Lonely, Depressed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: Lonely, Depressed

O god, here we go again, is this the same "poster" who was in love with Peyton last year----forgot her name!  I'm laughing that so many are falling for this.  HA HA HA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Catfight

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Lonely, Depressed:
    [QUOTE]LG, if this post was legit, I can understand why you came here.  As someone else mentioned, a few months ago someone posted on this board that was very depressed. That was me.  At the time i was even considering suicide.  The reason I came here is because i have been reading/posting here for years (this is not my regular account, this was a bunk account I made up a long time ago to taunt a troll but I used this account for anominity).  I felt safe coming here because I had an idea of what types of people the posters on this board were.  I had an idea of how they judged, how they reacted, how they thought.  I knew I would get alot of flak here by posting what I did, but I knew the opinions would be real.  I have to say I am still in a funk right now, but my life is looking up.   One thing somebody told me a long time ago was that there are things you can controll, and things you can't controll.  You cant let the things that you cannont controll get in the way of the things you can controll.  Often times these are difficult to differentiate, especially when things are hard, but by grasping hold of the things you can influence and change, is very empowering. Another great piece of advice that was given by another poster is to realise how blessed you are.  You could be a starving child in africa born with HIV and malnurished and with a 25 year life expectancy.  You could have been sold into child sex slavery and lived an entire short life of abuse.  There are many other awful scenarios, but you understand where Im going. Sometimes my depression comes from guilt  from not taking full advantage of my opportunities.  But you cant let those things hold you back.  You have to try to make the most out of what you have on this earth. As for your family only giving one "help" per year, I know that feeling too.  But I know that if your family cares enough to help once, they can help again.  If they care enough to help, they do it because they want the best for you, not because they have too.  You may feel like **** asking for more help, but Im sure they would rather see you happy than be minorly inconvienienced. I have stuggled with drugs and alcohol as crutches before, but I wouldnt call myself an addict.  I have been to AA and NA meetings on the regular before and I know that even though I wouldnt consider myself an addict, it is an inspirational place to get help.  It is an amazing support net.  I would recommend that you stay with this. Lastly, I dont know what you did that was "dishonest", but untill you can be honest with yourself first and always, you will be unhappy.  I know how hard it is to admit the truth sometimes, whether it be a mistake or a recurring problem or even a huge problem that may not have come up before, but being able to tell the people close to you is so freeing.  Now you cant go around just screwing over everyone and apologize rinse and repeat and expect everything to be ok, but part of telling the truth is opeing up yourself, and therefor to be held to a higher standard by those around you. Im sorry if this post was so jumbled but its late.  I hope you can let us know you are ok tomorrow.  Best of luck sincerly, NOT indylove
    Posted by IndyIove[/QUOTE]

thanks for the sincere and vulnerable share.
    blessings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LonelyGirl. Show LonelyGirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lonely, Depressed : jesus c!,  i read this thread and find my faith in humanity restored a bit. people actually caring, offering their thoughts, their heart, their support- on a football thread! (regardless of who lonelygirl is) i feel better about life and better about the world.. totally... sincerely.  i am so grateful for those of you who offered support! the world's a better place today. thanks again. now make sure you treat yourselves well and those in your life. there arent more important things in the world than BEING love. never thought i'd say that here, but what the heck, it just felt true to say. peace and be well
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your sincere support. That means a lot to me. You are right and courageous for saying that to me. I am going to get my life back on the right track.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LonelyGirl. Show LonelyGirl's posts

