Looking back at the Raven's game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Looking back at the Raven's game.

We were ahead 13-7 at the half. So far so good.

After trading punts to start the second half the Raven's mounted a long drive and scored a TD to make it 14-13. A close game at this point.

Pats get the ball back and a 10 yard penalty stifles the drive.

The Raven's mount another long drive culminating with another TD to start the 4th quarter.

Things are getting a bit out of hand here at 21-13.

Time to step up. The Pats start moving the ball but Ridley gets knocked into next Tuesday and coughs up the ball. Ravens score easily making it 28-13.

15 points down with 11 minutes left.

Brady passes them to the Raven's 19 and they go for it on 4th down. No dice. A FG here would have narrowed the lead to 12 points. 8.5 minutes left.

D gets a 3 and out. Good field position. Brady hits Welker for 36. Pass gets intercepted (tipped?).

Ravens burn nearly 5 minutes off the clock and punt. Game over.

2 minutes left and down 15 points. Desperate times. Brady drives them down into the teeth of a Raven's D set up for pass pass pass. He gets picked passing from their 22. Game was already over anyway.

Looks to me like the crucial moment was Ridley getting knocked into next week and coughing up a TD. Exactly the wrong time to do that and that probably was the decisive moment in the game. From that point things became desperate. 

Add in a missed 4th down in desperation time, an INT (tipped?), and a defensive stop that ate up way too much time and you have a rather embarrassing loss.

From Asante Samuel's drop to Welker's drop to Ridley's fumble we just haven't made the plays in these key moments to win these crucial contests in recent years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Looking back at the Raven's game.

i seriously need to be challenged more at my job

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Apparently you disagree that Ridley's turn over allowing a short TD was a key factor in creating a desperate situation in that game little college dweeb. Explain for us.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

The crucial moment was in the gameplanning room when BB and McDaniels turn to Brady and say, "how do you think we should attack them, Tom"?

I am fine with "blaming" BB for not interjecting and overruling what is clearly a failed formation against physical Ds with a good pass rush.

Sorry. I'm not going to join you in bashing BB for how he coaches the team. The guy is clearly the best coach in the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The Ridley fumble was probably the nail in the coffin for us in that game, but poor execution is what got us to that point in the first place.  The blocking in the run game was particularly poor for most of the game and the clock management at the end of the first half as well as some untimely fails on 3rd downs during the 1st half contributed just as much to the loss imo.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

The Ridley fumble was probably the nail in the coffin for us in that game, but poor execution is what got us to that point in the first place.  The blocking in the run game was particularly poor for most of the game and the clock management at the end of the first half as well as some untimely fails on 3rd downs during the 1st half contributed just as much to the loss imo.

I agree. That did put us in a position where such a bigtime fail as Ridley had pretty much sealed our fate. If we had played better before that we could have absorbed the blow and have still been in it.

But it remains that was absolutely the worst time to do what he did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Abysmal showing by the defense in the 2nd half, literally layed down and died. Complete and utter failure by the offense for most of the game. Home game that is. This game scares me more then the SB losses as both of those could have gone either way. This game was a major step backward in terms of mental toughness. Very disappointing.

I didn't mind the game plan going in. I thought we stuck with the run enough but couldn't make a play when it mattered the entire game(run or pass). We are still predictable in our formations, as in announcing a run, or going 4-5 wide. I would like to throw to the RB's more and use Hernandez in the FB role as I believe these formations are too difficult to defend with all our weapons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I agree. That did put us in a position where such a bigtime fail as Ridley had pretty much sealed our fate. If we had played better before that we could have absorbed the blow and have still been in it.

The fumble was the end for sure. Any of you guys think that was an illegal hit? They both lead with their helmets but I would have thought the tie goes to the runner so to speak.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I blame the TEAM....plenty of mistakes to go around. Improvement is needed on BOTH sides of the ball....no need to point at one person or play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Apparently you disagree that Ridley's turn over allowing a short TD was a key factor in creating a desperate situation in that game little college dweeb. Explain for us.

I never said Ridley's fumble wasn't a big factor in us losing the ball game, but I applaud your  continued efforts of mind-reading and twisting people's words to suit your agenda.  It's just too ironic for me to witness your attempts to deflect any criticism from Brady and pin it on any other teammate or coach, ad nauseum.  As pcm stated, Ridley's fumble was the nail in the coffin.  Is that the reason we lost?  NO.

The team flat out got OUTPLAYED.  You see that?  THE TEAM.  BB got outcoached and didn't adjust his gameplan as well as Harbaugh did.  Flacco outplayed Brady.  The Ravens D made more key plays than the Pats defense and thus outplayed them.  We had drops at key points and the Ravens made catches at key points.  Flacco hit his targets at keypoints and Brady missed his targets at keypoints.  The Ravens came into Foxborough all hyped up and entitled off of Ray's retirement announcement and flat out punched the Pats in the mouth.  Good for them.

