by a professional athlete, sitting out at the prime of your career.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Brilliant!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I think most of the posters on this board felt Mankins turned down a fair deal. If he is punished monetarily, it's all his fault. If  he shows up out of shape then what ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

There is also the angle of losing out on a trade.  There are numerous teams that could use a lineman.  I think there is still a few (very few) days until the deadline.  This is truely a lose lose situation.  His unwillingnes to negotiate. I wonder if the Patriots wew willing to offer a negotiatiat and  trade  situationd like the Chargers were doing with their receiver

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

When Mankins is back at his ranch in Cali who will really care? He's not and was never going to be a Patriot for life,greed was going to drive him away. Like my daddy taught me many years ago "You can't take the spots off a Leopard" you are what you are and in most cases change isn't possible. By the way Connolly is a better guard at this point in time so Mankins services aren't needed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Mankins fails at Math : Reporting in week 10 Mankins will sign his $1.54m reduced tender. Working only 6 weeks he will get paid pro-rated 6/17x1.54 = $0.5m for those 6 weeks. I'd say he'd be short more than "$2 to $3 million" this year.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Not if he was scheduled to be paid only $3.5 million this year, which is what some reports have said.  My main point here is that unless you know all the details of the contract--when money is paid, how much is paid in each year, and how much is guaranteed--you can't do the math. The fact that it averages to $7 or $8 million a year doesn't matter if most of the money is paid later in the contract and isn't guaranteed.