[QUOTE]LG, if this post was legit, I can understand why you came here.  As someone else mentioned, a few months ago someone posted on this board that was very depressed. That was me.  At the time i was even considering suicide.  The reason I came here is because i have been reading/posting here for years (this is not my regular account, this was a bunk account I made up a long time ago to taunt a troll but I used this account for anominity).  I felt safe coming here because I had an idea of what types of people the posters on this board were.  I had an idea of how they judged, how they reacted, how they thought.  I knew I would get alot of flak here by posting what I did, but I knew the opinions would be real.  I have to say I am still in a funk right now, but my life is looking up.   One thing somebody told me a long time ago was that there are things you can controll, and things you can't controll.  You cant let the things that you cannont controll get in the way of the things you can controll.  Often times these are difficult to differentiate, especially when things are hard, but by grasping hold of the things you can influence and change, is very empowering. Another great piece of advice that was given by another poster is to realise how blessed you are.  You could be a starving child in africa born with HIV and malnurished and with a 25 year life expectancy.  You could have been sold into child sex slavery and lived an entire short life of abuse.  There are many other awful scenarios, but you understand where Im going. Sometimes my depression comes from guilt  from not taking full advantage of my opportunities.  But you cant let those things hold you back.  You have to try to make the most out of what you have on this earth. As for your family only giving one "help" per year, I know that feeling too.  But I know that if your family cares enough to help once, they can help again.  If they care enough to help, they do it because they want the best for you, not because they have too.  You may feel like **** asking for more help, but Im sure they would rather see you happy than be minorly inconvienienced. I have stuggled with drugs and alcohol as crutches before, but I wouldnt call myself an addict.  I have been to AA and NA meetings on the regular before and I know that even though I wouldnt consider myself an addict, it is an inspirational place to get help.  It is an amazing support net.  I would recommend that you stay with this. Lastly, I dont know what you did that was "dishonest", but untill you can be honest with yourself first and always, you will be unhappy.  I know how hard it is to admit the truth sometimes, whether it be a mistake or a recurring problem or even a huge problem that may not have come up before, but being able to tell the people close to you is so freeing.  Now you cant go around just screwing over everyone and apologize rinse and repeat and expect everything to be ok, but part of telling the truth is opeing up yourself, and therefor to be held to a higher standard by those around you. Im sorry if this post was so jumbled but its late.  I hope you can let us know you are ok tomorrow.  Best of luck sincerly, NOT indylove
    Posted by IndyIove[/QUOTE]

It's funny why I would pick this board to open up and share. I think it's because there's something admire very deeply about the Pats. I admire the way the organization has been run since Kraft's took over. Whether it is the "Patriot Way" or just the aura of fairness and integrity that exudes from the organization I can't say? But, it is an emotional draw I feel and so I was willing to risk it here knowing that some people would think I'm scamming them or a troll etc.

Anyway, I am happy I did. Your share is very inspirational. Addiction is misery and turning away from all people completely is worse. I can't live this way. I am going to put myself back in the 12 step programs even though it is embarrassing to go back. I am going to be honest and tell others how scared I am to have faith in them and then I am going to be trustworthy so others can rely on me. This is a big step for me because I ams so scared to be trustworthy because I afraid of being burned.

I want people to know I value their support and I am re-reading all the supportive posts. Thanks.
    LG

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

what a bunch of suckers....  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonHa. Show DonHa's posts

For once JintsFan is right

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lonely, Depressed : It's funny why I would pick this board to open up and share. I think it's because there's something admire very deeply about the Pats. I admire the way the organization has been run since Kraft's took over. Whether it is the "Patriot Way" or just the aura of fairness and integrity that exudes from the organization I can't say? But, it is an emotional draw I feel and so I was willing to risk it here knowing that some people would think I'm scamming them or a troll etc. Anyway, I am happy I did. Your share is very inspirational. Addiction is misery and turning away from all people completely is worse. I can't live this way. I am going to put myself back in the 12 step programs even though it is embarrassing to go back. I am going to be honest and tell others how scared I am to have faith in them and then I am going to be trustworthy so others can rely on me. This is a big step for me because I ams so scared to be trustworthy because I afraid of being burned. I want people to know I value their support and I am re-reading all the supportive posts. Thanks. LG
    Posted by LonelyGirl[/QUOTE]

Sorry I came in a bit late to this discussion, but I just saw your initial post.

First of all, don't feel like you're "different" in any way due to your depression. We have all been there, or at least most of us have. We just express it in different ways.

Around 2005 or so, I began having problems at work----crappy new boss, longer hours for the same mediocre money, arbitrary new rules that affected my work schedule and routine, etc., etc. I first began dealing with it by seeking my own form of self-medication: not drugs or alcohol, but food. Lots and lots of trips to the Wendy's, BK and McDonald's drive thru windows after work, and then the candy aisle at the supermarket to top it off. That only served to make me fatter and make me feel worse about myself, naturally.

Things got worse and worse at work and my eating "fix" eventually turned into full-on depressive feelings. I swear that I hadn't cried in about 10 years, but one day I suddenly found myself welling up with tears and convulsing at my desk--and I was a grown man in his late 30s at that point. Obviously, that's when I realized that I needed to do something to take my mind off the nightmare at work. I was looking for a new job, naturally, but that's a long process sometimes, so that wasn't going to be a quick fix either.

What I ended up doing was WRITING DOWN EVERYTHING I FELT on a particular day before I went to bed at night. Basically, just keeping a journal. I found it a good way to express my feelings and get some sort of "release" from the negativity, even if it was just temporary. There were times when I was, literally, pounding my fingers down hard on my keyboard as I was forming the words, but the words came out onto the page, and I did feel a sense of "release" after I was done.

I also began to realize that I had become so depressed over what was happening at work because it was, really, my only social outlet at that time in my life. Most of my good friends lived in other states and I had no romantic relationship either.

So what I did was to volunteer to help with Special Olympics events. I had done it once before, many years earlier, because an ex-girlfriend of mine was working with them on a project. I really enjoyed that day. It was a very uplifting experience, and so I volunteered to help out at a local event. It was another uplifting experience and it also got me into a "social" circle full of people who would NEVER judge another individual based on anything other than the content of their character (we're talking about people who deal with handicapped kids and adults their entire lives, so they would never judge people based on anything but the type of person they are).

Eventually, the work situation imploded--it didn't end well and deteriorated into outright animosity between myself and my new bosses: I ended up just quitting in 2006, without having another job. But by that time the other adjustments I'd made in my life (keeping a journal, volunteering to expand my social circle, etc.) had helped me to deal with the negative emotions I was feeling, and at least got me back on a more even kiel.....of course, the eating problem still exists, but that's no longer due to depression, it's due to the fact that I love food too much and I grew up in an Italian home with an Italian mother :-)

My suggestion would be to take it slow and just try to re-introduce yourself into social circles through volunteering, or even do what you're doing now, which is reaching out to people online (I'd be a little careful about the latter, however, because there are a lot of very bad people out there online looking to take advantage of vulnerable souls like yourself---and I've found that seeking comfort online is nice for awhile, but there's no substitute for sharing a meal or having a cup of coffee and chatting with someone face-to-face).

I'd also suggest keeping the journal. Whatever negative emotions you're having on a certain day, you'd be much better off seeking a "release" from them by pouring your thoughts into a word processor rather than pouring alcohol down your throat, or worse. Believe me, stuffing my face with Whoppers and Big Macs did NOT help me deal with the negative emotions I was experiencing six years ago.

And just remember that you have worth as a human being, regardless of how you're feeling right now. I'm sure you've accomplished some things in your life that you can feel proud of, so remind yourself of those things whenever you're feeling worthless or depressed. It's never as bad as you think.

Hang in there and don't try to solve everything at once. It's cliched, of course, but one step at a time is the best way to approach pretty much any problem.

Good luck to you and don't be shy about coming around here again if you ever need to hash things out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

[QUOTE]is this for real???
    Posted by R3S1N20[/QUOTE]
    ================================================
      As real as Leon can make it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

ahhhhhhh, our dysfunctional Patriots family at it's best.

The Cosby's don't exist.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]I can see my posting here is too controversial for some who don't believe someone can be "real" on this site. Thanks to all those who offered sincere encouragement. Your words were important to me. I contacted my sponsor in AA tonite and I am meeting with her tomorrow morning. Best to all Pat fans, LG
    Posted by LonelyGirl[/QUOTE]

AA is for quitters!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

There are an awful lot of new accounts popping up the last day or so

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbptbob. Show nbptbob's posts

This is what we get when people can't maintain a civilized discussion of football...boredom and phony social work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Wow, where to start.  Walk the Charles (or anywhere) on a sunny day with your Ipod and favourite music and take in the busy world around you.  Get yourself a full breakfast on a Saturday morning and then take a long bike ride.  Sit on the seashore and just watch the birds fly on the airdrifts as you listen to the crash of the waves on the rocks.  Get out, meet like-minded people, join a running club, especially one that does a lot of random fun stuff.  Join a pick up league, whether football, softball, or bowling.  Go to a show at the Middle East or your favourite haunt, have a coke and talk to some other music appreciating adults. 

If talking to random strangers on this board keeps you sane, then do it.  I think most of us are here because it fills some spot in our lives where we need to interact with others outside of our inner circle.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Good grief.

Undecided

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

if you are a lonely and depressed go to a football forum populated only by testicles

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]if you are a lonely and depressed go to a football forum populated only by testicles
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

umm, is this a round about way to say that you're a man?  lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]if you are a lonely and depressed go to a football forum populated only by testicles
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

I think NEGAME among others might take offense to that

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Do what God asks and let Him take care of the rest. Pride can make even the most competent and capable person utterly useless to God.

and now back to talking sports..........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Do what God asks and let Him take care of the rest. Pride can make even the most competent and capable person utterly useless to God. and now back to talking sports..........
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

But what about those people who believe God is asking them to kill.

You know religous extremist IN ALL FAITHS not just Muslims but Christians and Jewish have those too.

