Looking forward to SD's second round pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I love watching San Dieg lose. After checking out their schedule for the rest of the year, they should finish with a top 10 pick, which will be around the 42nd overall selection for the Pats.

SD remaining games are-

Colts
    Atlanta
    Oakland
    KC
    TB
    Denver

At 4-6, I see them only beating KC and Oakland and finishing at 6-10.

I expect the Pats to remain strong, but I'm realistic in thinking they will have somewhere near the 24th overall in the first. That wouldn't be so bad.

22th- TE Gresham
    42nd-
    54th-

I know it's early but I get into this draft stuff. Does anyone think they'll go with a TE in the 1st round? Maybe, maybe not, but this Gresham kid can flat out play. Maybe S since Rodney is nearing the end. But most likely, the Pats will select an O-line or trade out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Yes, watching San Diego lose is one of life's great pleasures. This week I'm searching for a theoretical physicist who can describe a scenario to me in which the Colts and Chargers can lose to each other this weekend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

We wont take a S in this draft we just took Merriwhether two years ago and he is just now coming into his own, when Harrison retires Sanders and Merriwhether will take over. And we wont WASTE a 1st round pick on a TE when we clearly need an elite O linemen or a CB or hell even a WR. We might take a TE in the later rounds but no way we go there in the first we will take a CB or a OT before we draft anything else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Like this pick alot. I see the Chargers winning at least three of the remaining six; making a 7-9 record. Still a terrible year for them. Anyone want to speculate on who the Pats might draft with this pick. I'll say CB Darius Butler (UCONN) or 3-4 DE Tyson Jackson(LSU). Anyone else care to speculate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

[Quote]Yes, watching San Diego lose is one of life's great pleasures. This week I'm searching for a theoretical physicist who can describe a scenario to me in which the Colts and Chargers can lose to each other this weekend.[/Quote]

It's called a tie after overtime, in which case the Indy tiebreaker against NE is useless, and the SD tiebreaker against NE (if they even had that slim hope for the number 6 playoff slot) is useless.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tscjigga. Show tscjigga's posts

Those prospects are second rounders right now.

Patriots would probably take a 3-4 OLB, and address CB in the second round. Vrabel is on a huge downside, and Thomas is the only consistent OLB we have. Without him we probably have the worst OLB corps in the league.

George Selvie
    Aaron Curry
    Brian Orakpo

DE doesn't need to be addressed until next year since we still have Seymour, it wouldn't hurt to add depth though.

SS is a pretty important need, but I would look for that in rounds 2/3.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[Quote]We wont take a S in this draft we just took Merriwhether two years ago and he is just now coming into his own, when Harrison retires Sanders and Merriwhether will take over. And we wont WASTE a 1st round pick on a TE when we clearly need an elite O linemen or a CB or hell even a WR. We might take a TE in the later rounds but no way we go there in the first we will take a CB or a OT before we draft anything else.[/Quote]

It's so hard to predict what SP and BB will do. I guess that's why it's so exciting. They could package thier first 2 picks to move up to around 15 or so but it's really not thier style. It looks like a deep year so I think they'll stay put.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

cushing lb usc 1st round
    rolle safety fsu 2nd round
    guard/tackle 2nd round

pick up raider's corner/carolina's gamble/or houston's dunta robinson to help our corners

as for the d-line I hope they re-up wilfork and green (make him a starter) and part ways with seymour (like him, but he is getting older and we can't afford him)

this is what i am hoping for--

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Call me crazy, but I just cannot root for the Bolts...even against the Colts.

I think we will start playing great football now.

I'm looking for an 11-5 record.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Hoping to part ways with Seymour is like hoping you break your arm. He has been his normal dominant self this year. You may be right that they won't be able to afford him when his contract is up, but his contract is not up after this year. He will have another year left.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tscjigga. Show tscjigga's posts

Cushings is overrated and is not a 1st round prospect.

And yeah Seymour is back to his pro-bowl form. I dread the next offseason where we have to decide whether to keep Wilfork, Seymour, Mankins, or combinations of the 3.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

a lot of talent comeing out next year,and free agents too,but there,s to much football left this season for me to worry about next season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Seymour's contract expiring in '10 is why I believe you can't entirely rule out taking a DE/DT or pass rush OLB with one of their first 3 picks. And I agree with anyone that says that the Pats need more help in the secondary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

OLB should be addressed in free agency, takes rookies to long to learn the position (Gholtson is a good example). TE and DL are the areas Pats seem to look at high in draft. The OL has played better since early struggles, can never have enough good fat guys though. The secondary already has lots of kids, probably another spot to look at for mid-level free agent, enough bargain basement. Big time free agent corners generally haven't won anything (Champ Bailey, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Asante).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I don't see a TE in the first round. I believe our first will and should be used for Oline or CB. TE along with RB, OLB more CBs will come in later rounds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Some FAs available in 09:

DBs: Ashmouga, Dunta Robinson, Dawon Landry !,Brian Dawkins, Kerry Rhodes, Courtland Finnegan (nice Irish surname)

