Looks like the 49ers might be done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Looks like the 49ers might be done

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2539/justin-smith

If you can't read the link, Justin Smith has a partially torn triceps.

Huge loss. He is a VW type of player (Huge impact with little stats to show for it)

I think this absolutely cripples the SF defense that already looks like its tiring and may be playing without a bye.

In my non expert opinion, SF represents one of two teams that really have a good shot at beating GB (SEA the other one)

Like the Pats, it looks like GB should have its 4 big weapons (Cobb, Nelson, Jones, Jennings) all healthy together for the first time since the early weeks of the season.

This is probably the scariest team going into the playoffs. Since 2008, Rodgers has a 34:4 TD:INT ratio in domes. This isn't counting playoff games (AZ, ATL, DAL). Whoever comes out of the AFC, this GB team may be the toughest matchup, and it's looking more and more like this will be the Super Bowl rep in the NFC

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Looks like the 49ers might be done

over under GB-NE: 90

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Huge loss. He is a VW type of player (Huge impact with little stats to show for it)

I think this absolutely cripples the SF defense that already looks like its tiring and may be playing without a bye.

In my non expert opinion, SF represents one of two teams that really have a good shot at beating GB (SEA the other one)

Like the Pats, it looks like GB should have its 4 big weapons (Cobb, Nelson, Jones, Jennings) all healthy together for the first time since the early weeks of the season.

This is probably the scariest team going into the playoffs. Since 2008, Rodgers has a 34:4 TD:INT ratio in domes. This isn't counting playoff games (AZ, ATL, DAL). Whoever comes out of the AFC, this GB team may be the toughest matchup, and it's looking more and more like this will be the Super Bowl rep in the NFC

[/QUOTE]

Actually, SF was a team I was hoping would get knocked off. Seems like a bad matchup for the Patriots anyway.

Wasn't Smith out for most of the comeback in the Pats game? Or should I say the PAts started coming back when he was out?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I would rather play Greenbay than Seattle. The Seahawks are down right scary and peaking at the right time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, SF was a team I was hoping would get knocked off. Seems like a bad matchup for the Patriots anyway.

Wasn't Smith out for most of the comeback in the Pats game? Or should I say the PAts started coming back when he was out?

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Smith got injured during the comeback

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to jerh5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I would rather play Greenbay than Seattle. The Seahawks are down right scary and peaking at the right time.

[/QUOTE]

Tough for me to say. Seahawks are scary good too.

GB's weakness it its Oline. Im not sure the Pats can create enough pressure to exploit that.

Jones and Jordy will be on the outside. Randall Cobb against Arrington? Don't know how theyll use Jennings, but he'll draw our 4th best cover guy...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt say they are done. J.Smith is a great player and leader but he is long in the tooth.  P.Willis and A.Smith are still the premiere defenders on that team with plenty of help. They could lose a few players and still operate better than our D so you are saying we are done too?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Denver and Seattle are the teams to beat right now. Both are balanced and peaking, the Pats will have a hard time if they play anything but a great game against either.

But........my suggestion would be to worry about Cincinatti right now. The chances of Houston losing this game aren't good so that's what I'm looking at.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt say they are done. J.Smith is a great player and leader but he is long in the tooth.  P.Willis and A.Smith are still the premiere defenders on that team with plenty of help. They could lose a few players and still operate better than our D so you are saying we are done too?

[/QUOTE]

Terrible comparison. Is there offense as good as ours? No. Are they in the easier AFC like us? No. He may be long in the tooth, but he still plays at an extremely high level. Their defense is still better than ours, but they potentially have to play high powered offenses like GB, ATL and WAS...and I didn't even mention SEA who put up 42 on them. Yes, they have a lot of good defense players left, but hes an integral part of that defensive line that makes everything else run so much better.

Remember how much easier it was for the Pats to run in last seasons AFC championship with Ngata on the sidelines? I think we will see a similar effect with Smith's absense.

Theyre still a very good defense, no doubt. But I still think they need that defense to carry the offense. Going to be way harder for them to do that now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Everyone is jumping on the Seahawks bandwagon but I don't see them going into GB and winning. They are a solid team but I believe the Pats would much rather play Seattle than GB or SF in the Superbowl. No way in hell we blow another 2 TD lead in the 4th quarter! It doesn't matter because GB is rolling right now. I also think the Falcolns are not going to just roll over this year. That may prove to be the best matchup if they can somehow squeak by in the NFC. It's great how we all naturally assume that the Pats will be representing the AFC!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I knew they were hiding something on him. He's a good player, but he gets dinged up a lot. 

Big loss, but I don't think that means they're done.  Kapernick and his inexperience will be their undoing.

[/QUOTE]

Don't know how dinged up he gets, but last sunday was the first game he's missed since 2001

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to jam757's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everyone is jumping on the Seahawks bandwagon but I don't see them going into GB and winning. They are a solid team but I believe the Pats would much rather play Seattle than GB or SF in the Superbowl. No way in hell we blow another 2 TD lead in the 4th quarter! It doesn't matter because GB is rolling right now. I also think the Falcolns are not going to just roll over this year. That may prove to be the best matchup if they can somehow squeak by in the NFC. It's great how we all naturally assume that the Pats will be representing the AFC!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Haha true. I'm not assuming the Pats will make it, not assuming anything, especially after 2007. Just playing the hypothetical game.

