Lombardi Shares Insight of BB's Draft Approach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Re: Lombardi Shares Insight of BB's Draft Approach

Never said "2nd best in NFL". NEver said it. Ever. I am not even a Meriweather fan.  The fact is he was the 2nd FS choice in back to back Pro Bowls so apparently some people out there thought he was pretty good here.  Can't deny facts.

Your lies are documented in black and white with your fellow trolls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In response to "Re: Lombardi Shares Insight of BB's Draft Approach": [QUOTE]Never said "2nd best in NFL". NEver said it. Ever. I am not even a Meriweather fan.  The fact is he was the 2nd FS choice in back to back Pro Bowls so apparently some people out there thought he was pretty good here.  Can't deny facts. Your lies are documented in black and white with your fellow trolls. Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE] Rusty , we've been through this a few times. You claim to have never said it. I bump the thread , you hide and pretend it didn't happen. I'll try and find it again for ya pal.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Lombardi Shares Insight of BB's Draft Approach:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lombardi Shares Insight of BB's Draft Approach : Just a hypothetical...we had a roster last year that had several non drafted free agents playing prominent rolls. We also historically have several guys that are not even on teams on speed dial, that come in and sign some sort of contract - finish the rest of the year on the roster and are never heard from again (yet play pretty good). So what I propose is this...we can find back ups, coach them up and put them into positions to not get exposed (even flourish). Why not heavens to Betsy draft for right now, rather than trade our firsts into next year and next and next? Or my Jesus...sign a top level free agent? I mean we already have the coach to put lesser talented guys into position where they won't get exposed (see our recent rash of second round selections). And lord knows we have a QB that can carry this team on his back while our low ranked defense gets embarrassed time after time.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

What you're proposing would make a great deal of sense if there weren't a salary cap to deal with.  Every move that a GM makes has consequences and paying a high level FA is probably the most impactful move a GM could make.  Would there be impact on the field to the point where it would effect the team's overall record? Perhaps; perhaps not.  Would there be an impact on the cap and limit the GM's ability to build a team?  Unquestionably.

I'll take BB's approach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Mthurl,

Read the "War room" by Michael Holley. This will help learn you on why Bill Belichick wrote the modern day book on how to build a team, both through the draft, FA and via the trade. These are all characteristics of a great GM mind you and not just a great coach.

The value system that he developed and his own unique way of grading prospects is one of a kind and has revolutionized the team building process. It has become the goal for many rebuilding franchises to develop their teams in "The Patriot Way". This is not coincidence. I wish other teams were as naive as you in thinking that we were just lucky to have Brady fall in our laps. That way our players/coaches and team building concepts would not be stolen from us on a season to season basis.

Unfortunately they are aware that BB's methods are the best in the business and will continue to model their franchises after what Bill Belichick has built in Foxboro.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: Lombardi Shares Insight of BB's Draft Approach:
    [QUOTE]Personally I think it takes a blend of talent, character and passion. And this is unfortunate - you'd much rather just have passionate character guys on your team, but the truth is you need talent (whatever the ratio is I'm not sure). I think Belichick's approach works...when coupled with some high end talent. In all honesty I think most everything works when you have the QB that we have (and I've said this over and over). Lombardi wasn't writing cute articles on Belichick's approach to team building when he was in Cleveland...why? Because he had lousy QB's and to write about his drafts or team building would of been laughable at the time. Back then he was known as a solid coach - his teams were big, strong, experienced, disciplined and very tough...despite that they weren't anywhere near talented enough to win much of anything. With the QB he has now things are different. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

What first identifies players that may have pro potential? Talent, character and passion alone won't do it yet they are  obviously important core qualities. What first identifies prospective pro football players is their PRODUCTION and relative DOMINANCE among their peers.

Next comes the qualifiers like size, strength, speed, athleticism and level of competition. Do they have active motors and do they excel at a consistently high level? What are their strengths and weaknesses?  Finally, can they compete against opponents with comparable measurables?

What apparently confounds the "experts" is the  temptation to focus too heavily on  the measurables vs character/passion in estimating talent level and likely pro production.  Two players in this draft that may indicate this temptation are Poe and Brockers.  Both have measurables that suggest stardom if they are properly coached up and IF they also have the character, determination and passion to be the best. Yet did either player, in view of their measurables, give the type of college production that merits high praise or is our excitement  based more on what they could be rather than what they have been?

Have the "draft failures" in the BB era perhaps been influenced by placing too much emphasis on measurables and future potential rather than talent, level of production, character and passion as indicated in their collegiate performance? 

Sections
Shortcuts