It happens.  A professional football team with incredible atheletes and smart coaches outperformed our professional football team with incredible athletes and smart coaches.  There's absolutely  no need to continue to point to scapegoats as to why we lost.  We lost as a team.

And don't for one second think that the rest of the board doesn't see what you're trying to do.  You and Rusty keep making threads in attempt to aggravate the other and quite frankly, the majority of the board cannot stand it.  It's like you two are fans of different teams and buttheads at every corner.  Cut it out already.  

You are an old, miserable, antagonistic, provoking jerk with nothing better to do than to start arguments.  

When 3 of the most level-headed and calm fans in Muzwell, ATJ, and tanbass call you out for the same things I'm calling you out for, maybe it's time to consider the things that can't get through that thick skull of yours.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

The fumble was the end for sure. Any of you guys think that was an illegal hit? They both lead with their helmets but I would have thought the tie goes to the runner so to speak.

Could have been illegal, but I think RBs carrying the ball are exempt from helmet to helmet TC. Would be interesting to get a clarify on that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I blame the TEAM....plenty of mistakes to go around. Improvement is needed on BOTH sides of the ball....no need to point at one person or play.

Amen, sir.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I never said Ridley's fumble wasn't a big factor in us losing the ball game, but I applaud your  continued efforts of mind-reading and twisting people's words to suit your agenda.  It's just too ironic for me to witness your attempts to deflect any criticism from Brady and pin it on any other teammate or coach, ad nauseum.  As pcm stated, Ridley's fumble was the nail in the coffin.  Is that the reason we lost?  NO.

Any loss usually has a number of failings that can be pointed to which are valid in explaining the loss. But there usually are one or two especially momentous plays that exceed the others in explaining the fail.

If you have something to contribute then contribute it. And don't cry when somebody calls you out on posting just a stupid animation instead of actually contributing.

Brady was the least of our problems in that game. His errors occurred when the game was pretty much over anyway. Sorry if running down the game shows that. Not really.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Not sure you can blame one person or one play. It did seem that that coming out of the half with a 13-7 lead the Pat's D got off the field quickly and NE drove from roughly their own 25 to the balt 34 and on 3rd and 11 Brady hit Welker right in the numbers on the 21 and he dropped it. They had to punt as they were going into the wind.

To me, being at the game it seemed that the momentum changed right there.

Good point. Something like that doesn't show in the box score. Combine that with Ridley's subsequent fumble and the whole game is suddenly out of hand.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The Ravens basically did what the Jets did in 2010.  They played nickel all game and dared us to run.  In 2010 we didn't try.  In this game we tried and failed.  This is where the loss of Gronk was at its worst as Kruger and Suggs completely dominated all of our TEs when they tried to block.  Different games.  Same results.

As for the defense a lot of wrong people are getting the blame.  Arrington actually had an excellent game despite all the negative press he gets here.  People remember Cole being toasted by Boldin and I agree that that was a coaching mistake for leaving him on him.  That being said the big problems were coverage problems in the middle of the field.  Spikes and Gregory were liabilities that game which is why it wouldn't surprise me to see Gregory get cut and Spikes to leave the field more often on passing downs for someone like Collins.  In addition the pass rush was pretty putrid and the loss of Jones really hurt.  It is very clear to me that BB's offseason has been all about addressing these defensive needs as well as adding some more receiving options should we try and throw against nickel defenses because without Gronk and Edelman we didn't have enough guys to match up against 5+ DBs consistently.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I have a hard time blaming Ridley for a play where he was making the extra effort and putting himself at risk by doing so.  Ridley's play may have put the nail in the coffin so to speak, but it's hard to fault the guy for effort.  The Pats got outhit and outhustled on both sides of the ball and Flacco had a good game throwing it deep and taking advantage of mismatches all over the field.    

I am a bit scoobied as to why we're talking about this in May, unless you want to offer a suggestion as to how the draft and FA signings and non-signings are meant to address what flaws we saw over the course of that game. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You are an old, miserable, antagonistic, provoking jerk with nothing better to do than to start arguments.  

You are a young, clueless, know half as much as you think you do, passive aggressive dweeb with nothing better to do than feebly attempt to contend with your betters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I have a hard time blaming Ridley for a play where he was making the extra effort and putting himself at risk by doing so.  Ridley's play may have put the nail in the coffin so to speak, but it's hard to fault the guy for effort.  The Pats got outhit and outhustled on both sides of the ball and Flacco had a good game throwing it deep and taking advantage of mismatches all over the field.    

I can only say when those huge moments show up in a game you have to make the play. Period. Same goes with Welker's and Samuel's drops in the SBs.

When you are getting behind the 8-ball in a game like that one, job #1 has to be take care of the ball. No amount of effort changes that. All efforts must be bent to keeping the rock.

Sections
Shortcuts