Just looking way ahead. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Sam-Adams' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Denver and Seattle are the teams to beat right now. Both are balanced and peaking, the Pats will have a hard time if they play anything but a great game against either.

But........my suggestion would be to worry about Cincinatti right now. The chances of Houston losing this game aren't good so that's what I'm looking at.

[/QUOTE]

SF news just seemed relevant at the time because I stumbled across the Justin Smith update.

I'm not a player/coach/staff member, so me looking ahead really has no impact on what happens with whoever the next playoff opponent is.

But as for Cinci, just need to contain AJ green and slow Geno Atkins. Their defense isn't all that great and Dalton is way too inconsistent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Terrible comparison. Is there offense as good as ours? No. Are they in the easier AFC like us? No. He may be long in the tooth, but he still plays at an extremely high level. Their defense is still better than ours, but they potentially have to play high powered offenses like GB, ATL and WAS...and I didn't even mention SEA who put up 42 on them. Yes, they have a lot of good defense players left, but hes an integral part of that defensive line that makes everything else run so much better.

Remember how much easier it was for the Pats to run in last seasons AFC championship with Ngata on the sidelines? I think we will see a similar effect with Smith's absense.

Theyre still a very good defense, no doubt. But I still think they need that defense to carry the offense. Going to be way harder for them to do that now.

[/QUOTE]

all u gotta do is disagree bro. No need to use the word terrible. How many points did San Fran drop on us again?? Their offense is more explosive since Colin took over. They take more chances and are scoring more points.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I knew they were hiding something on him. He's a good player, but he gets dinged up a lot. 

Big loss, but I don't think that means they're done.  Kapernick and his inexperience will be their undoing.

[/QUOTE]

Don't know how dinged up he gets, but last sunday was the first game he's missed since 2001

[/QUOTE]

I think he was battling injuries that affected him last postseason if I am not mistaken. Not talking about games lost to injury, but how he's been hampered a lot in recent years.  I certainly don't question his toughness.

[/QUOTE]

Don't remember that, but regardless, dinged up or not...

This is all you need to see to know how dominant he is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSyuDc6RJRI

No stats on the play, but a huge impact

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

You can look at the Redskins, they have been rolling with RG III. Hard to say who will come out of the NFC. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

u may be hoping for this but that "done" word is thrown around too often

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Big loss, the guy is a real good player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Why would anyone fear Seattle?  Arn't they the team we were beating by 11 in their house going into the 4th and should of beat if not for Brady's inability to put up 2 more TD's.  Damn that Brady for losing that game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Seattle outplayed SF for 4 quarters.  Start to finish, in every aspect of that game.  Not even a game.

There's a real good reason to fear that team's defense, as well as its prolific offense in the past several games.  Crazy stuff.  Seattle also had a legitimately competiitve schedule.

Much rather the Pats face GB than Seattle.  Anyone who watched our OLine crumple against the Jags knows why Seattle would damage the Pats even worse.  If Mankins got lit up against SF, I hate to think what he'll do against Seattle.  

That's the only NFC team that every playoff bound AFC team had better be concerned with. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

At any point in the season the tendancy is to overweight the most recent game(s). This is not necessarily wrong but it sometimes is not truly indicative of the team in question (for better or worse). This tendancy can be even more significant in the last couple of games of the season.

Sometimes it is accurate as a team may not be able to overcome injuries that are impacting them. If those players are not coming back in time then the impact should be expected to translate into the playoff performance.

Also, some teams just start to fall by the roadside as other teams start to figure out how to play them or counteract a key player or package. If they have no answer to how the league is adjusting to playing them then again it translates into performance in the playoffs.

But sometimes teams just have a bad stretch of 1 or 2 or 3 games. It happens. Not so aften does a really really good team have a 3 game stretch of really weak performance but it can happen. A short slump does not always translate into bad playoff performance. But there is that danger.

You want to be getting healthy now. You want to be playing good football now. The Seahawks are looking good. But is some of that based on flat opponents? Even if that is a factor they are playing very well. How good are they? One reason it is ahrd to say is because they have a rookie QB who has played hugely well recently. Is that because he is really that good right now or that he is a good rookie who is just very hot right now?

SF - are they played out? Is injury too much for them to overcome? Are they going to get a second wind? I would guess that they are a real threat and not a mirage.

GB - that offense is for real. In this league that is enough to make you a bonifide challenger. Hard to say just how good the team is as a whole but if they are healthy they should be dangerous. I agree that their O line is a potential achilles heel. THeir secondary too.

Atlanta - For some reason I just do not yet believe in them! But I am not far from it.

Denver - a very real contender.

NE - if healthy... if focused... they could beat any team. But the Pats do not have a lot of room for bad play if they are going to win it all.

I am not expecting much from Houston. Baltimore played so well last week that they make me wonder whether they should be considered in the same way they were early in the year. I do not think too much of any team from the NFC East.

My expectation is either Denver or NE from the AFC. SF, GB or maybe even Seattle from the NFC. I slightly favor NE and SF. ANd I slightly favor NE over SF. But the actual odds for any one specific team is less than 50-50.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts