Looks like Kenbrell Thompkins is the new Lloyd.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Looks like Kenbrell Thompkins is the new Lloyd.....

I don't know. I don't think Lloyd was open that often. But Lloyd also didn't run himself out of plays. One is a rookie ... the other was a guy who lost a step.

KT needs to hit the books. I get it, that the offense comes fast at you, but it's his responsibility. 

The sideline route, where he over-ran his route, almost cost NE a turnover. He took a pass out of bounds that should have been a catch. He ran a dig route out of the endzone costing NE a TD. And he didn't cut out on that last play. Those are all rookie mistakes. 

Lastly ... it's unfair to hold sideline WRs to the same "atts/recs" standard that we hold a slot player too ... the completion percent is always going to be a touch lower. 

I don't want to pile onthis kid after a very tough game for him. It was a learning experience, and if this team is going *anywhere* it's going to have to involve rookies. He is a key rookie. 

Let's hope he picks it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Thompkins made some rookie mistakes but I think he has good hands and showed the ability to get open. My gut feeling is that he is going to work out pretty well, he will likely be faster and more able to get open than Lloyd. That said our lack of receiving depth is going to be factor. 

The Jets are going to come ready to play, fired up after their ridiculous game 1 win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I didn't see anything that wasn't correctable.  He needs to get on the same page as Brady in his reads, become accustomed to what Brady expects in certain situations, develop a better sense of field awareness and get the toe-tapping thing down.  All of those things can be fixed over the course of the season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

To be fair, Boyce was the 4th WR on Sunday and our team isn't using a lot of spreads anymore.

Some FB use, more in line TE use, etc.

On Thurs, however, yes, he will need to step up and I think he will. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Pats hardly used any 3+ WR sets at all . . . only on 59 plays . . . 

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- A look at the positional groupings utilized by the Patriots and analyzing what it means (as charted in press box, small margin for error): 

3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 53-of-94 
    2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 18-of-94 
    2 WR/1 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 14-of-94 
    4 WR/1 RB -- 5-of-94 
    1 WR/2 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 2-of-94 
    3 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 1-of-94 
    3 WR/1 FB/1 RB -- 1-of-94 

(Snaps includes penalties. End-of-first-half kneel-down not included. End of second-half plays counted as they were setting up final field goal.) 

ANALYSIS: While the Patriots have a reputation as a two-tight end offense, the groupings utilized Sunday show that they leaned much more heavily on a three-receiver package (Kenbrell ThompkinsJulian EdelmanDanny Amendola). The coaches rotated the tight end they employed with that grouping. A four-receiver package was also unveiled, with rookie Josh Boyce coming on over a tight end. ... With less of a focus on multiple-TE packages, we saw the team turn to a traditional fullback (James Develin) more than the norm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think thompkins will be fine. It will take some time. The question is can we keep winning while the rooks are learning? I would have said yes if Vereen was healthy, Gronk came back and Danny was okay, but without the 3 of them, it's going to be a very bumpy ride. Please fasten your seatbelts.

in retrospect, the failed Emmanuel sanders signing I wish we could take back. Especially given where we are at the WR position and the amount of money we are under the cap. An extra mil would have secured his services and probably would be a much needed vet right now given the state of our pass catchers. I also think it would have taken a bit of pressure off of the rooks to develop (maybe good, maybe bad). Lets see...Emmanuel sanders for a 3rd or Harmon for that same 3rd? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

lloyd is all world compared to this guy

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Everyone is taking this post the wrong way, I mean Thompkins is looked like Lloyd because of the amount of targets he received last week and we wasnt open on a couple just like Lloyd Last year. He was over targeted and I'm afraid Thompkins may end up being the same for TB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

itvwas clear the timing between he and Brady was off a bit. A few ofvThe routes he ran on the sidelines were thrown into tight spaces and required him to break his route and come back. That is timing. 

It was also a lack of footing. Most of the skill guys looked like they were playing on ice, not field turf or A_Turf or whatever they have in Buffalo. It was also the probable reason his routes were rounded off all game long.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I think thompkins will be fine. It will take some time. The question is can we keep winning while the rooks are learning? I would have said yes if Vereen was healthy, Gronk came back and Danny was okay, but without the 3 of them, it's going to be a very bumpy ride. Please fasten your seatbelts.

in retrospect, the failed Emmanuel sanders signing I wish we could take back. Especially given where we are at the WR position and the amount of money we are under the cap. An extra mil would have secured his services and probably would be a much needed vet right now given the state of our pass catchers. I also think it would have taken a bit of pressure off of the rooks to develop (maybe good, maybe bad). Lets see...Emmanuel sanders for a 3rd or Harmon for that same 3rd? 

Every game that Harmon doesnt play, you have to ask WHY? Esp sitting so far under the cap as some have said. I was excited about getting Eman in here. He was a vet in his prime who wasnt injury prone. Exactly what Brady needed. Why they thought DA would be enough is beyong me but I'll roll with it. KT is gonna have to get up to speed and earn his keep.

Sections
Shortcuts