Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB?

ridley and vereen will be good for this team if mcdaniels actually gets them involved....hopefully they go after a receiver like lloyd or bowe or mike wallace...mario williams would be a great addition as well

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB?:
    and it's year 2 of the "rebuilding", we made it to the SB, year 3 can only get better. I dont see the team aging/slowing down on any front.
    Posted by amun

The patriots have been trying to rebuild this team since at least 2006...so, it's been 5 years in the making.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Better offensive managment/calling, which I'm homing McDaniels will bring.  A deep threat could go a long way, if for no other reason then to take the top off of opposing defenses.  Our biggest need is on D and that's where the majority of the draft should be focused.  A dynamic pass rusher and a play maker in the secondary would be huge. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Better offensive managment/calling, which I'm homing McDaniels will bring.  A deep threat could go a long way, if for no other reason then to take the top off of opposing defenses.  Our biggest need is on D and that's where the majority of the draft should be focused.  A dynamic pass rusher and a play maker in the secondary would be huge. 
    Posted by agill1970

I have my fingers crossed about McDaniels. I recall losing an eerily similar Super Bowl with McDaniels when we had a better offense and defense to a Giants team with a worse offense and about the same level of defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to "Re: Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB?":
    I think we have a core who can get back to the SB, but still think we are missing some key things that would give them a better chance at winning the SB. Unless BB is successful in finding a way to beat teams like the Giants....we may very well see playoff frustrations continue. Posted by BubbaInHawaii
    When they play the Ravens if Pollard is playing they need to make him unhealthy early. Revenge less so then he injures our players, I freely admit I would like to seem carted off with a season ending leg injury combined with a severe concussion. No other player do I wish injury for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

IMo I'm going to break it down to O and D

On O:

1) If we are going to run a 2 TE set then we need 3 starting caliber TE's. Lets face it Hern isn't a full time TE. He's a H-back that also plays slot WR. Solder was our second inline blocker this year. But, if either Gronk or Hern gets hurt all of a sudden our 2 TE base O stops functioning. If we are going to move forward with this base O we need a legit #3 TE who can be an inline blocker and catch passes every so often.

2) An outside the numbers WR. Doesn't mean someone to take the top off but just a sideline threat. Whether that is a possession WR with great ball/body control or a burner you need someone to de-cluster the inside of the field.

3) A running game. In the games we lost this year we were imbalanced. When we have a 2:1 passing ratio we lose plain and simple. We need to develop a stable running game early and get rushers off Brady's back. If a 4 man rush is Brady's kryptonite the best way to neutralize it is with a strong running game

On D:

1) A consistent pass rush. No more band-aids and older vets that wear down. We need speed, power, and agility. We've seen the difference when we can get a stable pass rush going and when we can't. It's night and day. They need to spend early and big to fix that front 7 in the draft and get some young players who can consistently provide pressure to the QB both interior and exterior

2) Vets in the secondary. The biggest thing I saw was our DB's being beat on basic moves. THere's a reason most of our guys are UDFA's because they will get beat from time to time on basic moves. Rooks will get beat on basic moves in the pro's too. What we need are vets who have gone through the growing pains and understand where they need to be, what the WR's are trying to do, and simply put themselves in a position to prevent a big play.

As the team stands I think they can get back to the SB but if the fix the above I have no doubt they can win the SB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

HEART!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

IMo I'm going to break it down to O and D On O: 1) If we are going to run a 2 TE set then we need 3 starting caliber TE's. Lets face it Hern isn't a full time TE. He's a H-back that also plays slot WR. Solder was our second inline blocker this year. But, if either Gronk or Hern gets hurt all of a sudden our 2 TE base O stops functioning. If we are going to move forward with this base O we need a legit #3 TE who can be an inline blocker and catch passes every so often. 2) An outside the numbers WR. Doesn't mean someone to take the top off but just a sideline threat. Whether that is a possession WR with great ball/body control or a burner you need someone to de-cluster the inside of the field. 3) A running game. In the games we lost this year we were imbalanced. When we have a 2:1 passing ratio we lose plain and simple. We need to develop a stable running game early and get rushers off Brady's back. If a 4 man rush is Brady's kryptonite the best way to neutralize it is with a strong running game On D: 1) A consistent pass rush. No more band-aids and older vets that wear down. We need speed, power, and agility. We've seen the difference when we can get a stable pass rush going and when we can't. It's night and day. They need to spend early and big to fix that front 7 in the draft and get some young players who can consistently provide pressure to the QB both interior and exterior 2) Vets in the secondary. The biggest thing I saw was our DB's being beat on basic moves. THere's a reason most of our guys are UDFA's because they will get beat from time to time on basic moves. Rooks will get beat on basic moves in the pro's too. What we need are vets who have gone through the growing pains and understand where they need to be, what the WR's are trying to do, and simply put themselves in a position to prevent a big play. As the team stands I think they can get back to the SB but if the fix the above I have no doubt they can win the SB
    Posted by PatsEng

Amen PatsEng. I think the Pats at this point are 7-1 to return to the SB next year per Vegas. Address your points above, and we have a very good shot at returning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Offense: 
    1) A couple obvious things here, a WR (my thinking is they will sign B. Lloyd as Brady's #1 WR - Lloyd said he wants to go where McDaniels goes! so we'll see).

2) A RB (I think they'll kick the tires on Cedric Benson here - I believe the Pats did show interest in him last season and this season, I think they grab a upgrade at RBack to try and take some pressure off of Brady - and perhaps bring back the Play Action Fake!)

3) Besides these two above moves on offense, I think they will plug in some interior offensive lineman   -etc- Center/RG if Waters hangs it up. 

