Looks Like The Lawyers Were Left Out

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Looks Like The Lawyers Were Left Out

I agree. Get rid of the lawyers and lets get this thing settled.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Yes, eliminate all lawyers and Unions and a great country this will be again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Looks Like The Lawyers Were Left Out:
    Yes, eliminate all lawyers and Unions and a great country this will be again.
    Posted by tcal2-

You are so dead on with this post. Totally agree.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from +Mrboston. Show +Mrboston's posts

Do you know that Goodell and Smith are both lawyers? Did you know that they both had three or four lawyers with them? The post is wrong. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Mike Freeman of CBS Sports said it best:

In essence, what tore the two sides apart -- money -- might bring them back together. Initially, the fight was about owners and players wanting to keep more of it. Now, they've become civil over the fear of losing it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I think Mike Freeman of CBS Sports said it best:

In essence, what tore the two sides apart -- money -- might bring them back together. Initially, the fight was about owners and players wanting to keep more of it. Now, they've become civil over the fear of losing it.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Exactly prolate, there's plenty of money to go around. The longer this goes on, more and more fans will be turned off and less money will be available to split between them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Amen to purging all the lawyers from any and all discussions.Maybe I let them work out the legal jargon if you must but let them contribute or suggest nothing to the terms.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Yes lets eliminate all lawyers so the big big corporations can do whatever they want.  Dump your posions in or water supply go ahead.  Invent something new and have a big corporation just steal your idea and make millions off of it, completely fair.  Copyright laws, who needs em.  Heck lets just broadcast games without expressed written consent from the nfl, i'm going to start my own NFL network and you guys can all subscribe and pay me instead!!!!!!
    Brilliant idea.
    whoops a cop just charged you with a crime you didn't commit ... oh well

while i agree lawyers can cause problems they are clearly needed.  This lockout situation has a lot more to do with the owners wanting more than the union wanting more.  what don't you understand about it?  The players said lets keep the current deal that has been in effect for like 10+ years and the owners said no lets scrap the deal, lockout the season and try to put more money in the owners pockets.  what are you missing in this situation?

The owners locked out the season, the players didn't demand anything.  If your boss said i want you to take a pay cut, but he made record salary last year what would you say??  Last time I checked the owners were making huge profits as the NFL is the most sucessful sports biz in history.  If the owners were losing $ then they would have a point, but they aren't.  the owners are making big $, but want more $. The players are also making big $ but they aren't asking for more $.  Do you understand the owners locked out the season, not the players??? The owners stopped the season... repeat the owners....

King just like you don't know the difference between payroll and salary cap you don't know the difference between lockout and strike.  Who knows the difference between lockout and strike???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

the owners aren't making huge profits. the packers are a publically traded company and they only made 15 million net profit. when you have a billion $ stadium that isn't a lot of $. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yes lets eliminate all lawyers so the big big corporations can do whatever they want.  
    Posted by fancy-shamanski

Fancy, the "lawyers out of the room" mantra is the biggest non sequitur in the world. The only reason talks have restarted is because the season's starting to be placed in jeopardy and no one (players or owners) really wants to start losing money--whether in the form of paychecks or gate receipts.

Besides, Smith is a lawyer . . . and the source who commented on the negotiations said "there were no outside lawyers."  All that means is the lawyers the two sides have hired to argue their court cases (i.e., their litigators) weren't there. I'm sure their normal legal teams were either in the room or a phone call away. No deal will be signed without full legal review on both sides.  Business deals of this magnitude don't happen without lawyers. 

What the NFL owners didn't want was the players to take an anti-trust case to court. That is something that actually scares the NFL owners because there's a chance they could lose.  They'd much rather negotiate with a toothless union. When Kraft said "let's keep the lawyers out of the room" what he really meant was don't take this to court.  Sure, it would be nice to negotiate like friendly partners without having to file lawsuits . . . but if the owners really wanted friendly negotiations, they would have approached the whole negotiation more cooperatively, including being much more willing to share expense detail. What the owners really wanted was an upper hand.  The player's lawsuit made the playing field a bit more even and the owners didn't like lawyers being involved that way.  Businesses always complain about lawyers and lawsuits . . . unless they're their own lawyers and lawsuits.

As to Nate's point about profits: the Packers were only modestly profitable, but if Forbes's estimates are right, teams like the Cowboys were wildly profitable last year. Also, it's worth pointing out that the Packers and their stadium are publicly owned.  The taxpayers funded that stadium, not some private owner.  The taxpayers also funded a large portion of Jones's "Palace in Dallas."  The idea that the owners (on average) don't get sufficient returns on their investments is bogus for three reasons:  First, on average, NFL teams are quite profitable (at least if we rely on Forbes' estimates).  Second, the appreciation in value of teams is through the roof (again based on Forbes' estimates).  Third, owners' investment in the teams is not as large as people tend to think, especially when taxpayer funding of their largest cost (stadiums) is taken into account.  I don't see any reason to shed tears for billionaires who seem to think the taxpayers should fund their businesses!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

the owners aren't making huge profits. the packers are a publically traded company and they only made 15 million net profit. when you have a billion $ stadium that isn't a lot of $. 
    Posted by natesubs

The facts about Lambeau--not a billion dollar stadium at all.  It was built in 1957 (using public funds) for about $960,000.  It was renovated in 2000 for $295 million (again funded largely by taxpayers):

Rather than build a new stadium, Chairman/CEO Bob Harlan and President/COO John Jones unveiled a $295 million plan to renovate Lambeau Field in January 2000. It was to be paid for partly by the team via the 1997-98 stock sale, which netted more than $20 million. Most of the proceeds were to be paid through a 0.5% sales tax inBrown County and personal seat license fees on season ticket holders. After their plan won approval by the Wisconsin State Legislature, it was ratified by Brown County voters on September 12, 2000 by a 53%-47% margin. Construction began early in 2001.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u9JAt6gFqM

Sections
Shortcuts