Then there are those with mental disorders who think they are doing the work of god or are god (Their street name is politicians)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LonelyGirl. Show LonelyGirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lonely, Depressed : Sorry I came in a bit late to this discussion, but I just saw your initial post. First of all, don't feel like you're "different" in any way due to your depression. We have all been there, or at least most of us have. We just express it in different ways. Around 2005 or so, I began having problems at work----crappy new boss, longer hours for the same mediocre money, arbitrary new rules that affected my work schedule and routine, etc., etc. I first began dealing with it by seeking my own form of self-medication: not drugs or alcohol, but food. Lots and lots of trips to the Wendy's, BK and McDonald's drive thru windows after work, and then the candy aisle at the supermarket to top it off. That only served to make me fatter and make me feel worse about myself, naturally. Things got worse and worse at work and my eating "fix" eventually turned into full-on depressive feelings. I swear that I hadn't cried in about 10 years, but one day I suddenly found myself welling up with tears and convulsing at my desk--and I was a grown man in his late 30s at that point. Obviously, that's when I realized that I needed to do something to take my mind off the nightmare at work. I was looking for a new job, naturally, but that's a long process sometimes, so that wasn't going to be a quick fix either. What I ended up doing was WRITING DOWN EVERYTHING I FELT on a particular day before I went to bed at night. Basically, just keeping a journal. I found it a good way to express my feelings and get some sort of "release" from the negativity, even if it was just temporary. There were times when I was, literally, pounding my fingers down hard on my keyboard as I was forming the words, but the words came out onto the page, and I did feel a sense of "release" after I was done. I also began to realize that I had become so depressed over what was happening at work because it was, really, my only social outlet at that time in my life. Most of my good friends lived in other states and I had no romantic relationship either. So what I did was to volunteer to help with Special Olympics events. I had done it once before, many years earlier, because an ex-girlfriend of mine was working with them on a project. I really enjoyed that day. It was a very uplifting experience, and so I volunteered to help out at a local event. It was another uplifting experience and it also got me into a "social" circle full of people who would NEVER judge another individual based on anything other than the content of their character (we're talking about people who deal with handicapped kids and adults their entire lives, so they would never judge people based on anything but the type of person they are). Eventually, the work situation imploded--it didn't end well and deteriorated into outright animosity between myself and my new bosses: I ended up just quitting in 2006, without having another job. But by that time the other adjustments I'd made in my life (keeping a journal, volunteering to expand my social circle, etc.) had helped me to deal with the negative emotions I was feeling, and at least got me back on a more even kiel.....of course, the eating problem still exists, but that's no longer due to depression, it's due to the fact that I love food too much and I grew up in an Italian home with an Italian mother :-) My suggestion would be to take it slow and just try to re-introduce yourself into social circles through volunteering, or even do what you're doing now, which is reaching out to people online (I'd be a little careful about the latter, however, because there are a lot of very bad people out there online looking to take advantage of vulnerable souls like yourself---and I've found that seeking comfort online is nice for awhile, but there's no substitute for sharing a meal or having a cup of coffee and chatting with someone face-to-face). I'd also suggest keeping the journal. Whatever negative emotions you're having on a certain day, you'd be much better off seeking a "release" from them by pouring your thoughts into a word processor rather than pouring alcohol down your throat, or worse. Believe me, stuffing my face with Whoppers and Big Macs did NOT help me deal with the negative emotions I was experiencing six years ago. And just remember that you have worth as a human being, regardless of how you're feeling right now. I'm sure you've accomplished some things in your life that you can feel proud of, so remind yourself of those things whenever you're feeling worthless or depressed. It's never as bad as you think. Hang in there and don't try to solve everything at once. It's cliched, of course, but one step at a time is the best way to approach pretty much any problem. Good luck to you and don't be shy about coming around here again if you ever need to hash things out.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your support. When a person is very vulnerable they need all the support they can get so they move through addiction/negative patterns etc.. I went to meet with my AA sponsor this morning and that was what I needed: to re-connect and gain some strength. I plan to follow this up with a meeting soon. You are right about journaling. What does help me the most is being honest, responsible, acting with integrity and helping others. Doing something to help others gets me  beyond my own self-pity and puts all in perspective.

I would love to talk about football sometime when all is better but the truth is I know very little about all the complexities of the game. Furthermore, since I mostly watch on TV it is hard to see the whole field and know what is really going in the defense etc. I admire some of the people here that can speak from a position of confidence. Anyway, I hope I contribute something  here even if it is from somewhat dysfunctional perspective.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

I hear James Sanders is back practicing. Is that right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

You could be a starving child in africa born with HIV and malnurished and with a 25 year life expectancy.

Oh MY Gosh!...   Whats the over/under on that?!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

You know I tried that in court once and it didnt work out so good.But you always have the memories,keep hope alive!

Well duh! why do you think you never see a book about "Game Warden Senses of Humor" at Barnes and Nobel.