Defense:
    1,2,3) I'm hoping this time around they spend some money on FA defensive players like Mario Williams plus others.  The Pats cannot go through another season ranked towards the bottom defensively.  They need to upgrade the talent on the defensive side!  Use their top picks this year on Young Defensive Talent!  DE's/OLB's and Cover Corners/Safety.  I feel if they HIT the FA market hard plus the Draft, they can make good strides defesively for next season with some of the players that are already here. 

Special Teams:
    1) Please get a player who can run back kicks! (Someone who is a threat to take it all the way, or even give brady and Co. good field position!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

IMO, we need a safety, Griffin/Landry come to mind, both are FA's and both are above average. I would prefer Griffin over Landry due to Landry's achilles issue BUT having either guy would be amazing.

Corners are set, IMO. Devin should improve with a full offseason's work, Ras-I looked good before injury and that was without a full offseason's work + he was a rookie. Arrington did an amazing job against Cruz in the Super Bowl, any chance he mans the nickle from here on out?

If we stay 4-3, a DT and DE would be ideal pickups via draft. Getting Carter and Anderson back would also help. If we go 3-4, we need a 3-4 DE and a OLB that can rush.

On offense, Lloyd would make sense at WR( he said he would follow McDaniels, lets hope BB is down with that) adding a C via draft would be nice. We are set at QB, TE, RB, OT, OG for next year.

So FS, DE, DT, WR and maybe a C to develop?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Continue to win.  I don't care what you say, what players you tout and all that crap, what the Patriots do is win.  Yes, they just lost what is really just the last game of the season, despite all the hoopla.  I expect the Patriots to continue to win many games for the foreseeable future and as fans we should be glad for that.  In order to get to the big show, you have to win.  Goal number one.  It will be achieved. Beyond that no predictions.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ayisyen. Show Ayisyen's posts

In Response to Re: Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB? : We have a running game, we just ddin't use it. When BJGE and Ridley were used in Oakland, they ran amuck.  You can't give your lead back 10 carries and then say "we have no running game", especially with a Now, if you're talking about a better back, one that will cost a lot in trade, like a Maurice JOnes Drew, one we'd have to sign to Chris Johnson type money in order to force Brady to use a great RB, then fine. The problem with is, Brady gets paid 20 mil, Mankins 9 million and the forumla is already thrown off. BJGE is the best kept secret in the NFL at this position, but simply isn't used. The guy doesn't fumble and is very effective when used as a lead back here. Talk to BB, Bill O'Brien and Brady as to why he's subbed for constantly and why they don't lean on him. If they simply got him 20 more carries, 10 in the second half, especially more on the last few drives, we are sitting here as SB champs. Plain and simple.  So, we have a far more pricey QB than what he had in 2009, before the lockout and the cap was scaled back a bit, and now because we have a stubborn/blinded HOF QB, we need to rein him by paying more for the RB position? Ok. But, that's not easy to do, especially after selfish Mankins not proving his worth.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Well said.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

how about some basic tackling techniques on defense?.....never seen so many missed tackles then I saw this year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In Response to Re: Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB? : We have a running game, we just ddin't use it. When BJGE and Ridley were used in Oakland, they ran amuck.  You can't give your lead back 10 carries and then say "we have no running game", especially with a Now, if you're talking about a better back, one that will cost a lot in trade, like a Maurice JOnes Drew, one we'd have to sign to Chris Johnson type money in order to force Brady to use a great RB, then fine. The problem with is, Brady gets paid 20 mil, Mankins 9 million and the forumla is already thrown off. BJGE is the best kept secret in the NFL at this position, but simply isn't used. The guy doesn't fumble and is very effective when used as a lead back here. Talk to BB, Bill O'Brien and Brady as to why he's subbed for constantly and why they don't lean on him. If they simply got him 20 more carries, 10 in the second half, especially more on the last few drives, we are sitting here as SB champs. Plain and simple.  So, we have a far more pricey QB than what he had in 2009, before the lockout and the cap was scaled back a bit, and now because we have a stubborn/blinded HOF QB, we need to rein him by paying more for the RB position? Ok. But, that's not easy to do, especially after selfish Mankins not proving his worth.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

I agree with most of what you said here Rusty, but in one note your saying to trade for MJD (which is interesting of course) but then in the next breath your saying that BJGE is a lead back.  
    Ridley and BJGE ran ALL over Oakland BECAUSE OAK was NOT good against the RUN this past season. 
    When BJGE plays against a team which is tops against the Run, the Pats usually shy away from the run, becasue the Pats know he (bjge) isn't going gain those tough 50-60 yds vs a top notch run D.  (It's NOT a knock on BJGE!  I like him a lot as well! and he doesn't fumble) />

Your idea about MJD is a good one, b/c a guy like MJD brings back (or would bring back) the PLAY Action FAKE! which Brady can't really Sell it at all with BJGE b/c opposing D's don't respect BJGE. 
    My thinking was a guy like Cedric Benson?  Not sure what he has left in the tank but maybe this would work?  not sure. 

I do think Brady though, needs an upgrade at RB to take pressure OFF of #12.  We haven't won anything since we had Corey Dillon at RB.  That should say something here.  I know they snagged Ridley / Vareen in last yrs draft, but those guys are just kids right now... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

1st: Brady needs to get back to being Brady. I am not sure it is possible at his age. But he has lost his edge, his mojo, his fire and passion. The intensity is just not there anymore I don't think. And it all started to slide when he met/dated/Gisele. If he can shed that soft image and bring back the fire and the passion and the patience, then the PATS stand a good chance again next year. 2nd: the D has to return to its smashmouth days. They were much improved by the end of the season, and I suspect they will add some talent that will only help them get better. 3rd: a crafty speedy wide receiver. 4th: more imagination on the offense. I thought it was lacking in the SB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

Time to focus on D. With out it the Pats can't win, they have proven this to us.

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts