Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amun. Show amun's posts

Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB?

goldson and carlos rodgers are FA, both unlikely to get tagged.

A couple of rookie pass rushers would be nice.

...and please just pick up a certified, NFL proven, deep threat, there are 4-5 available via FA and maybe a few more to be traded for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from krb1981. Show krb1981's posts

Re: Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB?

I agree amun.  I would say they use the 2 first rounders they have this year and try to get a shut down corner and a good pass rusher. the draft is deep this year, and they need to get some quality guys to help brady while he is  still around. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Another season like this past season with improved defensive play, a legitimate deep threat, a running game that works and a different result when they play in SBXLVII!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amun. Show amun's posts

The problem with shut down cornersis they are hard to pick out of the draft, even if you do find a decent pick, they have to learn the system  (ie Devin) and we have sucked at drafting a deep threat. I would be ok giving up a 1st rounder for mike wallace and w/e else he may cost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I think we have a core who can get back to the SB, but still think we are missing some key things that would give them a better chance at winning the SB. Unless BB is successful in finding a way to beat teams like the Giants....we may very well see playoff frustrations continue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amun. Show amun's posts

and it's year 2 of the
    "rebuilding", we made it to the SB, year 3 can only get better. I dont see the team aging/slowing down on any front.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Time retools the offense and defense units. 
    Defensive:  The Pats need a solid defensive back and corner back (some ones like Ty Law and Rodney Harrison, and an offensive lineman that can protect TB.
    Offensive:  They need a star receivers not Deion or Ocho ( Someone like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In Response to Re: Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB?:
    Time retools the offense and defense units.  Defensive:  The Pats need a solid defensive back and corner back (some ones like Ty Law and Rodney Harrison, and an offensive lineman that can protect TB. Offensive:  They need a star receivers not Deion or Ocho ( Someone like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald.
    Posted by profootball

They don't need a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Having receivers like them also eat up way to much cap space because they get QB money

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SchwillyPete. Show SchwillyPete's posts

Never.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

The Pats need to retool the front 7. Everything is predicated around a strong front 7. Carlos Rodgers and Goldson were never anything special until this season. 49ers had the front 7 to make them look better than they are. Also, Goldson will probably get tagged...Rodgers will ask for big money.

Pats don't need shutdown corners. They just need disciplined mediocre corners... A good DE and OLB would make a world of a difference. Pressure is everything.

WR, they need a Lloyd type receiver. FA i think is the way to go. Brady's window is closing and dont think BB will be patient enough to let a WR develop as Brady declines.

Also should probably draft a center

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Most here are looking at this team all wrong. THis is not an aging team. The SB champ teams were different teams ALTOGETHER. Different coaches (except for BB and DS), different players (except for Brady), different O and D schemes.

This team really started being built in the current image two years ago. Yes we drafted Volmer and Mayo earlier and got Welker earlier, etc., etc. But essentially the last two years has given us a totally different offense with the two TE monster. It has given us a very different group on the O line - a group that looks like ti will be an especially good one. And don't underestimate that: games are one and lost in the trenches. The draft of Ridley and Vereen could prove to be huge: Ridley already has had an impact in spite of not making a contribution to the SB. Vereen may be the big playmaker everyone is hoping for: a guy who is both tough and can be explosive to the outside and downfield and is a superb recevier. THink Ray Rice but a better receiver and more accomplished route runner.

There is now a core group in the middle of the D that they are building around (not all new players: Mayo, Spikes, Chung and Vinny). There are a group of very coachable football players on O and D and special teams.

If they can add players to the edge of the D: DE, OLB, CB. Just one of each but players that are truly good enough to be core of a more dominant D. Of course I would love to see more.... another upgrade at safety, a second CB, a second DE or OLB. Even an upgrade outside of Vinny on the inside of the D line. But those three if they are high quality will be enough I believe to turn this D into something fearful. Especially when paired with an efficient, flexible, physical O that can run and pass. ANd yes I would like to upgrade over Branch. But the point is - THIS TEAM IS A TEAM ON THE RISE. Not a team stuggling for one more shot!. Brady is key and he is up there in age. But what BB is building will do well after Brady. And Brady may play another 3-5 years - effectively, efficiently.

This is a team on the RISE. I am looking forward to seeing how the roster gets upgraded - even if BB does not follow my inclinations.

I WOULD GIVE THE PATS A BETTER THAN EVEN SHOT AT GETTING BACK TO THE SB NEXT YEAR and I expect the team to be better than this one. 4 picks in the first two rounds, cap space, a good place for a veteran to choose to go, the taste of the SB in the mouths of not only the Bradys and Welkers but everyone... and frankly BB has been exceptional.

