Lose to Miami in order to face the Colts then Texans or Win out and Face Bengals or Steelers then Denver

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Lose to Miami in order to face the Colts then Texans or Win out and Face Bengals or Steelers then Denver

I think losing (or even not trying to win) to improve playoff position is a very slippery slope. For one thing, even two losses do not guarantee the Pats would fall to 4th. Secondly, it is not 100% that the Colts will be the 5th seed either (Pittsburgh actually would have the tiebreaker over Indy if both teams finish 9-7). 

If it were cut and dry and there was a team like last year's Denver team that really should not be in the playoffs, that would be one thing. 

Nothing is cut and dry in the AFC.  Heck the Dolphins still have a shot at the sixth seed... I think you play the starters to keep them from getting rusty, but take the out early to keep them from getting injured. Unless the Broncos lose this week you do not go all out for the bye.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Lose to Miami in order to face the Colts then Texans or Win out and Face Bengals or Steelers then Denver

In it to win it. No sluffing. Remember when we watched the Dolts let the Titans win one year-last game of the season. In that case I think it helped the Titans make the palyoffs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Interesting comments all.

That said ...

I whole-heartedly disagree that Bill Belichick would puposedly take a harder road to the SB .

I believe that after this weekend's games  - he'll do what he does in the final week of every season.

He'll meet with his staff and go over all the possible playoff scenarios that effect his team and then determine the path that gives them the best chance to win the AFC .

If that means tanking the Dolphin game to be able to accomplish the goal ...

So be it.

Whether that's ultimately a wise choice is up for debate.

IMO -

Here's a list of potential AFC playoff teams that I think the Pats would have an easier time getting a W against ( right now anyways )

1) Dolphins

2) Colts

3) Bengals

4) Ravens

5) Steelers

6) Texans

7) Broncos

Note :

In week 17 : Only the Broncos play a late game ( a layup at home to KC )

In the recent past the NFL has flexxed starting times so that teams playing later can't just await early game results and then sit starters ( if their games become meaningless )

This would mean that Dolphins at NE  /  Ravens at Cinc.Browns at Pit / Texans at Indy could all potentially be shifted to 4pm slots .

Then again we all know how the NFL loves their cash cow known as Peyton Manning and might be inclined to allow his team to be able to safely coast into the playoffs by resting key players.

I seriously doubt it's a coincidence that the NFL scheduled back to back Denver home games  to finish out the Broncos season .

If nothin' in the AFC gets flexed backwards in week 17 ( that effects Gomers team ) -

You can bet the fix is in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That said ...

I whole-heartedly disagree that Bill Belichick would puposedly take a harder road to the SB .

I believe that after this weekend's games  - he'll do what he does at the end of every season.

He'll meet with his staff and go over all the possible playoff scenarios that effect his team and then determine the path that gives them the best chance to win the AFC .

So be it.

IMO -

Here's a list of potential AFC playoff teams that I think the Pats would have an easier time getting a W against ( right now anyways )

1) Dolphins

2) Colts

3) Bengals

4) Ravens

5) Steelers

6) Texans

7) Broncos

Note :

In the recent past the NFL has flexxed starting times so that teams playing later can't just await early game results and then sit starters ( if their games become meaningless )

This would mean that Dolphins at NE  /  Ravens at Cinc.Browns at Pit / Texans at Indy could all potentially be shifted to 4pm slots .

Then again we all know how the NFL loves their cash cow known as Peyton Manning and might be inclined to allow his team to be able to safely coast into the playoffs by resting key players.

I seriously doubt it's a coincidence that the NFL scheduled back to back Denver home games  to finish out the Broncos season .

If nothin' in the AFC gets flexed backwards in week 17 ( that effects Gomers team ) -

[/QUOTE]

Only one game per week is able to be flexed.  The NFL certainly is not flexing games to make them more meaningless so they can make less money. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

No ones brought up that Ravens are playing so badly right now, they may not win either or their last 2, and finish 9-7, locking Pats into a 3 seed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"because according to price and purportedly pats players unofficially he did it before:"

Right but that was a totally different situation. Right now there is still a chance for a bye week. That will be the case next week as well. 

As a result I fully expect BB to try to win both games. The only exception I could see is if next week he decided he wants to rest more players given we likely won't have a bye. Which is not the same as tanking the game but could have the same result. In that case his priority would be injuries/health with a better matchup in the 4 seed as a likely bonus.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Shenanigan ...

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "Flex" .

( I wasnt talking about the lone Sunday night game )

I meant flexing from 1:00 pm to the 4:00 pm slot

( which the NFL has done on a regular basis for years now in week 17 when games have playoff implications on the line )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That said ...

I believe that after this weekend's games  - he'll do what he does at the end of every season.

So be it.

IMO -

1) Dolphins

2) Colts

3) Bengals

4) Ravens

5) Steelers

6) Texans

7) Broncos

Note :

[/QUOTE]

Only one game per week is able to be flexed.  The NFL certainly is not flexing games to make them more meaningless so they can make less money. 

[/QUOTE]

excellent post. and you are right about bb (and the nfl fix if not flexed-but heaard they did flex it). i posted an article written describing how he did it several years back (played to lose).

Sections
Shortcuts