LBs: Leroy Hill, John Vilma and others

OL: Vernon Carey and others

RBs: Brandon Jacobs (can't see the Giants letting him go unless it's too much money)

Please keep in mind that some of these FAs are unrestricted and others are restricted (give up picks). I'll agree with anyone that says most of these picks are expensive, however, a good question might be who and how much money comes off the Pats books in 09 (Tedy, Rodney, and Vrabal retire ?, Cassel leaves for big $$ elsewhere etc..). If anyone has any other FAs to put down; let me know. I am not saying the Pats will make a huge splash in the FA pool, I just think it's important to remember that the GM's job is acquiring players that can fit BBs system. I love Tedy, Mike, and Rodney, but it's difficult for me to see all three being with the team in '10. If you have a wishlist for FAs or draft prospects just post it here....I almost always respond.

Personally I would not mind having Dawon Landry ( the Ravens also have to deal with the contracts of Bart Scott and Ray Lewis).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

We have two young Safteys waiting to take over when Harrison retires so have absolutly no idea why so many of you guys think we are going to take a S in the first two rounds, no way we use a pick that early on a S when people are buzzing about how good Merriwhether is looking this season. In round 1 I hope we take a Left Tackle so we can move Matt Light to the right side, in the 2nd round i hope we take a CB as I have little faith in Wheatly and think he will be prone to injurys on a yearly basis and hope we go after another top flight CB and if im wrong about Wheatly well then we would have two 2nd round CBs on the team and that would take care of that. We have two 2nd round picks this year which makes me think we will trade one of those picks for a pick in the following years draft cause thats how we do but if we do stay put and use the extra 2nd round pick then i hope we take a WR but since they have struck out with Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson they most likely wont touch aWR that early in teh draft so maybe they will go out and get a DE/OLB but thats a big maybe personally I think Vrable will bounce back and have a big season next year so for those of you counting him out prepare to eat your words when he comes out next season and plays like a beast. I am hoping that if we dont take a WR in the early rounds that maybe we will draft a WR in teh later rounds like when we got David Givens in the 7th round and turned him into a great WR. I could also see us getting a TE in teh later rounds maybe round 4 or 5 and maybe a RB in the later rounds as well. I liked teh idea of signing a free agent CB instead of drafting one so if we could swing that and get a Dunta Robinson or a Chris Gamble so we wont have to use a draft pick on an early CB but instead focus on the oline and other skill posistions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcasey28. Show rcasey28's posts

Just pray they wont try and draft a receiver in the 2nd like Chad Jackson or Bethel Johnson. Granted Deion Branch was a 2nd rounder, but the Pats have not had much success drafting recievers early otherwise...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

MVP, One thing a want to clear up is that I am fine with Meriweather's play, but would like another serious banger (in the box or wherever) at DB. You say we are young and good there, why aren't you staying with Wilhite and Wheatley then as CBs of the future. Alot will depend on depth in the draft at various positions (there is depth at LT !), but we could see 5 LTs chosen before our pick is on the clock. Also of importance is who gets the Franchise Tag: 3 candidates in Baltimore (Lewis, Scott, Landry) my choosing Landry is based on the assumption that Scott is franchised and Lewis (their leader) is re-signed...not saying that will happen, just that it is possible. I also think it's possible that the Pats will trade draft picks to get quality starters (cf: Welker and Moss).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

good points Hannah, I am not sticking with the CBs you mentioned cause they have not made a name for themselves yet, i hope they work out for us but Sanders has already shown himself to be a good S and Merriwhether is turning heads this season as well so I feel like we are good there, maybe we bring in a veteran to share teh load with Sanders but i dont see us drafting a S this year. But Wheatly might not be enough so if we dont get a veteran CB who can start we need to draft another CB somewhere in the first 3 rounds this year. I would love to see us trade our picks the same way we did to get Moss and Welker i would be all about that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

All you people bashing Vrabel clearly don't care about the running game, where he has excelled all season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

So might are you saying its ok for Vrable to only excel in one area of teh game but its not ok for a guy who is on the bubble? As far as I know this is the pros and in the pros you need to excel in all areas of the game, last year Vrable was all over the place and this year he is only showing up in the running game and that might be ok to you and hell its ok with me cause i am sure he is just tired from last season but other people have the right to point it out and say they are dissapointed in his play thus far, we expect guys like Vrable to produce year in and year out and this year he is only playing well in the running game and like i said that might be enough for you but most people expect him to show up on every play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

hey it says Taz posted something, but i can't see it. what gives?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Yeah, well, most people are a bunch of spoiled brats who want to fire the defensive coordinator every time we lose a game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

its right above your post what are you talking about? new flash guys Leon is actually having a back and forth with me on the New Yorker apoligizing thread i think its the longest conversation anyone has ever had with Leon!!! He is trying to convince me that he played college ball at a Div 1 school! This is the same Leon we all thought was 14 how funny is that!

Sections
Shortcuts