Looking forward to 2012.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Step one:  Hire whoever identifies defensive line talent for the Giants.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think they had better be aggressive during free agency. They always talk about having guys that never quit, question is is the front office approaching fee agency with the same vigor? Are they going to approach it like they can't be denied when it comes to acquiring high quality free agents?

Having 18 undrafted free agents might sound like a wonderful feel good story, but it's very telling that those guys were on the team at all...it's because draft picks and low quality free agents failed.

I don't want to see Kyle Love and his wonderful work ethic getting man handled on run blocks in the Super Bowl again. When Dashon Gholdson is sitting in your office and you don't have a safety that can play - don't low ball the guy when you have 20 million of cap space staring you in the face.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from amun. Show amun's posts

Dashon is a win/win for the pats, the dude is big time discipline back there. you keep hearing how smart the guy is, I think BB wanted him and the front office couldn't get it done.

Dapats is right, more pressure up front will make our DB better. I dont want to waste high pick on any more corners, if we need a sure DB, get a solid FA like dashon and pay him his money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

more depth on defense, and some big gazelle WRs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We need to stop draftin high round busts and then resort to street scrubs to try and win SBs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

Resign welker (8-10 mil)
    Mario Williams at olb (8 mil est cost)
    a new center for their own 2nd rounder
    a pass rushing de with the saints 1st
    trade out of their own 1st to late 2nd and pick up a 1st next year and take the best available player. 
    another db or wr with the raiders 2nd
    a fa safety to be named later.
    These would be good starting points.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Need a deep threat and an improved secondary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

I like the kid from Oklahoma State ' Blackmon. He is like Brandon Marshall.

In Response to Re: Looking forward. What do we need to get back to the SB? : They don't need a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Having receivers like them also eat up way to much cap space because they get QB money
    Posted by dapats1281

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think our defensive line talent is relatively low right now, when you look at the years we were winning Super Bowls we were loaded on the line, we need more there. I like Wilfork, but the guy needs some major help - watching Love get turned and twisted half the game by a no name Giants offensive line was disturbing. Watching a nice solid defensive tackle type be asked to get wide in a pass rush on end (Deadrick), is not something that scares left tackles. Shaun Ellis was good for maybe 40 snaps this year, other than that he either didn't play or shouldn't of been. Gerrard Warren is nothing but a rotational guy.

We need guys with some size, strength, length and speed to play 34 end in this scheme. I'd love to see what guys like Spikes, Mayo and Anderson would look like if if they had more space to make plays.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Foona. Show Foona's posts

I think the pats will use both 1st and both 2nd rounders this year and not trade them for next year. Bob Kraft is really starting to show age and I think the team had to make a strong effort over the next couple years to win now while Brady is still prime.... try to win another while Kraft is still around to see it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Considering we can't protect Brady in a pass happy offense, telling good pass rushing teams we are passing, "a deep threat" is pointless. That's the same flawed logic from 2007, early 2008, all of 2009 and early 2010 before MOss was dealt. Ochocinco was a fine deep threat this year.  We just didn't incorporate that. 1. Trade for MJ Drew. A 1st and a 2nd, and throw in Woodhead if need be. 2. Trade a 3rd or maybe the other 2nd for Jared Allen. 3. Resign Carter and Anderson.  And Brian Waters if he wants.  Branch too.  4. Kick the tires on Brandon Lloyd, Reggie Wayne, Mario Williams and Courtland Finnegan (check price on Williams and base decision off of Jared ALlen availability). Maybe with MJD as a lead back McDaniels and Brady in particular will feel compelled to feed MJD so he's getting around 20 carries per game. His contract is up after this year and he may want out especially if Jax plans to move the team under new ownership. Jax may be attracted to the picks to build around Gabbert more v.s. needing to break the bank for a Chris Johnson contract. Use your 1st rd pick on a legit 3 down DT/DE type for a 4-3. Move McCourty to Safety, Dowling to compete with Moore at LCB, Arrington competes with Finnegan at RCB.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Actually , I think they did a decent job of protecting Brady. They do lack a game -changing wideout. Ochocinco was a bust, who never really learned the offense. There are a few good wide receivers available in the draft and free agency.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

we need some playmaker on D  and a legit deep threat  the blue print to beat us is out now  shut down the Te's and limit the slot guys and you have a good chance to win few teams have personel to pull it off  but that is the basic plan against us  and they dont repsect the long ball  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Clock management is all we need, which is offensive play calling. Nothing else as we were a 1st down away from winning this game. Although I'm not sure we would have run the clock out had WW caught that ball. We may have gone end zone 3 straight plays.

Sections
Shortcuts