Look who is the #7 Defense vs the Run !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Look who is the #7 Defense vs the Run !!!

7. New England Patriots 88.6 yards per game......   3 TD

8.- Steelers  

10.- San Francisco

Is it a good merit, to be # 7 or teams are just passing all the way VS our team ???

I say it is a start to become a better defense, 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Re: Look who is the #7 Defense vs the Run !!!

Link  

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2012&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Even though you are a troll I have to agree with you. Rusty if allowed would argue this D is comparable to the 85 Bears. On top of that he would have some pilons believing it.

This is the most he's posted all year the day of or the day after a victory. Usually he waits till midweek to figure out what angle he's going to play to defend a secondary that couldn't cover Rita Mcneil.

Have your week Rusty... Enjoy

The secondary has peaked.

I'll revel in a qb and offense that's #1 in the league.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, the secondary hasn't peaked.  Actually, today I'm in the office in front of a computer,and I am a Pats fan hence why I can post more than usual.  Plus, I enjoy slapping trolls and irrationals.

I am sorry you're so disappointed that the D played well again and actually got help this time from the offense over the 4 qtrs, instead of the offense picking its collective nose for 3 straight qtrs.

[/QUOTE]

Not disappointed at all. Who in the league has less weapons then the Rams?

I want this defense to step up against a good offense. Can you tell me te last time that happened?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Dude, honestly...

I've never heard, listened to or read anything from the people you speak of.

Felger, Mazz or whoever. I don't live in Boston and don't even know who they are. I go by what I see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

First of all, I would look at yards per carry vs yards per attempt, and the Patriots are actually the best in the NFL at that. I would certainly rather be good than bad at anything.

I do question how important it is to be good against the run. The top teams in terms of yards per attempt we Baltimore and SF both of who came up just short of making the Super Bowl. However the next 5 teams (Miami, Seattle, Jacksonville, Minnesota and the Jets), all failed to make the playoffs...

Unfortunately, the Patriots are also 28th in the NFL in yards per pass attempt this year. The mystery is why teams run as much as they do against them. I terms of yards against per play from scrimmage the Patriots are actually 25th the NFL. 

As awesome as the Patriots offense has seemed, they averaging the same yards per play (5.8) as the defense is giving up. What that means, I do not know. Atlanta, actually allows more yards per play than they gain.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I want to see this defense with Gregory and Chung back. Yes they are not pro bowlers, or playmakers... they i believe they will improve our pass Defense a lot.

They will kick DMC back to corner, and i think they will be better. Tavon Wilson can play enough downs to prevent another chung injury... i´m cool with that.

Go pats !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I actually think DMC is better in center field then either of the 2 you just mentioned.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First of all, I would look at yards per carry vs yards per attempt, and the Patriots are actually the best in the NFL at that. I would certainly rather be good than bad at anything.

I do question how important it is to be good against the run. The top teams in terms of yards per attempt we Baltimore and SF both of who came up just short of making the Super Bowl. However the next 5 teams (Miami, Seattle, Jacksonville, Minnesota and the Jets), all failed to make the playoffs...

Unfortunately, the Patriots are also 28th in the NFL in yards per pass attempt this year. The mystery is why teams run as much as they do against them. I terms of yards against per play from scrimmage the Patriots are actually 25th the NFL. 

As awesome as the Patriots offense has seemed, they averaging the same yards per play (5.8) as the defense is giving up. What that means, I do not know. Atlanta, actually allows more yards per play than they gain.

[/QUOTE]

Cool data... it´s weird how things work... i still see the glass half full for this defense, specially at week 9, and getting healthier....  + BB already took a bad defense to the SB last year...

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not a mystery, FranBhm. Once you take out either approach (run or pass), it's easier to defend. It's why our offense fell asleep for 3 qtrs forgetting to run or establish it early in those games.

We also did this in Baltimore, which is why it was easier for Baltimore to get back in that game. Their poorous secondary actually looked good against our fading one dimenisonal offense (by choice) faded in the second half.

Are these concepts realy that hard to understand? Also, being "ranked" 28th in passing yards does nothing more than tell us that this is a passing league. All I care about is points or red zone points.

Make them kick FGs, get some turnovers, and we win.

Note how, outside of eeking out the win last week, in every loss this year, we never established a run in the first half and made it easy on the D our offense faced.

Also, in those games, the D was outstanding for 3.5 qtrs or good in 3.5 qtrs allowing 10-14 points in those games, but the points that were scored came very late in the game on phantom PI calls to make the home team look better or big plays the other team made downfield.

Imagine if we ran the ball earlier in the game?   How can anyone dispute the difference with how our D looks, how Brady looks, how the O Line looks, etc, when we establish a run in the first half?

Keep it simple and don't over-manage the offensive personnel.

[/QUOTE]

I think it is a mystery why teams run some much against the Patriots. The Pats are so much better against the run (literally first in the NFL in terms of yards per attempt while being 28th in terms of yards per pass attempt). 

I think that Jets (45% runs) and Rams (42% runs) were both hurt by how much they ran the ball. When a team is significantly better versus the run, you should be throwing closer to 70% of the time. Something like the Steelers game plan versus the Patriots last year. Throw the ball, but eat up clock. Don't run right at the best players on the Patriots defense.

One more note, why do people think the Patriots Red Zone defense is so good? They are 19th in the NFL in terms of Red Zone TD percentage allowed. They are not holding teams to field goals... no matter how much people keep saying it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want to see this defense with Gregory and Chung back. Yes they are not pro bowlers, or playmakers... they i believe they will improve our pass Defense a lot.

They will kick DMC back to corner, and i think they will be better. Tavon Wilson can play enough downs to prevent another chung injury... i´m cool with that.

Go pats !!!

[/QUOTE]

Disagree a bit - personally I think if Chung is out there yesterday our third down defense doesn't stand a chance. Just BOOM!! Throw it in Chung's direction...first down. Doesn't matter the distance, just throw it in his direction. The guy is a nightmare in coverage - he is clueless - and he's too small to help in a lot of other areas as well. I know he loves football and is athletic with some speed, but he's too stupid and too small. I'd take him over Merriweather, but that's not saying much.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Let's say that 4 minutes have gone by in the second half.  You have the ball and your team is down 35 to 7.  Are you going to run the ball up the middle or throw the ball for the rest of the third quarter? 

That's right, unless you want to mail it in and be seen as a quitter by the team owner, you're going to throw the ball.  It's not about the defense, it's about what the opposing coach has to do.  He has to rack up passing yards and not running yards.  This was equally true during the Tennessee blowout, the Buffalo blowout and the St. Louis blowout.  That's one reason why New England is #7 against the run and #28 against the pass.

- - -

Now for a second opinion.  Look at the current injury list:

Kyle Arrington, head

Patrick Chung, shoulder

Marquice Cole, hammy

Steve Gregory, hip

Sterling Moore, knee

Is there anyone left on the field?  Maybe someone will get up after the bye week.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts